• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim masses in Santiago cathedral to be suspended from Monday 28 January 2019

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
No pilgrim masses to be held in the Santiago cathedral for up to a year - from Monday 28 January 2019

It has been announced in local websites that from next Monday ALL masses will be suspended in the cathedral while building work goes on other than the 11am parish mass in the Corticela chapel. Including all pilgrim masses and major festivals which will be transferred to other churches in the historic town centre including San Francisco and San Martin Pinario. This may continue for up to one year. There will still be limited visitor access to the cathedral and it will remain possible to visit the apostle's relics or hug the Apostle but there will be no liturgical celebrations in the cathedral itself.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...s-casco-historico/00031548262118708779144.htm

https://www.abc.es/espana/galicia/abci-sin-misas-catedral-santiago-durante-201901231827_noticia.html

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I realize this maybe a stupid question but those if you who are more familiar do you think there any chance they may move the Botafumiero to another church? Has it ever been in another church? It meant a lot to to me to be there on November 1st for All Saints Day Mass.
Please know that I realize it’s just one part and for many being in a church for a Mass is insignificant part of the journey but for me being in the Cathederal of St James on All Saints Day was important. That’s not going to happen now but I’d still really like to experience the Botafumiero.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I realize this maybe a stupid question but those if you who are more familiar do you think there any chance they may move the Botafumiero to another church? Has it ever been in another church? It meant a lot to to me to be there on November 1st for All Saints Day Mass.

I would think it very unlikely. Whatever building it was installed in would have to have the support beams and pulley system installed. A major piece of building work that might well cause problems for the fabric of the building. And just for the few months of the cathedral closure? Doesn't seem worth the trouble and expense.

I would think it very unlikely. Whatever building it was installed in would have to have the support beams and pulley system installed. A major piece of building work that might well cause problems for the fabric of the building. And just for the few months of the cathedral closure? Doesn't seem worth the trouble and expense.
Thank you for your response. That’s what I thought.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yikes! I suppose they have very good reason...

Hola @t2andreo . I agree with your "Yikes". I have a feeling that this one of two issues - a follow-up to the work on the outside, which I now understand is completed; or its a preparation for the next Holy Year (2021??). But either way I expect there are going to be a large number of disappointed pilgrims, particularly those expecting to see the Botofumerio swing. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Basilica of Saint Francis is beautiful in its own right. The Pilgrim Masses to be held there each day will be wonderful.

Absence of the Botafumeiro will only be noticed by those persons who make it a primary focus of their arrival at Santiago. This is but one feature of the entire pilgrimage, a visit to the Cathedral and the relics of the Apostle Saint James.

If I read correctly, despite the disjointed nature of the various points of interest or devotion, everything remains accessible EXCEPT the Botafumeiro. Remember, (and IIRC) the Botafumeiro was also offline while it was being restored during all of 2017 and into 2018. So we have all been there before.

(NOTE: AlaskaDiver has corrected my recollection. It was closed in late 2017 and into the first half of 2018 for repairs to the pulley mechanism. It was once again used when I arrived for volunteer service in mid-July 2018).

The authorities are trying to finish the entire renovation ASAP, but before the 2021 Holy Year.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Absence of the Botafumeiro will only be noticed by those persons who make it a primary focus of their arrival at Santiago.
I didn't get to see the Botafumeiro in use, but I did witness the congregation holding their cell phones up in anticipation of seeing it fly. That was one of the more missable experiences of my Camino (the behavior of some people, not the mass).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although I’m disappointed I won’t see the Botafumerio on this my 3rd Camino. I am blessed to have seen it fly many times before. I’m glad to know now of the change in location instead of finding out when I arrive in Santiago. At least we will still have access to a portion of the Cathedral, right?

You can see the Botafumeiro on You Tube. Seeing it in person, at least once is a huge thing for many people.

But you can easily see the entire ceremony online, even on your networked big screen TV, courtesy of all the tourists in the Cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Basilica of Saint Francis is beautiful in its own right. The Pilgrim Masses to be held there each day will be wonderful.

Absence of the Botafumeiro will only be noticed by those persons who make it a primary focus of their arrival at Santiago. This is but one feature of the entire pilgrimage and visit to the Cathedral and the relics of the Apostle Saint James.

If I read correctly, despite the disjointed nature of the various points of interest or devotion, everything remains accessible EXCEPT the Botafumeiro. Remember, (and IIRC) the Botafumeiro was also offline while it was being restored during all of 2017 and into 2018. So we have all been there before.

The authorities are trying to finish the entire renovation ASAP, but before the 2021 Holy Year.

Hope this helps.
Not all of 2017. I was there in May 2017 and was swinging.

Oh no, picked the wrong year. I have never seen the botafumeiro swing. I was there only a month later in June 2017 and it wasn't swinging.
And I promised my husband he would experience it, by my accounts we arrive into Santiago on his birthday. I thought that would be an awesome present, the pilgrim mass on his birthday.
Looks like it means 4 Caminos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh no, picked the wrong year. I have never seen the botafumeiro swing. And I promised my husband he would, by my accounts we arrive into Santiago on his birthday. I thought that would be an awesome present, the pilgrim mass on his birthday.
The Pilgrim mass is special without the Botafumeiro. But yeah, it’s pretty cool to watch. You’ll just have to go back next year :)

I missed the Botafumero on my first Camino last April, I planned to go back this year hoping to see it. Now I’m debating if I should postpone till next year. I know that’s not the principal reason to go but I certainly had a heart set on seeing it once at least.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw the botafumeiro in August 2017, but I did not really miss it last year. I think, people are more concentrated on the mass, if they are not trying to make photos or videos of the botafumeiro. Knowing that there would not be the botafumeiro also meant that there were less tourists in the cathedral and it was easily possible to find a seat even 10 minutes before mass started.

As I plan only to walk the first half of the Via de la Plata this year, the alteration does not really affect me. I hope the interiour of the cathedral will be restored when I get there 2020.

BC
Alexandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will miss seeing the botafumeiro in action, but at least I won't have to worry about passing out! Twice when the priest used incense during mass when I was in elementary school----wham! I was out cold. Head hit the pew! Can't explain it. Now when I've been to a few funerals when it has been used I make sure I am sitting down lol!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I feel blessed as I walked 3 Caminos all ending with the Butafumerio flying so this year when I finish my first CP I won’t feel cheated.
What a blessing these pilgrimages and masses have been to my soul. I praise Saint James for his ministry on the Iberian peninsula.

Blessings🙏

No pilgrim masses to be held in the Santiago cathedral for up to a year - from Monday 28 January

It has been announced in local websites that from next Monday ALL masses will be suspended in the cathedral while building work goes on other than the 11am parish mass in the Corticela chapel. Including all pilgrim masses and major festivals which will be transferred to other churches in the historic town centre including San Francisco and San Martin Pinario. This may continue for up to one year. There will still be limited visitor access to the cathedral and it will remain possible to visit the apostle's relics or hug the Apostle but there will be no liturgical celebrations in the cathedral itself.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...s-casco-historico/00031548262118708779144.htm

https://www.abc.es/espana/galicia/abci-sin-misas-catedral-santiago-durante-201901231827_noticia.html
Funny thing is I told people about this back in July when my son returned from Santiago with this news. No-one believed me :):) either on here or the face book groups I told about it

Absence of the Botafumeiro will only be noticed by those persons who make it a primary focus of their arrival at Santiago. This is but one feature of the entire pilgrimage, a visit to the Cathedral and the relics of the Apostle Saint James.

(NOTE: AlaskaDiver has corrected my recollection. It was closed in late 2017 and into the first half of 2018 for repairs to the pulley mechanism. It was once again used when I arrived for volunteer service in mid-July 2018).

Hope this helps.
St Francis is indeed a beautiful church. In my 5 visits to Santiago, (only 3 on pilgrimage), the most memorable Mass I attended was in this basilica

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Funny thing is I told people about this back in July when my son returned from Santiago with this news. No-one believed me :):) either on here or the face book groups I told about it

I've been following posts about this for months in the local Galician news websites. The last I remember seeing was a plan to shift weekday masses to other churches but still hold some services in the cathedral on Sundays and major festivals. What I found surprising about this announcement was the complete move from the cathedral and the very short public notice. 5 days warning for a closure which might last a year? Hadn't been expecting that!

There will be no tourists armed with cellphones trying to capture the uncapturable.
And mass will just be...mass. I look forward to the sanity of that.

On my 3rd, 4th and 5th Caminos, I didn’t even stay for the Pilgrim’s Mass. Granted, I had seen the Botafumeiro swinging on the first two occasions - purely by chance. Well, I did arrive on August 15th.... But oooh, all these phones held up high (blocking YOUR view) and the people standing - and talking through it ...!!! Bedlam.
Every time though I paid a visit to the crypt and in 2016 I went through the door of Gracia - but always very early. There was no-one.
You can go to Mass in any of the other churches. You can watch the Botafumeiro on u-tube....
Can someone explain to me why it matters so much?
I dont mean to be ackward but I just don’t get it.

No pilgrim masses to be held in the Santiago cathedral for up to a year - from Monday 28 January

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My last chance to be on the Camino due to health issues is this year, and one of the highlights which I wanted to see will not be available. No, UTube doesn’t fill that for me. But I guess the journey is more important than the destination. Perhaps I should focus on that...but I admit I feel like this might be a sign not to go at all. 2020 is, unfortunately not an option.

My last chance to be on the Camino due to health issues is this year, and one of the highlights which I wanted to see will not be available. No, UTube doesn’t fill that for me. But I guess the journey is more important than the destination. Perhaps I should focus on that...but I admit I feel like this might be a sign not to go at all. 2020 is, unfortunately not an option.
You will still be able to see the Cathedral and hug the statue and see the crypt. Why see it as a "sign" not to go when it might be a challenge to test your real reason for going? The Botafumeiro is cool to see, but honestly, with the massive amounts of tourists crowding the cathedral taking photos and just being overall disrespectful during mass-ugh. We're going back in April and plan to take in the rooftop tour and the other tours in the church, but we had no plan to go to Pilgrim mass at the Cathedral. We're going to a smaller church.

Last edited:
You will still be able to see the Cathedral and hug the statue and see the crypt. Why see it as a "sign" not go when it might be a challenge to test your real reason for going? The Botafumeiro is cool to see, but honestly, with the massive amounts of tourists crowding the cathedral taking photos and over just being disrespectful during mass-ugh. We're going back and April and plan to take in the rooftop tour and the other tours in the church, but we had no plan to go to Pilgrim mass at the Cathedral. We're going to a smaller church.
Went from Pamplona to Astorga last year and had to quit due to severe sciatica. At this moment I am sitting here with a wrist in a cast with pins and plates after crashing a bike in France and that was exacerbated by an incompetent hand surgeon . This is the second surgery. Husband has health issues so 2019 is my only shot. Am going to try for September so perhaps this is a test of my determination. Again, I do believe the journey is more important than the destination. We all end up at the same destination in life and death. It is how we get there that makes the difference .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Alright, this will probably be a post that will get disagreeing comments (which is fine).

The "botafumeiro swing" was probably the only and most disappointing moment of my entire camino.

I read so much about it before I walked. Of how it was impressive, magical. I thought it would be marvellous. But I probably let my expectations go too high. Then I attended the mass (which was very moving and beautiful) and they started swinging the botafumeiro. Much smaller than it seems on the internet, actually.
My thoughts were "really? is that it?". I was underwhelmed. Normally i would just shrugh my shoulder and think "oh well", but then there were all those phones and photos and people making noise. The Disneyland-like behaviour really tainted the experience. I didn't mind the crowds or the conga-line after Sarria, but people behaving like that in a mass just got me. If they wanna go mad at a candelabra-like thing swinging, they can watch the Phantom of the Opera (but maybe they would behave, because for theatre you pay).

On my second camino I arrived at the church, attended mass at a side chapel and walked out. I didnt even ask if there would be botafumeiro. I'm glad I saw it once because it dismissed any (all0 the expectations I had, but if anyone asks me, I would say "good if you can satisfy your curiosity, but don't be sad at all if you miss it. It is nothing compared to what you experience while trying to get there".

Can someone explain to me why it matters so much?
I dont mean to be ackward but I just don’t get it.
You may be voicing a question that many have, @domigee.
I've certainly wondered the same thing.

Tourists aside, the whole botafumerio ritual can be moving, no doubt about that. But it's just an interesting and impressive experience, and I guess if you collect those, it's disappointing to miss.
But next to the inner wealth that can be gained by walking any significant distance getting to Santiago, it pales by comparison.

I am more concerned at a year-long closure at short notice, wondering if there is significant structural damage to the cathedral that needs repair.

Alright, this will probably be a post that will get disagreeing comments (which is fine).

The "botafumeiro swing" was probably the only and most disappointing moment of my entire camino.

I read so much about it before I walked. Of how it was impressive, magical. I thought it would be marvellous. But I probably let my expectations go too high. Then I attended the mass (which was very moving and beautiful) and they started swinging the botafumeiro. Much smaller than it seems on the internet, actually.
My thoughts were "really? is that it?". I was underwhelmed. Normally i would just shrugh my shoulder and think "oh well", but then there were all those phones and photos and people making noise. The Disneyland-like behaviour really tainted the experience. I didn't mind the crowds or the conga-line after Sarria, but people behaving like that in a mass just got me. If they wanna go mad at a candelabra-like thing swinging, they can watch the Phantom of the Opera (but maybe they would behave, because for theatre you pay).

On my second camino I arrived at the church, attended mass at a side chapel and walked out. I didnt even ask if there would be botafumeiro. I'm glad I saw it once because it dismissed any (all0 the expectations I had, but if anyone asks me, I would say "good if you can satisfy your curiosity, but don't be sad at all if you miss it. It is nothing compared to what you experience while trying to get there".
Glad I read your post. No doubt it's all about the journey for me. My pack, my fellow pilgrims and peace as I walk the entire CF and take it all in. Buen camino to all.

Went from Pamplona to Astorga last year and had to quit due to severe sciatica. At this moment I am sitting here with a wrist in a cast with pins and plates after crashing a bike in France and that was exacerbated by an incompetent hand surgeon . This is the second surgery. Husband has health issues so 2019 is my only shot. Am going to try for September so perhaps this is a test of my determination. Again, I do believe the journey is more important than the destination. We all end up at the same destination in life and death. It is how we get there that makes the difference .
Geez, that’s a lot to deal with. I wish you the best and pray for a speedy recovery. I hope you get to make it this year. Hugs (( ))

You may be voicing a question that many have, @domigee.
I've certainly wondered the same thing.

Tourists aside, the whole botafumerio ritual can be moving, no doubt about that. But it's just an interesting and impressive experience, and I guess if you collect those, it's disappointing to miss.
But next to the inner wealth that can be gained by walking any significant distance getting to Santiago, it pales by comparison.

I am more concerned at a year-long closure at short notice, wondering if there is significant structural damage to the cathedral that needs repair.
It wasn’t on short notice. This was announced months and months ago. It just didn’t make to this forum until now.

Both the "botafumerio swing" and the mass were anti-climactic for me.; especially the mass...no pilgrim blessing, just communion for those "invited". I enjoyed the pilgrim's mass at Roncesvalles much more.
To me, after 500 miles, to walk down the steps, through the portico, hearing the bagpipes play and out onto the Plaza was the most emotional experience of my Camino. A total surprise! I hadnt anticipated such a reaction. I just walked around the Plaza in a daze and finally just sat down, stared at the cathedral and bawled! Totally unlike me, but wow, so cool! And, people actually stopped and put their hand on my shoulder; like "I get it, man." I did enjoy touring the cathedral, hugging St. James and walking down to see the crypt. Oh...and eating dinner with my walking buddy Tim, whom I'd parted company with (I was slower!) in Lorgono and found in the Plaza! THAT was special! The Camino is sooo much about camaraderie!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We're going back in April and plan to take in the rooftop tour and the other tours in the church, but we had no plan to go to Pilgrim mass at the Cathedral. We're going to a smaller church.
The way I understand it, the roof of the Cathedral will be also closed to visitors, at least during some of the time. See for example:

https://www.elcorreogallego.es/sant...ulcro/idEdicion-2019-01-24/idNoticia-1161015/
https://www.europapress.es/turismo/...io-200000-visitantes-2018-20190118182955.html

https://www.ultreyatours.com/blog/t...dral-to-other-nearby-churches-in-all-of-2019/

Very poor consolidation for someone who plan the Camino more than 1 year and now is reading this shocking info. Info at the last monent, without warning early. Someone can repeat his Camino in the next years, but for someone it can be his the last possibility in his life :-(
Yes, this is my last shot. Health issues make 2020 impossible, but disappointments and joys are part of however many days we have left.

€149,-
Yes, this is my last shot. Health issues make 2020 impossible, but disappointments and joys are part of however many days we have left.
I do hope you still walk the Camino if it matters so much to you because, even if there is no botafumeiro in the end, you will probably come to the conclusion - as you advance on your journey - that it doesn’t matter in the least... That’s my opinion anyway, for what it’s worth :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t read anything there about the rooftop tour being closed.

Yup, the news in Spanish say that the cathedral will be open for visitors and only some smaller areas (such as the archeological escavations) will be closed. So hugging the saint, going to Portico de la Gloria will be all there.

Pilgrim mass will be held in a different church, but will also happen - which seems good to me, less mix of pilgrims and turists.

I don’t read anything there about the rooftop tour being closed.
My active knowledge of Spanish is limited but don't these sentences in the two newspaper articles say that the rooftop is closed and there will be no tours sold and guided by the Cathedral museum:
Cubiertas is the roof of the Cathedral, Tribuna is the triforium (first floor gallery).

See also http://www.santiagoturismo.com/percorrido/cubertas-da-catedral : "ROOFTOPS CLOSED FOR RESTORATION IN 2019."

Last edited:
I don't give a hoot about the botafumeiro, but I am disappointed about the pilgrim mass being moved outside the cathedral. No, another pilgrim Mass in a nice nearby church is not the same as Mass in the cathedral. But it doesn't matter to me, and I suspect most long-distance pilgrims won't let it stop them either. However, I wonder if there will be fewer Spanish pilgrims this year, especially walking from Sarria. I wonder if anyone here has thoughts about that.

€149,-
After the long walk I noticed that the Cathedral was looking very tired and in need of repairs last October 2018. Its great news that they are tending to the old place. This famous mass is lovely, but its just a mass and can be enjoyed when it returns. In the meantime embrace the unique opportunity to be a part of new history. Enjoy the change and the walk. Buen Camino to all. ;)

I missed the Botafumero on my first Camino last April, I planned to go back this year hoping to see it. Now I’m debating if I should postpone till next year. I know that’s not the principal reason to go but I certainly had a heart set on seeing it once at least.
I saw the botafumiero swing when I did the Camino in 1989. We didn't see it swing when I walked with my son in 2016 and I was quite disappointed that he missed that experience. But the experience of the Camino was fantastic. I saw it again after my Camino Portuguese last year.

If you have the opportunity to walk another Camino this year, I would do so. You can always walk it a third time in the future to try and capture the experience of the botafumiero. And if no other opportunity emerges to walk the Camino, you'll be glad you walked this year.

Absolutely focus on that. Nice and impressive as it is, the experience of seeing the botafumiero swing is minuscule and minute when compared to the experience of walking the Camino. Not walking the Camino because you won't see the botafumiero swing is like saying "I can't get my fingernails to look the way I want them to so I'm going to cut off my arm."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Oh Dear - not to worry I'm still going- very much looking forward to it 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

I'm kinda hoping that no botafumiero will also mean there won't be a sea of phones videoing. I suspect that sea would bring me down more than being a little sad now not viewing the botafumiero.
Plus it gives me a reason to embark on another Camino later on sometime. 😁

We never did get to see the Botafumiero when we arrived on the eve of St James' Day back in 2013 because, sadly, the horrendous train crash put paid to any celebrations as they were cancelled and although there was a mass for pilgrims some day's later, it was a very muted affair and not one to celebrate to. But we both reasoned that, while it would have been nice to see, it wasn't why we had decided to do the Camino in the first place. We were looking forward to seeing it this year but it is not to be. Again, we won't let this put us off doing the Camino again, specially as it will almost certainly be the last time as we are now both getting older and probably won't be able to complete a third one. But it will definitely be a plus seeing the Cathedral without the outside renovations. And at least we will be allowed to go in and visit various parts of the Cathedral.

Renovations to such a beautiful building have to be done at some time, so that everybody can enjoy it for years to come. Just imagine the joy for everyone once it is back up and running.

Just want to say to people planning to walk this coming year.... and please forgive me using a much used phrase, but it really is about the journey and not the destination. Don't let this put a damper on your Camino. Even just to achieve getting to Santiago, your first steps into that square and first sighting of the Cathedral, that feeling of what you have achieved and the journey you embarked on to get you there. It is indescribable. Yes the butifumero is spectacular, as is the celebration of the pilgrim mass, but what is most spectacular is yourself for getting there!!
Buen Camino beautiful Pilgrims! 😘😘

Yep we heard this while walking the Portugues last year and asked the forum for confirmation but didn't get much of a response.

I saw the Botafumeiro swing on my first Camino, and started weeping, out of nowhere. It was moving and overwhelming. That being said, I didn't see it on my 2nd or 3rd Caminos, and while I was sorry to have missed it, I will never forget that first rush of emotion, which probably can't be captured again. This last time, I went to the Pilgrims' Office first thing the morning after my arrival to get my Compostela, and from there to the Cathedral to hug the saint, and that was the most sublime, emotional experience, with empty streets and a quiet Cathedral. And no line behind me as I embraced Santiago and thanked him for another safe Camino journey.

My meandering point here is that while the Botafumeiro is an amazing experience, there are other amazing experiences to be had, and you will be happily and beautifully surprised when one of them finds you.

Donna, I was just thinking the very same thing ....
Donna, I was just thinking the very same thing ....
Hmm does this mean I have to plan a third camino so I can see the botafumeiro in action?
'Tis a terrible long way to walk just to see a big burny thing hanging from the ceiling :). But if you are planning a second then you probably have the bug and can see it on your third or fourth or maybe even fifth. I have been very lucky and every Mass I have attended in the cathedral has finished with the botafumeiro. But you will enjoy St Francis Basilica. A beautiful church in its own right.

Saw it last year and was hoping my husband would experience it this year .... look forward to visiting St Francis Basillica this year.

Annoying for some, but the walk is the main thing - 'it's not the destination but the journey'!

We have been lucky to see the botafumeiro swing at every one of the Pilgrim Masses we have attended since our first Camino in 2012. While it would be disappointing to not see it this year I would hope that the beautiful singing of the Cathedral Nun can still be heard in the other Churches where the officials are planning to have the Pilgrims Masses. That was an amazing experience for me.

We have been lucky to see the botafumeiro swing at every one of the Pilgrim Masses we have attended since our first Camino in 2012. While it would be disappointing to not see it this year I would hope that the beautiful singing of the Cathedral Nun can still be heard in the other Churches where the officials are planning to have the Pilgrims Masses. That was an amazing experience for me.
I agree the nun- I think is Madre Victoria has the voice of an angel she reduced me to tears last September

Oh no! I am planning myCamino in September of this year and the Pilgrim Mass was so much a part of my Camino.

I usually don't jump on a thread this mature since most things that need to be said have been by others. I have to admit I am totally gratified by the number of people saying they are just going to go anyway and get the most they can from it. When I went in 2017 the front portico of the cathedral was closed and shrouded in scaffolding, so I could not make the climb up the steps and see the handprints and such, but it was still wonderful being there.
I am reminded of the first time as a teenager I went to see the Statue of Liberty in my home in the US. When I finally got to New York to see her, she was wrapped in scaffolding, being restored for the US bi-centennial. Someone told me that I would just have to go back and see her again some time, which of course I did. I told my students the same thing this year when I took them to London and Big Ben was all wrapped up. I told them to enjoy the experience of London, and plan to come back some day to see the tower and parliament restored in the future.
The simple fact is that these wonderful architectural sites need to be maintained and restored if future generations are going to enjoy them. I'm glad it is happening at the cathedral, even if it inconveniences me. Always leave something to go back for. I plan to go back in a couple of years to do it all again, but even if I don't get there, I'm glad they are taking care of the place and for what I was able to experience.
Don't let this stop you. If you can go, then go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't let this stop you. If you can go, then go!

You got the Santiago cathedral, the statue of liberty AND the Big Ben wrapped in scaffolding? Man, let me know when you are in Paris next so I will book my visit to Eifel Tower when you are not there! :p

Joke aside, I totally agree with you. When I finished my camino in 2017 the cathedral was all wrapped. After a second of surprise, there were minutes of happiness thinking "someone is taking care of it" :)
People should definetly just go and enjoy!

I was a bit surprised to read today in newspapers - and later also in other sources such as books and on the website of the Spanish pilgrims association - that the "pilgrims mass" as we know it today was created forty years ago in the Holy Year 1976: En el Año Santo 1976, el arzobispo Angel Suquía, instauró la Misa del Peregrino que hoy conocemos.

You got the Santiago cathedral, the statue of liberty AND the Big Ben wrapped in scaffolding? Man, let me know when you are in Paris next so I will book my visit to Eifel Tower when you are not there! :p

Joke aside, I totally agree with you. When I finished my camino in 2017 the cathedral was all wrapped. After a second of surprise, there were minutes of happiness thinking "someone is taking care of it" :)
People should definetly just go and enjoy!
No, as you can see, no scaffolding around Big Ben (or The Great Bell):

1548762572526.png

The Elizabeth Tower on the other hand isn't looking so grand:

1548763056729.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was a bit surprised to read today in newspapers - and later also in other sources such as books and on the website of the Spanish pilgrims association - that the "pilgrims mass" as we know it today was created forty years ago in the Holy Year 1976: En el Año Santo 1976, el arzobispo Angel Suquía, instauró la Misa del Peregrino que hoy conocemos.

I am not particularly surprised that there was no designated "pilgrims mass" at the time. The number of pilgrims being recorded by the cathedral in the 1970s was miniscule. The Spanish language Wikipedia article on the Camino says that in the 1976 Holy Year only 243 pilgrims were recorded. In 1978 there were only 13. Of course this raises the old old question of whether one has to walk to be a pilgrim but let's not go down that path yet again ;)
stats.jpg

The Spanish language Wikipedia article on the Camino says that in the 1976 Holy Year only 243 pilgrims were recorded. In 1978 there were only 13. Of course this raises the old old question of whether one has to walk to be a pilgrim but let's not go down that path yet again ;)
No, let's not go there but now that you mentioned it my next thought was, of course: they didn't create a designated "pilgrims mass" in the Holy Year 1976 for the sole benefit of the 243 souls who arrived on foot during that year. 🤓

I don't guess that the journey is more important than the destination. I know it is.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous..

I am departing for my journey next week, and I am so thrilled. Does anyone know if Sister Maria Asuncion will be singing in any other church? I would love to hear her in person!
Thanks!

She's amazing, beautiful voicesuch a shame no pilgrims mass in the cathedral.

Hola @t2andreo . I agree with your "Yikes". I have a feeling that this one of two issues - a follow-up to the work on the outside, which I now understand is completed; or its a preparation for the next Holy Year (2021??). But either way I expect there are going to be a large number of disappointed pilgrims, particularly those expecting to see the Botofumerio swing. Cheers
We had hoped to see the Botafumeiro swing at the culmination of our Camino, October 2018, but despite attending 3 pilgrim masses over 4 days, it did not happen. Never mind, the Masses themselves were beautiful and moving and we did not need the censing to know/feel our achievement. Perhaps it will happen at another time, a future Camino, or just within my heart.

Hi! Got this info Fr Manny Domingo (Manny D in this forum), a Filipino priest who did several caminos, now assigned at the Cathedral of Santiago and celebrates the English mass. My camino friends & me were able to attend one last Sept 7 & the service was emotional & a moving experience for us. He even gave us a very short walking tour of the Cathedral & the old city. The ongoing renovation in the Cathedral is in preparation for the Holy Year in 2 years where pilgrim traffic will increase tremendously.

Attachments

• SdC mass.jpg
    SdC mass.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is a comfort to know all of these post are from 2019, the calendar flipped to a new year last week. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh well. We did the camino from Porto last May, and we are going back this May to walk from SdC to Muxia and Finisterre. I was hoping to attend a pilgrim mass in the cathederal, but that will have to wait for another year ;)

Oh well. We did the camino from Porto last May, and we are going back this May to walk from SdC to Muxia and Finisterre. I was hoping to attend a pilgrim mass in the cathederal, but that will have to wait for another year ;)

IIRC the Pilgrim Mass does still take place within the Cathedral, but in a detached side chapel that can obviously not be the entire Romance structure in itself.

That is interesting. Last May it was held in the nearby San Francisco Church (Rua San Francisco). I will check nearer the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is interesting. Last May it was held in the nearby San Francisco Church (Rua San Francisco). I will check nearer the time.

eh, thinking about it again it's not "the pilgrim Mass"™ , but rather a daily Mass at a side chapel.

I’m surprised by the original post as the Cathedral was not being used for any religious Mass in November as the interior is a maze of scaffolding and plastic sheeting. The pilgrim mass was being held at the church of St Francis of Assisi that is joined to a hotel. One positive was that there was no line at all to pay our respects to St. James, compared to the long waiting in line of previous visits.

We have a running joke about scaffolding covering important monuments when we travel. Capital Hill, Big Ben, Santiago Cathedral both outside & inside, Seville Cathedral, and many other landmarks that don’t immediately spring to mind. So glad to hear it’s not only us that think we are jinxed 😄 o_O

I’m surprised by the original post as the Cathedral was not being used for any religious Mass in November as the interior is a maze of scaffolding and plastic sheeting. The pilgrim mass was being held at the church of St Francis of Assisi that is joined to a hotel.
Maybe the original poster @Bradypus or a moderator will have mercy with us and edit the original post to add “2019” after the words “Monday 28 January” as not everybody may immediately notice that the 28th of January is not going to fall on a Monday during this current year 2020 and during the next nine years. OTOH, without such modification, this may be the start of a wonderful tradition of reviving this thread from time to time and exchanging memories of the past and hopes for the future, like many other beloved outdated threads do ... 😎

Maybe the original poster @Bradypus or a moderator will have mercy with us and edit the original post to add “2019” after the words “Monday 28 January” as not everybody may immediately notice that the 28th of January is not going to fall on a Monday during this current year 2020 and during the next nine years.
Done!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.