• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Credencials in A Coruna

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Hi,

Walking Camino Ingles starting in A Coruna on 30th April, 2008 and then on from Santiago to Finisterre.

Anyone know whether there is anywhere in A Coruna to obtain Credencials? I know that Coruna isn't far enough to obtain a Compostela but understand that Credencials will be required to allow us to stay in Albergues and of course as a record of our journey.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Miguel

Funnily enough I will be in and around A Coruna at exactly the same time - and I'm planning to walk out to Finisterre....we may very well bump into each other.

The CSJ Guide to the Camino Ingles states that Credenciales are available from the Sacristy of the Church of Santiago in A Coruna. That guide is a little out of date and it may well be that they are available from the Tourist Office - one of the things I hope to find out.

I walked this route from Ferrol last year and I simply added some pages to another credencial - got the sellos and the Pilgrim's Office were happy to issue a compostela. So making your own is an option.

As you know there aren't many albergues - the first on this leg being Hospital de Bruma. It is excellent with a very helpful hospitalera - but take food as there is no bar or restaurant unless you are happy to walk to the nearest which is few K's away on the main road.

Hasta A Coruna!

Buen Camino

John

Hola John,
I'm not sure that making one's own credential and being accepted into the albergues or being granted the Compostela is still an option. There has been much discussion about the changes in the issuing of credentials and Ivar reported on the new 'rules' which will allow for foreign credentials printed by overseas St James Confraternities or organisations but, perhaps not a 'homemade' credential. Better to get one in your own country or get the official Spanish credential once you reach Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sil

You are quite right to counsel caution on this. I have my CSJ Pilgrim Record which will be fine. Miguel was asking for advice with only a week to goto his departure.

Although the A Coruna arm of the Camino Ingles isn't long enough to earn a Compostela and there is only one albergue ( with a nearby hostal option ) on the way down in to Santiago - Miguel will still need a credencial to use the albergues en route to Finisterre. Presumably he can get one in Santiago if all else fails? In fact that may be his arrival point before setting out for A Coruna.

John

I've just received my CSJ Guide and see the reference to the church of Santiago. I've also emailed the Tourist Office in Coruna to see if they issue credenciales (our time in Coruna is limited and the church may not be open). No reply as yet but will ring them in a couple of days if still no reply - I'll post to here as and when I find out. As a last resort I guess we'll be able to obtain one at the Albergue in Bruma, although it would be nice to obtain sellos, if possible, before then.

We (group of 5) arrive in Coruna on 29th April and begin walking on the 30th so maybe see you on the route John somewhere between Coruna and "Land's End".

Thank you both for your advice.
Ultreya

Update having now spoken to A Coruna tourist office.

Pilgrim Credentials are available only from the Church of Santiago before mass, which is daily at 12:00 and 20:00 (10:30, 11:30 and 12:30 Sundays and Public Holidays). The Church is open 10:00 - 13:00 and 18:30 - 22:00 daily.

There is also a Pilgrim Advice session on Thursday's between 19:00 and 21:00.

This basically confirms the advice on Pilgrim Records/Credentials given in the CSJ Guide to this route.

Thanks again for the responses.
Mig.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back