Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Pilgrim dies of heart attack

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Cam1952

www.camcamino.com
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct (2013)
Frances Sept-Oct (2017)
Portuguese June (2019)
Madrid (2021)
Very sad news. My thoughts to the family.......

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Waka

Veteran Member
Some but not all, and other routes too.
My thoughts and prayers go with the family.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

mamodavis

Going to walk the Camino in September 2015 for the first time.
May He R.I.P. My thoughts are with his poor family So many people dyeing so young.

cher99840

Veteran Member
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
Very sad. Second this year I think. Wasn't a 66 year old found in the Pyrenees earlier this year?

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
So sorry to hear this sad story and so young may he rest in peace and his parents and brother receive strength to cope with their loss.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Sad news
As a tear falls
I wonder
He passed doing what in his heart,felt good and right.
Surely the gates of Heaven open to such as these...
Santiagos hand on his shoulder as smiling,leads him home
My sincere condolences to his familia

C

Castilian

Second this year I think. Wasn't a 66 year old found in the Pyrenees earlier this year?

Yes, another pilgrim (I don't recall his age) died on the Pyrenees. There are at least two more deaths this year. In early June another pilgrim died after being hitted by a car in O Pino. In May, a German pilgrim died when was swimming in Fisterra...

fernandezr

Sad news
As a tear falls
I wonder
He passed doing what in his heart,felt good and right.
Surely the gates of Heaven open to such as these...
Santiagos hand on his shoulder as smiling,leads him home
My sincere condolences to his familia

William:
Beautifully stated and warming sentiments that give comfort to those who grieve.
Thanks for this.
Bob

november_moon

Veteran Member
I've been thinking about this pilgrim who died of a heart attack since I first learned about it. You usually don't hear of people that young suffering heart attacks. It makes me wonder if he had a weakness in his heart that he just didn't know about and the stress from this climb was just too much for him.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Stephen

Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Sad news and more so when we hear the death is that of a young person.
RIP.

N

nathanael

May He R.I.P. My thoughts are with his poor family So many people dyeing so young.
In 20010 when I was doing Camino del Norte a man from Barcelona was found dead in the Hostal in Aviles unable to wake him and was discovered he had died of a heart attack in his mid-late sixties...it happens my friends..if I die on the Camino I have requested to be buried here rather tha return to Canada. Rip on this man who recently and on his family so young

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Angelo

Frances (2014)
Portugues (2015)
Madrid (2017)
Inglés (2017)
Invierno (Apr. 2019)
The ascent to La Faba from Las Herrerias is steep and on a hot day would be very challenging. Perhaps he had a pre-existing cardiac condition. Maybe he didn't know he had one. Sad news. May he rest in Peace.

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
A

Anemone del Camino

For a few years I've kept a blog post going on pilgrim memorials.

http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2012/08/memorials-pilgrims-who-died-on-camino.html
Sillydoll, here is another one for your list: a friend of my late father's, François Lefebvre. 2010.

François was an ingeneer at the "local" nuclear plant. While he worked full time and raised his family he also kept the family farm alive with his wife, his brother and her sister (the boys married the girls). Upon retiring, or when he was about to, he won the lotery. It was not an obscence amount of money, but enough to guarantee his retirement living well, and leaving something to his daughters. With that money he and his wife travelled once or twice a year. One of those trips, one of the first ones, was the Camino.

Only a few days after leaving SJPP he woke up feeling tired. His wife suggested they take a day off and rest. He said no, let's just walk. And they did, until he collapsed, litterally on the Camino. I wish I could remember exactly where, but perhaps around Estella, or Puente la Reina.

Carpe diem...

Last edited by a moderator:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances