• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim office not giving out numbers after 2:00 pm??

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
A friend who is in Santiago now has been having breakfast with a woman who is working in the Pilgrims Office. She told her that they are not giving out numbers for the compostela after 2 pm, and many pilgrims are very upset. Is this true?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have just been chatting with a friend in Santiago. This was their reply:
"It is true. The time changes each day. Depending on the volumes. But, I hear the system is working well - you collect a number, go away and check on your phone when to return.

When you return at the alloted time - no queue and therefore no waiting.
Yesterday they stopped issuing numbers by around 3pm.
Because they knew they had enough pilgrims to keep them busy until closing time.
"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well the system certainly doesn't work well for those of us without a mobile phone
Of course, you don't need a mobile phone for the new system. You can still wait for hours at the Pilgrims Office until it is your turn. I guess in the past people were not turned away because enough people gave up on getting a Compostela on that day as soon as they saw the long queues ...

Yes, I understand that the process was fully explained. I was just surprised that pilgrims arriving in the early afternoon would be turned away.
A fellow peregrina received number 1187 at around 13:00 today. I had scanned her QR code for her, and just now when I check the website more than five hours later they are on number 1060
Screenshot_20190914-183450_Firefox.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A fellow peregrina received number 1187 at around 13:00 today. I had scanned her QR code for her, and just now when I check the website more than five hours later they are on number 1060
Doesn't that illustrate exactly why they are not giving out numbers after about 2 pm?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well the system certainly doesn't work well for those of us without a mobile phone
Well then do what people did before smart phones and before this new system, wait. Or do what I used to do. Get up really early and go to the pilgrim office about 6AM. Don't know how it would be now but last year on November 1st I got there early enough to get the Pilgrim lunch.

Well then do what people did before smart phones and before this new system, wait. Or do what I used to do. Get up really early and go to the pilgrim office about 6AM. Don't know how it would be now but last year on November 1st I got there early enough to get the Pilgrim lunch.
Did you get there early enough to get one of the free tickets to the Pórtico de la Gloria? I think they have 25 of those to give every day.

Did you get there early enough to get one of the free tickets to the Pórtico de la Gloria? I think they have 25 of those to give every day.
It is rather hard on those who would like to get their Compostela but arrive in Santiago later in the afternoon and have to leave very early the next morning. Or would you just tell them that they should have planned it better 🙄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or would you just tell them that they should have planned it better 🙄
No, I sympathize. And at the same time they should know that even when there were queues, that might have been a tight timeframe. Possibly not. But if someone really wants that Compostela, then there IS wisdom in planning an extra day in Santiago to make sure they have the time to get it. (Besides, it's a wonderful city, well worth spending a day in before going home.)

I was one of the first 10 people and they gave me the ticket for lunch. There was no mention to any of us about free tickets for the Portico de la Gloria. If there was I missed it completely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I read somewhere that on certain days the free tickets to the Portico of Glory are given to locals rather than pilgrims.

I was one of the first 10 people and they gave me the ticket for lunch. There was no mention to any of us about free tickets for the Portico de la Gloria. If there was I missed it completely.
My wife and I were offered both this year. We turned down the meal at Enxebre as we were already staying at the Hostal dos Reis Católicos and felt it was best for others but went to the Portico de Gloria. Very enjoyable. It had me wondering after and wished I had remembered to ask if it will continue to be the way to view it or if it will used again as a public entrance.

wished I had remembered to ask if it will continue to be the way to view it or if it will used again as a public entranc
During the viewing I was on, someone asked the docent that and she said no, it will not be the public entrance again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can someone tell me please (@t2andreo) if it’s too busy can you return at a later date (maybe weeks later) and collect your compostela?

I will be one of those pilgrims with very limited time. I don’t mind queuing or going first thing in the morning... but if it's too busy I might be able to return later in the year too. Would this cause any problems with getting a compostela? If I walk in September but visit in December?

And would they issue me with two for two different walks at different times?

Last edited:
Well then do what people did before smart phones and before this new system, wait. Or do what I used to do. Get up really early and go to the pilgrim office about 6AM.

I had already bought my ticket for the Portico of Glory but did indeed join the queue at 7.15 the following morning - my main concern was for the poor security guard who had to spend hours telling people that there would be no more tickets handed out that afternoon when a notice on the door would have been much better for all concerned

It is not the end of the world if you do not get a Compostela, it is just a piece of paper, you have walked your walk, you know in your heart what you have achieved. If you wish to show others your achievement just me too that you have walked the Camino. Some people will know what you are on about and then may share their experiences with you. Others will not have a clue what you are banging on about, unless they speak Latin a certificate in Latin will not further there understanding. If I was worried that my friends would not believe I had competed a Camino without seeing the certificate I would be more concerned that my friends don't trust what I say. I queued for my Compostela and pains for a tube to keep it safe. Needless to say it is still in the tube somewhere in my house. I know how far and how hard I walked and that is all that matters to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I read somewhere that on certain days the free tickets to the Portico of Glory are given to locals rather than pilgrims.

The first 10 pilgrims in queue are offered the free lunch at the Parador. Surprisingly not all take it. So, they must sometimes go higher than the first 120 people to give the free meals away.

The first 25 pilgrims in line are offered free passes to see the Portico de La Gloria. These are rather expensive and always involve lines. The pass is usually for a 19:00 time slot that evening. You do not have to stand in any queue and proceed directly inside. As with the free meal, not everyone is interested or available to go this visit. So, they must usually go higher than 25 to give the free passes away.

I have been there and seen people say, "no thank you...I have a bus/train/plane to catch this afternoon..."

This is done Monday - Saturday. On SUNDAY, the free passes go to the local population.

Moral of this account... if you want free stuff go early and be among the fire 10 in line.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is not the end of the world if you do not get a Compostela, it is just a piece of paper, you have walked your walk, you know in your heart what you have achieved.

For me (particularly this year) it is really important. I do have a collection already but everyone is important to me (along with the friendships, credential and photos I amassed as a I walked). This year in particular I'd like to dedicate my compostela so it's a little different.

The first 10 pilgrims in queue are offered the free lunch at the Parador. Surprisingly not all take it. So, they must sometimes go higher than the first 120 people to give the free meals away.

The first 25 pilgrims in line are offered free passes to see the Portico de La Gloria. These are rather expensive and always involve lines. The pass is usually for a 19:00 time slot that evening. You do not have to stand in any queue and proceed directly inside. As with the free meal, not everyone is interested or available to go this visit. So, they must usually go higher than 25 to give the free passes away.

I have been there and seen people say, "no thank you...I have a bus/train/plane to catch this afternoon..."

This is done Monday - Saturday. On SUNDAY, the free passes go to the local population.

Moral of this account... if you want free stuff go early and be among the fire 10 in line.
Maybe when I went it was a Sunday. I don't remember.

Or, perhaps you went before they started giving out the Portico tickets? This only started this past Spring, like in early May.

In any event, if there are 25 keen folks in the front of the queue at office opening, you could be out of luck by 08:15...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But if someone really wants that Compostela, then there IS wisdom in planning an extra day in Santiago to make sure they have the time to get it
And that extra day might be handy in making sure you can get to Santiago in time to get a certificate.

And, as for me, while I got a welcome certificate it certainly isn't a treasure. I worked a lot harder and longer (years) for other things that ended with a certificate and it would probably take me a week to find them if I cared to.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back