• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim office in SJDP

Flatcat

Will the pilgrim office have a list of private hostels and pensions along the Camino ,
I heard they have a list of municipal albergues!

Also is there a difference between a hostel/pension and a private Albergue or are they the same?

All were looking for is a private room that we can lock and our own shower facilities, I have it planned to stay in hotels but if pensions offer the same facilities then I see no reason in spending larger amounts of money in fancier hotels!!
Don't need much, clean bed, shower and a locked door!
Thx again
Clint

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know what the office offers. I have used guides, that lists private and public albergues, either the CSJ guide or Brierly's. Hostals seem to me to be mini hotels, very limited desk service, no or little communal spaces. Pensions have no hotel services and tend to be family owned and living on premise. Some pensions have a bathroom down the hall with a sink in the room or ensuite. They tend to be cheaper than hostals or about the same. Hotels are rated by stars with 1 being the cheapest and so on.
Have fun!

There are many hostels , pensions and Casa rurals along the way. Not all in the guide book. The Brierley gives phone numbers so you can ring and book ahead. Though this is not necessarily a good idea, as you won't know what you are getting. We stayed mostly in albergues but treated ourselves now and then to some privacy and a private bathroom ! We found that you can ask to be shown the room and facilities before you check in, and no offence taken if you decide it's not for you. Pensions often have the bathroom separate, and shared, and cost around 25-40euros for two. Hostels around 35 -45 and hotels around 50euros.
It's been said before on here, but do consider staying in an albergue from time to time, for the experience of being with your fellow pilgrims, sharing stories, fun, getting to know each other. I say this as someone who was scared to death of sleeping in a dorm and grew to love the whole thing - even the snoring and rustling, and wouldn't have missed it for the world. :)
Burn camino !
Helen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
PingHansen said:
I think you can see them for each city at mundicamino.com
I looked at this, very good,
But I find when looking into accommodation it's hard to figure out which ones our pensions/hostels and what are Abergues, too me it looks like everything ever listed is Albergues

I'll have to look into it more thoroughly

Thx
Clint

miguel_gp said:
Black Dog and Amourier put together a very comprehensive list of Albergues between SJPDP and Finisterre. It can be downloaded from the forum here.
Thx
Is it easy to look at the signage and determine what is a Albergue and what is a Penision/hostel
Clint

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The albergues will almost always have an sign with albergue in the name, and usually a shell.
The others will have similar signs to what you would see elsewhere in Europe.

Roncesvalles has no ATM, nothing to do with this discussion other than what you get from the office in
Saint Jean Peid de port.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back