• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim House and other places of Pilgrim Refuge

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi All,

I will arrive in Santiago sometime near the end of October after the Camino del Norte. This will be the completion of Camino #4. I really like being in Santiago for only one reason and that is to see friends I have met and say goodbye for the moment. But it seems like it is getting more and more crowded and overwhelming for me each time I arrive and I find myself wanting to get out of Santiago. I also find that I have trouble processing my feelings of loss and sadness. I know I need to get back to family but I also have an even stronger urge to keep walking. The saying that the Camino starts in Santiago is so true. I have read about the Pilgrim House. It seems so inviting to me. Can anyone tell me their experience there. I have read that the Pilgrim Office also has services for souls like myself. I would also, if possible, like to check out SYates Egeria House as well as the Camino Chaplaincy. I have no idea of how much time I will have or where my soul and spirit will be when I walk into Santiago, I would just really like to hear people's experiences in any of these settings. It would really be interesting to me. I hope that those who went found comforted, companionship and clarity. I hope I can hear voices of pilgrims and maybe even more importantly the ears of pilgrims who will understand my words of confusion and loss. But there is a lot of joy too, there is just a lot of STUFF!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You know when you've spent the day trudging around a big city? You want a nice, comfortable place to sit and stretch your legs? You don't want a stone wall or a park bench or yet another grande cafe con leche or a beer.

You just need to sit, in comfort and let out a big sigh.

You need, in short, the Pilgrim House.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hope that those who went found comforted, companionship and clarity.
Yes!
All good, @lt56ny .
Whether it be Pilgrim House (@natefaith, and others), Egeria House (@SYates), the Camino Companions (and other places upstairs at the Pilgrim Office, depending on what language you speak)...there are many good and wise folks in Santiago willing to listen and who understand this most peculiar and 'interesting' of transitions.

Not to forget the English pilgrim's mass at the Cathedral at 10AM every day but Sunday; if you are not Catholic (I'm not), instead of receiving communion Fr Manny offers an individual and very moving blessing.

And there is this:
I completed my Camino last Thursday and went to the Pilgrim Office to collect my Compostela. It was 5pm so I went to the Taize prayer & songs in the chapel. It was beautiful and peaceful and a lovely way to end my Camino. The next morning I returned there at 10am for Camino Reflection. This was led sensitively by a Camino Companion & helped me process my experience. I’m sharing this as I don’t think pilgrims are aware of the services offered by volunteers in the Pilgrim Office. I certainly wasn’t aware before my visit but am so appreciative now.

Last edited:
Hi All,

... I would also, if possible, like to check out SYates Egeria House as well as the Camino Chaplaincy. ...

You are very welcome to come by any time! If it is outside of Open House hours, just drop me a PM and I will make sure to be at home. The Anglican Camino Chaplaincy finishes its second term the 23rd October, but I will be there ;-) More info here http://egeria.house

Not to forget the English pilgrim's mass at the Cathedral at 10AM every day but Sunday; ...

Slight correction: Monday to Friday at 10:00 but Saturday at 09:00 ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

I found that lots of time in the cathedral and being part of a 3 hr camino reflection with Katherine from Camino Companions was a deeply integrating time in Santiago. Spending a quiet, reflective week in Finisterre after this connected many special threads. I’m looking forward to participating in more Santiago experiences in the future

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All,

I will arrive in Santiago sometime near the end of October after the Camino del Norte. This will be the completion of Camino #4. I really like being in Santiago for only one reason and that is to see friends I have met and say goodbye for the moment. But it seems like it is getting more and more crowded and overwhelming for me each time I arrive and I find myself wanting to get out of Santiago. I also find that I have trouble processing my feelings of loss and sadness. I know I need to get back to family but I also have an even stronger urge to keep walking. The saying that the Camino starts in Santiago is so true. I have read about the Pilgrim House. It seems so inviting to me. Can anyone tell me their experience there. I have read that the Pilgrim Office also has services for souls like myself. I would also, if possible, like to check out SYates Egeria House as well as the Camino Chaplaincy. I have no idea of how much time I will have or where my soul and spirit will be when I walk into Santiago, I would just really like to hear people's experiences in any of these settings. It would really be interesting to me. I hope that those who went found comforted, companionship and clarity. I hope I can hear voices of pilgrims and maybe even more importantly the ears of pilgrims who will understand my words of confusion and loss. But there is a lot of joy too, there is just a lot of STUFF!
I also like the experience of reuniting with pilgrim friends and family in Santiago. I think the plaza in front of the cathedral must be one of the happiest - and saddest- places in the world. So, when I returned by bus alone to Santiago after walking the Camino Ingles and walking to Muxia, I felt sad because I realized I would not be seeing familiar smiling faces. So I went to the English mass at 10am and enjoyed helping the sisters who were assisting the mass. Then I stopped in at the Pilgrim House - just to see what it was- and ended up having a soothing cup of tea and a long, quiet conversation with a volunteer. Both experiences helped me complete my camino and begin the process of decompressing in a gentle, more reflective way.

You are very welcome to come by any time! If it is outside of Open House hours, just drop me a PM and I will make sure to be at home. The Anglican Camino Chaplaincy finishes its second term the 23rd October, but I will be there ;-) More info here http://egeria.house

Slight correction: Monday to Friday at 10:00 but Saturday at 09:00 ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I doubt if I will be in Santiago by the 23rd as I leave Irún on September 17. I will definitely come by when I arrive in Santiago to your home and Hopefully have an opportunity to meet and speak with you. Have a wonderful summer

I also like the experience of reuniting with pilgrim friends and family in Santiago. I think the plaza in front of the cathedral must be one of the happiest - and saddest- places in the world. So, when I returned by bus alone to Santiago after walking the Camino Ingles and walking to Muxia, I felt sad because I realized I would not be seeing familiar smiling faces. So I went to the English mass at 10am and enjoyed helping the sisters who were assisting the mass. Then I stopped in at the Pilgrim House - just to see what it was- and ended up having a soothing cup of tea and a long, quiet conversation with a volunteer. Both experiences helped me complete my camino and begin the process of decompressing in a gentle, more reflective way.

Well said, likewise, we found that after returning back from Muxia to Santiago the square/cathedral was different then we had walked into upon completing our Camino. People and new found friends are so important.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found that lots of time in the cathedral and being part of a 3 hr camino reflection with Katherine from Camino Companions was a deeply integrating time in Santiago. Spending a quiet, reflective week in Finisterre after this connected many special threads. I’m looking forward to participating in more Santiago experiences in the future
I am hoping to have time to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. It’s for the same reason that you stated about walking thanks a lot.

Yes!
All good, @lt56ny .
Whether it be Pilgrim House (@natefaith, and others), Egeria House (@SYates), the Camino Companions (and other places upstairs at the Pilgrim Office, depending on what language you speak)...there are many good and wise folks in Santiago willing to listen and who understand this most peculiar and 'interesting' of transitions.

Not to forget the English pilgrim's mass at the Cathedral at 10AM every day but Sunday; if you are not Catholic (I'm not), instead of receiving communion Fr Manny offers an individual and very moving blessing.

And there is this:
Thank you so much. I’m not Catholic and I never thought of going to the English language map thank you so much. I’m not Catholic and I never thought of going to the English language mass but that cathedral holds a very very special place in my heart. I think I will definitely go thanks for the advice and your words.

@lt56ny All the best for your Camino del Norte! I haven't been able to visit Pilgrim House yet - I always seem to arrive in Santiago on a day when they are closed. Next time I will time my arrival better because all those I know who have visited, have said that time spent there is very special. I did have a lovely afternoon at Egeria House - wonderful company and conversation.
It can indeed be very crowed and overwhelming in Santiago. I've found a way that works for me to really connect with the city at the end of my camino. I'm usually there for at least a day ~ I get up very early in the morning - at dawn - and take a slow walk through the quiet deserted streets. You see and feel the city in a very different way. Then a visit to the cathedral just as it opens - calm and contemplation in almost complete solitude.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@lt56ny Hola!
The sentiments you expressed in your original post are part of the reason why the Camino Companions, @SYates, and Pilgrim House are here. I'd recommend you visit all three of us, and that way you'll have friendly faces to see who'd love to welcome you into town and hear about your journey. English Mass and Pilgrim Mass are good times of contemplation as well.

Nate and I will be in the US in October but our teammates will be around. Pilgrim House will be open every day from 11am - 6pm, except Sundays and Wednesdays. Have a wonder-filled time on pilgrimage and Buen Camino!
Faith

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.