• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim office statistics

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Does anyone have information about the pilgrim office website? Their monthly statistics page seems to have no updates since July.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think they lost their data guy. Without the monthly summaries, my data is approximate, however compostelas in July were approximately 51,000 compared to 50,868 last year. August were approximately 59,000 compared to 60,420 last year. The daily average for September is 1,408 compared to 1,567 last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The daily average for September is 1,408 compared to 1,567 last year

Is it possible to know how many "tickets" were given out each day? Would that be a closer approximation? Based on other threads, it would seem that they are maxing out every day this month.

I saw a number saying 1850 last Friday. From what I have heard, they have never had so many starting from SJPDP as this year in September.

Does anyone have information about the pilgrim office website? Their monthly statistics page seems to have no updates since July.

Erase your browser history to get rid of old, inaccurate pages stored there.

Then reload the home page: http://oficinadelperegrino.com/

DO NOT LOAD THE ENGLISH PAGE ... it has a /EN after the URL.

The Spanish home page works just fine. I just loaded it. The English page has not worked for months. No, I do not know why. But numbers are numbers...

Instead of relying on the web page in English, i use the Chrome built-in translation capability That always works.

If you do this from day to day and it seems like the number did not change, RELOAD the page.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tried that with no success. Also tried two other browsers in Windows 10 and three browsers on an Android phone. Can't get the July and August statistics on any of them on either the Spanish or English versions of the website.

@t2andreo, there are currently two major bugs on the website of the Oficina. Your advice addresses the other one, not the one that the OP is asking about. It cannot be difficult to mend this but as someone suspected in another thread, it looks like the guy or woman who knows is no longer there ...

I just wonder how they will be able to produce reliable numbers after the introduction of the new system. If they do not edit more than 1.500 compostelas/day, this does not allow them to conclued, that only 1.500 pilgrims have arrived. They do not count those, who arrived and went to the pilgrim-office but did not get a ticket, because they were too late for that day. If they have no time left to come back the other day, they will disappear in the official statistics.

I also wonder why the official home-page of the pilgrims office does not refer to the new system and does not mention the possibility to send your data to the office in advance. To me it seems that the system is still Imperfect.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just wonder how they will be able to produce reliable numbers after the introduction of the new system.
The numbers are as reliable as they have always been: the data show the number of pilgrims who got a Compostela. The data never said anything about the number of pilgrims who arrived and wanted a Compostela, let alone the number of pilgrims who arrived.

The numbers are as reliable as they have always been: the data show the number of pilgrims who got a Compostela. The data never said anything about the number of pilgrims who arrived and wanted a Compostela, let alone the number of pilgrims who arrived.
Not sure I agree. No figures to back it up - just my own impression that the proportion of those who choose not a receive a Compostela seems to be increasing. On my earlier Caminos I can't recall meeting or hearing of anyone who did not intend to ask for a Compostela at the end of their journey. But I am hearing and reading that a lot these days. Some who are overtly non-religious and do not see the point of a church document. A few who are only really passing through Santiago and see Finisterre or Muxia as their real ultimate destination. A growing number of repeat offenders who already have one or more Compostelas and feel no need for another one. And quite a few who are put off by the time it takes at busy periods. It feels as if the number who go officially unnoticed is rising though by definition that would be hard to prove!

I just wonder how they will be able to produce reliable numbers after the introduction of the new system. If they do not edit more than 1.500 compostelas/day, this does not allow them to conclued, that only 1.500 pilgrims have arrived. They do not count those, who arrived and went to the pilgrim-office but did not get a ticket, because they were too late for that day. If they have no time left to come back the other day, they will disappear in the official statistics.

I also wonder why the official home-page of the pilgrims office does not refer to the new system and does not mention the possibility to send your data to the office in advance. To me it seems that the system is still Imperfect.

The daily count is not based on how many QR tickets were issued. It is based on each line of data on each sheet of estadillo data. As each row of new data is entered to the computer, the automated counter ticks up one more pilgrim. Later in the day, once all the estadillo sheets are found and processed, an accurate count can be determined.

The difference in QR tickets vs. actual numbers processed is usually the influence of groups. Groups do not get one QR code per pilgrim in the group. I do not believe they even use the QR ticket number system for groups. Groups are handled offline.

Having to enter data every time you talk to a pilgrim is one of the MAJOR built in delays to the actual counter process, whether for a group or individual. Sooner or later, all the data must be input to the computer.

Presently part of the process immediately following each counter interaction is that the person you just got your Compostela, etc. from has to key your data. Only after they do this, can they tell "Señor Bong" to send them another pilgrim.

I have suggested that they hire one or more data entry people who can work in the back room / upstairs wherever... doing only data entry from the estadillo forms we all fill out. As the 20-row sheets are completed they can be picked up or dropped in a central place for the data entry person to retrieve and enter to the system. Specialization yields faster cycle time.

This idea has not percolated enough to be accepted as someone else's great idea yet. So, I remain hopeful.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it possible to know how many "tickets" were given out each day? Would that be a closer approximation? Based on other threads, it would seem that they are maxing out every day this month.
Hi we arrived in Santiago last Friday evening having walked the Camino Inglés from Ferrol. On Saturday morning three of my friends - this was their 1st Camino - joined the queue at around 10.15 with tickets numbered in the 800s. They queued for a while but wanted to go to the pilgrim mass at 12 and left the queue. They returned after mass to find that they were now numbered in the 500s. As they were leaving later that day, they reluctantly left the queue without a compostela. Does anyone know if there was a reason why the numbers were so high last weekend, or is this now the norm. I personally didn't enjoy the Camino Inglés as much as others I have done and decided not to apply for the compostela.

Hi we arrived in Santiago last Friday evening having walked the Camino Inglés from Ferrol. On Saturday morning three of my friends - this was their 1st Camino - joined the queue at around 10.15 with tickets numbered in the 800s. They queued for a while but wanted to go to the pilgrim mass at 12 and left the queue. They returned after mass to find that they were now numbered in the 500s. As they were leaving later that day, they reluctantly left the queue without a compostela. Does anyone know if there was a reason why the numbers were so high last weekend, or is this now the norm. I personally didn't enjoy the Camino Inglés as much as others I have done and decided not to apply for the compostela.
Why did they not make use of the QR code and monitor the queue from somewhere more comfortable?

I think the lesson learned for future pilgrims during "Peak" seasons - Don't expect to arrive in Santiago and get your compostella the same day. Allow a day (or 2) in town to insure you'll get processed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why did they not make use of the QR code and monitor the queue from somewhere more comfortable?
Being first timers they probably didn't know about that and actually, neither did I! Although disappointed it didn't detract from their joy in completing this section, and they have all expressed an interest in doing more.

I have suggested that they hire one or more data entry people who can work in the back room / upstairs wherever... doing only data entry from the estadillo forms we all fill out. As the 20-row sheets are completed they can be picked up or dropped in a central place for the data entry person to retrieve and enter to the system. Specialization yields faster cycle time.

This idea has not percolated enough to be accepted as someone else's great idea yet. So, I remain hopeful.

Hope this helps.
I did a stint in the office in 2017 and am considering doing it again. I would gladly spend time just doing the data entry to speed things up, however it could be difficult. Other people's writing can be tricky to read sometimes. They might use words in their own language. Eg occupations. Some pilgrims put their country of origin, some put their town. Without being on the spot to query there could be dome confusion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[Q
I, for one, do not want to be inconvenienced on the Camino. Those volunteers should work longer, harder, and faster. Don't they understand what I have just been through?

I am going our for some whine with my dinner.
I hope this reply wasn't aimed at me. I only wanted to clarify the position for my first time friends. I very much appreciate the work of the volunteers in the the office and everywhere along all the various caminos and all the wonderful help posted on this forum. I was in no way criticising anyone - just asking a question on behalf of my friends.
UOTE="falcon269, post: 788913, member: 3000"]
I, for one, do not want to be inconvenienced on the Camino. Those volunteers should work longer, harder, and faster. Don't they understand what I have just been through?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree. No figures to back it up - just my own impression that the proportion of those who choose not a receive a Compostela seems to be increasing. On my earlier Caminos I can't recall meeting or hearing of anyone who did not intend to ask for a Compostela at the end of their journey. But I am hearing and reading that a lot these days. Some who are overtly non-religious and do not see the point of a church document. A few who are only really passing through Santiago and see Finisterre or Muxia as their real ultimate destination. A growing number of repeat offenders who already have one or more Compostelas and feel no need for another one. And quite a few who are put off by the time it takes at busy periods. It feels as if the number who go officially unnoticed is rising though by definition that would be hard to prove!
There are also those of us who have completed more than one Camino, and already have the Compostela beautifully framed at home....and don’t need another one. The last two times I was in Santiago it was raining horribly, and I was so tired I just couldn’t do it. I also tried to explore the possibility of doing the process by post or online...but got nowhere.

[Q

I hope this reply wasn't aimed at me. I only wanted to clarify the position for my first time friends. I very much appreciate the work of the volunteers in the the office and everywhere along all the various caminos and all the wonderful help posted on this forum. I was in no way criticising anyone - just asking a question on behalf of my friends.

[/QUOTE]

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[Q

[/QUOTE]

I note the intended sarcasm and humor. I get it. However, for everyone else out there, allow me to clarify on one point.

To serve as a volunteer, you MUST have walked at least one Camino, ANY valid Camino qualifies. So, each of the volunteers behind the counter, or wandering about like me, have been on the front side of the counter too...

Hope this helps.

I hope this reply wasn't aimed at me.
It is not. There are three or more active threads pillorying the volunteers and the Office. It is a general aiming about pilgrims demanding rather than asking, and seeing things only from one's own point of view. I have stood in the long lines and I have seen volunteers laboring for hours at a repetitive job receiving compliments and hostility for an entire summer, all for no money. No one is required to stand in a line. If the rainbow at the end of the line is not worth it, don't stand in the line. Resenting those ahead of you in the line is pointless, and resenting the volunteers is even more pointless.

It is not. There are three or more active threads pillorying the volunteers and the Office. It is a general aiming about pilgrims demanding rather than asking, and seeing things only from one's own point of view. I have stood in the long lines and I have seen volunteers laboring for hours at a repetitive job receiving compliments and hostility for an entire summer, all for no money. No one is required to stand in a line. If the rainbow at the end of the line is not worth it, don't stand in the line. Resenting those ahead of you in the line is pointless, and resenting the volunteers is even more pointless.
Thank you. I agree with your comments.

€46,-
On Thursday I arrived at the last mile around 1330 and the security guard at the pilgrim office directed me to return Friday. My friend and I were in line at 0745 for 0800 opening (in the pouring rain) and we were #’s 194 and 195. We had our Compostela by 1030.
HOWEVER, my efforts to get out of Santiago that day to get to Barcelona for the weekend were futile. Apparently because of many pilgrims and some sort of ‘congress’, everything was backlogged to leave Santiago. I finally ended up taking an all day train Saturday and a kind stranger offered me assistance navigating the change in rail cars in Madrid. She then had her partner pick us up at the station, toured the city (it was midnight), took me to their home, I showered, they fed me breakfast and got me to airport for 3 flights home this morning. That was the extension of the good will of my Camino!! Note to self - make sure pre booking is done for travel arrangements out of Santiago! No one to blame but me!! My plan to spend to weekend in Barcelona was lost but I met marvellous people that invited me back (and I invited them to Canada 🇨🇦)!!
NancyLee

The Pilgrim Office makes changes to the daily total that are not posted, but have made their way into the totals when they are published. Since the monthly totals are not being posted, here are my totals for September from the daily post:

Last year was 47,006. The 2010 Holy Year was 36,870.

The Pilgrim Office makes changes to the daily total that are not posted, but have made their way into the totals when they are published. Since the monthly totals are not being posted, here are my totals for September from the daily post:

Last year was 47,006. The 2010 Holy Year was 36,870.
Interesting. So September totals this year are actually down on last year. But overall there has been growth because it has just been announced that the total this year has reached 300,000 two weeks earlier than the same landmark number last year. I wonder where the shift has been towards?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting. So September totals this year are actually down on last year.
Looks like it.

Pilgrim #200,000 arrived on 2 August and pilgrim #300,000 arrived on 1 October.

Last year's total for August and September was slightly higher: 107,421 according to their website.

Last edited:
In this article, they say that "more than 45,000 pilgrims obtained a Compostela in September 2019. This is a slight decrease from 47,000 in the same month last year".

Whether 45,000 or 44,000 in September, it also means that there was a slight decrease in August 2019. A bit odd, isn't it? Less pilgrims or just less people going to the Pilgrims Welcome Office?

Last edited:
Whether 45,000 or 44,000 in September, it also means that there was a slight decrease in August 2019. A bit odd, isn't it? Less pilgrims or just less people going to the Pilgrims Welcome Office?
Since the Compostela count is the only readily available solid number for comparisons it is pretty hard to tell if this is a genuine decrease or a sign that more people are not troubling the pilgrim office on arrival. But overall this year the numbers are up so far. So if those extra bodies are not turning up in September when are they arriving instead?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But overall this year the numbers are up so far. So if those extra bodies are not turning up in September when are they arriving instead?
I don't quite understand. They have already arrived. I’ve now worked it out on the back of an old envelope. And yes I had fun 🥳. Edited to update the table as of 3 January 2020:

Month(s)
Pilgrims
Increase
(since 2018)
Increase
in %
January & February
3,800​
0​
0%​
March & April
39,000​
+6,000​
18%​
May
46,500​
+6,000​
15%​
June
49,000​
+3,500​
7%​
July
53,500​
+2,500​
5%​
August
63,000​
+2,500​
4%​
September
45,500​
-3%
October
36,000​
+500​
1%​
November
8,200​
+600​
8%​
December
2,700​
+200​
6%​
Total 2019
+20,000
6%
Numbers are rounded.
3 January 2020

Last edited:
I don't quite understand. They have already arrived.
Apologies - my phrasing might have been misleading. Clearly they have already arrived or the increase overall would not have been noted :cool: What I intended to ask was in which periods that increase had occurred given that there has been a decrease in September. Many thanks to you and your envelope for making the information so clear!

Last edited:
my phrasing might have been misleading
The use of tenses in other languages ... I know I will never ever master this. "Czech pop music singer Karel Gott dies at 80", titles the Washington Post today. How can it be that he dies in present tense today on Wednesday, when he already died on Tuesday 🤔? Each time bewildering when I see such headlines, and I've seen them many times before. 😎

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The use of tenses in other languages ... I know I will never ever master this. "Czech pop music singer Karel Gott dies at 80", titles the Washington Post today. How can it be that he dies in present tense today on Wednesday, when he already died on Tuesday 🤔? Each time bewildering when I see such headlines, and I've seen them many times before. 😎

A cultural foible, I think. I have noticed how american historians often use the present tense when describing historical events. For example, an example of an oral description of JEB Stuart's participation at Gettysburg: "He takes his cavalry and rides to the north...'. Maybe it makes it more vivid, or 'real-time'.

As for newspaper headlines generally, it can sometimes be '...dead at 80' instead of '...dies at 80'. Perhaps by using the latter they can give the impression that they are reporting it as it happens and are thus offering a 'scoop'. It does sound odd though, in my opinion. But what I find really grinds my gears is when a journalist writes 'this reporter/your correspondent' instead of 'I'.

But maybe we should now revert back to the main topic...!

I have noticed how american historians often use the present tense when describing historical events
Yes, you are right, it's even called historical present. Other languages have it, too, it's just that it's not always used in identical situations across these languages. Perhaps I have a bit of a hangup about tenses. On my first attempt to learn Spanish, I gave up in frustration when the course went beyond present tense. Learning the grammatical forms of verbs is one thing but using them correctly is quite another.
But maybe we should now revert back to the main topic...!
True. Except that there's not much left to say on the topic of monthly statistics until we reach / have reached / will have reached the 1st of November. 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interestingly, another recent article about Pamplona and Navarra states that in general, during the summer months of June, July and August, the number of overnight stays and the duration of stays of visitors has increased, compared to last year, while the data from the municipal pilgrims albergues show a slight decrease of 0,76% (what does it mean - a few hundred?). Fewer pilgrims overall, maybe just because of the two heat waves, or just fewer pilgrims in the public albergues but not elsewhere? Who knows ...

A message in my FB feed stated that yesterday, Monday 21 October 2019, the number of pilgrims who were registered by the Oficina del Peregrino in Santiago since January surpassed the total number of pilgrims for last year (327.378).

By the end of December, the total for 2019 is expected to be a little under 350.000.

A message in my FB feed stated that yesterday, Monday 21 October 2019, the number of pilgrims who were registered by the Oficina del Peregrino in Santiago since January surpassed the total number of pilgrims for last year (327.378).
Interesting. Usually La Voz de Galicia or El Correo Gallego are quick to publish such news but I have seen no mention it in the local news websites. Is the source of your information a public one?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the officially reported data for the first six months of the year, there were 16,000 more compostelas issued, so a substantial increase is indicated. The daily averages for July, August, and September are below last year, so the last half of the year may show little increase over last year. The Pilgrim Office always made database corrections without them being reflected in the reported daily arrivals. Without the monthly update of totals, there is no public information on trends. I tally daily numbers, and in October the daily average to date is 1,248 compared to last year's 1,148.

I mentioned this earlier, perhaps in another thread, but I believe the reason for the very slight increases in some months of 2019, or even a slight DECREASE in September, is likely caused by the Cathedral being offline and the Botafumeiro remaining in storage until the Cathedral renovation is completed in time for the late 2020 opening of the 2021 Holy Year. I believe this will coincide with the beginning of the new Liturgical Year in November 2020.

Whew, that was a long sentence. But you get the point...

Beyond the expected increase in pilgrims during ANY Holy Year, there will be pent up demand from 2018, 2019, and most of 2020. This extra demand surge in 2021 will be caused by pilgrims who deferred their pilgrimage to Santiago because the Cathedral experience was somehow less.

Also, many groups, who might have paid for the Botafumeiro (€450) to be used at a Pilgrim Mass they attended, could not do this during some of 2018, all of 2019, and much of 2020. This, alone, represents a huge offset in likely pilgrim volumes for 2019.

This is why I do not plan to walk in 2021. I will be at the Pilgrim Office for a second month, likely around Semana Santa. If you would like to work as a volunteer in the Pilgrim Office, click on the BLUE link in my signature below.

Hope this helps.

The Pilgrim Office always made database corrections without them being reflected in the reported daily arrivals. Without the monthly update of totals, there is no public information on trends. I tally daily numbers, and in October the daily average to date is 1,248 compared to last year's 1,148.
That's reassuring to know. I'm not too far off the mark then, I've got a daily average to date of 1,244 🙃. I'm currently also amusing myself with tallying daily numbers for October 2019.

Some time ago, I did some calculations, based on the published monthly totals and the dates when they had reached pilgrims #100,000, #200,000 and #300,000 and it drove me nuts that I couldn't make the information fit to the last digit. I hadn't realised that they make database corrections that are not reflected in the numbers they publish every day for the previous day's arrivals. Although I think you mentioned it a few times.

I'm currently maintaining two tables, for my amusement and for reference for anyone else whose interested, here (daily arrivals October 2019) and here in this thread (rounded monthly totals for 2019 and growth rates).

Last edited:
Interesting. Usually La Voz de Galicia or El Correo Gallego are quick to publish such news but I have seen no mention it in the local news websites. Is the source of your information a public one?
The information that last year's total number of pilgrims registered by the Pilgrims Office has been reached was posted in a French speaking group on Facebook. The poster is a PO volunteer..

Last edited:
I am not convinced that the growth rates have much to do with the fact whether the Botafumeiro swings or not and I wonder whether this can be read from the published Compostela statistics or from one's gut 🤔🙂. First of all, the groups who pay for the Botafumeiro may - in the majority - not be the groups that walk on foot and get a Compostela, so they will not appear in the PO statistics.

I've recently decided to drop Excel for good and use Numbers in future so I'm currently amusing myself with creating all sorts of simple tables.

The year on year growth rates for Compostelas for 2014-2019, rounded to the nearest integer, have been: 9%, 9%, 6%, 8%, 8%, 6%. Are these actually huge variations from which one can conclude much if anything? I don't think so, other than there are more recipients of a Compostela every year. The overwhelming majority are not long-distance pilgrims where "not long-distance" means that they don't walk long distances and they don't come from very far away. The weather, the perceived economic situation at home, targeted PR actions, and many other factors influence these numbers and whether or not they walk Caminos may be a very short term decision.

It's also useful to convert these percentages into actual numbers. The growth figures (rounded to nearest 10.000) for 2014-2019: a plus of 22.000, 25.000, 15.000, 23.000, 26.000, and 23.000 pilgrims compared to the number of pilgrims in the previous year. Again, not terribly huge annual variations imho.

Last edited:
Oooh, something is happening on the Oficina's statistics webpage. No new monthly figures but colourful infographics.

Oficina 09-2019.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oooh, something is happening on the Oficina's statistics webpage. No new monthly figures but colourful infographics.

View attachment 66281
Very strange. Just looked on my phone. The new version of the statistics gives percentages for all sorts of things for the past few months but does not mention any actual numbers. An odd omission. I wonder why?

Very strange. Just looked on my phone. The new version of the statistics gives percentages for all sorts of things for the past few months but does not mention any actual numbers. An odd omission. I wonder why?
@Bradypus, we posted at the same time. I don't know what it looks like on your phone. I had a look at it with Chrome and Safari under MacOS and on the iPad.

Last edited:
Just had a look on my laptop. Been able to see actual figures for all the individual categories on passing the cursor over the pie chart sections. Still haven't found the monthly total though. I think the new version of the statistics page may have been created by a games fan with a fondness for Easter eggs! Pretty but less informative than plain text would be.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just had a look on my laptop. Been able to see actual figures for all the individual categories on passing the cursor over the pie chart sections. Still haven't found the monthly total though. I think the new version of the statistics page may have been created by a games fan with a fondness for Easter eggs! Pretty but less informative than plain text would be.
Not a homo ludens then, are you ;)? I've not yet made up my mind what is most useful for the majority of viewers, black figures in either absolute or in percentage form or these doughnut charts.

I haven't found totals yet. But did you notice this: if you touch (or click) on a small rectangle next to a chart, the corresponding section or sector is removed from the chart and the remaining sectors are enlarged, i.e. you can retrieve the absolute number for the tiny sectors in this way.

Not just an issue with Chrome - the statistics page doesn't adjust for screen size on any of the 3 browsers on my phone. So much of the information is not accessible. And I can't help feeling that having to click on or pass over all the subdivisions of a category and manually add up the figures to reach a total is less convenient than a simple figure stated clearly somewhere obvious. Call me a Luddite if you like :cool:

0.06% arrived by wheelchair. What's that in absolute numbers?

€46,-
The Comparativa option doesn't work for 2018, it seems, but for 2017 you get a lot of coloured graphs that may actually provide one or the other useful information. Tip: If you click on one of the lines in the legend on the right, the corresponding data will be removed, ie you can filter them out. As an example, below are the travel/vacation pattern of pilgrims from various continents in comparison to each other, ie pretty much the same for pilgrims from far away and distinctly different when compared to Europe. You can also do this by individual country.

Comparativa.jpg

Last edited:
0.06% arrived by wheelchair. What's that in absolute numbers?
The percentages always refer to the total for the month, so the absolute number obviously depends on the month. To find out for September 2019 for example, I went to the doughnut chart and then clicked on Pie and Bicicleta. This hides these two sectors and allows the remaining three sectors to expand. Moving the cursor to the sector for Silla de ruedas displays the number: 32 wheelchair pilgrims.

Silla de ruedas.jpg

See https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas2/

Last edited:
I'm on a phone so accessing the data is painful. Thank you for providing the relief!

That's a lot of determined pilgrims. Brava to them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those of us who are no longer driven to obtain yet another Compostela to add to our collections, this year, when I am working at the office, I plan to push for a visible "solo sello' location, in the Pilgrim Office or somewhere close.

Each year, I try to make a small improvement to leave things better than I found them. This is my windmill for 2020...

My point is that more and more pilgrims only want the official Cathedral stamp to signify they made it to Santiago and the Cathedral. Actually, when you receive a Compostela, the staff affix TWO sellos to your credencial.

The first goes just after the last sello in your credencial, just as another albergue, hostal or cafe sello would. This is intended to be the last one. It signifies you made it to the Cathedral.

The second sello goes at the bottom of the inside front cover of your credential. Once this second sello is affixed, your credential is CLOSED. From that point onward, that credencial cannot be used to obtain a Compostela...PERIOD! But, and if you did not want a Compostela anyway, this is no problem...right?

Still, more and more pilgrims just want the sellos. Up until now, when a pilgrim asked, sometimes after waiting for an hour or more, they were pulled out of line given their sellos immediately and sent along...

Also, pilgrims will frequently approach the security guys at the front entry and ask just for stamps / sellos. Again, this is taken care of immediately at no cost. The guards will either take them into the adjacent group office and affix the two stamps, or a volunteer, like me, will take them into an office to do it, whatever gets it done quickly...

But, at present. you have to know to ask. What I am going to propose is largish signage that can be seen at the entry advertising this optional choice, and at the QR number kiosks downstairs in the pilgrim waiting room...

My goal is to have the capability to provide the solo sello closeout to a pilgrimage in the entry vestibule or downstairs in the large pilgrim waiting room, BEFORE you take a number from the QR ticket kiosk.

It is my hope that this might remove a small percentage of pilgrims from the queuing process. This, in turn, helps, move all the others along. It may not be felt much in 2020. However, in the 2021 Holy Year, it could make a significant difference.

Hope this helps.

Crossed fingers...

Last edited:
That's a good idea although I can see resistance from the church authorities to the idea that they are making it easier for pilgrims to eschew a compostela. However, it would certainly reduce the pressure on the office.

Another new feature is the option “Comparativa” for a full year.
Here's an example: number of pilgrims by nationality throughout the year, pulled from https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas2/. In this example: Spanish, US American and South Korean pilgrims by month. Contrary to popular belief, South Koreans do not walk mainly during the winter months. Note that the scale of the y-axis ("Peregrinos") is not identical for the 3 graphs.

Spain:
Spain 2017.jpg

USA:
USA 2017.jpg

South Korea:
South Korea 2017.jpg

Last edited:
And last but not least: popularity of the Camino Invierno and the Camino Frances by month. Needless to say that these are graphs based on the arrival statistics produced by the SdC Pilgrims Office. They don't give you a snapshot of the whole Frances during a particular month, for example.

Invierno:
Invierno 2017.jpg

Frances:
Frances 2017.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here's an example: number of pilgrims by nationality throughout the year
Interesting. About 100 South Koreans in December. Is that for the first part of this December 2019? On November 10 I walked from Puente la Reina to Pamplona and encountered 10 Koreans during my time at the Alto de Perdón. Presumably they would arrive at Santiago in December. And this was just for one day.

Is that for the first part of this December 2019?
The graphs are all for 2017. I wanted to illustrate the "Comparativa" function. As I mentioned earlier, a full set of data for a whole year is required for the "Comparativa" function and the function doesn't work for 2018. The actual numbers are less important than the patterns which don't change much from year to year. The Oficina website does the graphs for you, no need to copy-paste into Excel (or Numbers). ☺

The statistics page of the Santiago Pilgrims Office has been updated. It now has overviews for 2019. If interested, go to https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas2/ (older urls will not work) and explore both the static pdf file (2019 DESCARGAR) and the interactive section (2019 COMPARATIVA) where you can filter data by clicking on the small coloured squares that are the keys for the graphics.

Erm ... this may not work for everyone. I can't do the Comparativa on the iPhone and I can't get the pdf on the iMac but both options work on the iPad. Same browser on all three devices. 😂:rolleyes:

PO data 2019.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Comparativa function is really nice. For example, look at the 2019 graph for South Corea (click away all the other countries). How many times have you read that Coreans walk mainly in winter? Nothing could be further from the truth!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back