• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pictures that show you totally outside your comfort zone on the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, Kevin, I agree with Suzanne on this. I skimmed through my Camino photos on all 4 of my Camino routes, but I'm happy and smiling in every picture. Must not have been thinking of taking pictures in the adverse weather I walked in. Thankfully it was a rare occurance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The big one for me was walking across the Puente de los Santos into Ribadeo. OMG, I thought I was gonna DIE. The sidewalk is VERY narrow with a rather LOW railing to the left, where the drop off to the water is. Unprotected, or insufficiently protected edges, TERRIFY me. To the right was a high fence separating said sidewalk from the autopista where huge trucks were thundering by, each of them shaking the damn bridge as it passed. I was a wreck and nearly paralized with fear. I inched across mostly sideways, gripping the fence with my hands. Fortunately there was no one else behind me on the sidewalk trying to get me to go faster. Needless to say, I couldn't take ANY pictures of the view, let alone a selfie. I was doing the Norte from Oviedo. This year I want to do the ENTIRE Norte from Irún and I am already stressing about this bridge. I was thinking maybe I could lie down in the road at the beginning of the bridge, have a psychotic meltdown, and someone would take pity on me and drive me across!

C515C7E8-A08F-4DF2-A9EC-77E102ACEF70-61030-000015E16EE8F566.jpg

The big one for me was walking across the Puente de los Santos into Ribadeo. OMG, I thought I was gonna DIE. The sidewalk is VERY narrow with a rather LOW railing to the left, where the drop off to the water is. Unprotected, or insufficiently protected edges, TERRIFY me. To the right was a high fence separating said sidewalk from the autopista where huge trucks were thundering by, each of them shaking the damn bridge as it passed. I was a wreck and nearly paralized with fear. I inched across mostly sideways, gripping the fence with my hands. Fortunately there was no one else behind me on the sidewalk trying to get me to go faster. Needless to say, I couldn't take ANY pictures of the view, let alone a selfie. I was doing the Norte from Oviedo. This year I want to do the ENTIRE Norte from Irún and I am already stressing about this bridge. I was thinking maybe I could lie down in the road at the beginning of the bridge, have a psychotic meltdown, and someone would take pity on me and drive me across!

View attachment 51170
I had exactly the same experience! It was terrifying!

Beware that there is no taxi facility in the town before you cross, I know as I tried.

Good luck with the psychotic meltdown. You may see traces of my psyche by the side of the road :)

Beware that there is no taxi facility in the town before you cross, I know as I tried.

Good luck with the psychotic meltdown. You may see traces of my psyche by the side of the road :)
I see on Gronze.com that there is an alternative from La Caridad via Vegadeo that avoids that bridge. It is the historic Camino before the bridge construction in 1989.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I see on Gronze.com that there is an alternative from La Caridad via Vegadeo that avoids that bridge. It is the historic Camino before the bridge construction in 1989.
It might just be my poor memory but I'm sure there is an option for a ferry across?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After walking all morning and then having to climb the steps leading to Portomarin, I was wiped out. All I remember was how tired I was and how I couldn't wait to sit down to vino tinto y mi bocadillo! I wouldn't say I was totally out of my comfort zone but nearing its leading edge. LOL . 20180923_135400.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The big one for me was walking across the Puente de los Santos into Ribadeo. OMG, I thought I was gonna DIE. The sidewalk is VERY narrow with a rather LOW railing to the left, where the drop off to the water is. Unprotected, or insufficiently protected edges, TERRIFY me. To the right was a high fence separating said sidewalk from the autopista where huge trucks were thundering by, each of them shaking the damn bridge as it passed. I was a wreck and nearly paralized with fear. I inched across mostly sideways, gripping the fence with my hands. Fortunately there was no one else behind me on the sidewalk trying to get me to go faster. Needless to say, I couldn't take ANY pictures of the view, let alone a selfie.

It is a nasty bridge, but the views from it over the Eo estuary are gorgeous (I was going to say "to die for", but that might be insensitive):

DSC_0687.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
DD5C3E41-198B-4FA6-ADDC-AEF87F745A30.jpegSitting on a rock right along the Camino. Noticing a Horrible smell and realizing the gap created in the rocks was being used as a toilet. Never got used to pilgrims relieving themselves or the dumping of litter along the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very interesting photo. Is this on Via de la Plata ?
For the bulge in its belly seems a bull !!.
but of course no bravo.
I am Spaniard and never have seen a black bull free. I wonder if black bulls (no bravos) are dangerous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 51251Sitting on a rock right along the Camino. Noticing a Horrible smell and realizing the gap created in the rocks was being used as a toilet. Never got used to pilgrims relieving themselves or the dumping of litter along the Camino.

Hmm. The offenders must surely have been well out of their comfort zone to squat there!

Very interesting photo. Is this on Via de la Plata ?
For the bulge in its belly seems a bull !!.
but of course no bravo.
I am Spaniard and never have seen a black bull free. I wonder if black bulls (no bravos) are dangerous.

El Camino Francés entre Samos y Sarria. En realidad, no me parecía muy peligroso aunque me dio un susto. Se interesaba más por las vacas.
Camino (8001).JPG

El Camino Francés entre Samos y Sarria. En realidad, no me parecía muy peligroso aunque me dio un susto. Se interesaba más por las vacas.
View attachment 51298

It must be a cow. If it were a bull then would be a stallion, but I don' t see any benefit in terms of meat yield of calves in the mix with the cows on the photo. Furthemore, I would bet that those cows are treated with artificial insemination.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I Guess he means Dovre, we dont have Dumbar in Norway. Dovre is great though!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Finisterre on the 7th of November. So rainy and windy and cold that it was totally ridiculous ! A bit out of my comfort zone, oh yeah, but unforgettable ! :)
This could have been me in early May after leaving Castrojerez in the morning on the Meseta. Ahhh, the memory...love it (in hindsight)!☺

View attachment 51170
I remember walking this bridge last year. It was not a nice walk, I don't remember that it scared me. What made this stretch still more unpleasant was that there were two cyclists with their bikes "in hand" coming from the other side.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

€46,-

I also ran the camino de norte from Irun. I can not remember that this bridge was so scary. Have more enjoyed it from the beautiful view. Oh yes, I am suffering from height fear!

Living in Florida, this was way colder than I was used to, oh and it hailed too. But the journey was so worth it.

Attachments

• 20180512_102205.jpg
    20180512_102205.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I would not say I am ever outside my comfort range but here are some challenging moments on the San Salvador.

From water, to large frozen drifts and of course ankle deep mud. A very interesting few days walk. If you look closely in first picture you can see yellow arrow.

Attachments

• 340.JPG
    340.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
  • 341.JPG
    341.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • 351.JPG
    351.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 354.JPG
    354.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 51170

View attachment 51170

Two experiences in Portugal. A rope helped on this part, but there wasn't anything but scrub brush to grab on another section that was even steeper, so no time for pictures then.
test1.png
Then there was boulder hopping at low tide on super slick rocks.
test2.png
Finally (no picture) leaving Cahors, you climb very steep/uneven/large steps with no handholds - This is a place where you definitely don't want to lose your balance! Probably the most disconcerting of all.

I remember that bridge. I thought that it was never going to end! And it was super windy up there.
Fortunately it was tipping down with rain when we crossed and this must have kept me distracted from the other perils. This wasnt what I thought at the time!

After spending a winter in the arctic where we thought we had a heat wave if t reached 40 degrees below 0, I made a commitment not to walk the Camino between November and March.
As a couple of the other posters have been kind enough to point out, this was in fact the Dovre mountains. I don't know what I was thinking with the Dumbar mountains (probably describing my own condition) but I never know what I'm thinking :). That said, this picture was taken at the beginning of June.

€46,-
Passing through the Dumbar mountain range in Norway.
Yikes!!!! WAAY our of my comfort area for sure. Had all the snow I need to last my lifetime slogging to school in Western NY state. A "snow day" was just a day to put on your snow suit and start to school earlier. Isn't Norway a little more attractive in summer??
Admire your courage though!

View attachment 51162

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33a9.jpg
I don't drink because I can't STAND the taste and smell of alcohol. Wine might as well be battery acid to me. But along the Camino I enjoyed many family-style dinners that sported homemade wine and it felt rude not to at least try it. Never did take - I still hate alcohol. This is a picture of me sampling the wine at the wine fountain - because IT'S A WINE FOUNTAIN. And TRADITION. So any time alcohol was involved I was WAY out of my comfort zone.

€149,-
I'm not Catholic, and I almost never attend religious services. The rest of the trip is right up my alley.
camino stj.JPG

On the Portuguese Camino we had dinner in with a Portuguese family in Gijon. Barely anyone spoke English and we were gregariously accepted into the fold. I thought the grandmother was going to choke me and the daughter liked my husband a little too much after too much wine and port! Lol.😂

Attachments

• 20160924_214934.jpg
    20160924_214934.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 98
On the Portuguese Camino we had dinner in with a Portuguese family in Gijon. Barely anyone spoke English and we were gregariously accepted into the fold. I thought the grandmother was going to choke me and the daughter liked my husband a little too much after too much wine and port! Lol.😂
If meant Grijo. Gijon was on my recent Norte. My caminos runneth together.

You’re not helping me!! I lam walking the del Norte in September this year. I am NOT looking forward to this stretch. I note that there’s possibly an alternative?
If I do take this approach and see someone lying semi comatose I may possibly join them

I would not say I am ever outside my comfort range but here are some challenging moments on the San Salvador.

From water, to large frozen drifts and of course ankle deep mud. A very interesting few days walk. If you look closely in first picture you can see yellow arrow.
Great photos? Couldn’t see the arrow though!

Whoa! June??? What day of the year is summer in Norway?
Haha! Last year we had a long summer in the eastern part of Norway, from end of June till some time in August. But at that time I was walking the St. Olavsleden from Selånger. Sweden, to Stiklestad, Norway, and the wildfires in Jämtland really scared me! One morning the southern hills were swept in smoke from one of these fires, and I could smell it as well. And then I was told that this particular wildfire was about 100 km south of where I was! Luckily, I never saw it again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’re not helping me!! I lam walking the del Norte in September this year. I am NOT looking forward to this stretch. I note that there’s possibly an alternative?
If I do take this approach and see someone lying semi comatose I may possibly join them

Liz:

It is a bit of a breezy walk but not dangerous and the views are spectacular.

Ultreya,
Joe

I read the bits about the San Salvador route, and I say Amen. I very much love that camino, but it has tried to kill me a couple of times.
As for "comfort zones," I had a snow experience similar to T2Andro´s up there in March 2009, when the path was still waymarked near the ground... I had to use orienteering skills to keep on the path. Later that year, in September, I went back with an English friend who had a GPS unit (we wrote the first English guide), and walked into a thunderstorm at the top of the Sierra de Cuchillos pass above Busdongo. It was the coolest thing... you could actually see water condensing out of the clouds before your eyes! And then...KABOOOOM! My hair stood up, we hit the ground, the whole world went blindingly bright!! The rocks behind Piers were smoking... The lightning bolt missed us by about three meters.
I RAN straight down the side of that mountain, despite the underbrush and snakes and cow patties and pouring rain.
Piers thought I was really funny. He took a picture, but it´s not something you wanna look at!

€46,-
Two experiences in Portugal. A rope helped on this part, but there wasn't anything but scrub brush to grab on another section that was even steeper, so no time for pictures then.
View attachment 51353
Then there was boulder hopping at low tide on super slick rocks.
View attachment 51354
Finally (no picture) leaving Cahors, you climb very steep/uneven/large steps with no handholds - This is a place where you definitely don't want to lose your balance! Probably the most disconcerting of all.
Where in Portugal was your first picture taken with the hand rope? I'm walking the Portuguese this spring and in my research have not heard of this mentioned before.

I loved walking those steep stairs leaving Cahors after the bridge. Just don't turn around until you get to the top and all will be well!

Where in Portugal was your first picture taken with the hand rope? I'm walking the Portuguese this spring and in my research have not heard of this mentioned before.

I loved walking those steep stairs leaving Cahors after the bridge. Just don't turn around until you get to the top and all will be well!

The bridge was closed that day to get set up for Bastille Day, so we had to walk several miles out of our way just to get to those steps, so morale among the team was at a low point even before starting up. :D

The pictures are from the Rota Vicentina (starting in Sagres, taking the Fisherman's Trail), prior to getting on the Portuguese. If you can work the RV into your plans, you won't be disappointed - the scenery is spectacular! Tall cliffs, crashing waves, interesting villages ... we loved it. (Although, by the end of the day, your shoes will be two sizes smaller due to the sand in them. ;))

But, hey, I just noticed on your profile that you're planning to do the RV this year. I am so jealous - I'd love to do it again but, you know, so many trails, so little time.
rv.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I am walking the RV Fisherman's Way first, but going north to south, ending in Sauges, then a bus or train up to Porto to begin there. Glad to hear you enjoyed the RV! I'm excited, but a little apprehensive due to all the sand and some of the cliffs!:eek:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I am walking the RV Fisherman's Way first, but going north to south, ending in Sauges, then a bus or train up to Porto to begin there. Glad to hear you enjoyed the RV! I'm excited, but a little apprehensive due to all the sand and some of the cliffs!:eek:

I don't recall Sauges, but as you can tell, we went south to north. The order we went in included (Historical Way) Sagres, Vila do Bispo, Carrapateira, Arrifana, Aljezur, (Fisherman's Way) Odeceixe, Zambujeira, Almograve, Vila Nova de Milfontes, Porto Covo. (We had to get to Lisbon so we needed to skip a couple of sections following Porto Covo, but they weren't along the ocean so we were ok with that.)

In Odeceixe I can recommend staying at Casa Morais - it's like staying at your favorite grandmother's house. Really good breakfast included. Other than that the only other place I highly recommend is Arrifana Retreat in Arrifana, but you're not going there, apparently.

The sand really isn't that bad - just take breaks to empty your shoes occasionally. Yes, you do get near cliffs, but it's worth it. I will say this: we had great weather - if the weather is bad, knowing what I know now, I might think twice depending how bad it is. I mean, there's always tomorrow, amirite?

BUT, you will be fine! This is one of the finest trails I've been on, and then to follow that up by getting on the Portuguese ... well, you've got a great experience awaiting you.

Yes, I will be in Arrifana. Starting in Porto Covo south to Sauges. Not taking the Historical Way at all as will not have time for everything.
Thank you for the tips, much appreciated!

It was my first Camino in 2014, by bike. Rain was on the Meseta and the clay stuck to my bike tyres like riding through peanut butter. Not a tree in site, not a twig or stick to be found. I had one splayd (a spork) that helped to flick out the clay. It was like this for kms and the only respite was to clear the mud and push the bike wheels along on top of the few blades of grass to the side. As the day got dryer and hotter, the mud dried and was not so sticky...I was out of my comfort zone for part of that day. Next Camino in 2015 was on foot, a completely different experience.
20140521_195934.JPG

€46,-
As a couple of the other posters have been kind enough to point out, this was in fact the Dovre mountains. I don't know what I was thinking with the Dumbar mountains (probably describing my own condition) but I never know what I'm thinking :). That said, this picture was taken at the beginning of June.
Hiked Norway in good weather and in a blizzard.

After walking all morning and then having to climb the steps leading to Portomarin, I was wiped out. All I remember was how tired I was and how I couldn't wait to sit down to vino tinto y mi bocadillo! I wouldn't say I was totally out of my comfort zone but nearing its leading edge. LOL . View attachment 51190
How I remember those stairs! I thought, "What a cruel joke." People sitting on the steps near the top took I look at me and quickly moved.

€149,-
Interesting that your 2015 experience was so different, because when we did it that year we ran into the exact same situation you described for 2014, except prior to the Meseta. We were on foot, but the mud came over the tops of our shoes, and people on bikes were not having much fun. By the time we got to the Meseta, though, we were having great weather which we really appreciated.

View attachment 51170
Yikes!!! We are planning to do the Norte route in 2020. But I sure do not want to cross that bridge!!!!

€149,-
This was on my last climb up Mt Rainier, and one of the last climbs period before deciding this part of my life needed to retire. :) It had really begun hitting me that I was becoming atypically palm-sweating nervous and over cautious to the point that it was a lot less enjoyable and fulfilling than when I was younger.

View attachment 51501
I read a true story book by a guy who had hiked Mt. Rainier with a pal. They were roped together when the pal fell in a glacier crevase, died and pulled his friend down with him. It took about a week to climb out through sheer determination and ingenuity....No wonder you feel "done", Dave!

Yes, I will be in Arrifana. Starting in Porto Covo south to Sauges. Not taking the Historical Way at all as will not have time for everything.
Thank you for the tips, much appreciated!

Well, if you stay at Arrifana Retreat, say "Hi!" to Kate and Stimpy, the owners, for me. Super nice couple, and very helpful. The part of the trail where I said there were just scrub brush handholds is on the way to Almograve (vice versa for you, or course). After the Cahors climb, maybe it's not as steep as I remembered :). And that picture of my girlfriend on the rope was taken on the day to Zambujeira.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but do you mean "Sagres"? I can't locate Sauges.

Here's a video you might be interested in: https://www.adventure.travel/adventure-in-motion/rota-vicentina

The worst camino-photo shows me sleeping on a bench at Bilbao bus-station. I stranded there on my way back home. I did feel totally uncomfortable, but my tiredness won in the end. My mom took the photo with her old analogue camera, so I can not post it here.

The second worst situation was my walk to Santiago in May 2013. It had been raining for 5 days without a break, everything was soaked and even my camera refused to work.

The third was on Camino Primitivo last june. The path covered by mud, reaching up to my knees. Me balancing on a wall with a barb wire on it. No time to take a photo/selfie!

I think, that in the really bad situations you are not capable of taking a photo. But remembering them afterwards and acknowledging that you survivied, makes you smile and feel happy!

Well, if you stay at Arrifana Retreat, say "Hi!" to Kate and Stimpy, the owners, for me. Super nice couple, and very helpful. The part of the trail where I said there were just scrub brush handholds is on the way to Almograve (vice versa for you, or course). After the Cahors climb, maybe it's not as steep as I remembered :). And that picture of my girlfriend on the rope was taken on the day to Zambujeira.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but do you mean "Sagres"? I can't locate Sauges.

Here's a video you might be interested in: https://www.adventure.travel/adventure-in-motion/rota-vicentina
Thank you, I will take a look at the video and yes, I did mean Sagres! I will say hi to Kate and Stumpy for you, oops, I mean Stimpy at Arrifana retreat!😄

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While enjoying my walk in a quiet bucolic setting I was rattled a bit when I turned around and saw this van barrelling its way towards me; it was certainly not something I was expecting on that narrow path. I realized afterwards that it was a backup vehicle for a group of physically challenged individuals on camino.

Liz:

It is a bit of a breezy walk but not dangerous and the views are spectacular.

Ultreya,
Joe
This is all very jolly but if you have any issues with acrophobia, this is not a good place to be. While I love the "unicorns" and "rainbow" interpretation of the Camino as much as the next guy, the reality is that we can all react to situations differently and as such, a very normal situation for one can be a difficult and potentially dangerous one for another. No disrespect but I still don't like clowns :) For that matter, some people love the dogs on the Camino but others because of some type of trauma may be terrified by being confronted by one. Know your limits and work around them. Don't be afraid of being afraid. Be sensible and don't be influenced by others that may not have any understanding of what you are going through. In the alternative, bring a 6 pack :)

52101Torre de los clerigos in Porto. I'm in there somewhere, making my way up to the top. Way out of my comfort zone. When I was eighteen, I had no problem climbing up the spiral staircases in medieval edifices. I remember blithely climbing the Notre Dame in Paris. As I got older, that ability disappeared. Now all I can think is that if only one person stumbles, it's dominoes all the way down.

Totally wilted on a hot day on the way into Baamonde. Not sure I would say I was out of my comfort zone, because there was still no place I would rather have been. But it was very hot, very straight, very shade-less.

Attachments

• 26932DF8-DB32-44E9-B8FD-9FA98A102145.jpeg
    26932DF8-DB32-44E9-B8FD-9FA98A102145.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 35
In 1973 i had a bad horse experience been terrified of them ever since until i met this sweetie outside of Pieros. We shared some dried mango, my fear gone. Magical things happen on the Camino💜🐴💜5210552105

Yikes!!! We are planning to do the Norte route in 2020. But I sure do not want to cross that bridge!!!!
There used to be a boat, but I think it is no longer operating. The first time I walked across the bridge, it was under construction and it was a Sunday, so it was a piece of cake. A couple of years ago, with the bridge finished, I had to cross on that path. I kept telling myself the authorities know what they are doing, they have good engineers, and they do not want me to fall to my death. It worked, and I made it across. And then, the late afternoon visit to the Playa Catedrales totally wiped that scary moment from my consciousness. Try to make it there, it is awesome!!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back