• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Picasso's Death with Exhibits across Spain and France

peregrina2000

Staff member
This year marks the 50th year since Picasso’s death. Both the Spanish and French governments are mounting an extensive series of exhibits to commemorate his life and his art.

Here’s a link to a list of the exhibits across Spain, and a link to what’s going on in Madrid. And to the French project as well.

Madrid will have three exhibitions, one in each of the major art museums, at different times of the year.

I saw that there will be exhibits in A Coruña, Málaga, Barcelona, and Bilbao, so lots of pilgrims will be near one or more of these!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This year marks the 50th year since Picasso’s death. Both the Spanish and French governments are mounting an extensive series of exhibits to commemorate his life and his art.

Here’s a link to a list of the exhibits across Spain, and a link to what’s going on in Madrid. And to the French project as well.

Madrid will have three exhibitions, one in each of the major art museums, at different times of the year.

I saw that there will be exhibits in A Coruña, Málaga, Barcelona, and Bilbao, so lots of pilgrims will be near one or more of these!

I say,

Good news for anyone travelling via Madrid on their Camino this year! Like me, fingers crossed. On my way home from my hypothetical Camino, this summer, I will definitely check this one out ❤️:

There is an interesting Picasso museum in A Coruña. A flat which was his home for several years during his childhood. It has been refitted with furniture and fittings of the period and reproductions of work by the young Picasso and his father. A surprisingly intimate and "normal" space. And also gives the evidence that the young Pablo was a very competent draughtsman and could produce realistic work if he chose to! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've always thought that Guernica was the most realistic work he ever produced.
In a very boring summer holiday in the 1970s I borrowed a couple of books about Picasso from my local library in Scotland. One of them had a pull-out reproduction of 'Guernica'. I spent a very happy week pasting lining paper on the wall of my bedroom then attempting to reproduce it on about a 1:4 scale. I'm only just now appreciating in retrospect quite how tolerant a woman my mother was... :)

There is an interesting Picasso museum in A Coruña. A flat which was his home for several years during his childhood. It has been refitted with furniture and fittings of the period and reproductions of work by the young Picasso and his father. A surprisingly intimate and "normal" space. And also gives the evidence that the young Pablo was a very competent draughtsman and could produce realistic work if he chose to! :)

Thank you for this! I'll be in A Coruna in October.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thanks for letting us know. Do you know where a Picasso might be housed in Bilbao?

There isn't much, if any, work by the master on display in Bilbao. The Guggenheim has a few pieces in its permanent collection but not often on show. There will be a major exhibition in autumn (fall) 2023 as evidenced in @peregina2000 's link.
If you want some Picasso you may find this link helpful: http://www.spainisculture.com/en/propuestas_culturales/celebracion-ano-picasso-1973-2023.html

If you want lots of Picasso in Spain then it's Madrid & Malaga you'll need to visit

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Visited A Coruna for R&R after our Leon/SdC Camino in July 2018. The Picasso residence museum along with the old Roman Lighthouse are a must. Well worth the short train trip from SdC.

Attachments

• DSC_1834.jpg
    DSC_1834.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_1832.jpg
    DSC_1832.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_1807.jpg
    DSC_1807.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
If you want lots of Picasso in Spain then it's Madrid & Malaga you'll need to visit
The museum in Malaga, his birthplace is a gem.. There's a fascinating loop documentary running, from a war photo-journalist who spent some time living in his apartment, showing a very intimate side of Picasso's life. I will look in once again when I visit this lovely city in a few weeks..

There's a life size bronze statue of him sitting on a bench on one of the plazas too, a popular photo op.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The elder Picasso was a decent artist, and devoted a lot of his efforts toward drawing pigeons!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the exhibit that will be in Bilbao, at the Guggenheim (I just lifted it out of the link I posted earlier).

Picasso: Body and Matter. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (Bilbao). 29 September 2023 to 14 January 2024
Darn! Too late for my May/June Norte.

Hope to check out the birthplace museum this week. I'm headed for Malaga tomorrow!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back