Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picture Fun Quest for the Primitivo

So - which town is this, although the snow ploughs may not have been there when you passed by.

Attachments

• 0372.JPG
    0372.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 9
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
that's just what I was thinking about the pond near the cafe.
I'd even say 'well, they walked a different time, the route changed' but Tio and Tia walked about the same time I did....

If you walked end April beginning May you should have heard the mating calls ;) "Brekekekex coax coax"

Tio Tel

Attachments

• brekek.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
Just to add to the 'which town' photo (post#201), rather than as an edit.

Attachments

• 0370.jpg
    0370.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 0372.JPG
    0372.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 7
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes. Another lovely church. The snow ploughs were there in May (2012) and it was a really cold morning as we set off. Great memories. Your turn. I must go and make my hungry other-half his supper.

Yes. Another lovely church. The snow ploughs were there in May (2012) and it was a really cold morning as we set off. Great memories. Your turn. I must go and make my hungry other-half his supper.
I think you two were ahead of me, I started in April but walked part of the Frances and the Norte before turning south...it was just, as it always is, very foggy
new picture to follow shortly:)

Attachments

• camino 2 2922.JPG
    camino 2 2922.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This one I'm pretty sure everyone saw (note the shells and arrows). camino 2 1843.JPG where is this?

If you walked end April beginning May you should have heard the mating calls ;) "Brekekekex coax coax"

Tio Tel
I couldn't open the file, but I did hear quite a fair number of all sorts of amorous fauna...I think you and Tia were ahead of me on the Primitivo, I left the Norte the second week in May, once at Oviedo left for a few days on the Frances, then resumed the second half of May...I wanted to be sure to miss any snow in the higher parts of the Primitivo (I do learn from others here);)

I'm not giving any more hints, just letting Europe know that it's bedtime in California (especially if one had paella for dinner and made/ate too much of it). ok, and maybe a bit too much left over Halloween candy. If you guess my pic before I wake up go ahead and post your new one. And Happy Dia de los Muertos to everyone!:D (pretend this is a sugar skull)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We were about 2 weeks ahead of you I think. We reached Santiago on May 15th. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were about 2 weeks ahead of you I think. We reached Santiago on May 15th. :)
I often wondered how far ahead of me you two were as I walked...and then as now always sang your praises for my walking poles...one of two items I took because someone with experience recommended it strongly (the other was a ball cap my running coach insisted I take) that were my most important items. I think I'd still be somewhere on the "wrong" steep path to Roncesvalles if I hadn't had poles with me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Correct! Next picture is from Tio Tel....:)

Being an "agronomo" for the first half of my working life, I enjoyed seeing these water-meadows with the acequias. Where are they?
DSCF0413.JPG

Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being an "agronomo" for the first half of my working life, I enjoyed seeing these water-meadows with the acequias. Where are they?
View attachment 30085

Tio Tel
well, now that I've read about water meadows and acequias, I wish I'd known what they were when I walked. :confused:
now all I have to do is find a picture in my files, most likely not labeled acequia:)
this may take a while...

well, now that I've read about water meadows and acequias, I wish I'd known what they were when I walked. :confused:
now all I have to do is find a picture in my files, most likely not labeled acequia:)
this may take a while...
Acequias are interesting. The main channel is usually across more than one property and has side channels across individual fields. You can block/unblock your own channels from the main channel to control water flow but must not block the main channel itself so depriving others of water, or causing their field to flood. Tio Tel's photo shows the main channel and some side channels. A second photo tomorrow if there has not been an answer before. (He is cooking supper tonight Mmmmmm)

I knew it was Bodanaya and I am happy I didn´t stay there this time...All of them had a stomach bug the next few days

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I knew it was Bodanaya and I am happy I didn´t stay there this time...All of them had a stomach bug the next few days
wow...what a shame. I specifically set my stops so this could be one of them. Wonderful owner (at that time Alex), great group dinner, great group of fellow walkers. Where did you stay instead?

No, further along than that. Terry is about to put the other photo up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
El pedregal (just before Tineo)?

This photo includes the track - one of the loveliest bits of the camino. Another pic tomorrow if nobody gets it right
DSCF0411.JPG

Tio Tel

This photo includes the track - one of the loveliest bits of the camino. Another pic tomorrow if nobody gets it right

Try this one :) Yes! It is exactly the same place. Look at all three together.
DSCF0410.JPG

Tio Tel

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
this is me guessing without looking yet for the new picture (no self control)...Fonfria?
ok, fine, I'm going to go look at pictures:)

Further on yet down the "Camino that shall not be Named"! Obviously in Galicia by the way the rays mark the direction. Did some of us walk with our eyes closed???

Tio Tel

Further on yet down the "Camino that shall not be Named"! Obviously in Galicia by the way the rays mark the direction. Did some of us walk with our eyes closed???

Tio Tel
hey, my pictures (and of course what drew my eye) were baby animals, birds, and old churches (oh, ok, and the occasional cow skeleton);)...walking here I would probably have been thinking...hmmm, grass....I wonder where the next bar is and pulled out my map:)...still looking at pictures titled "just grass"

Last edited:
was it near here?:)

Attachments

• camino 2 2747.JPG
    camino 2 2747.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
no...argh...I think my bunny was well before the km of your marker. your pictures do look familiar
my bunny was before castroverde. I will admit, between castroverde and Lugo I was more interested in trying to find a roadside hotel (in case you wonder, there weren't any)...so I"m going to say it is between castroverde and Lugo somewhere....

no...argh...I think my bunny was well before the km of your marker. your pictures do look familiar
Just after Castroverde, pass near a village called "Camino" then the water meadows are a few kilometers on from there.
If you like churches,here is an easy one!!
DSCF0209.JPG

Tio Tel

iglesia de San Tirso?

Exactamente - that is all that is left of one of the oldest buildings in Oviedo. Dates to the time of Alfonso II, about 840 AD.

Your turn!
Tio Tel

sorry for the delay...
you have a choice of pictures...because I'm not certain one of them was on the camino
Picture A:
why did I take this picture? (historical significance)
why did I take this picture.JPG

or
Picture B: why am I climbing these stairs
why am I climbing these.JPG

Tineo (??)

We have a note that between Castroverde and Lugo we walked through the most villages of any one day and none of them had a shop or cafe-bar. The CSJ guide had warned us of this.

Last edited:
Tineo (??)

We have a note that between Castroverde and Lugo we walked through the most villages of any one day and none of them had a shop or cafe-bar. The CSJ guide had warned us of this.
yes, and sadly I confirmed it. I didn't mind the lack of bars, and I knew there would be no albergue. But I had hoped, like the Norte, I might find a truckstop hotel, something...ah well, Lugo gives off a pretty glow once the sun has set:rolleyes:

not Tineo, both are in the same city, much much earlier. picture A is likely not on the camino, and I lost my CSJ so can't confirm if CSJ suggested the route with picture B but since I heard someone else complain about the stairs who used CSJ, I suspect it is....or it is in the instructions given out in the city

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sorry for the delay...
you have a choice of pictures...because I'm not certain one of them was on the camino
Picture A:
why did I take this picture? (historical significance)
View attachment 30107

or
Picture B: why am I climbing these stairs
View attachment 30108
well, it appears no one walked my way:eek: not a huge surprise.
Picture A: the grey concrete and red brick looking building, with red roll down shutters and black balcony: Napoleon had convinced Spain to let his troops travel through Spain to fight Portugal...then decided to stay, and put up a French government in place of the King of Spain. On 2/3 May 1808, a rebellion in Madrid was brought to a rapid, bloody end. On 9 May, French authorities tried to publish new rules in Oviedo (designed to keep down rebellion). At the corner of that house, protesters, including women, priests, and nobility, gathered...and a reasoned, explicit call for arms against French rule and support of the Spanish King was announced.
Picture B: my guide at least had me climb all these stairs up from near the Oviedo train station to a park, then wind my way around some residential streets enroute to Naranco. Maybe other guides went a different way. I will post an easier one.

ok, back to obscure chapels...
whose chapel is this (or the town where we wandered past it)
whose chapel is this.JPG ‌door.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The T and V household are stumped by this one :( At a guess it will be a San Lazaro but no i dea where.
Anyone else out there know?

Tio Tel
A first!:) I will turn over play to the other side of the pond since clearly I only have the truly obscure (and cow skeletons) left to play
this is the Capilla de Santa Barbara, in Barbeitos. It had some nice trees around it with a bench, seemed a good spot some would have stopped for a break (if they hadn't, like me, already just left the Meson Catro Ventos). ...I have no idea how the patron of miners, artillery, and thunder came to be there...

Attachments

• inside Santa Barbara.jpg
    inside Santa Barbara.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 3
  • camino 2 2892.JPG
    camino 2 2892.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
A first!:) I will turn over play to the other side of the pond since clearly I only have the truly obscure (and cow skeletons) left to play
this is the Capilla de Santa Barbara, in Barbeitos. It had some nice trees around it with a bench, seemed a good spot some would have stopped for a break (if they hadn't, like me, already just left the Meson Catro Ventos). ...I have no idea how the patron of miners, artillery, and thunder came to be there...

So even the village is named after Saint Barbara - must be some reason???

Here is a a church you should know, but maybe not from this angle :)
DSCF0482.JPG

Tio Tel

Here is a a church you should know, but maybe not from this angle :)
View attachment 30144

Tio Tel
I think just the Chapel...but I've lost my Primitivo book so have been playing off of a 4 year old memory (at my age risky), and where the photos are in my file compared to knowns (like the Meson)...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey, Michael, are you awake? come help with this!
it will take me a while

I think just the Chapel...but I've lost my Primitivo book so have been playing off of a 4 year old memory (at my age risky), and where the photos are in my file compared to knowns (like the Meson)...

I think Barbeitos may mean "fallow ground" - I have a huge Spanish dictionary but not a Gallego one!
Clue - the church has a very convenient porch at the west end . . . . .

Tio Tel

Santa Barbara, California, south of me, was named for the mission, which was named because the expedition survived a terrible thunder storm at sea before landing. I would always wonder if there was a story behind some of the chapels I would wander past...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don´t remember the back of any churches. I believe that I need to walk the Primitivo again.
so while we wait for Tio Tel...did you notice this (i.e., was it still there) when you walked? There was a notice about it posted on what I assume was the wall of the bar in O Acebo (it was closed and I had to leave without looking around because a big dog took exception to my being there)...the place itself was past the Meson Catro Ventas, once you crossed the road and went back into some wooded area (but not too far, really just a bit past the Chapel of Santa Barbara no one recognised)...anyway, it seemed someone was trying to start a Primitivo Cruz de Ferro type thing...I've wondered if that was what it was, and if it ever 'took'

Attachments

• camino 2 2901.JPG
    camino 2 2901.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • camino 2 2900.JPG
    camino 2 2900.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
..anyway, it seemed someone was trying to start a Primitivo Cruz de Ferro type thing...I've wondered if that was what it was, and if it ever 'took'

Don't recognise that either. We gave away the last few kilometres into Fonsegrada. Heavy rain and cold. Hid under the road and sent for a taxi :p

Tio Tel

Don't recognise that either. We gave away the last few kilometres into Fonsegrada. Heavy rain and cold. Hid under the road and sent for a taxi :p

Tio Tel
then that's why you didn't see Santa Barbara's chapel! I don't remember your church, but give me a while...since I don't I'm thinking it was someplace I walked either really early...or between castroverde and lugo where I was tired and it became dark...but I'm still working on it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
then that's why you didn't see Santa Barbara's chapel! I don't remember your church, but give me a while...since I don't I'm thinking it was someplace I walked either really early...or between castroverde and lugo where I was tired and it became dark...but I'm still working on it!

We made our own bocadillos in the porch here. Tin of sardines and bread roll! Just to prove we really were there!
DSCF2693.JPG

Tio Tel

€83,-
ok, I'm going to start guessing to narrow down my search:)
Lastra?
No, you were nearer geographically in your last post although it is not between Castroverde and Lugo.
Off quest photo - under the road sheltering from horizontal rain/sleet 10kms before A Fonsagrada (2012) - Terry walked it all in 2009 but the distance and weather meant we took a taxi at the walkway rather than nearer A Lastra

Attachments

• tunnel shelter.jpg
    tunnel shelter.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
We made our own bocadillos in the porch here. Tin of sardines and bread roll! Just to prove we really were there!
View attachment 30154

Tio Tel
The iglesia de San Juan...I don't remember the name of the town, before San Vicente do Burgo ...
Tia Valeria's remark about the tunnel before Fonsagrada made me think about this tunnel, which my guide had said was necessarily to pass through quickly to stay out of the way of cars...first was San Lazaro, then tunnel, then St John's church, then San Vicente (I have a name on the fountain at San Lazaro, and a street sign in San Vicente...I have got to get a new guide just so I can organize these pictures)

Attachments

• look both ways.JPG
    look both ways.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
The iglesia de San Juan...I don't remember the name of the town, before San Vicente do Burgo ...
Tia Valeria's remark about the tunnel before Fonsagrada made me think about this tunnel, which my guide had said was necessarily to pass through quickly to stay out of the way of cars...first was San Lazaro, then tunnel, then St John's church, then San Vicente (I have a name on the fountain at San Lazaro, and a street sign in San Vicente...I have got to get a new guide just so I can organize these pictures)

Seeing as we are in Galicia, it is San Xoan (San Juan) in Seoane.
Your turn, but we will not be around until after lunch (our time) because of church service!

Blessings
Tio Tel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seeing as we are in Galicia, it is San Xoan (San Juan) in Seoane.
Your turn, but we will not be around until after lunch (our time) because of church service!

Blessings
Tio Tel
San Xoan...
I only remembered the name because John was my father's name...I usually liked to peak into any St John churches but this had a group of people gathered at it so I didn't.
Take your time...
I"m going to post a picture then be gone for a while so if anyone guesses it feel free to 'play through':)

who is the saint, and in what city was I standing when I took the picture?
who and where is this.jpg

El Burgo Ranero?

The title of the thread should inform you that the pictures are all taken on the Camino Primitivo. That is, between Oviedo and Melide. Nowhere near El Burgo Ranero (Leon). The pond was near Grandas de Salime as noted above!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No @Smallest_Sparrow - we cannot remember this one. We would have said St Jerome (the lion) and maybe Lugo, but that is just guessing
I'll award the win...this is San Frolian from Lugo's cathedral....I love the story of San Frolian and the wolf:)
here is the entire view you would have standing near the arch I"m sure we remember (San Frolian is under the top left tower)entire view.JPG camino 2 3529.JPG

Churches and chapels attracted us. Where is this chapel - bonus virtual points for its name. Nearest village accepted as an answer :)

Attachments

• 2483.JPG
    2483.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2482.JPG
    2482.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 5
Churches and chapels attracted us. Where is this chapel - bonus virtual points for its name. Nearest village accepted as an answer :)
rats. I know this one. I almost used it. I'm running to the store, but if no one has guessed by the time I get back and review pictures (for like the fiftieth time this week), victory is mine!

Yes, Capilla de la Esperanza de Malneira, halfway between Cereijeira and Castro.
Your turn Michael

Last edited:
Off to make supper, back tomorrow. Waiting to see what Michael puts up next....

Now an easy one.
14492386_1290725227625379_6553154667438739762_n.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ok, I admit this may or may not be exactly on the Camino...but the town was tiny enough in 2012 that if it wasn't, it was certainly within view of the only place to buy a drink...
which town is this
where are these children playing.JPG

OK, per Google earth, I actually was not lost in this plaza, it is on the camino:)
I'm not saying how many times I was lost once I left this town

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
we had a woman in the market before...I don't think this one...
or do you mean me being lost...yes, many times

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, Michael, that was quick. Once again back across the pond. I'll be in the garden for a while so take your time:)

€46,-
We think this weather station is new since we walked.
Is anyone else (other than @Smallest_Sparrow ) playing??

I give up! Just came to ahve a look at this thread. I keep getting excited....oooh I know that one, it's those stupid stairs out of Oviedo direction Naranco.....aagghh he's already told teh answer....ah well, I know that one too, Castroverde, beautiful albergue in that town, so glad we pushed on to stay in it and have a short day into Lugo, and the supermarket by the statue was good too...aaagghh the answer's up for that one too. Don't know the latest one.

I give up! Just came to ahve a look at this thread. I keep getting excited....oooh I know that one, it's those stupid stairs out of Oviedo direction Naranco.....aagghh he's already told teh answer....ah well, I know that one too, Castroverde, beautiful albergue in that town, so glad we pushed on to stay in it and have a short day into Lugo, and the supermarket by the statue was good too...aaagghh the answer's up for that one too. Don't know the latest one.
in 2012 it was rumored that a beautiful albergue had just been built in castroverde...sadly, it was still being built when I arrived there :(
by the time i reached the outskirts of Lugo, it looked like this

Attachments

• am I there yet.JPG
    am I there yet.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
since we haven't heard from Michael, I think you should post a picture...we need some new players! Besides, you're the only one who recognized the stairs, I thought maybe I had imagined them....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 30221 It's not a fabulous photo, but it's probably a good one for this thread.
oh, because we're not good enough for a fabulous picture?!?:confused:
just kidding...I've got to go review my photos...but I'll bet Tio Tel knows this immediately. He likes putting up pictures of a field in the middle of nowhere;)
as opposed to my chapels in the middle of nowhere, and Michael's bars in the middle of nowhere:)

oh, because we're not good enough for a fabulous picture?!?:confused:
just kidding...I've got to go review my photos...but I'll bet Tio Tel knows this immediately. He likes putting up pictures of a field in the middle of nowhere;)
as opposed to my chapels in the middle of nowhere, and Michael's bars in the middle of nowhere:)
Not only bars...lol....Makes me think that I have another bar photo...lol

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back