• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Etiquette - How about picking up some trash every walking day

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The subject of litter has come up a couple of times recently. I'll air my thoughts here as they're fresh in my mind after returning from Reb's Camino clearup last night. That was an incredibly encouraging experience, as after 3 years of taking part we have seen the amount of litter we collect reduce each year despite the pilgrim numbers continuing to rise. The relatively clean environment we've helped to create and no doubt increased awareness and effort from other pilgrims appear to be paying dividends already.

There have been suggestions about more coordinated approaches across the whole Camino to complement local efforts such as the one I join in Palencia. This would be great, but very difficult to organise given the lack of coordination at any level across the Camino (local govt, albergues etc). Even if successful it could end up as a one-off purge that would be difficult to sustain in the longer term. An annual 'Litter free Camino Week' or similar could work if albergues were all sent posters to raise awareness and plastic bags to give out to willing pilgs, but this would require some funding and coordination from somewhere. A pilot scheme in one area would be interesting (if anyone has any spare cash and someone would organise it) to see what the take-up rate in albergues was, identify any unforeseen hitches, and most importantly see how much trash was left afterwards.

My favoured approach is a bit more low-key and really is about continuing to increase awareness among people about how to incorporate a bit of clearing into their Camino. That would just be through forums such as this one and its other language equivalents, possibly a leaflet at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP etc. The original post here suggests we should aim to clear every day, but it needn't even be that. On my last CF I collected litter for about 5-6kms on about 7 days. As the areas I cleared were only moderately littered I was able to leave most of them totally clear (i.e. I didn't have to exclude larger items such as plastic bottles or be otherwise selective about what I collected). So that's about 40kms, or 5% of the total route cleared just by me picking up stuff for an hour or two every few days. So, with 19 more people like me (or one in every 10,000 of the pilgrims who walk/cycle the route) we could have the whole route totally clear, right? Not quite, as some hotspots would need more 'intensive care' but this is indicative of how just relatively few people can make a difference over significant distances. This week in Palencia I walked several 5km sections with just half a medium sized trash bag to show for it (and I was actively looking for trash!).

I accept that there will always be a few who think it's fine to dump their Coke can along the Way and that we will always see that kind of thoughtlessness, but wouldn't it be nice to think that there were enough aware and willing pilgs coming along behind who can easily deal with it before it gets kicked into the long grass?

A final point, but an important one is that clearing the Camino can actually be fun and very rewarding! This year my girlfriend joined us for the clearup in Palencia and had a great time (or so she says!) despite never having been a pilgrim herself or having any other 'stake' in the Camino. OK, that's largely due to the beautiful crisp December weather on the gorgeous Meseta and Reb and Paddy's wonderful hospitality, but it really can be enjoyable if you make it so. I'm writing a short booklet with ideas on how to do your bit while on Camino, which will appear in the Resources section once I've incorporated a few photos from this week.

Last spring when I walked my first Camino, I vowed ahead of time that I would pick up 5 pieces of litter every day. But very quickly, I was in a serious state of fatigue and remained so for the duration of my Camino. I used all my strength to get to my destination each day and didn't seem to have any energy for picking up litter. I plan to walk the Camino Frances again in June of 2014 and I will try again to pick up litter. This time I am reducing my daily kilometers, so hopefully I will not be so fatigued.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked last fall. After the reading I did here I expected to find a litter strewn trail ... it wasn't so.

I would suggest that people on the camino get it about litter ... to a certain point.

The places that were disgusting were the rest stops. People brought their litter and found only overflowing trashbins. There was a pile of trash around each bin and clearly the trash had been there for quite some time.

I don't know who is responsible for emptying the trash bins but it is clear there is room for increasing the frequency of it.

Last spring when I walked my first Camino, I vowed ahead of time that I would pick up 5 pieces of litter every day. But very quickly, I was in a serious state of fatigue and remained so for the duration of my Camino. I used all my strength to get to my destination each day and didn't seem to have any energy for picking up litter. I plan to walk the Camino Frances again in June of 2014 and I will try again to pick up litter. This time I am reducing my daily kilometers, so hopefully I will not be so fatigued.
I think your five items goal is fantastic. When my kids were younger, we had a family rule about leaving a camping or picnic site cleaner than we found it. We would always do a litter pick before we left, including stuff others had left behind. That's a whole lot easier when one is car camping than walking the Camino, but I still think it is achievable. I had already planned to carry a small camsping rubbish bag before this was raised, so I thought it was a good suggestion anyway.

Regards

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I found one of the scourges of the trail to be the big piles of used toilet paper in every remotely hidden spot. Seems both unnecessary and disgusting. Not sure what can be done, because there is no way I'm picking that up for other people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The subject of toilet paper, particularly that left by peeing women, is a perennial subject. There is simply no reason why used toilet paper can't be carried to the next town in small zip-locked plastic bags. Or use a panty liner to catch the drips and change it at the next bar.
Pass the message on.

I found one of the scourges of the trail to be the big piles of used toilet paper in every remotely hidden spot. Seems both unnecessary and disgusting. Not sure what can be done, because there is no way I'm picking that up for other people.
Quite right. I don't pick up toilet-related stuff because I don't have the right equipment to do so safely. The same goes for anything that may contain agricultural chemicals etc. The good news is that toilet stuff decomposes relatively quickly, but it is disgusting and unnecessary.

The trend that I found disgusting was the litter in bags tied up on a tree branch. I remember counting three fill bags of rubbish in a tree on one occasion.

I was in Madrid last month (just after the garbage hauler's strike) and noticed a lot of trash bags tied to fences. I thought it was weird and definitely gross (coming from a decidedly "pack-your-trash" culture), but maybe it is a Spanish custom?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am disappointed this has just become another thread venting over rubbish. I think we all know that there is a problem. The OP gave us an opportunity to give a practical commitment on what we might do about it. Some have. It would be great to see more.

Having just walked over the pastfew days via Valcarlos, as far as Zubiri (thank heavens for pensions! No albergue open here), I was struck today at how little evidence of rubbish I have seen. I must say, I didn't do my bit to collect anything as the little I did see was large articles of waterlogged clothing! I can't remember what the rubbish was like the last time I walked in this area and so it may be that it was never as bad here. Janet

It seems a long time now since I first vowed, on this forum, to pick up litter on every day of my Camino. I pretty much managed on the Frances. Santiago, Muxia, Fisterra was more of a challenge; on the Ingles this year I struggled. There were vast stretches without any crap at all. The Beloved and I resorted to clearing road-sides out of desperation.

On reflection I may have to amend my vow to "picking litter when I find it". I'll still carry my "bolsa descarga" and I'll fill it when I meet the need. And I have learnt that I cannot clean the Camino, only leave it cleaner.

Pilgrim etiquette? Surely relieving mother earth of at least some of the burden cast upon her is simply good manners.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back