• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Numbers roughly pre 1986

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi, has anybody here a good source/link for pilgrim numbers to Santiago in the early 20th century? I can find figures starting 1986 or so, but would like to know earlier ones.
Any help appreciated! Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Spain was pretty unstable before the 1970s. Civil wars, Franco's dictatorship... Pretty safe to assume pilgrims were scarce...

full

Spain was pretty unstable before the 1970s. Civil wars, Franco's dictatorship... Pretty safe to assume pilgrims were scarce...

full
No, Marion-SantiagoIn love. that is not the reason of lack of pilgrims on those years. Spain was not unestable in terms of safety in those times, like tourism boom can testify, but the oposite...
During 1984 ( nine years afther Franco dies, during the worst years in modern Spain, when we was sufferin terrorism like never before) Elias Valiña, the priest of Cebreiro, started the work of his lifetime that work of global importance, the recuperation, delimitation and cleanship of the Camino, painting yellow arrows ( The cans of yellow paint, were a donation of road constructions company) and researching about the ancient Camino; likewise promoting Camino de Santiago Friends societies. Those societies continued and improved this work over the years.
( When the spanish Guardia Civl found him near the french border painting arrows during those fearfull years of terrorism, they asked him what the hell was he doing. His answer was " I´m preparing a invasion")
Six years later, Manuel Fraga Iribarne, a former Franco´s cabinet minister was elected the President of Galician autonomic Goverment and he promoted the Camino de Santiago. In 1993 the UNESCO proclaims el Camino de Santiago Word Heritage, and from this moment started to become a tourist resource. Those circunstances in addition of the symbolic Pilgrimage of Pope J.Pablo II makes the Camino de Santiago more popular along the world.
Later the published of novel, guides etc, in addition of movies, and the internet´s boom , explain the yearly increasing of popularity.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was actually pretty quiet. There were times I wouldn't see anyone for several days. I have seen some statistics that say as many as 95,000 did the Sarria-Santiago (mostly Spanish). I know I turned north to Lugo myself (had to see a real Roman walled city, don't get many of those in the US), so I couldn't tell you how the most traveled route was like. I didn't see anyone for the last two days into Santiago. The office said I was the 17th person that day and the first person from "The Americas" they had seen in two weeks.

Hi, has anybody here a good source/link for pilgrim numbers to Santiago in the early 20th century? I can find figures starting 1986 or so, but would like to know earlier ones.
Any help appreciated! Buen Camino, SY
Interesting to see those early figures. Looks like the camino started getting busier from 1984/5. I walked it first (in part) around 1986 with a sort of hand made credential from the CSJ. I was very touched by people's generousity- there were places along the Way where shopkeepers wouldn't accept payment for bread and we even had some pesetas pressed into our hands in one small village, which I took to be more of a blessing than financial support.
Accommodation got busy onon the last 100km just before St James day, so maybe some things haven't changed!

I'm curious on how many walked during World War II since Spain was non-belligerent during the war.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... I was very touched by people's generousity- there were places along the Way where shopkeepers wouldn't accept payment for bread and we even had some pesetas pressed into our hands in one small village, which I took to be more of a blessing than financial support....
...that's how it was for me following pilgrim trails through Slovenia and Poland (April-August 2015)...

Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back