• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pictures of El Salvador on radiobuencamino.net

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow!! I love your photos, they are wonderful!
And what a walk. I can't wait!

Looks like its a bit colder in the mountains already? As you are wearing jackets in the sunshine?
I'm thinking about how much clothes I will need to pack.
Susanna

Oh, Gunnar, these are BEAUTIFUL. Brings back so many good memories. Can't wait to see more! So you WERE telling the truth when you said that there were five pilgrims in Pajares. ;) Still hard for me to believe, though, since I've walked it twice and never saw a soul! Thanks for posting them. Ok, I really MUST get to work! Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
About the Camino Del Salvador
Between León and Oviedo lays the Camino del Salvador, a 125km stretch that crosses two mountains of the Picos De Europa. This camino is an ancient one. In the 8th century, when the Moors swept northwards through Spain, holy relics from Christian communities in the south were sent north for safety. Many of them ended up in the Cathedral del Salvador in Oviedo. Pilgrims were encouraged to believe they should first visit the Cathedral of Our Saviour in Oviedo before traveling onwards, usually on the Camino Primitivo to Lugo - Melide - Santiago de Compostela. [Source: A Guide to the Camino del Salvador - January 2010]. More info will follow.

Hay un pequeño fallo en el texto que veo que comete mucha gente, quizás por desconocimiento. El Camino del Salvador, lo que en realidad atraviesa es la Cordillera Cantábrica, no los Picos de Europa. Aunque suelen considerarse parte de la Cordillera Cantábrica, en realidad los Picos de Europa son tres macizos independientes ella. Están a unos setenta kilómetros al este de Pajares.

There is a small mistake in the text that I see that makes many people, perhaps due to ignorance. El Camino del Salvador, which is actually traverses the Cordillera Cantábrica, not the Picos de Europa. Although usually considered part of the Cordillera Cantábrica, in reality the Picos de Europa are three independent clumps it. They are about fifty miles east of Pajares.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Laurie, in fact we were 7 in Pajares. There is also the photographer who was Esmine and there was a young guy who didn't had a cena and was calling outside the albergue at that moment. We were 3 in Campomanes and the last two days, we didn't see someone on the camino.
Susanna,
It's fresher in the mountains. We started walking around 7:00 - 8:00. I remember seeing electronic displays (from pharmacies) telling +8°C. Once the sun climbed over the mountains, the temperature raised quickly but was still comfortable.
In the afternoon around 14:00, the temperature raised till 26°C-30°C and it became too hot in the sun. Esmine wore jackets and long sleeve shirts to protect her skin.
There was one exception. When we started walking from Pajares into the valley, there was a very strong wind. And it was a very hot wind. Like it came from right from the African Sahara.
I can imagine that in September the temperature can decrease and there is more chance that there is a cold, wet mist in the mountains. I remember speaking to an old lady in Poladura de Tercia. She was telling me that it can rain a lot. When we arrived in Oviedo, I saw clouds in the mountains.
Hola Angulero,
Thank you for clearing this out. On my roadmap, the word PICOS DE EUROPA is covering also Oviedo. But I was hesitating because the Natural Park of the Picos is in the area Potes - Fuente De. I read in a book in a hotel that they used also the term CENTRAL MOUNTAINS.
I will do the correction and mention Cordillera Cantábrica. Muchas gracias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just had to stop myself looking :) I only allowed myself to look at the first few pictures but it looks lovely... I am setting out from Leon on Sunday and I am trying not to spoil the surprise.

Really nice pictures Gunnar!!! Can't wait to see your video footage. I guess it was quite hard to pull the cart through mountains and on those rocky paths.

B.

Hola Angulero,
Thank you for clearing this out. On my roadmap, the word PICOS DE EUROPA is covering also Oviedo. But I was hesitating because the Natural Park of the Picos is in the area Potes - Fuente De. I read in a book in a hotel that they used also the term CENTRAL MOUNTAINS.
I will do the correction and mention Cordillera Cantábrica. Muchas gracias.

Potes y Fuente Dé están en la parte de los Picos de Europa que pertenece a Cantabria, También Asturias y Castilla y León forman parte del parque, por ejemplo Covadonga y Cabrales en Asturias o la zona de Sajambre y Valdeón en León.
Como dije antes, aunque los Picos de Europa forman parte de la Cordillera Cantábrica, son una unidad geológicamente independiente a ésta, ya que su formación es posterior a la de la cordillera, son más jóvenes.

La Montaña Central es como se denomina a una zona de la Cordillera Cantábrica, precisamente la zona asturiana que atraviesa el Camino del Salvador.
Otras zonas de la cordillera son el parque de Redes, Somiedo, Las Ubiñas, Fuentes del Narcea, Riaño, Babia, Liébana, Ancares..... casi todo declarado Reserva de la Biosfera por la UNESCO.

Potes and Fuente Dé are in the Picos de Europa belonging to Cantabria. Also Asturias and Castilla y León are part of the park, for example Covadonga and Cabrales in Asturias or Sajambre and Valdeón area in León.
As I said before, although the Picos de Europa are part of the Cordillera Cantábrica are geologically independent unit to it, since its formation is after the of the range, are younger.
La Montaña Central is the name given to an area of the Cordillera Cantábrica, Asturias precisely the area that crosses the Camino del Salvador.
Other areas of the cordillera are the Parque de Redes, Somiedo, Las Ubiñas, Fuentes del Narcea, Riano, Babia, Liebana, Ancares ..... almost all declared Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Esmine wore jackets and long sleeve shirts to protect her skin.
There was one exception. When we started walking from Pajares into the valley, there was a very strong wind. And it was a very hot wind. Like it came from right from the African Sahara.

Eso es por un fenómeno llamado foehn. Cuando sopla el viento del sur o suroeste, la humedad queda retenida en la parte sur de la cordillera. Ese viento seco, al bajar por los valles se calienta por lo que la diferencia de temperatura entre un lado y otro de la cordillera es notable. En invierno, cuando hay una borrasca cerca de Galicia, en la costa del cantábrico suele soplar el viento del suroeste. Puede estar diluviando en Galicia y otras zonas de España y aquí, debido a ese efecto, podemos tener fácilmente entre 18-20ºC.

That is a phenomenon called foehn. When the wind blows from the south or southwest, moisture is retained in the southern part of the range. That dry wind, dropping through the valleys is heated so that the temperature difference between either side of the range is remarkable. In winter, when there is a storm near Galicia on the Cantabrian coast is naturally windy southwest. It may be pouring rain in Galicia and other parts of Spain and here, because of that fact, we can easily have between 18-20°C.

Again thank you for all feedback and especially for explaining the foehn (hair dryer?) phenomenon. The foehn effect disappeared when we arrived in the valley, when the clouds disappeared and he sun came through.

And yes, pulling the cart was not so easy. The most difficult section was the second part of Pajares - Campomanes. Especially when we had to enter a meadow and the cow block system were two poles with a very narrow width (x2). In fact too narrow also for a back pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Angulero,
I didn't know this phenomenon. I read more to understand it. The increase in temperature is in fact because the dry wind is going from a low pressure on top of the mountain to a heigher pressure in the valley. This make sense when I remember the physics lessons.
And yes, Föhn is also used for hair dryer, especially in Holland and the eastern part of Belgium.

Hey Angulero,
I didn't know this phenomenon. I read more to understand it. The increase in temperature is in fact because the dry wind is going from a low pressure on top of the mountain to a heigher pressure in the valley. This make sense when I remember the physics lessons.
And yes, Föhn is also used for hair dryer, especially in Holland and the eastern part of Belgium.

;):)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Flechitero,
I always forget to count myself

Now you can see on radiobuencamino.net the two types of Salvadoranas

I never thought the forum would enhance my meteorological knowledge, as well as my geography! Gunnar, we want more pictures. They are great! But there are still many kms from Pajares to Oviedo.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great pictures Gunnar! Oh no, it appears that I will have to combine the Salvador with the Primitivo next year!

I remember experiencing the foehn or föhn when I lived in Geneva in addition to the Bise which is a cold, northeast wind (also means a kiss in French;)).

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Yes, I read that the föhn wind is in fact associated with The Alps. It seems they don't like it a lot because it melts the snow and it can cause an avalanche.
Meanwhile I added 9 more pictures. It's possible you have to clear the history of your webbrowser if you still see ... till Pajares.

Por último y como curiosidad, aquí en Asturias, cuando en otoño sopla ese viento, se le llama "aire de las castañas". Es así porque es la época de recogida de las castañas y ese viento ayuda a que caigan de los castaños.

Finally, as a curiosity, here in Asturias, where the wind blows in autumn, is called "aire de las castañas". It is so because it is the time of collecting chestnuts and that wind helps the chestnut trees falling.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aire_de_las_Castañas

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Por último y como curiosidad, aquí en Asturias, cuando en otoño sopla ese viento, se le llama "aire de las castañas". Es así porque es la época de recogida de las castañas y ese viento ayuda a que caigan de los castaños.

Finally, as a curiosity, here in Asturias, where the wind blows in autumn, is called "aire de las castañas". It is so because it is the time of collecting chestnuts and that wind helps the chestnut trees falling.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aire_de_las_Castañas

That sounds nice! I wonder when the chestnut season starts in Asturias?
I'm arriving in Oviedo just in time for the festival in September. :)
I was hoping they would have started to sell roasted chestnuts in the streets, but maybe that's too early?

October seemed to be peak season in Leon for chestnuts last year. There were sections that it was treacherous walking through the spikey little green balls because there were so many of them. Like trying to walk over billiard balls. Lots of people selling them along the trail and people (particularly Korean walkers) cooking them in the albergues at night.

Sí, ya bien entrado octubre se empiezan a recoger las castañas. Y de octubre a diciembre, aquí en Asturias, se hace el "amagüestu", que es cuando se asan las castañas y se sirven generalmente con la sidra dulce recién hecha. Se hace mucho ahora por los colegios, para que no se pierda la tradición.

Septiembre suele ser mes de avellanas. Cuando pases al lado de un avellano, posiblemente puedas coger alguna.

Yes, well into October will start to pick up the chestnuts. And from October to December, here in Asturias, becomes the "Amagüestu", when chestnuts are roasted and are usually served with fresh sweet cider check. It makes it much now by colleges, so as not to lose the tradition.
September usually hazelnut month. When you walk next to a hazel possibly can take some.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you, both of you. :)
Thank sounds nice, I think I must walk the Primitivo route too, after the Salvador. And stay in Spain until October.
I must not miss the chestnuts. ;)

Finally, the photographer ended in Oviedo. 88 available pictures.
Next step is video edition. See you in a few months.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
muchas gracias, Gunnar, so many memories lived again after seeing your beautiful pictures. When we were there last year, in may, we had rain, snow, blizzards and fog, and it is great to see photos of the Buiza-Pajares section in clear weather. I have to go back to El Salvador, it is UNIQUE. Thanks again for the photos

Amaneceres como este de hoy son fáciles de ver en días de foehn. Se acerca el otoño.

IMAG1090_zps8d86080e.jpg

Wow! Spectacular photos. Thank you :)

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...
(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.