Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Pictures and thoughts from the Primitivo in May 2009

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
My 'Blog' address is noted elsewhere but here it is again for those who have not yet found it! The Camino Primitivo is well worth considering as an option. Maybe not as hard as is sometimes made out. The scenery is stunning, the people kind and helpful and if you are into history it is there round every corner. Try it and see!

http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/

walk well and safely
Tio Tel

peregrina09

Dear Terry,

So wonderful to revisit your blog and photos with the informative descriptions.

Also funny because I was following your progress everyday on this blog, up until the time I left for Spain. Your posts were an inspiration for me.

The Primitivo is a beautiful walk and very worthwhile. And whatever parts I found tough - I made it! If I can do it, anyone can.

I notice that your stages of the walk were broken up into more reasonable distances than what I attempted.

I started with a very ambitious idea of how far I could go each day – but I didn’t account for the terrain or the weather. We pushed ourselves because of time restrictions. Also, getting lost the first day leaving Oviedo delayed my schedule quite a bit.

But that’s part of what is brilliant about the Camino – my “Plan B” - with all the fortunate moments of happenstance (and challenge) - was so much better than what I had planned for myself.

The stages weren’t inherently difficult. But after many long hours trying to keep up with the recommended distances, and with backpack and mud and the wrong footwear – this was sometimes tough. That’s why I would recommend taking time with the stages – And going at one’s own pace, when possible. I feel this would be a more enjoyable way to approach the Camino Primitivo.

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
peregrina09 said:
I would recommend taking time with the stages – And going at one’s own pace, when possible. I feel this would be a more enjoyable way to approach the Camino Primitivo.

This is exactly what I would recommend! I left Santander on the 27th April with the intention of being in Santiago for Pentecost, 31st May. I had plenty of time and took 6 'days off' on the way plus a short day so that I could stay in the super albergue in Bodenaya. I still arrived in Santiago 2 days early. None of it mattered, only that I had time to 'listen to the Camino'. Also time to enjoy the quietness - I could feel the stress of 20 years pastoral ministry oozing away . .

Blessings
Terry

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15

peregrina09

Dear Tio Tel and Tia Valeria,

I'm delighted to see your blog posts and photos from more recent journeys, with all the lovely detail and observation. It's wonderful to take time on the Primitivo, rather than just speeding through.

One of the ideas that appealed to me about starting my Camino in Oviedo at the Cathedral of San Salvador was the traditional saying that you quote in your blog: "He who goes to the servant (St. James), without going to the Master first, goes to the created and not the Creator'". As I knelt before the statue of Christ the Savior - and prepared for my walk - I considered the prayers of all pilgrims that had come before me in the same spirit - A powerful, quiet moment!

I wish you all the very best for your plans for 2012!

Best, Kristine

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Thanks Kristine,
We started our Camino this year in Tineo, where we turned back in 2010. This year we hope to get right through to Santiago. So far, so good. We started in good weather. Lovely, if hard, walking steep hills from Tineo, snow on the montain tops. Puerto de Palo was wonderful, clear views not mist like Terry had in 2009. He had to walk the road then. We also walked through La Mesa and over Buspol which Terry could not do because of bad weather in 2009. We stayed at the Hotel Grandas just past the dam before going into Grandas next day. Then Castro the day after. Then the rain started on the way to Fonsagrada and we had 3 very wet days, with a (heavy) showery 4th. Rest day in Lugo, stll some showers.....
We´ll start a 2012 thread when we have completd our pilgrimage, have time and can process our photos.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We did it :) More to follow on the Primitivo thread later, once we have sorted ourselves and some photos out. :)

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Laurie, are you going to walk San Salvador first? In that case I would like to have your notes. BTW, I got the San Salvador credentials in Leon and some info, too. Looks like San Salvador/ Primitivo are my next caminos next year.
annie

Advertisement

Booking.com