• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Blessing

MoniRose

Time of past OR future Camino
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
On the Camino, there were several masses I attended where, at the end, the pilgrims were given a blessing. I am wondering if this is a specific blessing or one that each priest just says himself. If it is specific, can anyone write me an English translation? Thank you so much! - Monica :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would like to know in which places these special masses are (except for Santiago, of course). And which one in your opinion was special.

Luka said:
I would like to know in which places these special masses are (except for Santiago, of course). And which one in your opinion was special.

Luka,

One of the most famous Pilgrims' mass and blessing on the Camino Frances is held by the monks every evening throughout the year in the Collegiate Church of the Abbey of Roncevalles. Generally there are hoards of pilgrims as well as tourists at this service. However when I arrived after walking up from Valcarlos through deep snow in late January 2009 the monk who stamped my Credential personally invited me to the evening service. It was lovely. I was the only pilgrim. As always the service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (now well heated for winter) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Los Arcos. Pilgrims are invited down to the front after the Mass to receive a prayer card with the 'Pilgrim's Prayer' in one of several languages. Unfortunately when I was there this year there had apparently been a funeral elsewhere so the priest was unavailable and the normal service was cancelled. :(

Buen Camino!

A few more additions to the list ... Samos, Granon, Arzua. The priest in Arzua likewise at the end of the Mass invited the pilgrims to gather up front for a special blessing. After the Mass in Granon the priest came over to join everyone at the albergue for dinner.

This is a great forum topic. These blessings along the Camino can be very meaningful, regardless of one's personal religious beliefs.

markss said:
A few more additions to the list ... Samos, Granon, Arzua. The priest in Arzua likewise at the end of the Mass invited the pilgrims to gather up front for a special blessing. After the Mass in Granon the priest came over to join everyone at the albergue for dinner.

This is a great forum topic. These blessings along the Camino can be very meaningful, regardless of one's personal religious beliefs.
Totally agree. You don't have to be a regular church attender or even a Christian to appreciate these services and the good spirit that they bring among us pilgs. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In addition to the ones mentioned above a VERY special pilgrim blessing in Triacastela. And at the cathedral of Pamplona also.

Luka said:

The blessings that are most special are probably the ones that come when you need them most. For me, that was in Logrono, Carrion de los Condes and Samos.

Nice answer!

Thanks everyone for your replies. The reason I was asking (apart from curiosity): next year I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago. My mom would like to meet me on the way and she would love to experience a pilgrims mass as well. Of course that is possible in Santiago, but I was wondering if there were more good options for her along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is the blessing I heard many times. The first time in Le Puy, then Conques, then other places:
All-powerful God,
you always show mercy toward those who you love
and you are never far away for those who seek you.
Be with your servants on this pilgrimage
and guide their way in accord with your will.
Be a companion for them along their journey,
a guide at crossroads,
strength in their weariness,
defence before dangers,
shelter on the way,
shade against the heat,
light in the darkness,
a comforter in their discouragements,
and firmness in their intentions,
in order that, through your guidance,
they might arrive unscathed at the end of their journey and,
enriched with graces and virtues,
they might return safely home;
through Jesus Christ Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God,
for ever and ever.

Blessings to all pilgrims, past, present, and future :)

At Rabanal. Vespers around 6 or 7 and pilgrim blessing at 9 or 9:30. Very nice, small as not a tourist location. You can find exact times in town just by asking.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
On Oct. 5, 2009, I attended the mass in O'Cebreiro, which I still remember to this day. The church is beautiful in its own right and several of us had visited it in the afternoon and went back for evning mass. I think that there were only pilgrims there at the time. The priest called the pilgrims up to the altar after the service and had cards in various languages to read a prayer. He asked pilgrims to read in their own languages and it was so wonderful, a very moving experience for myself and the other pilgrims I spoke to after the service.

I happened to be at the parish alburgue in Ponferrada when they celebrated an anniversary (10th?) of the albergue. Tons of locals came to the church, it was full of pilgrims as well. Pilgrims were given a card marking the event. They brought food and wine and a good time was had by all. I really lucked out that night as I was in a 2 double bunk room as well. I do believe that there was even leftovers for breakfast the next morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have read with interest the posts Re:pilgrim Blessing
and can appreciate that formalities and rituals of Blessings
can enhance the fabric of the Camino experience.

However for those who cannot share those experiences directly, a small thought of solace. The ready smiles, passing waves and ‘buen camino’s of passers-by are our delightful daily harvest of Camino Blessings and enjoyed by all peregrinos.
soch

The Pilgrim Blessing I was referring to in my original post is the actual prayer that is said at the end of a Pilgrim Mass. I was wondering if it was a specific prayer or just a prayer that the priest said "as the Spirit moved him", so to speak. It sounds like it might be both. Thank you, Grilly, for the translation.

This prayer is not to be confused with the actual blessings, or acts of service, that one receives daily on the Camino. Each day there were blessings poured out from the locals as well as other pilgrims. I will never forget the blessing by a pilgrim from Ireland who tended to me when I fell, or the American couple who taxied with me to Astorga when I got sick and helped me navigate my way thru Centro Medico. Acts of overwhelming kindness. Pilgrim blessings. -m :arrow:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.