• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim age

A

Anemone del Camino

Age, such a loaded issue.

I first walked at 36. Back then I walked with mostly "older" people. A late-50s couple and theor 27 year old daughter. She and I were an anomaly. Also a 79 year old am, walking his 9th Camino in 10 years (surely he was mad).

Second Camino I walked with two men in their mid 40s, and a 22 year old. I had just turned 40.

Then it was a retiree convention, or just about. Including an 84 year old who thought this Primitivo would be his last. I didn't understand why or how: he didn't look a day over 70 to me.

All this to say that this Camino, VDLP, had me wondering about age. Walked with 3 people within a year of my age, and one 54. Also a 65 year old with a 14 year old. And with an 80 year old.

The 80 year old seemed 70 to me. We ended up walking together out of Merida, by chance. A good thing: I had good instructions, he had the head lamp. And we kept each other's pace. Yikes! He is 80, and has a bad knee. I'm 46. :confused: Then, when he got up at 5 am the next day, I decided to go out with him again (thinking it was 6am! :cool:).

There was also this Dutch couple. Mid50s surely. Nope. He was 70! Could walk 35km without blinking. He was a marathon runner. Oh, and the 82 year old German who had a bypass 3 years ago.

Then I met these two incredible women: energetic, smart, great studies and careers. Surely mid-30s. Nope, late 40s. Late 40s?!:eek:

Each Caminos brings some reflection. This one maybe about age. Somehow. Apparently the Camino makes people seem to me as old as they feel, and not as how old they really are? Or do we Camino addicts have an eternal youth gene? Or is it telling me I still have a full life ahead of me, and not just half?

What ever the message is, how wonderful to see so many non teens and early 20s people so active, perseverant, healthy, and smiling.

@mspath , you are in good company, and a wonderful example and source of motivation for all of us.

Now, if only my gym going 69 year old father would come out and walk with me. But he thinks he can't. Perhaps I can coax him in walking with me and my soon to be 10 year old nephew?

Yes, the C. is addictive. Even nursing my busted knee I am planning my next outings. The FB Salvador page has a post today about etapas for the Sanabres in 17 days... :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have met some of the forum members in Spain or in my homeland (@IngridF , @peregrina2000 , @jerbear , @peregrino_tom , @roberbolo , @m108 , @timr , @lovingkindness , @Botaivica , @ivar , and at least two more whose nickname I can't remember right now) and all I can say is that I never really noticed or thought about our age. I was just stoned with this flow of beautiful energy that we were kind of exchanging. Almost the same with other pilgrims, non-members, and I've met them in age range from few months (really :D) to 93 years old.

I'm 47 and feeling like I just began discovering Spanish Caminos a moment ago ;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
MsPath always gives me hope for humanity in all ways. Not just because of being able to walk at her age. Really, its everything about her. Ive never met her in person, yet she is one of my favorite people on earth. She has moved me more than she'll ever know.

And great post Amenome. If it helps, guessing from this post, you were late 30s when we met, and I would have guessed early to mid 30s. So you are beating the "age" determinor yourself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I've told this story before, but it seems appropriate here, since age is the topic.

When I was 65 and walking the Primitivo, I arrived at the albergue in Fonsagrada before it opened. There were two Spanish pilgrims there already, and as the time wore on it was obvious that they were talking about me. One then came over and asked whether it would be impolite to ask me how old I was. I said, no problem, I'm 65. He then looked at me and said, well, we thought you were in your 70s. :cool: I was at a loss for words, but couldn't help asking myself -- WHY would you say that?!

Anyway, I agree that age is not a big factor on the Camino. As someone at the older end, I am always happy to meet people of all ages!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow, what a fantastic thread! I agree with all the sentiments and can especially relate to C clearly's one:
I feel ageless when I am on the Camino.

For me, one of the unexpected gifts of the Camino (and this forum) is meeting so many positive role models of healthy aging. Sad to say, but many of my older female relatives don't radiate such inspiration and positivity.

And on a personal level, I regularly joke that my backpack is my 'anti-aging handbag'. As soon as I put it on, I feel 30 years younger. Or perhaps ageless.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hiking most of my adult life but 58 when I walked my first Camino. My hero on that Camino was an 80 year old Japanese man with one leg walking his third Camino. We couldn't keep up with him on the way but met him again in Finisterre. Age is a number and as someone once told me "think old, be old"

I'm liking all these posts so much--thank you for starting the thread Anemone!
Agree 100 percent about the kudos to Margaret--and also wanting to mention @movinmaggie and more than a few others here who walk on and on, in their 9th decade. The inspiration I get from reading of your Camino journeys is palpable.

Not all of us are or will be so fortunate physically. But I suspect that a good part of being able to walk in one's elder years is also good sense and a mind that doesn't make dramas out of things...And having the wisdom to take in the big picture that allows backing off (maybe even stopping a Camino in mid-walk) rather than pressing on and trying to walk through injury and illness.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My Spanish VDLP buddy used to say "Start as an old man; finish as a young man".
He and I were always being mistaken as being the same age; he was 54 and I was 46 (as per my profile pic). #3 of Los Tres Amigos was a youngster of only 40 years.

Two different thoughts here: (1) what are the actual ages of pilgrims, and (2) how old do pilgrims feel?
Actual ages can vary with the season; in France, working adults and students walk in the summer or on (sometimes long holiday) weekends, and the young retirees walk in May and September.

And how old do we feel? It never fails that on the third day of any walk, I feel ten years older. Fortunately that doesn't last too long!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm 56 & was worried about being the old guy.
Guess I can put that worry to rest lol
Not in the least. Most pilgrims are under 22 or over 50 because those are the demographics that can be away from home that long. My wife and I were mid 30s, made friends with both demographics, but were laregely alone in the inbetween age range most of the time

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually, that "age mixing" feature can be one of the unexpected joys of walking a Camino. My son walked when he was 19, but he walked in September when all the college kids had gone back to school and he became the youngster of his little group of about 7. That would probably not have happened if he had walked in summer, since our natural herding tendency pushes us towards similar people.

Last summer, my group of 15 on the Primitivo had two teenagers walking with their parents, and I had the privilege of getting to know two extraordinary young men who otherwise would not have likely been in my camino group. So I think it's a mix of serendipity and attitude.

Age is one grouping factor, but so are nationality and language. It's fascinating to watch how these groups form, and how some slip back and forth from the "English language group" to the "Spanish language group" to the "young people's group" etc etc. Lots here for psychologists and sociologists to ponder. :)

WOW!!!There are names from my distant past.I was a chef in the only hotel in Leenaun back in the mid 60's.In keeping with the 'age' theme,I will be 70 on Sat 19th Aug,and fly out to walk from Burgos on Monday 21'st.Age is just a number!
BTW I am also (originally) from Liverpool Philip, @philip a tobin but have moved the other way (for the moment!) to Ireland. I would hazard a guess that the appearance of Leenaun and Maam, and Maam Cross have not changed enormously in the past 50 years. Something of a timeless air to them. And the landscape is still very unspoilt and probably has changed even less. There is an unusual graveyard in Leenaun with only a few inches between the final graves and the sea inlet.

I'm 56 & was worried about being the old guy.
Guess I can put that worry to rest lol

Yup. I did my first one at 59, turning 60 on arrival at Santiago. Then, and since, I have realized that at age 63 (now), I am about in the middle of the age distribution along the Camino. There seem to be as many younger folks as there are older.

If you don't make an issue of your age, or relative lack of same, the seniors won't either...;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BTW I am also (originally) from Liverpool Philip, @philip a tobin but have moved the other way (for the moment!) to Ireland. I would hazard a guess that the appearance of Leenaun and Maam, and Maam Cross have not changed enormously in the past 50 years. Something of a timeless air to them. And the landscape is still very unspoilt and probably has changed even less. There is an unusual graveyard in Leenaun with only a few inches between the final graves and the sea inlet.
I on the other hand are Irish born but lived inU.K for 40+ years,but in Liverpool only 12.Last time I passed through some years ago Leenaun even had a petrol pump(no petrol that day) which it never had in my time.Thank you for rewinding my memories.

It never fails that on the third day of any walk, I feel ten years older. Fortunately that doesn't last too long!
You too? My experience walking as well.
It may have something to do with the natural pace of adjustment.
We have a saying in the community of people who do meditation retreats that the 3rd day is 'maximum suffering day.' After that it gets easier--the mind stops fighting. So I've always thought that the Camino day 3 phenomenon was the same thing.
"How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were"?
Hmmm. Very good question!

Having walked the Camino Frances three times in 2014, 2015 and 2016, this year will be quite different.

My lucky number 7 has influenced this year's Camino. It is 2017 and I will be spending 7 weeks walking more than 700 miles in my 70th year, getting back home shortly before my 70th birthday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We were 69 (me) and 68 (wife) when we started the Camino Francés in 2013. I celebrated my 70th birthday in O'Cebreiro that year. We'll be starting the Camino Portugués from Porto in a couple of weeks at ages 73 and 72, respectively. I typically feel about 80 when I roll out of bed, but once I get going I feel closer to 55 ;).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great thread. I started walking pilgrims routes aged 51 and am about to turn 63, have walked a route most years and I can't bear the idea if ever having to stop. My husband walked the whole Le Puy route aged 81.
We are all spring chickens though compared to the 101 year old Indian woman competing in the Masters games in Auckland this week. She is doing the Javelin and the 100 metre sprint.

And if you didn't have access to a mirror!
I am always shocked at how old I am when I get a glimpse of myself in a mirror or when I accidentally reverse the camera on my phone! Ahhhh! Who is that? :-0 I have no idea how old I think I am. However, the Camino seemed to take years off my age; I literally looked much younger as we approached Santiago and I felt exactly like the person I thought I was.

This is a great thread. I'm in my 40's and have done two short Caminos so far. Hopefully I'll squeeze in a 2-week trek this year, depending on work and family. Being on the Forum and talking to pilgrims every day makes me want to walk more, do more, and see more! That's when I remind myself that I have limits (young kids at home who unfortunately don't show any interest in the Camino just yet. Very ironic.) and it's good to respect those limits and patiently wait for when I can get out on the Camino for longer periods of time. I'd love to walk with Nate as well - so far we've never walked together but it's on our bucket list. (We've also recently awoken to the existence of the West Highland Way and the Great Glen trails in Scotland. Oh my goodness oh my goodness! I want to walk those so badly! But I digress...)

What's wonderful about the Camino is how people of all ages find community and encouragement in walking together and in Forums like this one. What a blessing to learn from so many older and wiser compañeros daily.
Faith

Great thread! Thanks for starting this, Anemone. Well, my mother will turn 82 while we walk our 2nd Camino this year. I'm 50 and she leaves me in her dust. Seriously, I've given up trying to keep up, so she strides on ahead chatting to people she meets and I plod on behind in my happy little introvert bubble (but that's another thread...!) and we meet up when she stops for a rest or to let me catch up!

€83,-
I'm 48 next month. But depending on moment , mood , other people and so many other parameters : I've felt 8 , 20 , 85 years old on the different Caminos I walked.
The innocence of an eight year old, the " everything is possible and the world is your oyster " of a twenty year old or the wisdom and the self acceptance of an open minded 85 year old.

At the moment I'm a 47 year old with a dodgy knee ;).

My most recent camino experience was the opposite, in that my 12 year old daughter asked to come with me. I was very dubious and made her walk 17kms through hills here at home, before agreeing she could come. We walked 200kms of the Portugese camino in 9 days, and had a really pleasant trip. She was determined to keep up with the friends we made on the walk, and insisted on walking 28kms in one day. Watching her interact with people from different countries, learning some Spanish and Portuguese vocabulary, learning about other cultures and other countries was a great experience. We had a great time together and are planning to walk the Primitivo next year. The picture below is one of my favourite from the trip.

Attachments

• 1922.jpg
    1922.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Unfortunate expression: "How old are you?", or "I'm xx years old." In French it's "What age have you?" "I have xx years" - own it. I'm 73, feel younger. Younger than...I don't know. I wonder. It's a number on a calendar. My twin granddaughters are 18 months sparkle, 18 months delight, 18 months rollercoaster. I call one "Cannonball" - she calls her sister "Augie". Augie's real name is Tilda. They make me happy. I'm 73 years happy. What does this pic have to do with Camino you ask? As Satchmo said when asked to define jazz: "If you gotta ask, you'll never know."

IMG_5503.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm 53 years old now.
From Estonia.

198988_800.jpg

9 Caminos- 5500 km approximately.
Now planning Camino Mozarabe from Malaga, 17 july .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunate expression: "How old are you?", or "I'm xx years old." In French it's "What age have you?" "I have xx years" - own it. I'm 73, feel younger. Younger than...I don't know. I wonder. It's a number on a calendar. My twin granddaughters are 18 months sparkle, 18 months delight, 18 months rollercoaster. I call one "Cannonball" - she calls her sister "Augie". Augie's real name is Tilda. They make me happy. I'm 73 years happy. What does this pic have to do with Camino you ask? As Satchmo said when asked to define jazz: "If you gotta ask, you'll never know."

View attachment 33388
Hello Mike,
What is age when you have two lovely granddaughters who will keep you young.
Wish you well,Peter.

I am here on CF now and about a week ago there were many pilgrims sitting around enjoying stories after a long walking day. We all had something; a sore knee, blisters, backache, tendonitis etc... this particular table age ranged from 22 to 60+, and every age group in the middle. One of the younger, 20 something, laughed and said, "we are all the same here, no ages". This is so true, the way of St. James is ageless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. I recently heard that the founder of REI just passed over. She was 103 and gives exercise the reason for her longevity. She and her husband were very active and when they could not find a particular mountain climbing tool and had to send to another country for one it began the beginning of REI.

Hello. I recently heard that the founder of REI just passed over. She was 103 and gives exercise the reason for her longevity. She and her husband were very active and when they could not find a particular mountain climbing tool and had to send to another country for one it began the beginning of REI.
She was an amazing women. I frequented REI often for the time I lived in Seattle. I remember the staff were always so helpful and friendly. I agree with the physical aspect absolutely, but my great aunt Lizzie lived to 107 with absolutely no exercise, ever. Always a tea-tottler, at age 98, she began to put a 'wee drap' of brandy in her tea. She possessed an amazing outlook on life and never lost her phenomenal sense of humour. Once, while I was doing T'ai Chi in her backyard, she looked at me and frowned....then said (in her lovely Scottish brogue) "Accchhh, the neighbours will think yer bloody daft. I dinna kin what yer doin". I loved her to pieces:p

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
:DDid you manage to explain it to her, Maggie?
Oh my No, I could not. It would be like trying to describe what an orange tastes like:p:p. I should have added "..or why yer doin it". What a beautiful soul she was..... just as Mary Anderson, REI's founder was. And if I read correctly, she too was 107 at the time of death.

This is an interesting post and one I personnally find encouraging as my husband and I are going to walk the whole Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port for my 70th birthday which is on 31st August. We start walking on 27th August. We are both reasonably fit and have done a lot of walking over our lives (nothing this big) and I am really excited and so looking forward to it but every so often when I have an ache or pain, I wonder whether I have made the right decision.

€83,-
This is an interesting post and one I personnally find encouraging as my husband and I are going to walk the whole Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port for my 70th birthday which is on 31st August. We start walking on 27th August. We are both reasonably fit and have done a lot of walking over our lives (nothing this big) and I am really excited and so looking forward to it but every so often when I have an ache or pain, I wonder whether I have made the right decision.

Olá Gromit,

you have made the right decision. It´s never too late starting a camino. BTW I am 70, not well trained at the moment, but still on the camino.
I wish you good health, no pain and no blisters.

Bom caminho, Rainer

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I celebrated my 71st BD, my 72nd BD and my 74th BD on the Camino. I'm 75 now and hope to celebrate my 76th Birthday on the Camino. On my first Camino, I suffered the first 5 days with a torn meniscus. It stopped hurting and hasn't hurt since! My advice: listen to your body. I don't mean pay attention to every ache and pain (you will have them). But when your body tells you to take a rest day, do it. It's YOUR Camino, not anyone else's. It is not a contest or race. You have made the right decision! Buen Camino!

As they say, "You don't stop playing because you get old; you get old because you stop playing!"

I "have" 57 years, although I always try to round up to the next year. My birthday in September will bring me another year, but I think I'll sit on the seven for a few more months! If I didn't know how old I am, I think I would claim about 45.

So encouraging to see so many youngsters throwing their numbers around. I think you are all very beautiful people. And healthy? wow.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Olá Gromit,

you have made the right decision. It´s never too late starting a camino. BTW I am 70, not well trained at the moment, but still on the camino.
I wish you good health, no pain and no blisters.

Bom caminho, Rainer
And the same to you too. Best wishes.

[QUOTE="C clearly .... I feel ageless when I am on the Camino.[/QUOTE]

This is a wonderful thread and so true. Thank you Anemone.

I never feel as young and ageless as I do when walking the camino. What is it about this special walk and community we most all become addicted to? I feel it's a combination of a lot of things but for me... 3 biggies.... the exercise and blood flowing to the brain, keeping it sharp while the body slogs on; the energy and spirit of like minded people who become our 'tribe', our camino family; and thirdly, the freedom from clutter and baggage of life.

I did my first camino at about 59 yrs back in 2006, others since then and my last , the VdlP in 2016. Like Bob Chambers, I hope to be an 80 yr old still walking caminos. I'm 70 now and we are planning to spend 6 months in Spain in 2018, walking, hospitaleroing.

Must admit, I often feel my 'age' in the late afternoon, but always a spring chicken in the mornings....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone ever come across John the Englishman at Los Santos de Maimona just over the hill from Zafra? Lovely man with a Spanish wife who retired to Spain. Goes for a morning walk and says hello to pilgrims on his way. Often brings them home for a cuppa and then ends up walking with them for an hour or two just for the conversation. Win-win situation - he gets his English fix and the pilgrim gets a free history of the place. If he asks you how old he is the chances of getting it wrong are high. I'm pretty good at estimating age but this man had me stumped. Definitely under-estimated.

Unfortunate expression: "How old are you?", or "I'm xx years old." In French it's "What age have you?" "I have xx years" - own it.

View attachment 33388
I was listening to a podcast "This week I learned". A couple of things - a bit of research comparing surprised, smiling and neutral expressions. Surprised people look younger; smilers look older due to the smiley wrinkles. Not sure what that says about pilgrims!
Then they mentioned language and how it affects our perceptions. Swedish look at time in terms of distance - their day is an expanse you have to traverse; Spanish speakers think of time in terms of volume, as something that needs to be filled. Your comment about age made me think about it.

I was listening to a podcast "This week I learned". A couple of things - a bit of research comparing surprised, smiling and neutral expressions. Surprised people look younger; smilers look older due to the smiley wrinkles. Not sure what that says about pilgrims!
Then they mentioned language and how it affects our perceptions. Swedish look at time in terms of distance - their day is an expanse you have to traverse; Spanish speakers think of time in terms of volume, as something that needs to be filled. Your comment about age made me think about it.
Hi Donna,

I just subscribed to the podcast you mentioned. I'll have a listen. My son's partner is Swedish so my little granddaughters watch/listen to Pippi Longstocking all the time - that's what we're doing in the photo. My background is French Canadian, so I guess there's a bit of a scramble going on in our mob re time as experienced.

They're off to Sweden soon for 6 weeks with Mamma and Papa to see their Swedish grandparents and cousins. They'll be gone for 6 weeks, so I'll have a lot of time to traverse before they get back.

I've got kind of oily skin so not many wrinkles, I'm told. Isn't the history of a life written in the face? All those muscles famously needed for smiling, you'd think that smiling would be such a great workout you'd never crag and sag. I think more research is needed! Pilgrims on the right, poker faces on the left.

Thanks for getting in touch, - Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.