• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Conference Villafranca del Bierzo 22 - 24th July

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
I don't know what all the fuss and controversy has been about (on Spanish forums I have been told: they can be vicious! Not like the nice folks over here) but in my opinion this is going to be fun.
The numbers registered so far are less than was hoped. Registration ends tomorrow (for meals, accommodation etc) A lot of work has gone into organising this and there will be some really interesting workshops; notorious hospitaleros like Tomas de Manjarin and Jesus Jato de Ave Fenix -- very knowledgeable people who are almost legends of the Camino. Also famous and infamous authors presenting their books (um ...hint, hint); a look at The Camino Documentary; some good food and wine to be had and it isn't really all that expensive when you consider the variety of talleres and meals included : far less than what these things usually cost. (I have no financial or other interest in this; I just hate to see so much work go to waste.)
Do check out the link.
http://www.encuentromundialdeperegrinos.com/

Hope to see some of you there.
http://www.pìlgrimagetoheresy.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would loved to have gone but (a) don't speak Spanish and (b) more importantly moeny is not only personally tight but that is true across so much of Europe.

A great idea but at the wrong time?

Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks MP98. I don't think the language thing will be so much of a problem. I would imagine that Lydia will be presenting in English and mine will be a mixture too. It's more the idea of mixing with pilgrims. The plan is to do something like this in a different Camino location every year from 2010 til 2021, i.e. between Holy Years. I agree that money is tight all around for us all. The controversy (and apparent boycott can you believe? I thought we were supposed to have learned something from our pilgrimages) appears to be that the organiser is not a pilgrim.
Come on guys! Madame Debril never walked out of St. Jean Pied de Port, but she offered a pilgrim service which was legendary, and I have met others who did the same and never walked the Camino.
Anyway, it should be fun. Anywhere I am is always fun....!
TS

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I guess then that I mustn't stay at any albergue where the hospitelario has not been a pilgrim?

Some of the most gracious hospitality I have received has been from locals who care for the refugio probably as a kind of vicarious pilgrimage. I know I owe them a debt of gratitude.

I like the idea of a Holy Year to Holy Year conference. I walked some part of the Camino every year between 2004 and 2010 for the very same reason.

I touches a cord in me. But still can't be there. :cry:

If at all possible, I'll light a candle in the (very special to me) Church of Santiago for you all.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.