• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

picking a start date in April

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Which Camino are you doing?

Semana Santa in Seville is a once in a life time event to see.

Besides these two major events in Spain ... there are always carnivals, events that may or may not impact on your Camino.

Starting date is when you can make it to the starting point of your Camino.
And ready to walk, ride or bike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is just a personal prefence but because I enjoy walking alone I avoid starting on the first of any month. I have a totally unsupported-by-facts theory based solely on observation of posts on this forum that the first is the most popular date to start. You may prefer to be on the crest of the wave. :)
April is a lovely time of the year to walk.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Last edited:
Starting point important. Days on Camino important. Starting date usually driven by cheapest airfare. April can mean snow in the Pyrenees. Snow/Rain toward Pamplona. Sunshine through to Burgos. New life on the Meseta. Sunshine, maybe snow at Cebreiro with relatively smooth sailing Sarria to SDC. How do you know when you enter Galicia? It’s raining!

How do you pick a starting day? Are there any dates in April that I should shoot for, or avoid? Other than Easter and Holy Week

I am picking mid-week, April 19th, to resume my camino. I think staying away from the weekends when starting gives me the best time to get a rhythm going without worrying about possible crowds though I doubt there will be a crowd during April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How do you pick a starting day? Are there any dates in April that I should shoot for, or avoid? Other than Easter and Holy Week
For most Pilgrims it's a personal thing .
Since the day's I was younger ;) til now , I begin my walk at the date that is most convenient at the time.

Wish you well,Peter.

Choosing when to walk is a lot like surfing. A surfer sits on his/her board beyond the breaking weaves assessing each coming wave to try to choose the correct wave. When the "right one" comes, the surfer works it. Notice the pattern of the waves. There is a high point and a trough, or low point.

The Camino is similar. At most all starting nodes, places with bus and rail connections to the rest of France, Spain and Europe, pilgrims will arrive on Friday and Saturday to start the next day. This causes an artificial surge of pilgrims leaving the starting node. The result, on some routes, and at some times of the year can be like the proverbial "pig in a python."

These traditional starting nodes on the Camino Frances include: Sarria, Astorga, Leon, Sahagun, Burgos, Logrono, Pamplona, Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The consequence of this departure pattern is that this larger number of pilgrims hit the same stopping places each night. This places a surge demand on accommodations. It is true that some of the surge is attenuated during each days walk, as no two pilgrims walk at the same pace, and most groups can only proceed as fast as their slowest walker. The overall result resembles a classic "bell curve" distribution plot. However, most of the starting surge usually remains intact.

The best way to counter this phenomenon is to arrange your Camino to start at the beginning node on Monday through Friday morning. Monday through Thursday is better. This places you in the trough (or low point) of the waves of pilgrims starting each weekend. DO NOT forget to adjust this pattern for national holidays, or other peculiarities that might cause a similar artificial surge in the number of pilgrims, like final exams being over and school getting out on a particular day.

Hope this helps.

DO NOT forget to adjust this pattern for national holidays, or other peculiarities that might cause a similar artificial surge in the number of pilgrims, like final exams being over and school getting out on a particular day.

This is one of the main reasons I'm asking! What if I landed there and all the shops were closed for a special holiday, or the place was overrun for something. I can only think of Holy Week being significant in April, but I'm not Spanish so I don't know.

Thanks for the great food for thought, pilgrims!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Spain, most everything is going to be closed over the long Easter weekend, from at least Good Friday, through Easter Monday. Cafes and hotels will be open, but most retail and services will likely be closed.

This said, I defer to others who may have better specific knowledge. As others have said, Semana Santa is HUGE in Spain...and Portugal too.

At one time I remember reading about it being hard to get a bed in Pamplona on weekends? We plan to leave SJPP on a Wednesday with first night in Orisson which should put is in Pamplona on Saturday. Should we anticipate a problem? That will be Saturday, April 21 having departed SJPP on the 18th of April. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At one time I remember reading about it being hard to get a bed in Pamplona on weekends? We plan to leave SJPP on a Wednesday with first night in Orisson which should put is in Pamplona on Saturday. Should we anticipate a problem? That will be Saturday, April 21 having departed SJPP on the 18th of April. Thanks.

Hi, if you have a bed booked at Orisson for Wed night, then you will almost certainly be in Pamplona on Sat night. So you might as well go ahead and book something.

I suggest you book something in Zubiri or Larrasoana as well for Fri night, as that is an infamous bottle neck.

After Pamplona you can go with the flow . . .
Jill

Pick a date flight walk and begin adventure. As a man of leisure and Ryanair sale never paid over for flight to Biarritz or Bilbao or Santander or vigo or Porto. Then camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.