• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Office (in each town?)

virgo1164

Hello to you all.
I have just become a member,and am planning to walk next summer ,not sure where from at this point. Do all the villages and towns have pilgrim offices or just the towns? Do you need to register at the start of the walk,collect anything,of just do it? As you can see I don't know much and Iam hoping this forum will answer all my question over time.
Jackie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re: pilgrim office

Hi Virgo and welcome here. As you will notice this forum gives a wealth of info.
About your question regarding the pilgrim offices and paperwork take a look at the FAQ on this forum.
Loads of info.

And here this link.
http://www.csj.org.uk/how-to-get-a-credencial.htm

I do not know from which country you are but I would suggest you make yourself a member of your local confraternity of St-James. They do very worthwile work and they can use all our support.

Good luck!

Thank you for that reply,I am just getting familular with this site it is the first forum i have been on and it has taken me the lasped time to find my question.
I am from England. I possably want to start in France

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

There are pilgrim offices in St. Jean Pied de Port, France and Santiago de Compostela, Spain. The one in SJPdP has maps, information sheets, weather, pilgrim credentials, and reservation assistance. In Santiago you can get your Compostela in the Pilgrim Office. Between the two are hundreds of albergues offering accommodations and assistance, and sometimes food. In these albergues, and in chapels, churches, cathedrals, bars, hotels, and restaurants you can get the stamps (sellos) in your credential that show where you have visited. You need two stamps daily in the last 100 km to qualify for walking continuously for at least the last 100 km to qualify for the Compostela. In the large towns there are Tourist Offices that can help with reservations and information.

Thank you for that. Ihave been reading FAQs and it mentions the Society of St James are you a member ,do you know if it worth being a member as i am only in the planning stages.

I am a member of the Confraternity of St James (CSJ) which is the UK association covering all things related to the Caminos to Santiago. Other countries have their own associations.

The CSJ is a group which holds days to talk about the practicalities of being a pilgrim, publishes a newsletter, publishes many guides, runs 2 refugios, issues pilgrim passports and does many other things.

It is worth joining before you go and when you get back you can think of your subscription, if you continue to pay it, as a way of giving something back to the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Just to add to William's post:-
Even if you do not/cannot go to their events the CSJ is very helpful and their guides to the various Caminos are excellent. Their credencial has plenty of space and is too big to lose, but light enough to go in with your guide.
Their website http://www.csj.org.uk/ is very helpful too.
Buen Camino when it comes
Tia Valeria

Hi There,
Could somebody tell me the open hours of the pilgrim office in St. Jean Pied de Port? I am especially interested in Fridays and Saturdays.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Aniko

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HORAIRES D’OUVERTURE.

Vous devez accueillir les pèlerins de 7.30 heures du matin à 22.00 heures ou plus tard suivant l’heure d’arrivée du dernier train.

Vous pouvez fermer l’accueil au moment des repas selon votre disponibilité et en fonction de l’heure d’arrivée des trains.

OPENING HOURS.
We welcome pilgrims from 7.30 to 22.00 hours or later depending on the time of arrival of the last train.
The home may be closed according to the availability of the custodian and the arrival time of trains.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back