• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picking a route for my Camino.

Luminaria

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept (2015)
Hi All. It seems like this topic must be under discussion someplace, but I'm not finding it. I'm in the very very early stages of planning my first Camino. I've lurked around this forum for a week or so now, soaking it all up. I haven't bought or read any guides at this point. So, I really need to start with a Beginner's Mind.

How did you go about choosing the route for your first Camino? What did you take into consideration? What route(s) would you suggest? I plan to have at least 4 weeks for my trek. I'm not an experienced hiker, but I do enjoy walking. I'll be walking over the course of the year before I take off next year. I haven't picked a departure date. In terms of weather, I'd like to point myself towards more moderate weather--not super hot, avoid blizzards :) I expect to love whatever route I end up on and hope to walk the Camino again in the future. I'll be on my own. I'm not attached to following a guide or stages. In fact, I'd really like to be able to poke around and break the longer walks up in the event I want a slower pace, or want to dawdle around and explore, or take easy days from time to time. I'm not in a rush.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Victoria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome, Victoria!

Background info first - Disclaimer: I have only walked the Frances to date. The first time because - - well, stuff just happened. I enjoyed it and was looking to go back. It was guiding a friend that put me on my second Camino Frances. Equally enjoyable though a totally different experience.

The Norte and the Via de la Plata both have my eye for the future and were candidates for my #2 after much reading, much of the expert testimony coming from here.

You have four weeks but want time to slow down and "mosey" a bit. CF fits, the Portuguese (all the way from Lisbon) also, the CN gets close, the VdlP (at least from Seville) does not. (The only reason I do not have the CP on my list is because having yet another language to grasp is a bit beyond me...maybe in a few years after my Spanish has "set".)

You want more temperate weather. A Spring (Late March - early April) or Fall (late Sept - early Nov) CF works just fine.

How are you with crowds? The CN is colder/wetter in Spring/Fall. Rumor has it that the Norte is getting a wee bit crowded during more seasonable weather periods.

How are you alone? One of the reasons I look wistfully at the VdlP is because of the more solitary nature of the walk even though it means dealing with longer stages and fewer amenities on the way. Because of the weather in this area, I would only consider it during early Spring or late Fall - I am not a fan of really hot weather.

This is just something to get the string rolling - you'll have more expertise than you can imagine showing up shortly! :)

B

I heard about the camino while taking Spanish classes in Granada. I was told it started in Roncesvalles and finished in Santiago.

Fast forward a few years and I am looking to escape a wet cold winter and decided to walk the camino. I didn't know about all the different walks ... when I made my plans there was only one camino ... no decision required. I am on this forum trying to figure out what to expect only to find that my travel arrangements were wrong ... the camino doesn't start in Roncesvalles; it starts in SJPdP.

So I get to SJPdP and meet another Canadian who is finishing her camino there ... she started in Le Puy.

While enroute to Santiago I find out the camino finishes in Finisterre and later that it finishes in Muxia.

A woman who is trying to get rid of pack weight tries to fob off her camino Portugues guide book.

I found a map in the albergue in Santiago showing caminos starting from all over Europe ... kind of like a tree with the trunk getting thicker the closer you get to Santiago.

So perhaps too much information isn't a good thing.

If this is your first camino ... I'd suggest sticking to the better traveled routes ... Camino Frances, Camino del Plata, or Camino Portuguese.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like a perfect attitude for getting the best out of your camino. However the Ingles on it's own would be far to short for your time scale unless you were to add onto it something else.

Hi Victoria!

I guess the 'default' first Camino is the Camino Frances, because it offers so many options for accommodation and other facilities. Most days you can choose to do a fairly short distance if that's all you feel like doing. This isn't true of the Via de la Plata, for example. I walked the last 100kms of the VDLP this year, and everyone I met had done a Camino in the past. They said that at times they had no choice but to walk 30kms in one day, which would be around my limit!

Other routes are definitely an option though, especially as facilities develop. The Camino Portugues and Camino del Norte spring to mind, but I've walked neither of those so others would advise better. On the quieter routes it will definitely help if you speak the language, and it may also help if you are able to stay in hostals/hotels as well as albergues.

The time of year you choose is a bit of a balance between getting good weather but trying to avoid a rush for beds. The busiest time of year for pilgrims arriving in Santiago is July/August, but this is affected by a huge number of people doing relatively short Caminos from places like Sarria. If you look at longer-distance pilgrims, the busiest periods are spring and autumn to avoid weather extremes.

Although you're travelling alone and are not in a rush, those you meet and walk with will probably have some time limits. You may find that you want to stay with a nice group, and end up going a bit faster than you expect. That's just one of those things that you can't really plan, but there's always the option of walking on to Finisterre after Santiago if you arrive earlier than expected.

With a bit of flexibility you'll have a great time whichever route you choose. Buen Camino!

Hi Victoria!
Good to have you - welcome to this wonderful forum.
To some extent the camino you choose will depend on the time of year you start. There are thirty different 'caminos' - yes, THIRTY :). The one everyone knows is the French one: and because everyone knows it, it tends to be busy - VERY busy during the summer months. Often you can see pilgrims ahead of you: turn round and there are more catching you up.
I prefer a more solitary route which gives me time to talk to the animals and insects - yes, and God, too! I will still find a few other pilgrims who will become my 'camino family' as I walk - an important part of the experience.
Next year I'm planning on walking the Ruta del Ebro. I know it will be quiet - and that suits me.
On my web-site are my diaries for some of the other caminos which I've walked ... Portuguese from Porto, Portuguese from Lisbon, Ingles [both 'arms']. Feel free to download them and have a look at them.
If you need any help or comments, you can always e-mail me.
Blessings from Suffolk ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome, Victoria!

Background info first - Disclaimer: I have only walked the Frances to date. The first time because - - well, stuff just happened. I enjoyed it and was looking to go back. It was guiding a friend that put me on my second Camino Frances. Equally enjoyable though a totally different experience.

The Norte and the Via de la Plata both have my eye for the future and were candidates for my #2 after much reading, much of the expert testimony coming from here.

You have four weeks but want time to slow down and "mosey" a bit. CF fits, the Portuguese (all the way from Lisbon) also, the CN gets close, the VdlP (at least from Seville) does not. (The only reason I do not have the CP on my list is because having yet another language to grasp is a bit beyond me...maybe in a few years after my Spanish has "set".)

You want more temperate weather. A Spring (Late March - early April) or Fall (late Sept - early Nov) CF works just fine.

How are you with crowds? The CN is colder/wetter in Spring/Fall. Rumor has it that the Norte is getting a wee bit crowded during more seasonable weather periods.

How are you alone? One of the reasons I look wistfully at the VdlP is because of the more solitary nature of the walk even though it means dealing with longer stages and fewer amenities on the way. Because of the weather in this area, I would only consider it during early Spring or late Fall - I am not a fan of really hot weather.

This is just something to get the string rolling - you'll have more expertise than you can imagine showing up shortly! :)

B
Thanks for the good info, B! I'm not much for the super hot, either.

Hi Victoria!

I guess the 'default' first Camino is the Camino Frances, because it offers so many options for accommodation and other facilities. Most days you can choose to do a fairly short distance if that's all you feel like doing. This isn't true of the Via de la Plata, for example. I walked the last 100kms of the VDLP this year, and everyone I met had done a Camino in the past. They said that at times they had no choice but to walk 30kms in one day, which would be around my limit!

Other routes are definitely an option though, especially as facilities develop. The Camino Portugues and Camino del Norte spring to mind, but I've walked neither of those so others would advise better. On the quieter routes it will definitely help if you speak the language, and it may also help if you are able to stay in hostals/hotels as well as albergues.

The time of year you choose is a bit of a balance between getting good weather but trying to avoid a rush for beds. The busiest time of year for pilgrims arriving in Santiago is July/August, but this is affected by a huge number of people doing relatively short Caminos from places like Sarria. If you look at longer-distance pilgrims, the busiest periods are spring and autumn to avoid weather extremes.

Although you're travelling alone and are not in a rush, those you meet and walk with will probably have some time limits. You may find that you want to stay with a nice group, and end up going a bit faster than you expect. That's just one of those things that you can't really plan, but there's always the option of walking on to Finisterre after Santiago if you arrive earlier than expected.

With a bit of flexibility you'll have a great time whichever route you choose. Buen Camino!
Yes, I've wondered if the Camino Frances isn't the one to start with. Damn! I wish I'd kept up that high school Spanish. I should really add that to the list of things to do while I'm getting ready and training for the Camino. I'm leaning towards September to allow more time to build up my funds. I don't have much of a war chest at this point. Thanks for your response, Tyrrek

Hi Victoria!
Good to have you - welcome to this wonderful forum.
To some extent the camino you choose will depend on the time of year you start. There are thirty different 'caminos' - yes, THIRTY :). The one everyone knows is the French one: and because everyone knows it, it tends to be busy - VERY busy during the summer months. Often you can see pilgrims ahead of you: turn round and there are more catching you up.
I prefer a more solitary route which gives me time to talk to the animals and insects - yes, and God, too! I will still find a few other pilgrims who will become my 'camino family' as I walk - an important part of the experience.
Next year I'm planning on walking the Ruta del Ebro. I know it will be quiet - and that suits me.
On my web-site are my diaries for some of the other caminos which I've walked ... Portuguese from Porto, Portuguese from Lisbon, Ingles [both 'arms']. Feel free to download them and have a look at them.
If you need any help or comments, you can always e-mail me.
Blessings from Suffolk ...
Thank you, Stephen, I'll check it out. Thirty!? No wonder I'm getting confused with all the acronyms and names!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would suggest go Francés; it is the most historical, and you do feel the figure of Santiago all over the place, you feel you are threading grounds where thousands of pilgrims already walked hundreds and hundreds of years ago. It is also plentiful in accommodation choices, it is well signposted, it is challenging, it is more varied than any other Camino... it is THE CAMINO indeed.

If you like mountains then there is the Primitivo, if you like the sea there is the Norte; if you like both then you have time to start the Norte somewhere like Santander, then at Villaviciosa continue to Oviedo to join the Primitivo (the First - 'primary' route when Spain was under Moorish rule). To decide your start point calculate the number of kms per day you would want to walk, add in a rest day each week plus a day spare. Then work that number of kms/days back from Santiago. If you arrive in Santiago sooner than expected you can explore the area, walk Johnnie's Walk of Walks, fo to Finisterre etc......
Mid May to mid June is a good time. Spring flowers, the snow should have gone form all but the highest mountain tops and it should not be too hot or crowded. Some knowledge of Spanish is good and useful, but folk do manage without.
The planning is part of the fun and of your Camino.

If you are on the Frances, let me recommend the high road over montjardin, the option away from the road on the meseta, and the option to the monastery the day before Sarria.

That said, we really wanted to do the Norte not the Frances, but chose the Frances because it seemed more appropriate with a 14 month old

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whichever you choose, you can sing-along with Andrea or say a prayer for those who died ..... This is the most breathtaking rendition of The Lord's Prayer. It was performed by Andrea Bocelli in honour of those who died in the train derailment near Santiago de Compostela, Spain, last summer. Andrea is accompanied by a full orchestra and choir and it is simply beautiful.

http://en.gloria.tv/?media=479543

Buen camino!

Hi Victoria,
Welcome to this Forum and your start (mentally) on your first Camino.
Like most of the other posts, I also recommend the Camino Frances. If you start at St Jean, it fits in well with your time frame. For a first timer, it is the best supported by infrastructure such as the large number albergues and other accommodation, cafes (always known as bars), signage, condition of pathways etc. The Camino Portuguese is only 10 - 12 days if starting from Porto, or if starting from Lisbon about 4 weeks but the portion from Lisbon to Porto involves lots of road walking, fewer albergues and cafes. The Camino Finisterre is only 3 - 4 days. The Via de la Plata is 4 - 5 weeks and is tough because the distances between accommodation is often long (30 kms or more is common). The Camino Aragones is beautiful, but only 165 kms long.
The drawback to the Camino Frances as far as I am concerned are the crowds, but starting about mid Sept it will be somewhat quieter. Beware though that private albergues start closing at the end of September in St Jean and progressively close along the Way until by the beginning of November most of the private albergues close due to lack of custumers. But the Camino Frances can be easily walked in 6 weeks so starting mid Sept is no problem. A that time of the year is also beautiful and not hot.
I have no experience of the northern routes but by reputation they have a lot of climbs and descents.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
.......This is the most breathtaking rendition of The Lord's Prayer........by Andrea Bocelli in honour of those who died in the train derailment near Santiago de Compostela, Spain, last summer. Andrea is accompanied by a full orchestra and choir and it is simply beautiful.
Thank you for sharing this. As you said, it's breathtaking. Interesting that they use the Presbyterian version (debtors) as opposed to the Anglican (trespassers).
Suzanne :)

Hi All. It seems like this topic must be under discussion someplace, but I'm not finding it. I'm in the very very early stages of planning my first Camino. I've lurked around this forum for a week or so now, soaking it all up. I haven't bought or read any guides at this point. So, I really need to start with a Beginner's Mind.

How did you go about choosing the route for your first Camino? What did you take into consideration? What route(s) would you suggest? I plan to have at least 4 weeks for my trek. I'm not an experienced hiker, but I do enjoy walking. I'll be walking over the course of the year before I take off next year. I haven't picked a departure date. In terms of weather, I'd like to point myself towards more moderate weather--not super hot, avoid blizzards :) I expect to love whatever route I end up on and hope to walk the Camino again in the future. I'll be on my own. I'm not attached to following a guide or stages. In fact, I'd really like to be able to poke around and break the longer walks up in the event I want a slower pace, or want to dawdle around and explore, or take easy days from time to time. I'm not in a rush.

Victoria

Victoria:

I heard about the Camino and looked it up on the internet. It looked interesting so I bought a ticket and just did it. No training or real preparation other than a guide book. In my case Brierley's book. There are others.

I would recommend the Frances as a first Camino. It is well marked and has the most Pilgrims. I believe, if you are not an experienced walker you will need at least 5 weeks to be comfortable from SJPdP. I also would wait until April 1st. At this time most of the Albergues are open for the season. If you have less than five weeks, you could start in Pamplona, Logrono or even Burgos. All these starting points are easily accessible by train from Madrid.

Weather is as unpredictable on the Camino as it is wherever you live. So just prepare and accept the weather you get. There are several threads with packing lists.

This is your Camino. After reading through these responses and other information choose the Camino that appeals the most to you. Whatever your choice it will be the right one.

I offer you three other pieces of advice. Start slowly and listen to your body. If you begin in SJPdP, I recommend you stay in Orrison. Take care of your feet. If you get a hot spot, stop and take care of it (lots of threads on this subject). The more you take care of your feet, the more enjoyable your Camino. You can not walk too slow.

Pack as light as possible. Everything you bring you will be carrying. Many threads on this subject.

Finally, Just allow the Camino to be your guide. Do not get caught up in a guide book. Let your body, curiosity and the Camino guide you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Have only walked the Camino Frances, so can't give an opinion on the other routes, but I found the Frances to be extremely "user friendly" I suppose, for a first time pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Victoria:

I heard about the Camino and looked it up on the internet. It looked interesting so I bought a ticket and just did it. No training or real preparation other than a guide book. In my case Brierley's book. There are others.

I would recommend the Frances as a first Camino. It is well marked and has the most Pilgrims. I believe, if you are not an experienced walker you will need at least 5 weeks to be comfortable from SJPdP. I also would wait until April 1st. At this time most of the Albergues are open for the season. If you have less than five weeks, you could start in Pamplona, Logrono or even Burgos. All these starting points are easily accessible by train from Madrid.

Weather is as unpredictable on the Camino as it is wherever you live. So just prepare and accept the weather you get. There are several threads with packing lists.

This is your Camino. After reading through these responses and other information choose the Camino that appeals the most to you. Whatever your choice it will be the right one.

I offer you three other pieces of advice. Start slowly and listen to your body. If you begin in SJPdP, I recommend you stay in Orrison. Take care of your feet. If you get a hot spot, stop and take care of it (lots of threads on this subject). The more you take care of your feet, the more enjoyable your Camino. You can not walk too slow.

Pack as light as possible. Everything you bring you will be carrying. Many threads on this subject.

Finally, Just allow the Camino to be your guide. Do not get caught up in a guide book. Let your body, curiosity and the Camino guide you.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks, Joe. Your comment supports everything I've been learning here so far. At this point, I'm looking at the Frances in September. I'd do it in May, but I think I'm going to need more time to put my money together and cover my office and home rent, etc while I'm gone. I have a real sense of just wanting to be free on this trip. Get myself to the start of the trail, go slow, and not set any itinerary other than getting to the end of the trail. I have engaged in a more sedentary lifestyle over the last eight years, so my idea of training now is to just get moving again.

Welcome, Victoria!

B
Thanks, B. So much to think about! It does seem like the consensus is for the Frances. Now I can start thinking about where to fly into and get an idea of what my airfare from LAX is going to look like.

Hi Victoria,
Welcome to this Forum and your start (mentally) on your first Camino.
Like most of the other posts, I also recommend the Camino Frances. If you start at St Jean, it fits in well with your time frame. For a first timer, it is the best supported by infrastructure such as the large number albergues and other accommodation, cafes (always known as bars), signage, condition of pathways etc. The Camino Portuguese is only 10 - 12 days if starting from Porto, or if starting from Lisbon about 4 weeks but the portion from Lisbon to Porto involves lots of road walking, fewer albergues and cafes. The Camino Finisterre is only 3 - 4 days. The Via de la Plata is 4 - 5 weeks and is tough because the distances between accommodation is often long (30 kms or more is common). The Camino Aragones is beautiful, but only 165 kms long.
The drawback to the Camino Frances as far as I am concerned are the crowds, but starting about mid Sept it will be somewhat quieter. Beware though that private albergues start closing at the end of September in St Jean and progressively close along the Way until by the beginning of November most of the private albergues close due to lack of custumers. But the Camino Frances can be easily walked in 6 weeks so starting mid Sept is no problem. A that time of the year is also beautiful and not hot.
I have no experience of the northern routes but by reputation they have a lot of climbs and descents.
Buen Camino
Thanks for such a complete response, David. Yes, it looks like it will be the Frances for me. I think I will head out the beginning of September and hopefully not come into too much rain on the later end of my trip. All these other luscious options are tempting. I'm going to keep them in mind for future Caminos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you like mountains then there is the Primitivo, if you like the sea there is the Norte; if you like both then you have time to start the Norte somewhere like Santander, then at Villaviciosa continue to Oviedo to join the Primitivo (the First - 'primary' route when Spain was under Moorish rule). To decide your start point calculate the number of kms per day you would want to walk, add in a rest day each week plus a day spare. Then work that number of kms/days back from Santiago. If you arrive in Santiago sooner than expected you can explore the area, walk Johnnie's Walk of Walks, fo to Finisterre etc......
Mid May to mid June is a good time. Spring flowers, the snow should have gone form all but the highest mountain tops and it should not be too hot or crowded. Some knowledge of Spanish is good and useful, but folk do manage without.
The planning is part of the fun and of your Camino.
This all sounds so lovely and juicy, Tia. Given that I think I'll need a good year to set aside the funds, I'm looking at September this time. Perhaps, May for the next Camino ;) I hadn't heard of Johnnie's Walk. I'll look into that!

............ I hadn't heard of Johnnie's Walk. I'll look into that!
It starts in Santiago itself and goes right around the outskirts of the city so taking in part of every Camino as it enters Santiago. I think the whole is 16-20kms ut we just walked the part that left the Plaza de Obradoiro and goes down past the parador and then up Monte Pedrouzo before taking the loop back to town. We didn't have time to do the whole route so chose just that section with amazing views over the city and of the Cathedral.

It starts in Santiago itself and goes right around the outskirts of the city so taking in part of every Camino as it enters Santiago. I think the whole is 16-20kms ut we just walked the part that left the Plaza de Obradoiro and goes down past the parador and then up Monte Pedrouzo before taking the loop back to town. We didn't have time to do the whole route so chose just that section with amazing views over the city and of the Cathedral.
Thank you! Sounds lovely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Victoria
I have just returned having walked from SJPDP to Pamplona so I would recommend September. Stopping in Orisson was a great introduction to the camino experence including meetng some lovely people.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back