• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Pilgrim Mass and Botafumeiro

ELHS220

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: FRANCÉS-2023
This past May through July, I walked the last part of the Norte, from Oviedo/Avilés, the last two days of the Francés, served as a volunteer in the Pilgrim Office for two weeks, and then walked to Finisterre and on to Muxía. During this time, I did the Mass reading 37 times in various churches along the way, including eight times at the Cathedral itself. I witnessed the botafumeiro up close five times (links attached).

Reading:

Botafumeiro 1:

Botafumeiro 2:

Botafumeiro 3:

(Listen for the shrieking kids from the left side)

Botafumeiro 4:

Botafumeiro 5: https://youtu.be/fWzZ4olV5dg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Inspirational! I was moved by watching the videos. I can only imagine how it must feel attending the mass after having completed your Camino journey. Thank you so much for sharing these videos with us and for sharing your time as volunteer in the Pilgrim Office.

You were reading mass eight times at the Cathedral in SdC and five times you shot the botafumeiro swing?

I guess you're something of a new kind of priests ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Botafumeiro 5:
This past May through July, I walked the last section of the Norte from Oviedo/Avilés, the last two days of the Francés, served as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office for two weeks, and then walked on to Finisterre and Muxía.

During this time, I did the Mass reading 37 times in various churches along the way, including eight times at the Cathedral itself.

I witnessed the Botafumeiro five times up close. Links follow.

Reading:

Botafumeiro 1:

Botafumeiro 2:

Botafumeiro 3:

Botafumeiro 4:

Botafumeiro 5: https://youtu.be/fWzZ4olV5dg
You were reading mass eight times at the Cathedral in SdC and five times you shot the botafumeiro swing?

I guess you're something of a new kind of priests ;)
I am not a priest, but I am a lector at church in the USA. I just became obsessed with doing as many readings as I could all along the Camino.

Back