• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Masses along the Frances Route

tracy089

Time of past OR future Camino
future. not sure yet.
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum, that is new as a 'poster' I've read thru many different threads and posts about gear and experiences ect... and I can hardly wait to start this journey, which is currently slated for spring 2018!
I have read that there are several different churches that offer pilgrims masses on the Frances route, I am wondering what language most of those masses are said in, English, Spanish, something else? I am coming from the United States, I don't speak spanish but am sure willing to learn. I am interested in attending different pilgrims masses along the way, just curious about the language and other peoples experiences of pilgrim masses.

Thanks
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Spanish all the way.
The cathedral in Santiago do have a English spoken pilgrim mass. (Not the regular mass, but one specially in English)

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum, that is new as a 'poster' I've read thru many different threads and posts about gear and experiences ect... and I can hardly wait to start this journey, which is currently slated for spring 2018!
I have read that there are several different churches that offer pilgrims masses on the Frances route, I am wondering what language most of those masses are said in, English, Spanish, something else? I am coming from the United States, I don't speak spanish but am sure willing to learn. I am interested in attending different pilgrims masses along the way, just curious about the language and other peoples experiences of pilgrim masses.

Thanks
Buen Camino
Hi Tracy, the masses are only in Spanish. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Spanish all the way.
The cathedral in Santiago do have a English spoken pilgrim mass. (Not the regular mass, but one specially in English)
Thank You!! The church my family currently belongs to has 2-Spanish masses a month. guess i'll be finding my keister firmly planted in a pew at least once a month for the spanish mass.

Hi Tracy, I walked most recently a few weeks ago from Leon to SdC. I looked for an evening Mass wherever I happened to end up each evening, I would say about 5 or 6 times in 14 nights I found there was a 'pilgrim mass' usually at 7pm. Depends very much on the local priest. Mass was always in Spanish. I am a priest who speaks no Spanish, and was usually warmly invited (when I concelebrated) to read part of the Mass in English. Other nationalities when present were represented too. In some places where there was a special effort: the priest often asked for a reader to read in another language instead of Spanish for the first reading. Seeking out the Mass in the evening is a great (additional) way to meet people.
Somewhat different (and worth looking out for) are parochial or monastic or convent albergues, which tend to make a feature of Mass / evening prayer. For example Roncesvalles, the Benedictines in Rabanal, Benedictine Sisters in Sahagun and Leon, Parochial Albergue in Carrion de los Condes. Also Granon and Tosantos come to mind from a few years ago. And wonderful Dutch Evangleical albergue in Villamajor de Monjardin.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Apparently, Mass is sometimes said in English in Moratinos and a neighbouring village, east of Sahagun. Details can be found at: http://caminochaplaincy.blogspot.ca/

However, German and Dutch friends along the way agreed with me that it is fairly easy to follow in Spanish if you know the text in your own language.

Ask the albergue hospitaleros all along the Camino. If anyone knows when and where they should know. Check also the bulletin boards since an albergue with a high turnover of volunteers should have it posted or in a file somewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
TIMR has mentioned the Benedictine monks at Rabanal del Camino. Their monastery adjoins Gaucelmo Refugio the English albergue, and the church where they have their services is no more than 30 metres away. There is Vespers [Evening Prayer ] at 7 pm each night, and during this service pilgrims from Gaucelmo [ or another albergue if needed ] read passages in English, German, French, Italian and Spanish. Also the monks carry out Gregorian chanting as part of the service. There is a short Compline [ Prayer at the End of the Day ] service at 9.30 pm followed by a pilgrim blessing when the pilgrims are blessed by the monk leading the service, usually Father Javier.

The mass in the church beside the monastery is at 9.30 am, not a very pilgrim friendly time, but one that suits the locals.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Benedictine monks at Rabanal del Camino
Monasterio Benedictino de El Salvador de Monte Irago - Rabanal del Camino (León)
HORARIO DE MISA:
Días laborables: 9:00 horas
Festivos: 12:30 horas
LAUDES:
Días laborables: 7:30 horas
Festivos: 8:00 horas
VÍSPERAS:
19:00 horas
COMPLETAS Y BENDICIÓN DEL PEREGRINO:
21:30 horas

From the map link above...

Thanks
Buen Camino
i only attended a few masses on my walk but i would STRONGLY suggest you try to attend the mass in carrion de los condes as it was amazing the nuns at the hostel were warm kind and just very lovely,the pilgrim blessing at the end we were told it would be special and wow it was ! cant really describe it to do it justice but will say almost all the pilgrims walked out from the blessing with tears in their eyes . a must in my opinion and this is from someone that is not religious..my sister and i talked about it for days.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
i only attended a few masses on my walk but i would STRONGLY suggest you try to attend the mass in carrion de los condes as it was amazing the nuns at the hostel were warm kind and just very lovely,the pilgrim blessing at the end we were told it would be special and wow it was ! cant really describe it to do it justice but will say almost all the pilgrims walked out from the blessing with tears in their eyes . a must in my opinion and this is from someone that is not religious..my sister and i talked about it for days.

Absolutely agree. Carrion de los Condes was wonderful. Incredibly moving and I certainly had tears in my eyes.

This is a really interesting and uplifting blog! I'm so glad it was posted because I wasn't aware of this ministry and will definitely make a point of getting there.

I'm really appreciating this entire thread. I hope to get to as many masses as possible, and had bookmarked the mass list referenced above. But knowing of special pilgrim masses and blessings, especially places were others have been particularly moved, is a wonderful bonus. Thank you all!

knowing of special pilgrim masses and blessings
I went to vespers in Santo Domingo del Calzada with a small group. Afterward I jokingly remarked that I should have paid more attention in Latin class, so I could have understood the hymns. I was informed that they were singing in Spanish. (I don't speak Spanish, and never took Latin, by the way.) I had to buy wine for the table afterward.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two couples that went on our Anniewalkers Camino trip last spring attended Mass almost every day.
The Mass was either in Spanish or Latin, though - and they found times were always posted on the church doors.

Thanks
Buen Camino

List of places that have mass along the Camino.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zcf5zDxSIzv4.kExF_twLHLRg&msa=0

Print out to a size that works for you and laminate.
http://www.misas.org/sta.tic/descarga/missa_es_en.pdf

Hi Tracy, I walked most recently a few weeks ago from Leon to SdC. I looked for an evening Mass wherever I happened to end up each evening, I would say about 5 or 6 times in 14 nights I found there was a 'pilgrim mass' usually at 7pm. Depends very much on the local priest. Mass was always in Spanish. I am a priest who speaks no Spanish, and was usually warmly invited (when I concelebrated) to read part of the Mass in English. Other nationalities when present were represented too. In some places where there was a special effort: the priest often asked for a reader to read in another language instead of Spanish for the first reading. Seeking out the Mass in the evening is a great (additional) way to meet people.
Somewhat different (and worth looking out for) are parochial or monastic or convent albergues, which tend to make a feature of Mass / evening prayer. For example Roncesvalles, the Benedictines in Rabanal, Benedictine Sisters in Sahagun and Leon, Parochial Albergue in Carrion de los Condes. Also Granon and Tosantos come to mind from a few years ago. And wonderful Dutch Evangleical albergue in Villamajor de Monjardin.
Buen Camino.[/QUOTE

Thank You!!! I am a Benedictine Oblate, so I have a special affinity for being able to pray any part of the Liturgy of the Hours in community. I will most definitely keep an eye out for the monasteries and convents that you mentioned.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Galicia, you can find some masses in Galician and in Navarre you can find some masses in Basque. Otherwise, masses are in Spanish except those in English already quoted and the odd mass you might find in Latin. I heard somewhere that on some summer dates there was a mass in French in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela but I can't confirm it.

Out of the Roman rite, you might find masses in other languages (e.g.: there was (is?) Byzantine rite mass in Ukranian in the seminaire of Pamplona twice a month).

Thank You everyone. I really appreciate all the advice and input. I am soooooo looking forward to this pilgrimage and just want to soak in as much as possible. I've got some time to plant my keister in a pew for some spanish masses here in the U.S so I can pick up on some of the language. Thank You

Buen Camino .... see you in 2018!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apparently, Mass is sometimes said in English in Moratinos and a neighbouring village, east of Sahagun. Details can be found at: http://caminochaplaincy.blogspot.ca/

However, German and Dutch friends along the way agreed with me that it is fairly easy to follow in Spanish if you know the text in your own language.

Oops, this is the blog I was referring to :eek:.

In Galicia, you can find some masses in Galician and in Navarre you can find some masses in Basque. Otherwise, masses are in Spanish except those in English already quoted and the odd mass you might find in Latin. I heard somewhere that on some summer dates there was a mass in French in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela but I can't confirm it.

Out of the Roman rite, you might find masses in other languages (e.g.: there was (is?) Byzantine rite mass in Ukranian in the seminaire of Pamplona twice a month).

There is a church in Leon where you can hear mass in Leonese, the local dialect, and in Aragonese in Huesca and Jaca on the Camino Aragonese. Liturgical frikis can also hear mass said in the ancient Mozarabic rite in the Basilica of San Isidoro in Leon, which I believe is the only place in the world outside Toledo and Madrid where it is used. An acquaintance had quite a time searching for Latin masses along the Camino but came up with nothing. Mass is said in Italian and in German at the Cathedral in Santiago, and times are easily findable locally.

Absolutely agree. Carrion de los Condes was wonderful. Incredibly moving and I certainly had tears in my eyes.
Yes, it was. Moving and spiritual. Those sisters are amazing, hard-working dedicated ladies.
I carry the little paper, cutout star they gave me in my wallet everyday.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank You!!! I will print this and take it to Spanish masses in the U.S. as I prepare for this journey.
Muchos Gracious.

Tracy, in addition to the Mass translation Bajaracer gives, if you have a smartphone there's a free app, "Laudate," that links to the daily Mass Bible readings. In addition to the obvious benefits, this can be especially useful if the priest decides to give a lengthy homily and you find yourself, as I once did, sitting through a 45-minute sermon. In Czech :eek: :eek: .

Laudate also links to the daily Liturgy of the Hours readings for Vespers/Evening Prayer.

Yes, it was. Moving and spiritual. Those sisters are amazing, hard-working dedicated ladies.
I carry the little paper, cutout star they gave me in my wallet everyday.
that little star is such a lovely simple thing ,i love mine too:)i expect anyone that did not share the experience of that mass would look at us like we might just be a little bit nuts..to treasure such a simple gift!

that little star is such a lovely simple thing ,i love mine too:)i expect anyone that did not share the experience of that mass would look at us like we might just be a little bit nuts..to treasure such a simple gift!
Yeah, after I posted it I wondered if some readers would wonder what the heck I was talking about, ha ha. :)
I also thought the singing and communal meal at the albergue was a very cool thing, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's a mass in Latin at 10:00 a.m. in the Cathedral of Pamplona on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

I found that one for him, but he wanted an assurance that this was the Usus Antiquor (the old form of the mass) rather than the Novus Ordo (which is what one will generally find) in Latin, and I had no idea (nor do I particularly like it when I am asked for a formal assurance of whatever a third party might be up to), and he broke off contact after that. I imagine that the Cathedral can let an enquirer know which rite is used (catedraldepamplona@gmail.com)

I found that one for him, but he wanted an assurance that this was the Usus Antiquor (the old form of the mass) rather than the Novus Ordo (which is what one will generally find) in Latin

AFAIK, it's usus antiquior (aka Tridentine mass) but I can't tell you for sure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks
Buen Camino
It was our experience that almost every village or town big enough to have a church, usually had a Pilgrim's Mass or occasionally a Benediction every night at 7:00 PM. The Mass was in Spanish, but the Priest often had a blessing for the Pilgrims that included English. Those small Pilgrim gatherings were at times much more emotional than the final Mass in Santiago. Some of the Priest and Nuns went out of their way to recognize the Pilgrims. One evening Mass the Benedictine Nuns played the music and sang. After the Mass, one of the Nuns gave a welcoming talk to the Pilgrims (She was very excited that she got through the talk in correct English), and the Nuns had made stars that they gave each Pilgrim. It was always a special part of the Camino.

There is Vespers [Evening Prayer ] at 7 pm each night, and during this service pilgrims from Gaucelmo [ or another albergue if needed ] read passages in English, German, French, ....

Alan
I thought they ask people doing retreats with them to read. Perhaps they do when they have them. Doing a retreat with them is something I would like to do one day.

Is that where the nuns give you a hand drawn star to take with you? I still have mine in my passport.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Isn't there also a Gregorian chant mass in Logrono a Sumday a month or so? I was lucky to attend it.

And then there is the blessing by the nuns in Leon next to the Carbajalas albergue. And one of these nuns has quite the sense of humour!

If you want to prepare, maybe with cue-cards, learn your Salve Regina and the acto de penitencia which starts (so you can google) with Por mi culpa... It is something I have only experienced in Spanish speaking services, in Spain and South America. It's part of the Ordinary.

acto de penitencia which starts (so you can google) with Por mi culpa...

I think you are talking about:

Yo confieso ante Dios Todopoderoso y ante vosotros hermanos que he pecado mucho de pensamiento, palabra, obra y omisión: por mi culpa, por mi culpa, por mi gran culpa. Por eso ruego a Santa María siempre Virgen, a los santos, a los ángeles y a vosotros hermanos que intercedáis por mí ante Dios, nuestro Señor. Amén.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tracy, in addition to the Mass translation Bajaracer gives, if you have a smartphone there's a free app, "Laudate," that links to the daily Mass Bible readings. In addition to the obvious benefits, this can be especially useful if the priest decides to give a lengthy homily and you find yourself, as I once did, sitting through a 45-minute sermon. In Czech :eek: :eek: .

Laudate also links to the daily Liturgy of the Hours readings for Vespers/Evening Prayer.

Thank You. I have imissal on my phone as well as a breviary and the Divine Office podcast. I soooo can't wait for 2018!!!

It will get here, sooner than you think! I thought 2015 would never arrive, and now it's less than 3 months before I leave. So excited!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks
Buen Camino
The masses I attended on the camino were all in Spanish. I don't know spanish, and there were no mass books or hymnals for me to follow the prayers, so I wish I had taken one along (in spanish) from my parish. And I wish I had taken the time to learn the Our Father in Spanish by heart before I walked. -- We were walking during holy week, and kept missing the times for mass/services. So I suggested to my son that we say a "Glory Be" every time we saw a cross. --I've never said so many "Glory Be"s in one day in my life. :)

The masses I attended on the camino were all in Spanish. I don't know spanish, and there were no mass books or hymnals for me to follow the prayers, so I wish I had taken one along (in spanish) from my parish. And I wish I had taken the time to learn the Our Father in Spanish by heart before I walked. -- We were walking during holy week, and kept missing the times for mass/services. So I suggested to my son that we say a "Glory Be" every time we saw a cross. --I've never said so many "Glory Be"s in one day in my life. :)

Hi Kelly, I walked part of a pilgrimage earlier this summer in the United States. Most of my walking companions were Spanish Speakers. The priest with us said mass every-day bilingually for the 2 of us on this pilgrimage that didn't speak spanish. The first thing I asked our parish priest, who speaks spanish was how can I learn the Our Father!?!?! We have Spanish mass twice a month, I'll be firmly planted in a pew for the next 2 1/2 years at least once a month to learn the Our Father and other parts of the mass in spanish. When in Rome....

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Whether you are Catholic, (practicing or lapsed), Protestant, Jewish or an agnostic, I would encourage you to attend a Mass.

I tried to attend a daily local Mass in each village/town/city as I was walking on behalf of several intentions. I do speak some Spanish and was able to follow the Mass. The townspeople and fellow pilgrims make the gathering special. The locals though were incredibly kind and welcoming. One of the many beautiful memories of the Camino.

Who can forget the Australian tenor at San Juan de Obrega this past September! He was a member of the Australian National Opera. Or the Mass at Carrion des Condes. There was an equally special classical guitar concert afterwards.

One of the most moving experiences was walking into the Convent at Sahagun, having just missed the morning Mass in Spanish, and meeting Fr. Uli, a German priest, leading his pilgrims on the Camino. It was the first time I had attended Mass in German. He and his entire group made me feel very welcomed and special.

As the saying goes: The Camino provides.

Enjoy your Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whether you are Catholic, (practicing or lapsed), Protestant, Jewish or an agnostic, I would encourage you to attend a Mass.

I tried to attend a daily local Mass in each village/town/city as I was walking on behalf of several intentions. I do speak some Spanish and was able to follow the Mass. The townspeople and fellow pilgrims make the gathering special. The locals though were incredibly kind and welcoming. One of the many beautiful memories of the Camino.

Who can forget the Australian tenor at San Juan de Obrega this past September! He was a member of the Australian National Opera. Or the Mass at Carrion des Condes. There was an equally special classical guitar concert afterwards.

One of the most moving experiences was walking into the Convent at Sahagun, having just missed the morning Mass in Spanish, and meeting Fr. Uli, a German priest, leading his pilgrims on the Camino. It was the first time I had attended Mass in German. He and his entire group made me feel very welcomed and special.

As the saying goes: The Camino provides.

Enjoy your Camino.
was this Australian guy walking wiht a couple of pals by any chance?cos my sister and i were walking in sept and this guy sang after the mass in Carrion des condes,, that was the most amazing spine tingling mass i have ever attended.

Yes. Those pals were his two brothers. I missed him at Carrion but heard him in San Juan de Ortega. Jennie, what day did you start from St. Jean Pied de Port. There were two sisters (I think) who were definitely Irish staying at the Maison Donamaria. I left St. Jean on Sept 8th.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. Those pals were his two brothers. I missed him at Carrion but heard him in San Juan de Ortega. Jennie, what day did you start from St. Jean Pied de Port. There were two sisters (I think) who were definitely Irish staying at the Maison Donamaria. I left St. Jean on Sept 8th.
we were trailing behind you , we left st jean on the 11th of sept, we had the most wonderful time hope you did too, that guys singing in carrion was excellent,we laughed alot cos we met them again sitting on a wall and one called over n said " you girls want to see a snake ? " hold in your mind an image of 3 guys askin this in the middle of no where and of course we said yes !!and of course there was a snake in the stream.. it was later we laughed and said if that had happened anywhere else we would have most likely told those guys where to to in no uncertain terms,:D

There are so many rich stories to tell about the Camino. Those Australian brothers were just part of the incredible mosaic each and every one of us experience.

I will be returning this September to complete the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon. It may or may not be a replica of last September's journey. I do know that whatever I experience will be an incredible life lesson.

Buen Camino Amigos y Amigas. Utreia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One interesting thing that happened to me toward the end of the Camino Frances, I think in Sarria, a Priest gave me a special mass/route bookmark in the hopes I'd attend mass in every town on the way to Santiago. This wasn't feasible as I covered a lot of ground, passing several of the towns per day, and because I did not arrive at the right time even when I did arrive at the town.

However, I could see it as being a really nice slow walk from Sarria to Santiago that way, following such a guide, especially if you are interested in attending mass.

Thanks very much for your entry on this subject. I see there are 2 convents at Carrion de los Condes. Which one had the mass you attend, Parish Albergue Santa Maria (Benedictine) or Albergue Espiritu Santo (Dughters of Charity)?

Thanks very much for your entry on this subject. I see there are 2 convents at Carrion de los Condes. Which one had the mass you attend, Parish Albergue Santa Maria (Benedictine) or Albergue Espiritu Santo (Dughters of Charity)?
hi James, i think it was the santa Maria albergue,we were hot and tired and were greeted with a cold drink and a very warm smile,the albergue was in the town behind the large church as you enter the town.I do not attend mass very often but i was surprised to find myself and almost all others there moved to tears by the blessing at the end,the priest that did the mass also did this as though it was a wonderful thing he was sharing with us [even though i did not understand the words i felt the magic]i hope you get to attend and let us know if it was as wonderful for you.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back