• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Menu

Ybotrock

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to let everyone know that this site has been extremely helpful in regards to planning our Camino. So, thanks to everyone!

I had a quick question about the Pilgrim Menus offered along the trail. I have recently run into some stomach issues and I am on a restricted diet. Can anyone offer up some examples of what may be included? We will be walking from Leon to Santiago starting next week. I am sure the food changes by region and I am sure that there is quite a bit of variation, but any information would help.

Thanks!
Toby

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did my Camino in 2006 and mostly had pilgrims menus, if you look at my blog on this site, you will get descriptions of the meals, I tend to write about food quite a bit! Usually they are 3 course meals, usually 3 or so choices per course, simple peasant food and I did not once have tummy problems. At the start garlic soup seemed to feature as an entree, trout as a main and dessert was often creme caramel or yoghurt or fruit or some sort of tart. There was usually pasta as an option for entree and mains were a piece of meat, chicken or fish. Wine was included in the menu. Sometimes I cooked, because I craved greens, which tended to be relatively rare on the menu.Breakfast for me was usually coffee and croissant and for lunch I had boccadilla/ a french bread sandwich, frittata or tuna salad. Hope this helps, Gitti

I would advise trying to cook your own meals if you are on a restricted diet and have stomach problems. You can generally find albergues with kitchens along the route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a vegetarian, I often opted for the menu del dia rather than the menu de peregrino. There was always something I could order and usually it cost less than the 10 euro pilgrims' menu.

Depending on what your dietary restrictions are, most places can be accomodating to your needs. I have found traveling with a vegetarian for a bit, it was easy for him to get what he needed. If you are a vegan or gluten intolerant, then you may have some problems finding what you need. I fluctuate between the menu del dia and the pilgrim's menu. I find the amount of food in the menu del dia to be good and the pilgrim's menus to have HUGE portions and it's too much for me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for responding! I appreciate your time.

One more question: What is the biggest difference between the Pigrim Menu and the Menu Del Dia?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pilgrim menu is a set menu for a set price - 3 courses, sometimes soup or salad: fish, chicken or other meat and chips: ice cream, a piece of fruit or a flan, with bread and a bottle of wine or water.
The menú del día, menu of the day is similar, also with a set price, but you can often have several options for the starter and the main meal. If you don't drink wine (like me!) you can have a soft drink instead. Water, bread and a desert are also offered.

Attachments

• menu de dia board.jpg
    menu de dia board.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 3,566
sillydoll said:
The pilgrim menu is a set menu for a set price - 3 courses, sometimes soup or salad: fish, chicken or other meat and chips: ice cream, a piece of fruit or a flan, with bread and a bottle of wine or water.
The menú del día, menu of the day is similar, also with a set price, but you can often have several options for the starter and the main meal. If you don't drink wine (like me!) you can have a soft drink instead. Water, bread and a desert are also offered.
Hi Sillydoll could you please translate the menu board????thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's my attempt at that menu:

1 Lasagne with beef
2vegetable stew, bit like ratatouille
3 Peas with Ham?
4 stew with white beans potatoes and pork
5 stuffed veal?
6 Tuna with tomatoes
7 Pork chop
8 a Stew which includes tripe
9 Veal steak
Somebody with a better grasp of Spanish might provide a better version.

The Spanish are really carnivorous!!

Here is a menu from a little pavement cafe just around the corner from the Cathedral in Santiago.
This is the menu of the house and it also has choices.

And if you don't feel like paying 10 euro, you can choose something from the Platos Combinados menu, which is what I often did.

Attachments

• Camino 2009 085.jpg
    Camino 2009 085.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,092
  • Platos Combinados.jpg
    Platos Combinados.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3,084

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back