• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Piece of San Antón arch falls on school bus

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Last week a piece of the San Antón arch 'somewhat bigger than a mobile phone' fell 20 metres and landed on the roof of a school bus as it was driving under the arch. There were no injuries; another bus was called and the students were taken to school, but the mayor of Castrojeriz said it could have been a disaster.

Article in Spanish from the Diario de Burgos: Cae una piedra del arco de San Antón sobre el bus escolar

In a follow-up article (not available online), the paper reports that the ayuntamiento of Castrojeriz will assume the responsibility of repairing and consolidating the arch to prevent further pieces from falling, and will do so as early as today.

¡Cuidado peregrin@s!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last week a piece of the San Antón arch 'somewhat bigger than a mobile phone' fell 20 metres and landed on the roof of a school bus as it was driving under the arch. There were no injuries; another bus was called and the students were taken to school, but the mayor of Castrojeriz said it could have been a disaster.

Article in Spanish from the Diario de Burgos: Cae una piedra del arco de San Antón sobre el bus escolar

In a follow-up article (not available online), the paper reports that the ayuntamiento of Castrojeriz will assume the responsibility of repairing and consolidating the arch to prevent further pieces from falling, and will do so as early as today.

¡Cuidado peregrin@s!
Seeing the San Anton arch appear out of no where in the middle of the Meseta was one of the highlights for me and then exploring it was rather magical. Sure hope they can repair it and maintain the Alberque as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I walked under the arch on October 1. Always an inspiration to be hiking the long road to Castrojerez, then walk under the arch and head into town with great views of the hilltop castle. One other tradition for us is to see the elderly man in his car with a basket of camino related trinklets. Our first three caminos, we waived him off. This time we were happy to see him and I bought a small item to hang on my daypack for the rest of our camino. Bob

My wife and I walked under the arch on October 1. Always an inspiration to be hiking the long road to Castrojerez, then walk under the arch and head into town with great views of the hilltop castle. One other tradition for us is to see the elderly man in his car with a basket of camino related trinklets. Our first three caminos, we waived him off. This time we were happy to see him and I bought a small item to hang on my daypack for the rest of our camino. Bob
Bob - I took this on Sept. 30 - we just missed each other!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved coming upon the arch and ruins of San Anton in late April, 2017. I recall it being a beautiful sunny day and across the road we stopped for a snack and a drink while basking in the sun at an outdoor cafe before continuing on our way to Castrojerez to end our day, where we enjoyed our hike up to the castle. As always, special memories of a wonderful day!

The outdoor cafe looking across the road at the beautiful San Anton ruins...my "kids" relaxing.
Screenshot_20211129-130231~2.png

Last edited:
One of my favorite albergues and best memories of my first Camino waaaaay back in prehistoric days.
I was hospitalera there one year and would love to do that again.
At the time, I never realized the ruins of San Anton had an albergue as well...dang! I was clueless, although Castrojerez was a lovely town to spend the night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why are they driving vehicles under it in the first place?
You'd think there would be amble space to build a road around it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bob - I took this on Sept. 30 - we just missed each other!
We were there Sept 28! It was such an awe inspiring place. With it and the castle, I think Castrojeriz was one of our favourite places. Our hotel also made the best Castillano soup in the country.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

I remember seeing San Anton materialise in front of me as the first rays of dawn appeared on the horizon, walking in August 2016. It felt truly magical. I remember thinking it was so beautiful and tried to take a picture but the phone camera just did not do it justice. The second time in March 2018 we walked past in full light and I got to explore it, however the albergue was not open at the time. I look forward to the next time I can wander under those arches...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes taken about a month ago! Has anyone seen the man riding his bike and singing around the ruins? He was there when I took this (I have a video of him) - it was a very magical moment.
Love San Anton, has anyone met the poet and shop keeper Angel across the road?A3EC03D6-ADA8-4F06-ACC2-62DD94F9F751.jpeg

Attachments

• 76E2D0E5-7157-4E01-B8FB-871D245B500A.jpeg
    76E2D0E5-7157-4E01-B8FB-871D245B500A.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 95
the ayuntamiento of Castrojeriz will assume the responsibility of repairing and consolidating the arch to prevent further pieces from falling, and will do so as early as today.
I hope they get some funds from outside the village to do that, because it might not be cheap.

I look forward to the next time I can wander under those arches...
Stay in the albergue - you will not regret it!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just another warning Pilgrims and Hospitaleros , I was nearly badly injured or killed within the walls of the ruins. Serving as a Hospitalero , I was sat on a bench in the shade of a main wall when some masonry from right on top broke away and crashed to the ground. As a precaution we moved all benches to safer positions. Beware Campers who use the walls sometimes to shelter from the wind. I do believe that generic warning signs should be displayed?

Why are they driving vehicles under it in the first place?
You'd think there would be amble space to build a road around it

Hi! I see that you plan to walk a Camino in 2022. When you will walk the Frances and you will pass San Anton you will notice the particularities and the details of this monument. And of course the road.

You could open google maps to see the details.

Here is some more info about San Anton.

Happy preparations!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m curious. I guess I could google it but maybe somebody knows. Are the lands and the ruins of the San Anton monastery privately owned? There is a recent article where lack of funds and maintenance by the authorities is deplored.

Ah, found something: The San Anton ruins were privately owned until recent years and are now the property of a foundation. And you can help maintain it:

If you want to collaborate in the maintenance of the Pilgrims Hospital or in the consolidation, restoration and maintenance of the Ruins, you can enter your donation into the foundation's account:

ES90 01280230060100086454 (Spanish bank account number)

I do digress a tad , please indulge me.
Ovidio Campo , his wife , friends and volunteers established the unique donative albergue and upgraded it in memory of Ovidio's late brother. The Albergue is certainly not a money making machine , that I can assure you. It is a labour of Love that needs a cash injection every now and then. One thing is for sure , miss the Albergue and you will miss out on the experience of a lifetime.

€46,-
Why not ?
People walk there also, what about them.?
People hiking under the arch don't rumble and shake the ground to the extent that buses and trucks do. So, the site will be safer for pilgrims if vehicles are not going under the arch

People hiking under the arch don't rumble and shake the ground to the extent that buses and trucks do. So, the site will be safer for pilgrims if vehicles are not going under the arch
If it's about the safety of pilgrims it would be cheaper and easier to solve this problem by creating a short detour of the Camino Frances. :cool:

I consider it as a futile discussion for us to propose appropriate technical solutions. Cars and buses rumble over ancient bridges all day long in many parts of Europe and boats pass underneath them and these old constructions don't fall to pieces either. I'm sure this will be sorted. Years of lack of funding and regular technical monitoring may have been the main problem here.

Hi! I see that you plan to walk a Camino in 2022. When you will walk the Frances and you will pass San Anton you will notice the particularities and the details of this monument. And of course the road.

You could open google maps to see the details.

Here is some more info about San Anton.

Happy preparations!
I checked google maps and there appears to be amble space south of the monastery to reroute the road

The current routing of the road through the arches makes for a really delightful surprise for those approaching the site for the first time. My eyes popped when I first saw it!

But there are practicalities. What might happen if the edge of a large truck struck one of the arches? What can happen, eventually will happen.

And the routing of motor vehicle traffic though the arches is hardly consistent with the original purpose of the edifice.

Perhaps there is some way to route motor vehicles well away from the ruins but still allow pedestrians, pilgrims' pack burros, and bicyclists to pass through.

Perhaps there is some way to route motor vehicles well away from the ruins but still allow pedestrians, pilgrims' pack burros, and bicyclists to pass through.
The road has been going under that arch since it was built. And if the arch is stablized, it can continue to. It's a relatively lightly traveled country road, not an autovia. Anyway, it's not a realistic alternative: how much money do you have to pay people for their land, to build a new road easement, and to repair/conserve the existing structure?

We pilgrims are not the center of the universe and it's unlikely that anyone cares much about our delight about walking under the arch. But I hope someone cares enough about the structure to conserve it as is - for its sake and the safety of everyone who passes under it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The road has been going under that arch since it was built.
I did not know that, thanks for clarifying the facts.

I had assumed that the arch was about 800 to 1000 years old and that the road had been routed under it after the collapse of the roof of the associated abbey/church/monastery.

I so hope to stay there overnight on my next Camino. Stayed in St. Nikolas last time and hope to stay in both of them this spring.
(my profile is in St. Nikolas)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sure. I guess it won't be for tomorrow. Did you also check the Spanish rules for expropiación - the administration taking someone's land and property away from a citizen.
I don't care what the process is, they just need to get it started. Obviously, there are thousands of roads in Spain so building roads is something that is permitted

€46,-
I seem to recall that a few years ago, the hospitaleros at San Anton’s would haul potable water in from town, as the farmer who owned the neighbouring property was not cooperative about sharing water. There was a fund raising effort to build a cistern.

I can’t imagine the neighbours giving up arable land for a road. Any attempt to appropriate the land would be expensive and time consuming and some officials might well think that Spain has enough ruins that saving one arch on a ruin wasn’t worth that effort. Doing some maintenance and repair and maintaining the status quo is far cheaper.

I did not know that, thanks for clarifying the facts.

I had assumed that the arch was about 800 to 1000 years old and that the road had been routed under it after the collapse of the roof of the associated abbey/church/monastery.
When I remember correctly the arch was build in the 16th. Century

I remember now because people sometimes ask how to get there and back. There is no public bus transport at all between Castrojeriz and Hontanas (San Anton is between the two towns). What is called a school bus in the article is actually more a people van than a big bus. It transports about 10 children every day, says the article. But oh boy if you saw the photo - that stone narrow missed the window and the driver and the passenger next to him.

I am not a building engineer but I guess that bits of masonry fall off because of age, wind, rain, frost, heat and the mortar aging and disintegrating and no repair work/maintenance being done. Here's a photo I took a few years ago. One can see lighter spots here and there. I wonder whether this is the renovation work that was done some twenty years ago?

Click to enlarge:
San Anton.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am googling to find the original construction drawings, but cannot find it. I would love to see how it was originally. Anyone (most folks) better at it than me?

I'm on the board of the new San Anton Foundation, although I am not actively involved in the daily round at San Anton any more. (I used to help run the albergue inside, and co-wrote a short history in English.)

The ruined building that exists now was the monastery church, center of a small monastic complex, with the road running right through it. The walls across the road from the church are what remains of the hospital and monastery buildings (and a cemetery!); the Antonine monks used to leave bread and wine in the niches you can still see inside the arches, for late-arriving pilgrims in need.

This was the national headquarters for the Antonine monastic order, a group that specialized in healing "St. Anthony's Fire," a disease that plagued medieval Europe. One of the best cures is lots of exercise, and not eating bread made from barley stored in damp northern conditions -- become a pilgrim! There's lots of legend hung about this place, and more is invented all the time.

The rise of hospitals and science in the Enlightenment put the Antonines out of business; San Anton was shut down when the monasteries of Spain were dis-established in the early 19th century, and fell into ruins. The retablo and lots of its decorative fittings were recycled into the Church of San Juan in Castrojeriz, where you can see them today.

The ruins were stabilized in the early 2000's when Ovidio and his little association took the lease of the church area, cleared out the tractor parts, and set up the beloved bare-bones albergue there. It now has a stable water supply, but still no electricity or hot water. It's a tough place, for tough people.

Re-routing the road is not a viable solution. What the site needs is a full, ongoing stabilization program, which will cost millions. The property is still privately owned, the foundation only holds a caretaker role -- which ties its hands when it comes to receiving public money for preservation or interpretation projects. Surprisingly for a Camino landmark, San Anton was never listed as a Bien Interesa Cultural (BIC), a historic monument -- so it doesn't enjoy special protections under national or regional patrimony law.

It's a tough nut to crack.

I'm on the board of the new San Anton Foundation, although I am not actively involved in the daily round at San Anton any more. (I used to help run the albergue inside, and co-wrote a short history in English.)

The ruined building that exists now was the monastery church, center of a small monastic complex, with the road running right through it. The walls across the road from the church are what remains of the hospital and monastery buildings (and a cemetery!); the Antonine monks used to leave bread and wine in the niches you can still see inside the arches, for late-arriving pilgrims in need.

This was the national headquarters for the Antonine monastic order, a group that specialized in healing "St. Anthony's Fire," a disease that plagued medieval Europe. One of the best cures is lots of exercise, and not eating bread made from barley stored in damp northern conditions -- become a pilgrim! There's lots of legend hung about this place, and more is invented all the time.

The rise of hospitals and science in the Enlightenment put the Antonines out of business; San Anton was shut down when the monasteries of Spain were dis-established in the early 19th century, and fell into ruins. The retablo and lots of its decorative fittings were recycled into the Church of San Juan in Castrojeriz, where you can see them today.

The ruins were stabilized in the early 2000's when Ovidio and his little association took the lease of the church area, cleared out the tractor parts, and set up the beloved bare-bones albergue there. It now has a stable water supply, but still no electricity or hot water. It's a tough place, for tough people.

Re-routing the road is not a viable solution. What the site needs is a full, ongoing stabilization program, which will cost millions. The property is still privately owned, the foundation only holds a caretaker role -- which ties its hands when it comes to receiving public money for preservation or interpretation projects. Surprisingly for a Camino landmark, San Anton was never listed as a Bien Interesa Cultural (BIC), a historic monument -- so it doesn't enjoy special protections under national or regional patrimony law.

It's a tough nut to crack.
Thank you Rebekah! You have satisfied my nerdy need to know.

Rebekah, as always, is a most reliable source for Camino information. Thank you!!

One of the absolute pleasures for this American to find in Europe, is to stumble upon places like this out of seemingly nowhere. I was in Belgium a few months ago and visited similar abbey ruins that were almost magical. They certainly didn't seem to belong there - a new train sped by it on tracks built on stone arches.

Finding a place like this where you least expect it makes the Camino what it is.

Last edited:
The first time that I walked by the Convent ruins was September 2016 when I started from Hontanas very early in the morning while it was still dark to beat the heat. I arrived at the San Anton just at daybreak, and it seemed very magical. On two subsequent Caminos I walked through in full daylight, and it lost some of its magic.

I am not a building engineer but I guess that bits of masonry fall off because of age, wind, rain, frost, heat and the mortar aging and disintegrating and no repair work/maintenance being done. Here's a photo I took a few years ago. One can see lighter spots here and there. I wonder whether this is the renovation work that was done some twenty years ago?

Click to enlarge:
View attachment 114176
You're pretty spot on your guesses. I do masonry facade restoration in the US and the usual culprits where I work are water, freeze thaw, rust, and material weaknesses all compounded by time. My guess is that the stone or piece thereof fell because it was weakened by water and freeze thaw, and there may have been a fracture line in the stone that was exploited by time and the elements. I also think that if the mortar were bad it would have been a whole stone to fall and there would have been some serious injuries. There's no roof over any of the ruins and they will continue to decay. Stopping rain from above is the most important thing to do to keep a stone or brick wall in good shape.

Your photo shows a lot of patching to the stones (the lighter areas) and some major cracking as well. It looks like the stone may have been eroding around the mortar joints because many of the patches actually look like a wide mortar repointing job. If those patches really are 20 years old they appear to be in really good shape, although one needs to be seeing them up close and personal to be sure. The contractor probably used an engineered product to match the physical properties of the stone.

Those old wall have taken a beating over the years. And they will need a lot of work to stabilize them and going 20 meters up means a lot more money than being right off the ground.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Reb , I was hoping that you would comment , without putting you on a pedestal , you are the 'go to ' person on the forum when it comes to San Anton. I suppose it IS necessary to caution pilgrims about tough conditions although the 'Hardships' can not possibly be as tough as what pilgrims that experienced up to 1000 years ago? At San Anton , when in operation , a pilgrim is offered a bed under shelter in a safe environment, There are modern ablution facilities with running water. There is a canal where one can draw water from to wash clothes. A pilgrim is then offered a FULL wholesome meal with vino.There is an adequate breakfast in the morning to start ones day. This all for a donation!? Where else in the World can one get such a deal? As far as I am concerned , if you are not tough enough , goodbye ;). I sure you know exactly where I am coming from , tourists that want a Parador for free😁. You are to kind ,l tell it like it is. Reb , here are a few photos for us all to admire.

Attachments

• CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 085.JPG
    CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 085.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 084.JPG
    CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 084.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 090.JPG
    CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 090.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
here are a few photos for us all to admire
Fascinating photos. Thank you for posting them. I see signs that say: Cuidado con las piedras! - Beware falling stones! Have the signs been removed since then? You said earlier that you were nearly hit by a falling stone and that you do believe that generic warning signs should be displayed?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fascinating photos. Thank you for posting them. I see signs that say: Cuidado con las piedras! - Beware falling stones! Have the signs been removed since then? You said earlier that you were nearly hit by a falling stone and that you do believe that generic warning signs should be displayed?
This was almost 20 years ago so There has been renovations since , I am suggesting more 'Picture' type generic signs that can be visually interpreted.

Cuidado con las piedras! - Beware falling stones! Have they been removed since then?
I had a look at my photos, and I see no signs. That doesn't mean they were not there, but simply that I was too busy looking up to notice. Looking at these photos with a less naïve eye, I wonder how these walls remain standing at all. It would be something to be there during an earthquake - fortunately this is a seismically quiet part of Iberia.

(If you stay and it's a clear night around the full moon...get the bunk by the door: you have a view from bed of the moon shining through the ruins.)

Attachments

• 20190530_122130.jpg
    20190530_122130.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190530_175428.jpg
    20190530_175428.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190530_175231.jpg
    20190530_175231.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190530_175138.jpg
    20190530_175138.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190530_122820.jpg
    20190530_122820.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20190530_122758.jpg
    20190530_122758.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190530_120854.jpg
    20190530_120854.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Since this thread has partially turned into one for sharing memories about San Antón, I'll offer mine.

I was completely surprised when I came across it on my first camino, as I had done very little research and hadn't seen photos or otherwise heard about it. It was the most evocative place of the entire Francés for me, and in hindsight, I wish I had stayed in the albergue (although I also liked staying in Castrojeriz and might have to do both next time as part of a 'slow camino').

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beautiful, @jungleboy !
might have to do both next time as part of a 'slow camino'
What I did as a 'slow camino' stage was San Anton to San Nicholas. I'm not sure which is better - it's like comparing two delicious varieties of cherry. Both are superp places, full of history and caritas.

I am going to start a thread about my experiences as a hospitalero at San Anton , prey do give me time to do this. There will be lots of pics and many stories. It will be beneficial to all , prospective pilgrims , Practicing pilgrims and Hospitaleros - look out for it.

since San Antón arch belongs to ruins they should be treated like such I guess. for instance by simple installation of some discrete net-like traps which would catch any debris departing from the walls. or at least one those lovely yellow warning signs - watch out for falling objects!
I concur that passing the arch provides exceptional emotional impact which stays forever linked to the memories from CF pilgrimage, so no need to strengthen it with a physical one...:cool:

€46,-
What I did as a 'slow camino' stage was San Anton to San Nicholas. I'm not sure which is better - it's like comparing two delicious varieties of cherry.
Did you say cherry? 🍒

We stopped in at San Nicolás and wanted to stay there too but it was quite early in the day so we pressed on. Another regret!

(I used to help run the albergue inside, and co-wrote a short history in English.)
A wonderful little book for a worthy cause. Very interesting to read.

san anton.jpeg san anton a.jpeg
The walls across the road from the church are what remains of the hospital and monastery buildings (and a cemetery!); the Antonine monks used to leave bread and wine in the niches you can still see inside the arches, for late-arriving pilgrims in need.

The niches.
DSC05184.jpeg DSC05183.jpeg

€46,-
Returning to the original story, the 'urgent' work on the arch began today, and will continue tomorrow. Pieces that were at risk of falling are being consolidated using fibreglass and steel rods. There's also a bit of a blame game going on regarding responsibilities etc that is playing out in the media.

More information (in Spanish) and a photo at the Diario de Burgos:
Se consolida el arco de San Antón de Castrojeriz

Returning to the original story, the 'urgent' work on the arch began today, and will continue tomorrow. Pieces that were at risk of falling are being consolidated using fibreglass and steel rods. There's also a bit of a blame game going on regarding responsibilities etc that is playing out in the media.

More information (in Spanish) and a photo at the Diario de Burgos:
Se consolida el arco de San Antón de Castrojeriz
Thanks for update. Sadly, so sadly, blame games are de rigueur in our times...

€46,-
Thanks for update. Sadly, so sadly, blame games are de rigueur in our times...
We have to be able to take responsibly for ourselves? one could even be hit by a Meteor? Accidents will happen , that's why they are called accidents? The authorities can spend billions and someone will still trip over a stone and immediately make enquires 'Who do I sue first'? To me , that arch across the road has been one of the epitomes of what my pilgrimages have been about. ;) :)💪

Edit: By the way @kirkie, no disrespect or castigation towards you , I just Do get passionate sometimes;)

Last edited:
We have to be able to take responsibly for ourselves? one could even be hit by a Meteor? Accidents will happen , that's why they are called accidents? The authorities can spend billions and someone will still trip over a stone and immediately make enquires 'Who do I sue first'?
The blame game mentioned in the Spanish news article is not about who is to blame for the falling stone. It is about the attribution of € 800.000,00 of taxpayer money that had been announced in the summer in the context of a plan to make these funds available for renovation and maintenance of historic buildings in the area. Originally, San Antón was included in the plan but then this was revoked and the reason given for it was that the San Antón project is a private project and not a public project.

At least that is my understanding.

"Who do I sue first?" - I don't think that Spain has quite the suing culture and the legal framework of which you may be thinking when you posed this theoretical question. 😶

Sadly, so sadly, blame games are de rigueur in our times...
Unlike the good old days? ;) Here's a quote from an article about blame games in history.

"..the history of humanity is the history of blame. The Normans burnt at the stake a cockerel for witchcraft, swords were prosecuted in Ancient Greece for murder, and St. Bernard excommunicated a swarm of flies that were persistent in annoying him. Whether comforting to blame others, or merely an evolutionary response to an inescapable feeling of responsibility and societal pressure, we have routinely affixed fault, sometimes with malicious intent and other times blindly, to innocent parties."

€46,-
A Burgos newspaper reports that the firm that stabilized the arch have recommended tha the road be re-routed around the convent and that further stabilization efforts be done.

I was surprised to read how easy it will be to re-route the road. According to the president of the San Antón foundation, it will be easy to take the road around the “right side,” though I’m not clear which side that is! But in any event, he says that the property owners do not object, and are content to be compensated if expropriation is involved.

But it took many many years for the traffic to be taken away from the Segovia aqueduct, so I suppose this delay is not surprising.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back