• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim in Roncesvalles in shorts

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just saw on the national news that Roncesvalles will get snow over 500 meters tonight. Also, the video showed a pilgrim arriving in the snowdrift in shorts. o_O

Wow..

Ivar... isn't 500 meters more than 1600 feet????
Is that true????
Am I missing something?

Or do you mean it will snow above 500 meters???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just checked the calendar and see that @Bobcat77 leaves SJPDP today. Take care please! I am not experienced with these conditions and I would definitely be taking the road not just to Roncesvales but also to Zubriri. And not by foot.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I saw this in the news too!

Edit: The brave man
imagedata.php

Last edited:
If he's from Norway, he's probably enjoying a heat wave.

But I can't help worrying that he'll be the next rescue down the line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just saw on the national news that Roncesvalles will get snow over 500 meters tonight. Also, the video showed a pilgrim arriving in the snowdrift in shorts. o_O

Wow..
So what does this mean, concretely? For those of us not used to calculating based on elevation? Will Roncesvalles get snow? Is so, is that not normal at tbis timeof the year? Same with SJPP? Not normal to have them covered in snow? Pamplona? Sorry for my ignorance, I have no idea what Spain looks like in winter, other than Santiago is always wet with glossy streets. o_O

Roncesvales is just under 1000 metres, so yes, it will get lots of snow (everything over 500 metres will get snow). SJPDP is under 500 metres, so not likely to get snow, but just out of SJPDP is Huntto at 500 metres , Orisson is about 800 metres and the highest point on the Route Napoleon just over 1400 metres. Lots and lots of snow.

The route Napoleon is still officially closed for winter, until the end of March, but even the route through Valcarlos is forecast for snow from where it leaves the N 135 to Roncesvales and from Roncesvales down to Zubiri. If it were me I would be sticking to the road all the way - and wearing a high visibility vest. Unless I decided to sit it out and wait for better weather, take a bus or taxi, or start in Pamplona.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Roncesvales is just under 1000 metres, so yes, it will get lots of snow (everything over 500 metres will get snow). SJPDP is under 500 metres, so not likely to get snow, but just out of SJPDP is Huntto at 500 metres , Orisson is about 800 metres and the highest point on the Route Napoleon just over 1400 metres. Lots and lots of snow.

The route Napoleon is still officially closed for winter, until the end of March, but even the route through Valcarlos is forecast for snow from where it leaves the N 135 to Roncesvales and from Roncesvales down to Zubiri. If it were me I would be sticking to the road all the way - and wearing a high visibility vest. Unless I decided to sit it out and wait for better weather, take a bus or taxi, or start in Pamplona.
Wooo wee, I am starting in early April and wondering if I should upgrade my 11dc comfort rated down bag to a warmer version.

I would not change my sleeping bag; you can always layer on all your clothes. Sometimes the opposite is the problem; too many pilgrims in one small room and no windows open. If you are inside an albergue and cold, you might get a bit uncomfortable, but it is not life threatening. Anything you really need, you can buy in the next big town.

I would think about how to keep warm if caught in snow, and particularly cold rain and wind. I rely on my Altus raincoat, knowing that it is windproof and I can layer merino underneath.

The English are not immune. They can get lost and die from hyperthermia on the Route Napoleon too. Remember the chief executive of Lloyds Scottish Widows investment group? He got caught in bad weather on April 10, in 2007 and died. At the time a spokesman for the Navarra police said "it can be spring near St-Jean-Pied-de-Port but in Roncesvales and on the mountains above it's still deep winter".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would not change my sleeping bag; you can always layer on all your clothes. Sometimes the opposite is the problem; too many pilgrims in one small room and no windows open. If you are inside an albergue and cold, you might get a bit uncomfortable, but it is not life threatening. Anything you really need, you can buy in the next big town.

I would think about how to keep warm if caught in snow, and particularly cold rain and wind. I rely on my Altus raincoat, knowing that it is windproof and I can layer merino underneath.
Thanks Kanga, I have a space blanket for emergencies and have hiked snow in Tasie so well equipped for clothing but I usually take a 4 seasons bag for that. Going a 1 season bag to a cool climate
is new to me I hope it is warmer inside the Albergue :rolleyes: but as you said can layer up if necessary. Coming from Brissy where we are still constantly getting 30 dc humid days and 20 plus dc nights these European Temps are going to be a big difference :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The photo made me pull out a blanket to stay warm! My son had a hockey coach from Canada who always wore shorts on the ice. I suppose it is a matter of what one is accustomed to.

They are calling for 35 cm of snow by this evening!! I would guess that only the road is passable at the moment.

The photo made me pull out a blanket to stay warm! My son had a hockey coach from Canada who always wore shorts on the ice. I suppose it is a matter of what one is accustomed to.

They are calling for 35 cm of snow by this evening!! I would guess that only the road is passable at the moment.

Only the road N135 would be passable and only the left side verges of that road would be safe. Camino paths into and through the woodland would be VERY dangerous; hence do NOT follow path signs at Garecoleta or Gorozgara.

Last edited:
Somewhere I recall that English schoolboys, at least at one time, were expected to wear shorts, even during the winter; it was their uniform. Am I correct? Perhaps our 'shorted' peregrino is harkening back to old days, and young at heart. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
shorts.jpg
Somewhere I recall that English schoolboys, at least at one time, were expected to wear shorts, even during the winter; it was their uniform. Am I correct? Perhaps our 'shorted' peregrino is harkening back to old days, and young at heart. :)

Not these days but certainly in the past. I grew up in Scotland a few miles from a well-known private school. In the 1970s shorts were the uniform wear for boys there up to the age of 14 or so. Very conspicuous on some of the very lanky specimens who were nearly 6 foot tall.

Last edited:
Oh ya then....you have to rescue them

zzotte

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Crossing the Pyrenées is no joke at this time of year. Weather can change within minutes and with snow on open stretches there is risk of not seeing way markers. MsPath is giving the best advice.

Wow..

'Wow' because its snowing in March or 'wow' because he is wearing shorts?

You don't lose much heat from bare legs and generate a lot of heat walking with a pack so shorts are practical even in snowy condiditons. The pant cuffs that would otherwise keep snow out of boots need to be replaced with gaiters.

I walked by the Pyrinees last October. There was no snow, but about 0-4 C early in the mornings.
I met many times a French couple that always used shorts. They were quite experienced trekkers, and they had some kind of theory about cold and blood circulation. Anyway, it seemed to work well for them, but just seeing them gave me cold shivers
I was covered from feet to ears, which they considered rather funny. It was a good topic in the mornings, over the café au lait and croissants.

......MsPath is giving the best advice.
That is well understood.:) On April 8, trekking uphill from Valcarlos in a snowstorm, we emerged from a wooded area onto the road. A signed path heading back into the woods en route to Roncesvalles was clearly visible on the left. Who knows how deep the snow was along that path; there were no footprints. Only a fool would have chosen to go that way. We all continued on the left side of the road.

The rest of us talking about shorts are just having a bit of fun. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first thought was Mad Dogs and Englishmen. ;)
This is not "Noel Coward" - this is just plain stupid! Anyone contemplating walking/hiking when snow is forecast at and above 500 metres (amsl) is asking for trouble. Oh and just in case anyone has not consulted Senior Brierley, the altitude for Roncesvalles is 960 metres meaning it will be well and truly snowed in!!!:);):cool:

Generally speaking I have never understood why so many people think the weather in Navarra during March, April and even May is going to offer bright springtime days. It is on the same latitude as the US/Canada border with mountains above 1000 meters and subjected to major storms that blow in off the Atlantic.

Regardless of where you are from and what your body may be used to, hypothermia begins when body temps drop below 95 degrees. If you are perspiring at all that increases your likelihood of having body functions begin to shut down. Who ever this is or where ever he's from... Ridiculous.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the news clip, the man in shorts is seen shivering and says: "I'm getting cold".

The interviewer confirms that he can see that he is shivering and points out the obvious: "You are wearing shorts". :):):)

I don't understand what the locals say but I can make out "this kind of weather is normal here" and "it's typical for March, it snows for a while, it rains for a while, it is sunny for a while".

(The news clip starts around point 0:43:00 in http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/telediario-21-horas-09-03-16/3516929/)
It's true! I thought it was another man.

I would like the link to this video if it is available.
@Kathar1na put the link before

Generally speaking I have never understood why so many people think the weather in Navarra during March, April and even May is going to offer bright springtime days. It is on the same latitude as the US/Canada border with mountains above 1000 meters and subjected to major storms that blow in off the Atlantic.

True enough. But local climate conditions can vary enormously even at the same latitude. The north coast of Scotland is very close to the latitude of Churchill in Manitoba. It gets a bit chilly in Thurso and Wick in mid-winter but rarely drops down to -26C, the sea doesn't often freeze solid, and you can walk to the pub with almost zero chance of being eaten by polar bears on the way :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, it seems like there is more snow in Spain than in Finland at the moment!

True enough. But local climate conditions can vary enormously even at the same latitude. The north coast of Scotland is very close to the latitude of Churchill in Manitoba. It gets a bit chilly in Thurso and Wick in mid-winter but rarely drops down to -26C, the sea doesn't often freeze solid, and you can walk to the pub with almost zero chance of being eaten by polar bears on the way :)
Ah - the Gulf Stream comes to the rescue, again!!

I totally agree with you about my generalizing the weather, but after living in Biarritz for the last 4 years I can report the major winter storms in the US Midwest that cross the Atlantic every winter can become very serious in Spain and France. We have had 20 meter wave during some of the lately named storms. The jet stream coupled with an Arctic fronts bring us sunny, wonderful weather one day and then sleet and snow the next. I live near the beach and watch the snow fall on the mountains and this season is looking like a late season for wintery weather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not the most geographically challenged person, but I never really processed the fact that most of Europe is that far north.

I was camping last January with the boy scouts. We were setting up tents in the dark on the snow, and wind was howling and it was 13 degrees (-10C), so it was cold. But we had the gear to deal with it. Snow pants, warm boots, warm sleeping bag, hat. I know how not to get cold. I hate being cold. --- I am not planning on packing my cold weather gear with me on the camino. -- I was considering bringing gaiters in case there was some snow... but then thought that I was being over cautious. What do you think? Have others brought gaiters? I am wearing low hiking shoes, we start on April 23.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a very useful and timely warning for me and I'm grateful for it. So many thanks.

I will be arriving in SJPdP on Thursday 24th March. I'd be grateful if anyone on the ground there could update me on conditions a day or two before so I can plan ahead.

JimP,

When you arrive in SJPdP do go directly to the Pilgrims office at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with up to date camino conditions, Pilgrim Passport/Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09.

They keep up to the minute lists of
ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, pilgrim albergues as well as regular tourist accommodation.

Their office is a great place to meet and great fellow pilgrims!

Buen camino!
Margaret Meredith

JimP,

When you arrive in SJPdP do go directly to the Pilgrims office at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with up to date camino conditions, Pilgrim Passport/Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09.

They keep up to the minute lists of
ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, pilgrim albergues as well as regular tourist accommodation.

Their office is a great place to meet and great fellow pilgrims!

Buen camino!
Margaret Meredith

Thank's Margaret, I'll make it my first port of call when I arrive.

Jim

This is a very useful and timely warning for me and I'm grateful for it. So many thanks.

I will be arriving in SJPdP on Thursday 24th March. I'd be grateful if anyone on the ground there could update me on conditions a day or two before so I can plan ahead.
Hi Jim we are arriving March 23 but probably won't start until 24th. If you hear anything let me know. Thanks. Hope to see ya on the trail. Buen Camino

Hi Jim we are arriving March 23 but probably won't start until 24th. If you hear anything let me know. Thanks. Hope to see ya on the trail. Buen Camino
I'll look out for you Mary Sue. There'll be two of us, my wife is joining me for the first 10 days. If you arrive on 23rd and get a chance, let me know what the weather's like. If the weather is good enough we may even go straight to Valcarlos on the first day.

Hi there. I ALWAYS carry with me an emergency blanquet. It´s not expensive, practically no weigh, can provide shadow in summertime if needed, and can save your life in winter time. We are usually carrying lots of unnessesary stuff with us, and forgetting things like these: Ligther. enough water, and emergency blanquet. Carry it ALWAYS. Can save yours and others life.
upload_2016-3-12_17-1-17.png

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can remember wearing shorts for sports, rugby, cross-country running, etc, in the pouring rain on cold days.

Hi there. I ALWAYS carry with me an emergency blanquet. It´s not expensive, practically no weigh, can provide shadow in summertime if needed, and can save your life in winter time. We are usually carrying lots of unnessesary stuff with us, and forgetting things like these: Ligther. enough water, and emergency blanquet. Carry it ALWAYS. Can save yours and others life.
View attachment 24466
And isn't it important to put on your emergency blanket before you get cold? That is, the emergency blanket will help you retain your body heat; it won't help you to reclaim your body heat after it's already been lost. In other words, don't allow yourself to get cold in the first place. Correct?

View attachment 24466
Totally agree !!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Northern Spain (43 degrees north) is fairly close to the latitude of Pennsylvania (40 degrees north), where I grew up. My hometown is 10 miles from the Appalachian Trail. Because of the Gulf Stream, northern Spain is, on the whole, about as warm (and cold) as central Pennsylvania.

However, weather in high mountains (the mountains in PA are not very high) is always unpredictable, especially in spring and fall. I remember toasting in the sun in May at 21C in a resort at the base of the German alpine foothills looking at the snow dusting the mountaintops.

Wow..
How long does the snow last around this part of the world?...starting from SJPDP on 1st of April and getting a bit worried?

How long does the snow last around this part of the world?...starting from SJPDP on 1st of April and getting a bit worried?
It depends on the weather, which is just the same every year, only different. We started from St. Jean on April 7, 2013; there was a terrific snowstorm the night before which closed the Route Napoleon. We had reservations at Orisson, but they closed too (and refunded us our money) and we went via Valcarlos. Perhaps others can tell you if, prior to April 7 that year, the Route Napoleon was open. Check with the pilgrim office in St. Jean. Buen Camino.

Walking in the snow in shorts, he's probably from Yorkshire then. And yes, at my school we all wore shorts all year round. Blue knees anyone?
Well, for me in school shorts in 1950s Belfast, blue knees were not the problem, but red rashes just above the knees on the inner sides!

Yes, those of you leaving in April, I'm afraid its impossible to predict. The one thing you can be sure of is that if you prepare for cold and rain, it will be glorious and sunny, but it you assume it will be glorious and sunny and you will get a blizzard.

Take clothing layers so that you can either strip down to nothing, or add them as needed, plus a windproof and waterproof shell. Then ask and take heed of local advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It looks so beautiful. I just had a look at the webcam for O Cebreiro and it looks lovely too - clear blue skies but still with patches of snow on the ground. But only patches, nothing like Roncesvalles.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Northern Spain (43 degrees north) is fairly close to the latitude of Pennsylvania (40 degrees north), where I grew up. My hometown is 10 miles from the Appalachian Trail. Because of the Gulf Stream, northern Spain is, on the whole, about as warm (and cold) as central Pennsylvania.

However, weather in high mountains (the mountains in PA are not very high) is always unpredictable, especially in spring and fall. I remember toasting in the sun in May at 21C in a resort at the base of the German alpine foothills looking at the snow dusting the mountaintops.

That's very close to the latitude where I live in Southern Oregon

Just started our walk on Thursday April 7. Over Valcarlos it was rainy and muddy but still a good day. Woke up to snow in Roncevalles the next day but able to compete walk to Akerreta though lots of snow then rain and a bit of sun. Pamplona today with no rain but much of the way since St. Jean has been very very muddy and wet. But it is still a grand adventure and pilgrimage!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back