• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim arrivals statistics 1st semester 2017

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
One every year since 2007
For the first semester of 2017, the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago de Compostela recorded 112.120 arrivals. Compared to the same period in 2016 (101.064) this represents an 11% increase. The trend over the last 5 years has been an average 10 % increase compared to each previous year, except slowing during the period July-September in 2016.
It is very probable that this year the 300.000 mark will be reached.

At the end of June, pilgrims from Spain increased 9% and foreigners 12% compared to 2016

Of the Camino Frances arrivals (62% of all Caminos) 43% had started from Sarria (29.953), beating the quotes from 39% in 2016, 38% in 2015, 34% in 2014, etc. The overall increase of starters from Sarria, as compared to last year, was 17% whereas for the total Camino Frances it was “only” 5%.

Walkers who had started from Saint Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles and Pamplona actually reduced by 3% compared to the same semester in 2016.

As far as other Caminos are concerned, these have gained popularity with one exception:

Portugues (25.096): +30% compared to 2016 (+25% for 2016/15, +15% for 2015/14)

Norte (5.197): +11%; Primitivo (4.606) +20%; Ingles (3.752) + 13%; VdlP (3.731) -3%

The composition of pilgrims’ age groups did not substantially change over the past years: ages <30: 23%; ages 30-60: 55%; ages >60: 22%

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the first semester of 2017, the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago de Compostela recorded 112.120 arrivals. Compared to the same period in 2016 (101.064) this represents an 11% increase. The trend over the last 5 years has been an average 10 % increase compared to each previous year, except slowing during the period July-September in 2016.
It is very probable that this year the 300.000 mark will be reached.

At the end of June, pilgrims from Spain increased 9% and foreigners 12% compared to 2016

Of the Camino Frances arrivals (62% of all Caminos) 43% had started from Sarria (29.953), beating the quotes from 39% in 2016, 38% in 2015, 34% in 2014, etc. The overall increase of starters from Sarria, as compared to last year, was 17% whereas for the total Camino Frances it was “only” 5%.

Walkers who had started from Saint Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles and Pamplona actually reduced by 3% compared to the same semester in 2016.

As far as other Caminos are concerned, these have gained popularity with one exception:

Portugues (25.096): +30% compared to 2016 (+25% for 2016/15, +15% for 2015/14)

Norte (5.197): +11%; Primitivo (4.606) +20%; Ingles (3.752) + 13%; VdlP (3.731) -3%

The composition of pilgrims’ age groups did not substantially change over the past years: ages <30: 23%; ages 30-60: 55%; ages >60: 22%
What about Le Puy route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Poor Fraluchi,

He normally hets much more feed back on his monthly stats post, but someone beat him to it this month. :(

May your hospitalero stint be filled with wonder and awe. I know mine were.
And, a buen camino to you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sure that's just one large group of college kids not random pilgrims ;)
That maybe but can you just imagine getting mixed in with them. No piece at night no piece on route. Then you add many other groups. The Camino Francés is seemly turning into Disneyland :(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That maybe but can you just imagine getting mixed in with them. No piece at night no piece on route. Then you add many other groups. The Camino Francés is seemly turning into Disneyland :(
Makes me think will there be "out of season" season on CF at all in coming years? :rolleyes:
But luckily there are plenty other routes we can walk. Although for me it was nice to spend few days on CF (such as connection between Madrid and Invierno) and see all this groups, camaraderie, enthusiasm of first timers etc.

If you appreciate peace, you just don't travel in high season, during public holidays and school vacations. Any sensationalist newspaper journalist can show horrible pictures at such times.
Read the experiences of this Forum's seasoned members and follow their advice. Do this well before you decide upon any Camino pilgrimage.

Curious, is there breakdown of method by nationality on the Caminho Portugues? Curious of the claim by Portuguese that they mainly do it by bike.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.