A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Pilgrim dead at burguete

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
(2019: Planning to return!)
This is very sad news. The article says it occurred in French territory, so maybe on the way to Roncesvalles, with the wonderful Burguete bomberos and others called in.
Very very sad. RIP.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
A little more information has been released about this incident. The man who died was an American aged 71 and had a prior history of heart disease. A heart attack has been confirmed as the cause of death. The death occurred on the Route Napoleon within the French section of the route but only 200m or so from the border and Spanish firefighters were the first to respond and attempt to revive the man.

http://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/20...un-infarto-cuando-hacia-el-camino-de-santiago

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Very sad, indeed. It does highlight three points, frequently made here...

1. GET a physical examination BEFORE you depart. The Camino, while not an endurance test or survival challenge, is neither a walk in the park. Follow your doctor's recommendations to proceed, or perhaps to NOT proceed.

2. If you know you have a heart issue, or any other physical condition that might be worsened by extreme exertion...
  • take your time, listen to your body, only do what you are comfortable doing.
  • have a walking companion who can help you, and summon aid in an emergency
3. When we say that the first day, out of Saint Jean Pied de Port is the most challenging climb of the entire Camino Frances WE MEAN IT. This is not a major issue for most pilgrims. However, for someone with a known heart issue, it can be a far more serious issue.

There is no shame or sin in taking a taxi or shuttle to the top of that first very daunting climb at the stone cross, where the route turns sharp right towards the Spanish border. Many folks do this. When presented with such a challenge, especially on the first day, one should assess, evaluate, adapt and overcome.

I am very sorry for this pilgrim, his family and friends. I hope his partner carries on in his name and makes it to Santiago on his behalf... In Vicare Pro.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Walked in "2016"
This is not the first such death and it won't be the last.
Very sad.
RIP peregrino.
(And if there is any good that comes of this, it's a wee warning - if you jave heart trouble, consider starting in Pamplona.)
But there is also grueling part once you get to the Galician border.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017

1. GET a physical examination BEFORE you depart...

2. If you know you have a heart issue, or any other physical condition that might be worsened by extreme exertion...
3. When we say that the first day, out of Saint Jean Pied de Port is the most challenging climb of the entire Camino Frances WE MEAN IT...
Excellent advice, Tom. There is nothing in the rule book--which doesn't exist, by the way--that says one must start in SJPdP or must conquer the Pyrenees on the first day. Many people walk other routes which are, in fact, longer than the Francés but don't start with that climb...are they lesser pilgrims? Of course not! So what's the shame in starting in Pamplona or Roncesvalles? What do you miss besides a bit of scenery, and you'll see plenty of that along the rest of the way.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Excellent advice, Tom. There is nothing in the rule book--which doesn't exist, by the way--that says one must start in SJPdP or must conquer the Pyrenees on the first day. Many people walk other routes which are, in fact, longer than the Francés but don't start with that climb...are they lesser pilgrims? Of course not! So what's the shame in starting in Pamplona or Roncesvalles? What do you miss besides a bit of scenery, and you'll see plenty of that along the rest of the way.
First, RIP pilgrim.

I will start in Pamplona in a few days (next week sometime, haven't ordered flights yet). No need for the hysteria of SJpdP, and Pamplona is such a nice place to start from: Easy walking for many days in Navarra at the beginning.

Edit: I should also say that quite a few, starting from SJpdP and going to Roncesvalles in ONE day, are seriously damaging their feet on this first day, which is also, by far, the hardest day on the whole CF. Can be a real showstopper for some. At least, stop in Orrison for the night.

Last edited:

MeandIan

Camino(s) past & future
May2018
When Ian had a chest pain and subsequent angiogram in April just before our departure, we naturally had to change our plans. So many people expressed their sympathies at our delay. We were seriously quite honest when we said that we were grateful for his early diagnosis and treatment. We became more mindful of our health and bodies. And I can honestly say that we were not as ready in May as we are now. In fact, the steps today at the colosseum in Rome were quite doable. We start our Camino on 14 September with a better understanding.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
When Ian had a chest pain and subsequent angiogram in April just before our departure, we naturally had to change our plans. So many people expressed their sympathies at our delay. We were seriously quite honest when we said that we were grateful for his early diagnosis and treatment. We became more mindful of our health and bodies. And I can honestly say that we were not as ready in May as we are now. In fact, the steps today at the colosseum in Rome were quite doable. We start our Camino on 14 September with a better understanding.
Buen camino to you both.

May Santiago guide you to him in excellent health.

omi1

Camino(s) past & future
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
How sad. My thoughts are with his family.

For my upcoming walk, i am starting in St Jean, as i got a handy flight to Biarritz, but i am taking transport past orrison, then walking to Roncesvalles and counting the next day as my "true" first day. I have neck problems and may or may not carry my pack, and people can think what they like. I feel like people put too much pressure themselves to stick to some prescribed and/or idealised version of the Camino.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)

For my upcoming walk, i am starting in St Jean, as i got a handy flight to Biarritz, but i am taking transport past orrison, then walking to Roncesvalles and counting the next day as my "true" first day. I have neck problems and may or may not carry my pack, and people can think what they like. I feel like people put too much pressure themselves to stick to some prescribed and/or idealised version of the Camino.
Glad you are walking your own Camino! Have a wonderful time!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)

RIP!

I am reminded how some freely give the advice...to just go and walk....because it is much more civilized than some rural areas. Walking over, even low mountain areas can be quite a strain on the body. Make sure you are in decent physical condition before you entertain such a walk. If you have limitations, discuss those issues with your physician. Even if you have a plan, be open to making changes if the weather is too hot, or cold, or wet, etc. If you are not feeling terrific on a particular day, think about makng your load lighter the next.. You can get a bag carry service till abt 8pm the night before for the next day. Stop on your way and rest. Assess periodically how you are feeling. Take a picture on your cell phone of the cab companies as you pass the bar/albergues (courtesy of Anniesantiago). If you have not reached your destination and are getting too fatigued or are in pain, stop and call for a cab! Put the no. 112 in your phone so you can speed dial if you are in an emergency situation. IMO one should think hard before going alone over a mountainous or isolated area without a cell phone. You never know!

Last edited:

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
We don't know much about the personal circumstances of our late companero nor why he chose to walk the Napoleon rather than Valcarlos or to have chosen another starting point. Maybe it was informed desire, maybe it was buy-in to the package that so many guidebooks, blogs and Hollywood movies sell. Maybe what happened to him was just his little corner of the universe unfolding as it should.
Let's just offer up a prayer for his spark, spill some wine for his blood and remember another pilgrim on the road. Could have; should have; would have: is just trying to find comfort for ourselves. Another pilgrim is on the road that we can only ever imagine. Wish him Buen Camino and be done.

Camino(s) past & future
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
Such sad news, RIP pilgrim. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and all pilgrims out there.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
We don't know much about the personal circumstances of our late companero nor why he chose to walk the Napoleon rather than Valcarlos or to have chosen another starting point. Maybe it was informed desire, maybe it was buy-in to the package that so many guidebooks, blogs and Hollywood movies sell. Maybe what happened to him was just his little corner of the universe unfolding as it should.
Let's just offer up a prayer for his spark, spill some wine for his blood and remember another pilgrim on the road. Could have; should have; would have: is just trying to find comfort for ourselves. Another pilgrim is on the road that we can only ever imagine. Wish him Buen Camino and be done.
Very wise. I am spilling.

Edit: I wish I would go that final way.

Last edited:

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
Very well said.

He died in a beautiful place in freedom of choice.

RIP Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
I fully agree with your response here Tincatinka....let us just wish our fellow pilgrim Godspeed and offer up a prayer for his Soul...

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Very wise. I am spilling.

Edit: I wish I would go that final way.
Nah, Alex, you are a VIKING. There HAS to be a boat and fire...lots of fire...LOL

So, who is rushing to their demise anyway? I try to remain ready whenever the big Boss calls me home. But I do try not to get impatient...

It's sort of like the Kenny Chesney (US country singer) writes... "everybody wants to go to Heaven...but nobody wants to go now..."

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Wise words. He goes beyond.

Rest In Peace. Nobody makes you walk Napoleon route. It’s called free will. 4 years ago I walked with a pilgrim for some of way. Not in good condition and he told me he was walking against medical advice. 5 minutes later he was dead despite of pilgrim doctor on spot. You can see his name on small cross in ditch just before Hutto. Live and let live

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
It's great to see you did not give up on your plans. Go, walk and enjoy !

Lynn McCoy

Camino(s) past & future
St. Jean Pied de Port to Logroño in 2015.
Logroño to Castrojeriz in 2016.
Complete to Santiago in 2017 & 2018
R.I.P. peregrino. Saying prayers for your family.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Lourdes v SJPDP - Santiago (June/July 2010) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (July/August 2015) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (June/July/August 2017)
Very sad.
RIP peregrino.
(And if there is any good that comes of this, it's a wee warning - if you jave heart trouble, consider starting in Pamplona.)
Hi Peregrinos very sad to hear of the death of pilgrim, I also have a heart condition but it will not stop me going back next year for my third Camino as a young 73, my first was in 2010 age 65 seven years after a double by pass opp but then again i am very single minded and obstinate, but I won't over do it and will take it easy and slow when my body tells me to,if my time is up I will go out my way for me personally I would sooner go out with a bang than just fade away.

Last edited:

Nonnieto9

Camino(s) past & future
Very sad.
RIP peregrino.
My friend and I knew we could not handle the Napoleon Way from SJPdP...but we took the alternate route (Valcaros Route) out of StJean...through Argeny, Valcaros and into Roncesvalles...TWO overnights instead of 0. The trail was difficult, but the 1st day was 5 miles, the 2nd day was 3 and to Roncesvalles on the 3rd say was 10. The climb through the forests was beautiful and we have NO regrets taking it slowly...

Camino(s) past & future
CF - April/May 2017
CP Central - Sep./2017
CP Coastal - Sep./2018
We don't know much about the personal circumstances of our late companero ... Maybe it was informed desire, ...
Well said. RIP. He went out with his boots on. I am on the CP now in Esposende and will order another glass of Vinho Verde to toast this pilgrim brother. I hope to return to the CF when I am 71, I will walk the Napolean route and won't care if I finish or am finished. The journey is the gift.

Gaddong

Camino(s) past & future
(2018) First time will start in April
Buen Camino fellow Perigrino/a's... my humble advice... the Jamon, Huevos fritos, y pan taste the same anywhere else and you really do not have to eat them on your walk... Verduras y frutas will get you to Santiago in better shape than Jamon Iberico will. But having their lamb stew (estofado de cordero)... was one of the best I have had in a while, lots of ajo (garlic). I started in SJPDP in April 19 and was in SDC May 27... feeling very Grateful... and Strong. I saw my MD last month and they show me an aortic aneurysm... I took up swimming and bought my first mountain bike and having fun... I know I will die sometime... in God's time... In the meantime I will enjoy the few more seconds I am given in this world. Planning to do it again on 9/19/2019 with God's blessings... I will be 68... Buen Camino, Vaya con Dios.

Last edited:

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
Sad news and condolences to his family. There are certainly much worse places to leave earth than during a Camino.
I think in some cases a lot that has been written about the Camino makes it sound like a casual stroll through France and Spain. The reality is that it will be the most physically demanding thing that most of us will ever experience.
So while I am always 'selling' the Camino to those that havn't gone on one, I am also very truthful explaining the reality of the challenges of one as well.
The reality of all the trail side memorials is that many walkers should have taken a coach tour of France and Spain instead.
Being honest about ones health is nothing to ashamed of and can save many families some grief.

Last edited:

sojourners

Camino(s) past & future

1. GET a physical examination BEFORE you depart. The Camino, while not an endurance test or survival challenge, is neither a walk in the park. Follow your doctor's recommendations to proceed, or perhaps to NOT proceed.

3. When we say that the first day, out of Saint Jean Pied de Port is the most challenging climb of the entire Camino Frances WE MEAN IT. This is not a major issue for most pilgrims. However, for someone with a known heart issue, it can be a far more serious issue.

There is no shame or sin in taking a taxi or shuttle to the top of that first very daunting climb at the stone cross, where the route turns sharp right towards the Spanish border. Many folks do this. When presented with such a challenge, especially on the first day, one should assess, evaluate, adapt and overcome.

I am very sorry for this pilgrim, his family and friends. I hope his partner carries on in his name and makes it to Santiago on his behalf... In Vicare Pro.
Excellent advice. I saw more injuries on this section than in the entire rest of the Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Possibly Camino de Santiago or Camino Frances (Sept. 18)
So sorry to learn of this but doing what one loves may be of some consolation. My daughter and I were traveling that same leg of the Camino. It was challenging enough that we are sidelined with a knee injury in Pamplona— only to return again.

Mick McQueen

https://www.facebook.com/groups/
Camino(s) past & future
I am escorting the Roll of Honour (Afghanistan) on Camino France on 20 May from SJPDP
The Roll of Honour details the 41 young Australians who died on Active Service in Afghanistan. In the centenary of the ANZAC’s, the Roll of Honour will be escorted to 41 prominent places and events around the World, laying 41 Poppies at each location.
Doing what he loved RIP pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, SJPDP-Santiago (May 2016) Via de la Plata, Sevilla-Santiago (Sept 2016), CM/CF 2018
Very sad to hear, and my condolences go out to his family and friends. On a positive note, I hope they celebrate that he at least passed away doing something he must have loved. I have told my wife, family, and friends, that if I were to pass away while trekking that they should remember it was while doing something that I love, and is my passion. I would rather pass while trekking rather than in a conveselence or retirement home, or worse, in a car accident or something similar.

I remember always thinking how unreasonable I thought people were when I heard they had died climbing Mount Everest, or some other extreme adventure. I couldn’t understand why someone would put their lives in jeopardy to achieve a goal that seemed so unreasonable to me. Well, I have changed my way of thinking about that because now I have a little more of an understanding why they did it, and how they must have felt about trying to achieving their goal.

My treks of course are in no way a comparison to climbing Everest, but after some of my long, and sometimes difficult treks, I have had people ask me with negativity why I do my treks? And my first answer is always, “because I can.” I am sure many of you have had people think you are crazy for trekking the Camino. But, if you really have to explain it to someone they may never know what it is like or how it feels to achieve a Camino.

I am not a young man, and it wasn’t until I was older that trekking brought a lot more joy to my life, especially trekking the Camino. For me the love of trekking the Camino always brings me back, and hopefully I will trek many more of them. But for me, as sad as it might be for my family and friends, if I pass on the Camino, I hope they will celebrate that I passed while I was doing something I love.

R.I.P. our fellow pilgrim.

Last edited:
You have taken a fork in the Path that many are not prepared for, yet.
For those left behind, condolences and prayers. Do not feel sad as this friend, Family Member, has left doing something they needed to be doing.
Though this may have been unexpected, time is one thing that we cannot control, forever at its mercy.
For me, this is a very honourable thing, and place, for it to occur.
I bow deeply to your Soul and Heart, Fellow Peregrino.

Sarah Fisher

Master Traveler, Novice Walker
Camino(s) past & future
September 2018 - Camino Frances

I have ankle troubles and just generally was not feeling fit enough. I started in St. Jean two days ago. You can sign up in St. Jean for both a shuttle to the cross or to the Virgin of Orrison (where I went) and they can also transport your luggage. I did both and was so grateful I did. I took the same amount of time getting to Roncesvalles as many people did all the way from St. Jean. I found it challenging but also much more pleasant to NOT rush through and enjoy the scenery or lack thereof (heavy fog).

Today, I only walked 6 miles to rest my feet. And am splitting the walk to Pamplona over the next two days while many are doing it in one. Also, the Camino is VERY busy right now. So book your spot in St. Jean now! I did not and have learned, in two days, that the camino provides for slower walkers with technology and the ability to prebook online, not with a magical place to stay! Tomorrow, I'm finally confident setting out as I have a reservation and can take as long as I need rather than rushing to beat everyone to the Municipal albergue.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
I have ankle troubles and just generally was not feeling fit enough. I started in St. Jean two days ago. You can sign up in St. Jean for both a shuttle to the cross or to the Virgin of Orrison (where I went) and they can also transport your luggage. I did both and was so grateful I did. I took the same amount of time getting to Roncesvalles as many people did all the way from St. Jean. I found it challenging but also much more pleasant to NOT rush through and enjoy the scenery or lack thereof (heavy fog).

Today, I only walked 6 miles to rest my feet. And am splitting the walk to Pamplona over the next two days while many are doing it in one. Also, the Camino is VERY busy right now. So book your spot in St. Jean now! I did not and have learned, in two days, that the camino provides for slower walkers with technology and the ability to prebook online, not with a magical place to stay! Tomorrow, I'm finally confident setting out as I have a reservation and can take as long as I need rather than rushing to beat everyone to the Municipal albergue.
I was LOL when I read your comment that for the slow walkers the Camino provides with the ability to pre-book courtesy of technology! You are soo right on the CF in high season...and are a very fast learner. Glad that you know your own limits. Going up by shuttle to the Virgin of Orisson got you up over a thousand meters, but you still had a 400meter climb up from 1000 meters up and then a 600 meter climb down so it was a good work out. Do not be concerned at all about what others are doing. Take it easy at the beginning and you will get there. Remember to take good care of your feet at the beginning. Let us know how things are going!

Fromista

Camino(s) past & future
I walked once
Fully agree! Buen Camino
First, RIP pilgrim.

I will start in Pamplona in a few days (next week sometime, haven't ordered flights yet). No need for the hysteria of SJpdP, and Pamplona is such a nice place to start from: Easy walking for many days in Navarra at the beginning.

Edit: I should also say that quite a few, starting from SJpdP and going to Roncesvalles in ONE day, are seriously damaging their feet on this first day, which is also, by far, the hardest day on the whole CF. Can be a real showstopper for some. At least, stop in Orrison for the night.
Fully agree with you! No need of hysteria and panic we know nothing about the man and his medical history. Keep on going. Buen Camino!

inmari

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Pamplona (2013)
El Camino de San Olav, Burgos - Covarrubias (2014)
Pamplona - SdC (2015)
During my two walks on Chemin de St. Jacques and Camino Frances (2013 Le Puy - Pamplona, 2015 Pamplona - SdC) I saw a number of memorials of passed away pilgrims. I have to agree that St. Jean as a starting point may be a bit too difficult for some pilgrims, at least if the first day is supposed to end in Roncesvalles. I had read about the Napoleon, so I decided to pass the Pyrennees at the end of my first walk, when I hopefully had "gained some muscles". I do not regret. Now I'm thinking of doing the whole walk in one summer after I retire in a few years, being a pilgrim is kind of a virus "that you die with, rarely from".

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Lourdes v SJPDP - Santiago (June/July 2010) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (July/August 2015) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (June/July/August 2017)
Well said. RIP. He went out with his boots on. I am on the CP now in Esposende and will order another glass of Vinho Verde to toast this pilgrim brother. I hope to return to the CF when I am 71, I will walk the Napolean route and won't care if I finish or am finished. The journey is the gift.
As I have said above even with a
I will go back next year and won't think about what will or will not happen and I will go over the Napolean route what ever

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%