• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pickpocketed on Porto Metro

Rickcrna

Time of past OR future Camino
April 25 to May 15, 2023. Camino Portugues Coastal
Arrived in Porto yesterday to start Camino coastal Senda Litoral route tomorrow. Picked up metro from airport to Trinidade station in Porto at about Noon. Not very crowded and was super aware (or so I thought). Kept my wallet in zippered pocket of trousers along upper front leg. Just before arriving at Trinidade I noticed my wallet dropped to floor between my feet. Picked it up and put it back in zippered pocket. Later I discovered 150 euros missing. Completely amazed and angry by the situation. Word of caution. From the time your de-plane, put your money, passport, etc in a hidden money belt or waist pouch especially if using public transit. Lesson learned. Hope this helps somebody else!

Rick

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arrived in Porto yesterday to start Camino coastal Senda Litoral route tomorrow. Picked up metro from airport to Trinidade station in Porto at about Noon. Not very crowded and was super aware (or so I thought). Kept my wallet in zippered pocket of trousers along upper front leg. Just before arriving at Trinidade I noticed my wallet dropped to floor between my feet. Picked it up and put it back in zippered pocket. Later I discovered 150 euros missing. Completely amazed and angry by the situation. Word of caution. From the time your de-plane, put your money, passport, etc in a hidden money belt or waist pouch especially if using public transit. Lesson learned. Hope this helps somebody else!

Rick
Yikes, that’s where I usually keep my wallet, thinking that it’s safe from pickpockets. You would think you would feel it, but I guess some of them have a really light fingers… Sorry for your misfortune.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That’s where most men in cargo pants carry there wallet. Only takes a few days practice for a professional. On the metro stuff your wallet in the front of your underpants- that’ll give ‘em a challenge
Doing the Camino last spring, I actually had sewn inside pockets on my pants underneath my right front pockets. I used reclaimed pockets from thrift store pants and thought myself very clever. I kept my wallet and passport in those pockets.

But alas, after a few weeks, the threads unraveled due to my inferiors sewing skills.

I do think that was the best choice. I can’t stand moneybelts, because they chafe .

But stuffing them down your underwear in an emergency, is not a bad idea.

That sucks! It could have been worse, though, so look at the bright side: You got your wallet back with (presumably) your credit/debit cards and other assets.

Take care and Buen Camino!

That’s where most men in cargo pants carry there wallet. Only takes a few days practice for a professional. On the metro stuff your wallet in the front of your underpants- that’ll give ‘em a challenge
Funnily enough, that's exactly the same advice I was give the first time I visited Spain on a foreign exchange visit when I was 13!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear a silk money belt under my shirt in any of the pick-pocketing cities, Paris, Barcelona, Porto, Milan, Rome, Madrid, etc. or when transitting. One is tired & distracted & they get you then.
You do not have to wear it weeks at a time, though I honestly don’t feel it. If they are chafing you, perhaps try a different brand? You should not feel them at all.

I wear a silk money belt under my shirt in any of the pick-pocketing cities, Paris, Barcelona, Porto, Milan, Rome, Madrid, etc. or when transitting. One is tired & distracted & they get you then.
You do not have to wear it weeks at a time, though I honestly don’t feel it. If they are chafing you, perhaps try a different brand? You should not feel them at all.
The chafing I was experiencing was because I wear one that’s under my pants. And when I was hiking or walking on a hot day in a city, I found this uncomfortable. I personally don’t like the ones you hang around your neck because often they’re really obvious underneath a shirt, especially if you’re just wearing light shirt?

But I’d like to look into the silk moneybelt you mention. All the ones I used were probably synthetic. Do you remember the brand?

Up until my last few trips, I used to take a Pacsafe wallet that clipped onto to a D- ring that was already on my North Face trousers!

Last year I just took a basic Velcro wallet and keep it in my main trouser pocket!
Had very little actual cash!

All the bank cards were already stored virtually on my phone, and could be easily blocked if I did lose them!

Years ago, on my first trip to Barcelona, I remember buying a Lifeventure money belt, because of all the horror stories!
Never used it in the end!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With all of this pick pocket activity I’m wondering-do they have the “tap” system on the Camino? Where one can store the card on the phone and “tap” a reader at the POS to purchase? It would preclude carrying the cards.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With all of this pick pocket activity I’m wondering-do they have the “tap” system on the Camino? Where one can store the card on the phone and “tap” a reader at the POS to purchase? It would preclude carrying the cards.
Yes, it’s very common.

I do think that was the best choice. I can’t stand moneybelts, because they chafe .
Actually this one is a quality belt and I mostly use it without any money. If needed it can hold some 800€ :

I wear a money belt, under my pants, and don't find it annoying at all. You can always keep a small amount of cash in a more accessible place -- some people even advocate a "throw away" wallet -- most money secreted, a bit handy that you wouldn't miss.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hate anything extra around my waist, so I use this type of travel pouch for my valuables (but without the leather trim, or the RFID). You can use a diaper pin to attach the loops to the inside of your waist band. However, I have sewn another loop inside my waistband and use a carabiner to attach the pouch. It can be flipped outside my trousers if necessary, without detaching, but I try to do all my money transfers in private. I can easily detach it to transfer to my evening clothes, which also have a loop sewn in.

Actually this one is a quality belt and I mostly use it without any money. If needed it can hold some 800€ :
Yes, I’ve seen similar belts, and they are very cool. And maybe I’ll get one the next time I travel, but I would still need a place to keep my passport. Maybe not so much from the pickpockets but making sure I don’t lose it because of the huge hassle it would be to replace it overseas.

I hate anything extra around my waist, so I use this type of travel pouch for my valuables (but without the leather trim, or the RFID). You can use a diaper pin to attach the loops to the inside of your waist band. However, I have sewn another loop inside my waistband and use a carabiner to attach the pouch. It can be flipped outside my trousers if necessary, without detaching, but I try to do all my money transfers in private. I can easily detach it to transfer to my evening clothes, which also have a loop sewn in.
Thats a great idea. Much simpler than sewing the pocket inside. Unless someone posts a better suggestion, that’s the one I’m using next time I travel!

Although, when you look at a picture of it, you wonder how they got it around the belt loop? You‘d have to be able to open the loop somehow to get it onto a belt loop? Or I guess you could snake it through itself when it was empty? But hanging from a carabiner on the inside of your pants would work well.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Funnily enough, that's exactly the same advice I was give the first time I visited Spain on a foreign exchange visit when I was 13!
A tour guide on Spain once told a group of us years ago in the Costa del Sol to keep our hand in the pocket with the wallet if no money belt or similar, and then added the further caution to “make sure it’s your own hand.”

A tour guide on Spain once told a group of us years ago in the Costa del Sol to keep our hand in the pocket with the wallet if no money belt or similar, and then added the further caution to “make sure it’s your own hand.”
😄 I know one person who had his hand in his pocket - like you suggest - and yet felt another hand, going into that same pocket.

I have one of those nylon travelers wallets that can be carried as a regular wallet in your pocket or worn around your neck and tucked down into your shirt. I've also looped it around a belt loop and tucked it down inside the front of my underwear. I don't tuck my shirt in so it's not obvious.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Rick
So sorry to hear Rick - I too was robbed on this same metro line. Had my little travel purse in a secret ?zipped pocket in the strap of my backpack. He got 72 Euros plus my debit card and a credit card. The cc was never used but the debit card was used to withdraw nearly AUD2000.00 - for which he needed a pin. I cannot explain how this happened but I had used the debit card on the station to buy the metro tickets and had to my surprise had to key in the pin. The thief had been talking to my husband nearby while I did this. I know he was the thief because when I described him to the Police they said the same man had had a very busy thieving week. So discouraging at the beginning of our Camino.

Anytime i go abroad i have a very slim soft comfortable money belt under my underwear and only keep enough money for the days use in my bum bag which I keep phone, passport, credential etc. I think it's the safest place because if the belt was to perhaps break it will stay in place inside your underwear and not even the best pickpocket in the world could possibly pinch from that place

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Doing the Camino last spring, I actually had sewn inside pockets on my pants underneath my right front pockets. I used reclaimed pockets from thrift store pants and thought myself very clever. I kept my wallet and passport in those pockets.

But alas, after a few weeks, the threads unraveled due to my inferiors sewing skills.

But stuffing them down your underwear in an emergency, is not a bad idea.
I was not as thrifty and purchased hidden pockets from a US travel company. They have a loop to thread your belt through and hang inside your pants. I don't wear a belt so I removed the loop and sewed them into the waistband on my pants. They have two zippered areas and can accommodate a passport. I use them on my hiking pants to carry my car keys when I am out in the woods here. They are little difficult to access and usually requires a trip to the ladies room if I need to take out cash, but I guess that is what makes them feel secure to me! :)
🥾

A small amount of chafing from a money belt is an easy price to pay for not losing money, credit card, or passports.

Think of the uncomfort you would experience spending hours or days in Madrid at the Embassy applying and waiting for a temporary passport to replace a stolen passport.

-Paul

I wear a money belt, under my pants, and don't find it annoying at all. You can always keep a small amount of cash in a more accessible place -- some people even advocate a "throw away" wallet -- most money secreted, a bit handy that you wouldn't miss.
I tried that and found it a bit annoying to have to dig in my pants to pay for something or to fetch my passport. Plus, every time I did so, I was aware that I was identifying myself to anyone nearby as a person who has something worth hiding. I discarded it, and kept passport and phone in shirt pocket, money and cards in wallet. Awareness is the best defense—two gypsy girls in Rome tried to pick the phone and passport, but I grabbed the pocket faster, and in Philippines, I foiled two attempts to pick my wallet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tried that and found it a bit annoying to have to dig in my pants to pay for something or to fetch my passport. Plus, every time I did so, I was aware that I was identifying myself to anyone nearby as a person who has something worth hiding. I discarded it, and kept passport and phone in shirt pocket, money and cards in wallet. Awareness is the best defense—two gypsy girls in Rome tried to pick the phone and passport, but I grabbed the pocket faster, and in Philippines, I foiled two attempts to pick my wallet.
Good luck with your strategy. I’ve been victimized twice on metros (Porto and Paris) and was absolutely amazed at how fast and slick these pickpockets are even when I thought I was being cautious and aware. I’m determined to take steps to avoid this again in the future and will gladly break some pickpocket’s fingers if given a chance.

I was not as thrifty and purchased hidden pockets from a US travel company. They have a loop to thread your belt through and hang inside your pants.
I haven't used or even seen these pants but I'm impressed with how they are designed.

I haven't used or even seen these pants but I'm impressed with how they are designed.

I bought a pair based on a recommendation on here. Comfortable, but over-engineered. Minimising valuables and having them touching skin at all times - preferably in the trouser department - will do for me.

I’ve got a ‘mugger wallet’ in my hip pocket; can suspend my credit cards online pretty much instantly and carry only enough cash to write it off to experience; appreciating that being pickpocketed would be distressing for anyone.

Backup scans of all documents held online would help in case of loss.

I did once carry what appeared to be a seven-year-old thief by one arm to a policeman in Rome; but neither the unsuccessful child nor disinterested cop seemed overly concerned.

An earlier unsuccessful attempted theft in Madrid donkey’s years ago ended more satisfactorily, as relayed at length some time ago.

€83,-
I was not as thrifty and purchased hidden pockets from a US travel company. They have a loop to thread your belt through and hang inside your pants. I don't wear a belt so I removed the loop and sewed them into the waistband on my pants. They have two zippered areas and can accommodate a passport. I use them on my hiking pants to carry my car keys when I am out in the woods here. They are little difficult to access and usually requires a trip to the ladies room if I need to take out cash, but I guess that is what makes them feel secure to me! :)
🥾
Another great idea. And I saw those also . But, I thought it would be nice not to have to worry about taking it on and off of the belt. But on the other hand, I bet you’re thread didn’t unravel! Good to know that they worked well…

Maybe the next trip, I’ll buy both this one and the one from @C clearly , and see which one I find more comfortable.

Last edited:

Rick

Small man bag , shoulder straps , use inside pockets in them for passport , cash and cards
Easy to carry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I have hiked four Camino Frances, three times flying to Madrid and one time flying to Barcelona. We always used the metro to travel from the Madrid airport to Puerta del Sol. In Barcelona we took a bus. My wife and I take extra caution to ensure our backpacks and wallets are secure. This fall, I'm hiking the Camino Portuguese (solo) starting in Porto. Based on earlier threads, I was planning to take the metro from the Porto airport to downtown. I travelled extensively throughout my career without incident. That said, I think I'll play it safe and just take a taxi to downtown Porto. Anyone know the cost? Some airports have fixed fees from airport to downtown. I am staying in private rooms every night, so don't mind paying 20 to 25 euros for a secure ride. Gracias! Bob

My wife and I have hiked four Camino Frances, three times flying to Madrid and one time flying to Barcelona. We always used the metro to travel from the Madrid airport to Puerta del Sol. In Barcelona we took a bus. My wife and I take extra caution to ensure our backpacks and wallets are secure. This fall, I'm hiking the Camino Portuguese (solo) starting in Porto. Based on earlier threads, I was planning to take the metro from the Porto airport to downtown. I travelled extensively throughout my career without incident. That said, I think I'll play it safe and just take a taxi to downtown Porto. Anyone know the cost? Some airports have fixed fees from airport to downtown. I am staying in private rooms every night, so don't mind paying 20 to 25 euros for a secure ride. Gracias! Bob
<€30 if memory serves.

The metro proceeds at walking speed; if I were to do it again I’d take a taxi.

... Based on earlier threads, I was planning to take the metro from the Porto airport to downtown. I travelled extensively throughout my career without incident. That said, I think I'll play it safe and just take a taxi to downtown Porto....

Pickpockets are everywhere, not just the Metro! Sooner or later, you will encounter them and need to be prepared and aware. You might even encounter them while waiting for a taxi.

-Paul

€83,-
Thank you @C clearly, for this. It gave me an idea for my own DIY project. If I attach a similar key ring and clasp to other pants/trousers, I can easily transfer my ‘wallet’ from one to the other. Besides my time, the project cost me just the price of the zipper … and, well, the bus fare to the store. 😊
IMG_0292.jpeg

If I attach a similar key ring and clasp to other pants/trousers, I can easily transfer my ‘wallet’ from one to the other.
If you sew a loop inside the waist, it is even more out-of-view. I use an S-biner, so I only need one and it can easily be transferred to my other clothes. or even upon occasion clipped to my cross-body pouch or a loop inside my sleeping bag. Your metal widget is smaller but you would either need one on each pair of pants, or you would need to wrangle it off the ring each time.

If you sew a loop inside the waist, it is even more out-of-view. I use an S-biner, so I only need one and it can easily be transferred to my other clothes. or even upon occasion clipped to my cross-body pouch or a loop inside my sleeping bag. Your metal widget is smaller but you would either need one on each pair of pants, or you would need to wrangle it off the ring each time.
Yes, I will probably eventually do as you suggest, but right now I have more of those widgets and key rings than I do s-biners And, as it is, the pouch can still be flipped and worn inside my pants. My DIY projects are always works in progress, and most eventually get improved upon. 😊

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Amazing but in a bad way! Thank you for the reminder. REI sells a travel wallet meant to hang around the neck on a very thin strap-easy to cut. But it is thin. I have thought about sewing it into trousers as an inside pocket, with a silk patch over it so that it does not contact the skin. I will have to experiment, but usually I carry a bit of money, and all else buried deep in the backpack, which never leaves my back until I enter my sleeping spot for the night, then I transfer to a wallet.

This thread gives me pause, as I just moved to Porto and use the metro every day.

I asked a couple of Portuguese friends about the precautions they take. They shrugged and said they don't do anything beyond put their wallets in a front pocket. Which supports the idea that thieves target tourists, and makes me think about what I can do to look more like a local.

One other observation: my jeans and other everyday trousers have tight front pockets that would be hard to pick, but the main pockets in my zip-off hiking pants are so loose that things could practically fall out of them. Why are they designed that way? Yes, I can shift my wallet to a zippered pocket further down the leg, but that makes it harder to keep a hand over it, which seems risky in its own right.

€83,-
If you are going to a pickpocket prone area (or in general any town or city in the world). Split your money between 2-3 different places. For example, put a few note under the inner soles of your shoes, maybe a note or two in your hat pocket if it has one, operational cash in your wallet, but no more than 30-40 euros and maybe some in your rucksack somewhere. A friend said she would often wrap important things like cash in a pair of underwear she had smeared some chocolate on, with the skid marks outwardly facing. Might be a possible thing in some scenarios.

I have a velcro cheap wallet that will be my decoy in my pocket. I'll just keep a few euros in it. I will have the debit cards and cash in different locations. I just think you have to be vigilant anywhere in protecting yourself!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can understand having a decoy wallet. What I don’t understand is why one would put any money at all in it. Why not just fill it with useless papers. After all, if a pickpocket takes the wallet, such pickpocket will be long gone before they realize what is or isn’t in the wallet.

I think I’d put a decoy wallet in my zippered pants pocket, and tap the pocket from time to time to make sure the wallet is still there. 🙃

I can understand having a decoy wallet. What I don’t understand is why one would put any money at all in it. Why not just fill it with useless papers. After all, if a pickpocket takes the wallet, such pickpocket will be long gone before they realize what is or isn’t in the wallet.

I think I’d put a decoy wallet in my zippered pants pocket, and tap the pocket from time to time to make sure the wallet is still there. 🙃
Actually, stuffing one’s wallet with useless paper may not be a good idea; it may just rile the pickpocket and one may suffer consequences.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Diaper pins appear to have gone from the market. The diapers now have velcro type closures or tape. Quilters' safety pins...the big ones that are equivalent to a diaper pin, don't have the safety catch. And they can rust. But they're sturdy.
Dividing the stash is always a good idea. I figure if they're grabbing my belly pouch I'll notice it. And I travel with a buddy.

I'm sure this was photoshopped by a person who hadn't understood that your belt would go through one of the loops, depending on its color.
Looking at the photo, those loops don't really make sense. It's probably supposed to go on your belt and be tucked inside. With the shirt tail covering the elastics? Has anyone got thoughts on this?

A pickpocket will also take your phone if it's possible!

Rick
Sorry to hear about this. I kept the bulk of my euros inside my shoes while walking. Yes, they smelled pretty bad but it was a safe way to travel with 500 euros each week.

Locking caribiners, they have a little piece that slides down so they can't easily open.
If a robber accosts you, throw the decoy wallet as far as you can, then run. Never tried this but seems like a good idea. We just got back from Paris and had an encounter on the metro with a gang of middle school girls, but they didn't get anything. They all jumped off and one of them got caught in the door! Three men had to pull it open to get her loose.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This thread gives me pause, as I just moved to Porto and use the metro every day.

I asked a couple of Portuguese friends about the precautions they take. They shrugged and said they don't do anything beyond put their wallets in a front pocket. Which supports the idea that thieves target tourists, and makes me think about what I can do to look more like a local.

One other observation: my jeans and other everyday trousers have tight front pockets that would be hard to pick, but the main pockets in my zip-off hiking pants are so loose that things could practically fall out of them. Why are they designed that way? Yes, I can shift my wallet to a zippered pocket further down the leg, but that makes it harder to keep a hand over it, which seems risky in its own right.
I am going to sew a small key ring, 1/2 in size, into my REI pants' leg pocket. I may attach a very short bit of chain, then add a locking carabiner that will clip to my small Chums wallet ( also from REI) which comes with an attached key ring. I don't think it will be too heavy or bulky. The chain might make maneuvering it in and out of the pocket a little easier, we'll see. I like the convenience of the wallet being close at hand. Passport, extra credit cards, extra money all go in an RFID neck wallet, in the zippered compartment under the hood of my pack. We use our pack covers when on the Chemin, on the train, and in cities, keeps the pack clean and another barrier for safe-keeping. I adapted a small camera bag that hooks across the front of my pack for snacks, phone, map, etc. It has two zippers so I could use a carabiner to secure the main compartment. I take it off and add a shoulder strap to turn it into a cross-body bag while in the city. We felt pretty secure this last trip (in France, Voie de Vezelay and some sightseeing.)

One reason to put some money in the decoy wallet is that it's the one you use for small purchases. No sense revealing where your serious cash is every time you buy a snack.

The other reason is if you might use it as a "throw-down wallet" in an actual robbery. You can make your getaway while they count your petty cash and examine your canceled credit cards and AARP member ID.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good luck with your strategy. I’ve been victimized twice on metros (Porto and Paris) and was absolutely amazed at how fast and slick these pickpockets are even when I thought I was being cautious and aware. I’m determined to take steps to avoid this again in the future and will gladly break some pickpocket’s fingers if given a chance.
Well, It has worked so far, in more than forty trips to thirty countries. But those three were the only attempts. (If there were any undetected, they didn't get anything.)
If a robber accosts you, throw the decoy wallet as far as you can, then run. Never tried this but seems like a good idea.
I saw an ad for a small purse or wallet with a card in it that says in five languages, something like "Dear thief, hope you enjoy this. Consider getting an honest job."

Sorry to hear about this. I kept the bulk of my euros inside my shoes while walking. Yes, they smelled pretty bad but it was a safe way to travel with 500 euros each week.
I encountered a wannabe pickpocket who thought I didn't know he was checking all of my pockets AND my socks. He also didn't know that I actually had the cash in my hand at the time. I didn't say anything, since it was in the same town where a small child was shot by a policeman who saw him grab an American's wristwatch. Besides, anyone that clumsy would soon be in jail or worse without my help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm passing along a video I just watched with two tips to make pickpocketing your backpack a bit harder. In short, keep your zipper pulls high on the pack and use pack pockets closer to your back.

YouTube video id: OvP-JJEuErk

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.