• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picking up where I left off!

sulu

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
Back in March I got the urge to do a camino. At the time coronavirus was just lifting it's head in Spain but it didn't look like it would be any major problem, and I wasn't planning to go far, I thought I would just try a different route in Galicia, so I started in Baiona on the 12th March!!
I had 2 wonderful days of sunshine, beautiful scenery and wonderful tapas. I made it to Vigo to discover that Spain was in a state of emergency and I had to come straight home.
Today the albergues open again so tomorrow I plan to return to Vigo and pick up where I left off. This time it will be a camino with a mask and social distancing, all a little disconcerting but as I am in the happy position of living in Galicia I can be one of the first without causing too much havoc, I hope. I have never walked in July, I don't like the heat, I just hope that near the coast it won't be too bad. I will post when I get home next week!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Back in March I got the urge to do a camino. At the time coronavirus was just lifting it's head in Spain but it didn't look like it would be any major problem, and I wasn't planning to go far, I thought I would just try a different route in Galicia, so I started in Baiona on the 12th March!!
I had 2 wonderful days of sunshine, beautiful scenery and wonderful tapas. I made it to Vigo to discover that Spain was in a state of emergency and I had to come straight home.
Today the albergues open again so tomorrow I plan to return to Vigo and pick up where I left off. This time it will be a camino with a mask and social distancing, all a little disconcerting but as I am in the happy position of living in Galicia I can be one of the first without causing too much havoc, I hope. I have never walked in July, I don't like the heat, I just hope that near the coast it won't be too bad. I will post when I get home next week!
enjoy yourself and carry us in your heart.

Envious! Bom Caminho Sulu!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all the good wishes, I'm only on day 1 and I've already discovered that only some xunta albergues are open and kitchens are closed.

Hmm...well, we do often say that ‘no two Caminos are the same.’ This one will be your most memorable. For sure. You have all these min(d)ers holding their breath, waiting to hear, watching you, listening to every flutter. Let us know Sulu if we need to send in a rescue team!! I’ve got the helicopter and pilot ready. Just that it might take a little while to get to you from from Australia. ....... in the meantime, continue to keep us informed (chirping) and hang in there. Your next stop may well be a banquet. :)

Last edited:
My next stop is a banquet, well not quite, but the last time I stopped in Pontevedra I had calamares and vino Albarino in the bar/hostal opposite the xunta albergue, now I'm doing the same 😊 the next 2 nights are fine, I'm going to do the variante espiritual. My problem may be Padrón, the hospitalera here has no idea that not all the xunta albergues are open.
In the mean time the wine is great 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
O! Pontevedra. A beautiful city. Famous Cathedral there. Dine at Hotel Virgin del Camino Pontevedra, in the cellar restaurant beside this hotel. The best. Enjoy the city.

My next stop is a banquet, well not quite, but the last time I stopped in Pontevedra I had calamares and vino Albarino in the bar/hostal opposite the xunta albergue, now I'm doing the same 😊 the next 2 nights are fine, I'm going to do the variante espiritual. My problem may be Padrón, the hospitalera here has no idea that not all the xunta albergues are open.
In the mean time the wine is great 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wish I was walking there too. Only a few months ago I was! Good luck the rest of the way to your next stop.

Last edited:
Thank you all!
I am now back home, over all it was a great camino but .....the downside was no boat from Vilanova as there are not enough pilgrims. The walk was exhausting, after Carril the signs were really bad; badly placed, old and faded and illegible with sun glasses. Some signs just lead into a village and stopped, one lead me into a field with shoulder high grass, with a temperature of 35 degrees and full sunshine in the afternoon, it was too much. However it is not normal to have to walk it in July.
Day by day: Vigo to Redondela was lovely, well signed but the bar at 10k was closed, I don't know if this is permanent or just whilst there are not many pilgrims.
Finding the Xunta albergue closed was mind blowing but there are alternatives so not too serious.
Redondela to Pontevedra, again no problems, there are construction works on the way and the entrance to Pontevedra by the river is now blocked. I will attach (or try) a photo of the dorm. Anyone who has been to the Xunta albergue in Pontevedra will know that the beds are very close together, the last time I was here the guy in the bed next to me rolled over in the night and landed on top of me, no danger of that now. The procedure at arrival is, of course to arrive wearing a mask, then you are given a black bag for your back pack, plastic bags for boots, a hand wash, temperature taken and then you are allowed into reception. There are notices up with instructions all over the place. Kitchens are out of service, at least at the moment.
Pontevedra to Armenteira, a great walk if a little steep going up, I found coming down was worse! The albergue is municipal and procedure was slightly different, no black bag for example and I was not told I could not use the kitchen! It is free during this July. I was there alone.
Armenteira to Vilanova, a lovely walk, the municipal albergue opens at 2.30, again masks and hand cleanser but no plastic bags.
Apart from the need to wear a mask and use hand cleanser when entering any bar, shop or albergue the camino itself was not greatly affected. masks need to be warn in busy streets but otherwise it's surprising how quickly one adapts though as numbers of pilgrims go up there may be other problems. Interesting times we live in!!IMG_20200703_143010.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back