• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picos de Europa - Is it connected to the del Norte?

FSP

Time of past OR future Camino
CF-2013
CP-2016
Fin-2016
Norte-2018
Muxia-2018
Hello, I was scanning through Netflix and came across a movie titled Foot Prints. The documentary covers the journey of a group of young men from various backgrounds, some very challenging and led by a priest they embark on the del Norte. Their del Norte also included what looks to be a spectacular area of what must be the picos. Do any of the guidebooks cover how to incorporate the picos into the more usual coastal route? I can't imagine doing the norte and bypassing this area if it is an optional route. I'm just starting researching a del norte for possibly a fall 2018 journey. Thanks
Frank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw that documentary also. It was difficult to place them in actual Norte locations. There were a few scenes that were obvious...I did not notice the Picos in the movie..or for that matter while walking the Norte.
Actually, you do not have to do any detouring to have spectacular views and scenery on the Norte as it is fantastic.

I would have to look up the location to see if they are on the Norte or..if not...how to detour.
I would not detour to go up into hills or mountains as I am usually looking for a way to avoid anything that says "alto" on a map. ;)

I've seen that documentary and believe part of it does take place in the Picos de Europa from my research. I didn't see many of that film's locations when I walked the Norte. Just as in "The Way", movie crews can add or subtract sections as they choose, leaving us a little confused. :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lovely movie, bollocks geography.

There are beautiful routes through the Picos, including the Caminos Lebaniego and Vadiniense that will take you from the Norte to Leon on the Frances.

Any good navigator could loop off the Norte through the Picos and back to the coast if they wished but it wasn't & wouldn't be a camino route. It would make no sense. Unless, of course you were thinking of adding a film crew and a producer to the two pairs of pants and socks in your back-pack. ;)

Happy route planning.

and a ps. the Picos are spectacular and fine walking but you'll need more gear than you'd normally want to carry on Camino. Accommodation, water and food are sparse in those hills.

They start on the Norte but soon take a detour to visit Gaztelugatxe hermitage, and then head inland to visit Santa Toribio de Liebana, before walking to Covadonga, and then joining up with the Primitivo. So not really the "Camino del Norte" per se.

Santa Toribio can be reached via the Lebaniego (which starts in San Vicente de la Barquera), and then across the Picos to reach Covadonga. Apparently there's now a route between Santa Toribio and Covadonga and onwards to Oviedo to join the Primitivo: http://www.rutadecovadonga.es/ruta-de-covadonga.html

p.s. I remember a thread about this film a while back, and someone wrote in to say they knew the guys in the film. Apparently it was a very arduous walk, distances were long (however they chose to do over 30kms per day even in the mountains), facilities were scarce, and most of the pilgrims and crew required medical attention at some point. I'm sure most of us would adopt a less punishing approach, but as Tincatinker says, you'd need to be prepared!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may wish to explore the website that this webpage on the Picos de Europa is on: http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/Los-Picos-de-Europa-and-Asturias
Note though that the author is a many time USA long distance trail veteran and really likes the mountains and wilderness.
The very first time I googled the "Camino de Santiago" after watching the movie "The Way" in 2014, Francis Tapon's website came up first in the list with the heading "Ten reasons why the El Camino sucks". I thought oh, no and was dissappointed! But after reading his reasons I said to myself...."Perfect, I can do this!":D

His trip through the Picos looks amazing, but not for the faint of heart, of which I am!:eek:

The Picos are quite visible from the Norte, a little south of Santander.

Thanks for the info everyone. The picos look enticing but clearly not while solo trekking or with the light gear required for a traditional camino. I'll make myself happy with the Norte and its coastal path options outlined here in the forum. Jan, thank you for the link on the http://www.rutadecovadonga.es/ruta-de-covadonga.html. Looks like a very interesting journey in its own right. As most of us look for options other than what we have walked it is good to learn of these options.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The very first time I googled the "Camino de Santiago" after watching the movie "The Way" in 2014, Francis Tapon's website came up first in the list with the heading "Ten reasons why the El Camino sucks". I thought oh, no and was dissappointed! But after reading his reasons I said to myself...."Perfect, I can do this!":D

I had exactly the same reaction :)

Thanks for the info everyone. The picos look enticing but clearly not while solo trekking or with the light gear required for a traditional camino. I'll make myself happy with the Norte and its coastal path options outlined here in the forum. Jan, thank you for the link on the http://www.rutadecovadonga.es/ruta-de-covadonga.html. Looks like a very interesting journey in its own right. As most of us look for options other than what we have walked it is good to learn of these options.

I have to admit, walking along the base of the Picos, and after doing the stretch from Irun to Bilbao, I was awfully glad I didn't have to go up and over them... That being said, the Camino del Norte will try to lure you with "short cuts". Don't take them unless you are exhausted. The long, hard way is usually much more beautiful.

Hello, I was scanning through Netflix and came across a movie titled Foot Prints. The documentary covers the journey of a group of young men from various backgrounds, some very challenging and led by a priest they embark on the del Norte. Their del Norte also included what looks to be a spectacular area of what must be the picos. Do any of the guidebooks cover how to incorporate the picos into the more usual coastal route? I can't imagine doing the norte and bypassing this area if it is an optional route. I'm just starting researching a del norte for possibly a fall 2018 journey. Thanks Frank

I only saw the trailer, but at 0:40 is probably Ruta del Cares, which is definitely in the Picos but not on any official camino - but part of it is probably on Ruta de Covadonga (day 3).

I would like to know where is the stone walkway above the sea at 2.27? it almost looks like a mini chinese wall.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We found a route from LLanes (Norte) to Covadonga (GR 105.2 Camin del Oriente). It is only really walkable IMO in good/dry weather as the track goes over stepping stones at the end of one section. This year we walked a short section near Mestas de Ardisana - lovely area but not well marked and at one farm the dogs were loose guarding the cattle.
Due to the weather we actually walked part of the Norte and then went to Arriondas to walk to Covadonga from there (Camino de la Reina - GR 108). Once finding the way out of town the route was well marked and there was accommodation where we wanted it. The reverse of this route branches off to go to Oviedo (GR 105) rather than returning to Arriondas. We chose to take the bus from Arriondas back to the Norte.
We were carrying our normal Camino packs. There are more links here posted by @peregrina2000 and ourselves as well as our blog posts for the walk we actually did. (See all posts for June 2013)

I met the Father on the Primitivo in July 2014, it must have been at Tineo, I probably met him again after that but I cannot remember where. There was 4 older priests from Arizona who were walking in and around the walking schedule of the loose group I was with, and in that group was a young married couple from Arizona who were very devout. I think by the time that group in the film arrived on the Primitivo they must have have started walking regular stages again, I arrived on the 22nd July and them on the 24th, I only kicked on near and after Lugo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My desktop can't show videos but I bet you are talking about Gaztelugatxe, the place described in this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/footprints-movie-where-is-the-place.45336/

that is it, thank you! definitely not on camino del norte, but certainly in the area, if one is drawn to go there.

I think that picos are perfectly walkabale for the ordinary pilgrim also, you just need to research walkable routes/paths in advance and plan ahead for accommodation (and food). next time I am there, I am quite sure I won't be able to just go by the picos (as on ruta vadiniense, for example), I'm going to get closer too. (there is this mountain refuge right at the foot of the wall of naranjo de bulnes (pico urriellu), and the routes there and back look rightly spectacular.) come to think of it, some of the stages of the new mountain camino olvidado would probably fall in the same category as the walkable paths through the picos. hmmm.

Watched the documentary last night. Interesting from a #faith #malebonding #blisters #picos perspective. Worth a watch if u have Netflix

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, I was scanning through Netflix and came across a movie titled Foot Prints. The documentary covers the journey of a group of young men from various backgrounds, some very challenging and led by a priest they embark on the del Norte. Their del Norte also included what looks to be a spectacular area of what must be the picos. Do any of the guidebooks cover how to incorporate the picos into the more usual coastal route? I can't imagine doing the norte and bypassing this area if it is an optional route. I'm just starting researching a del norte for possibly a fall 2018 journey. Thanks
Frank

I just read about Picos which span I believe Basque and Cantabria or the later and Asturias. I’m planning the Norte March 2018.....I’ll let you know unless you’d up your walk date to March :)

I saw that documentary also. It was difficult to place them in actual Norte locations. There were a few scenes that were obvious...I did not notice the Picos in the movie..or for that matter while walking the Norte.
Actually, you do not have to do any detouring to have spectacular views and scenery on the Norte as it is fantastic.

I would have to look up the location to see if they are on the Norte or..if not...how to detour.
I would not detour to go up into hills or mountains as I am usually looking for a way to avoid anything that says "alto" on a map. ;)
Hi, I detoured off the Camino del Norte last May to walk the Lebaniego through the Picos and onto Santo Toribio and it was one of my favourite Caminos so far. When I walked the Francés in October I headed north from Mansilla de las Mulas to walk the Vadiniense, again to Santo Toribio and through the Picos, taking in Fuente de.
Few people do these routes but they are spectacular and there is accommodation (more albergues on the Lebaniego and more pensions on the Vadiniense) but it’s possible to walk under approx 25km per day. If you’re interested in doing the Lebaniego the tourist office in San Vicente de la Barquera has maps with stages, albergue details and telephone numbers FOC.
Best of luck!
Michele :)

I did the Lebaniego and Vadiniense routes in August 2016. The Vadienense briefly passes through the Picos de Europa National Park. There is a camping site—mainly RVs but there is a room with bunks for trekkers—in Fuente Dé near the cable car. I stayed there and recommend it; I wish I stayed a few days and used it as a base to hike the surrounding routes in the Picos. While on the Camino the next day out of Fuente Dé I saw a few signposts for the mountain refuges in the park so you can make detours to hike the area and then double back to get back on the Vadiniense to León...or head west at Cistierna (?) and walk the Camino Olvidado until La Robla to join the Camimo del Salvador north to Oviedo, where you can join the Primitivo southwest through Asturias and Galicia to Santiago. That is what I did in August 2016: started in San Vicente de la Barquera walked Lebaniego-Vandienense-Olvidado, Salvador-Primitivo-Fisterra-Muxía. I've completed six Caminos and this combination of routes is my favorite. Beautiful, challenging, unique, and solitary yet the crowds pick up on the Primitivo. I have a spreadsheet with the stages, distances, and prices that I paid for accommodation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the Lebaniego and Vadiniense routes in August 2016. The Vadienense briefly passes through the Picos de Europa National Park. There is a camping site—mainly RVs but there is a room with bunks for trekkers—in Fuente Dé near the cable car. I stayed there and recommend it; I wish I stayed a few days and used it as a base to hike the surrounding routes in the Picos. While on the Camino the next day out of Fuente Dé I saw a few signposts for the mountain refuges in the park so you can make detours to hike the area and then double back to get back on the Vadiniense to León...or head west at Cistierna (?) and walk the Camino Olvidado until La Robla to join the Camimo del Salvador north to Oviedo, where you can join the Primitivo southwest through Asturias and Galicia to Santiago. That is what I did in August 2016: started in San Vicente de la Barquera walked Lebaniego-Vandienense-Olvidado, Salvador-Primitivo-Fisterra-Muxía. I've completed six Caminos and this combination of routes is my favorite. Beautiful, challenging, unique, and solitary yet the crowds pick up on the Primitivo. I have a spreadsheet with the stages, distances, and prices that I paid for accommodation.
That route sounds very appealing Seth. I loved the Primitivo and would like to do the San Salvador one day because I’ve been told how beautiful it is. One for the future I think.

This is aiming to be a reply to the whole thread. I'm just so eased when there is a topic related to el Norte as I'm walking this route and this Forum I dominated by discussion of other routes

Seth, this combination is very appealing to me. I have walked the Norte, San Salvador and Primitivo before and would like to follow in your footsteps.
Would you be able to post your spreadsheet in the resources or PM me?
On the Norte last year I met a Spanish couple just outside of San Vincente and they were on their way to the Lebaniego and I wish now that I had made the diversion.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seth, this combination is very appealing to me. I have walked the Norte, San Salvador and Primitivo before and would like to follow in your footsteps.
Would you be able to post your spreadsheet in the resources or PM me?
On the Norte last year I met a Spanish couple just outside of San Vincente and they were on their way to the Lebaniego and I wish now that I had made the diversion.
Buen Camino

Seth...Many people would be very interested in your notes and spreadsheet.
It would be great if you could post it here in the forum.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I've been re-watching footprints many times because I really like the routes they took. However, my initial research says there is no official camino route that goes through Pecos de Europa national park so it probably is a hiking route that their producers researched in advance.

But, if someone has more detailed knowledge on how Camino del norte or even Camino Lebaniego can be connected through Pecos de Europa, we would really appreciate it if you can share it here.

Buen Camino,

Dale

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another thread a while back on this topic had the trailer in it. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/footprints-movie-where-is-the-place.45336/

In one scene, one of the men is kissing a cross. I recognized that as the cross that is said to hold a piece of the true cross in the monastery of Santo Toribio. That is in the Picos, near the town of Potes, and also the end (and objective) of the Camino Lebañiego and beginning of the Vadiniense. If you walk from San Vicente de la Barquera to Potes on the Lebañiego and continue the next couple of days on the Vadiniense through the Senda da Remoña, you will see and walk through these mountains. Potes is in the Picos, as are Espinama and Fuente Dé, and the day out of Fuente De on the Senda da Remoña is one of the most spectacular Camino days on my list. And the day from Potes to Fuente Dé is beautiful as well, just not quite as spectacular. I was tempted to stay put in Fuente Dé for a few days to do some of the amazing day hikes in the area, but I didn't. There is a LOT of good hiking in that area.

Another thread a while back on this topic had the trailer in it. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/footprints-movie-where-is-the-place.45336/

In one scene, one of the men is kissing a cross. I recognized that as the cross that is said to hold a piece of the true cross in the monastery of Santo Toribio. That is in the Picos, near the town of Potes, and also the end (and objective) of the Camino Lebañiego and beginning of the Vadiniense. If you walk from San Vicente de la Barquera to Potes on the Lebañiego and continue the next couple of days on the Vadiniense through the Senda da Remoña, you will see and walk through these mountains. Potes is in the Picos, as are Espinama and Fuente Dé, and the day out of Fuente De on the Senda da Remoña is one of the most spectacular Camino days on my list. And the day from Potes to Fuente Dé is beautiful as well, just not quite as spectacular. I was tempted to stay put in Fuente Dé for a few days to do some of the amazing day hikes in the area, but I didn't. There is a LOT of good hiking in that area.

have you done the VADINIENSE in march? a friend and I are considering doing it for easter this year.. and concerned about the snow in Fuente de or Espinama? Any insight would be wonderful!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im currently on El Norte. Two days ago I slept in SERDIO (great Municipal) and as you walk out of Serdio towards Pesues the Camino Lebaniego (?) was clearly marked at a split. It’s very popular right now as I believe it’s an anniversary year. PS big snow on Los Picos

Los Picos de Europa March 16-17 2018

Attachments

• B7E32C49-2607-447C-8199-7D79B3532CC6.jpeg
    B7E32C49-2607-447C-8199-7D79B3532CC6.jpeg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 20
  • D834506D-9CDE-44DC-9E16-E457F3FEE4C2.jpeg
    D834506D-9CDE-44DC-9E16-E457F3FEE4C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 18723DBA-9416-4FE6-816A-BEFBB2591052.jpeg
    18723DBA-9416-4FE6-816A-BEFBB2591052.jpeg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 19
  • EB6EE1F8-E5C8-47E1-8A3E-2A7F3A7EF638.jpeg
    EB6EE1F8-E5C8-47E1-8A3E-2A7F3A7EF638.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I can get your spreadsheet even though it was a while back?

Thanks! I’ll research it more when I have a map tonight! Thanks!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.