• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Pilgrim Office Status Report

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
I have been working here as a volunteer since 13 July. My last work day is this Tuesday, 15 August. I will return home (FL) on Thursday.

Here is the current status of things at the P/O:

Daily volumes - yesterday 12 AUG, we set the daily record for 2017 (to date) with 2,722 pilgrims processed for Compostelas. There are always additional pilgrims who are "solo sello" and only want a stamp, but not the Compostela, so they are not counted.

On Friday, we had 2,695 pilgrims. Oddly, the Feast of Santiago, on 25 July, was down over prior years, likely because the Feast fell on a Tuesday this year. But the daily volume has beeen averaging about 1,700 since I arrived. This is well above last year's volume, as of this date.

Weather- it is GLORIOUS! Sunny, blue skies, relatively low humidity, temperatures in the mid-70s (f), and it stays light enough to read until 22:00. I cannot remember the last rain or cloudy day.

Credentials- the 'slick paper' credentials are long gone. Only this year's version, with more porous paper, are in circulation. That was an issue about this time last year.

Tubos - Don't ask me how, but management 'found' 15,000 "old style" tubos in storage. These were the tubos with crimped edges. Some of you may recall my effort last August to rotate stock to get rid of them first. So, I just applied the same logic here as last summer. I have rotated stock and "pushed" the old style tubos to the front of the supply queue. Sooner or later, they will be gone...sometimes activity here at the 'battle front' is most like herding cats...

Compostela confusion - a recent story by a reporter for a Tampa, FL newspaper followed the reporter's pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, all the way from St. Jean Pied de Port. The series was excellent and I read each installment with interest.

Unfortunately, the final post / article carried a photo of the reporter's 'Compostela.' Instead of a photo of her Compostela, they printed and posted the Distance Certificate. The distance certificate costs €3,00 and is strictly optional. The Compostela is and has always been free.

As a result, an INCORRECT presumption that we were now charging for Compostelas sort of went viral, for a time. I even received a shotgun e-mail from my local APOC chapter assuring me of the correct facts. However, I am unaware of a retraction or correction to the original published error.

Volunteer lodging - From September the ACC has a new flat. This replaces the odious, noisy, poorly located flats on Avenida Rua de Republica de Argentina. It will take some months to do some needed improvements, renovations and redecorating. But, the flat should be available for next season.

As an FYI, the new place occupies two floors of the old vicarage at the Convento de Santa Clara de Asis on Rua San Roque. It is further uphill from the Basilica de Santo Francesco. From the Pilgrim office it is a more or less straight line, but uphill.

Mobile phone signal strength is very good as the building is atop a hill. I also saw antenna outlets for TV... who knows?

The 'bones' of the place date to 1260 AD, seriously. You can check it out on Wikipedia. But the interior was renovated. I estimate it is now sporting 1970s stuff in the two cocinas and 3 1/2 baños... 3 with tubs and bidets. So additional updating is in order. They were installing a new washing machine when I visited.

I think there were at least five bedrooms, with beds for ten people. The only issue I saw, beyond neeeded updates and redecorating, was that one really needs a map, at the risk of getting lost.

The building literally resembles a castle or fort. There are lots of stone corridors that dead-end at the separation between the vicarage and convent proper. I DID ask for a diagram...

If you see a photo of Convento Santa Clara de Asis, the Vicarage is at the southwest corner, at the main entry to the cloister and chapel. FYI, they have daily mass at 19:00 (todas días). The intersection would be Rua San Roque and Travesa de Santa Clara.

The number 1, 5, and 6 buses stop out front. There is a Froiz supermercado 300 meters away on Rua Espititu Santo. A Caixa Bank and a Farmacia are located maybe 100 meters in the other direction, towards the Cathedral.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been working here as a volunteer since 13 July. My last work day is this Tuesday, 15 August. I will return home (FL) on Thursday.

Compostela confusion - a recent story by a reporter for a Tampa, FL newspaper followed the reporter's pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, all the way from St. Jean Pied de Port. The series was excellent and I read each installment with interest.

Unfortunately, the final post / article carried a photo of the reporter's 'Compostela.' Instead of a photo of her Compostela, they printed and posted the Distance Certificate. The distance certificate costs €3,00 and is strictly optional. The Compostela is and has always been free.

As a result, an INCORRECT presumption that we were now charging for Compostelas sort of went viral, for a time. I even received a shotgun e-mail from my local APOC chapter assuring me of the correct facts. However, I am unaware of a retraction or correction to the original published error.

Yes when I read that blog entry I predicted that there would be some confusion when reaching the Oficina.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is very hot and humid at home. I hope you enjoy your time in Santiago.

THAT is one of the reasons I come here, and for a month each summer. Galicia in general, and Santiago de Compostela, specifically, are ideal 'reverse snowbird' destinations for folks who live in tropical areas, like South Florida, and who would like to live in one climate year round. In a nutshell, summer in Galicia is like winter in South Florida.

Last edited:
@t2andreo my personal, very, very grateful thanks for your efforts - in the Pilgrims Office and also here on the forum, keeping us informed. I hope you have a thoroughly deep and good rest at home.

Thank you very much. One of the reasons I have volunteered at the Pilgrim Office for four straight years, and why I will return as long as my health holds and they invite me, is simply to give back. It is my way of saying thank you to the Camino, writ large, for all it has given me.

Part of this paying back is also to provide relevant, detailed, accurate information to this forum whenever I can.

I freely admit when I am wrong, and always apologize if I cause offense.
Overall, my experience both as a veteran member of this forum, pilgrim, and repeat volunteer continues to be very positive.

The time I spend trying to help others on this forum, actually doing Camino, and volunteering, are literally the high points of my life in retirement. I plan to continue as many of these activities as long as I am able.

Thank you again for your very kind words.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My congrats. I'd very like to see some pictures of the interior of this old building.
Btw, there is a nice little bar/restaurants on the way to/from the Bureau, the Bodeguita de San Roque, favored by families and local pèople, at San Roque and Praza das Penas.:D

. . .
Credentials- the 'slick paper' credentials are long gone. Only this year's version, with more porous paper, are in circulation. That was an issue about this time last year . . .
Interesting information, note, I have two sets:

(1) One made out of solid paper with no individual spots for sellos/dates [good material], received from Ivar about two weeks ago.
(2) One with eight spots for sellos/dates per page, this one is too soft [were they made out of recycled paper?], when I wrote my personal information the pen actually punctured the paper [this set was received from Ivar about two years ago].
-- And hopefully both versions are still accepted at the Pilgrim Office.

For Mister Tom, thanks for all you do, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you very much. One of the reasons I have volunteered at the Pilgrim Office for four straight years, and why I will return as long as my health holds and they invite me, is simply to give back. It is my way of saying thank you to the Camino, writ large, for all it has given me.

Part of this paying back is also to provide relevant, detailed, accurate information to this forum whenever I can.

Overall, my experience both as a veteran member of this forum, pilgrim, and repeat volunteer continues to be very positive.

The time I spend trying to help others on this forum, actually doing Camino, and volunteering, are literally the high points of my life in retirement. I plan to continue as many of these activities as long as I am able.

How exactly does one get to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago? I've done the Camino twice (2015 and 2017) and on each occasion I ran out of time and was unable to do the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago Route. I am thinking it would be great to go back for the sole purpose of doing this route and spend a month, either before or after, as a volunteer in the PO.

How exactly does one get to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago? I've done the Camino twice (2015 and 2017) and on each occasion I ran out of time and was unable to do the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago Route. I am thinking it would be great to go back for the sole purpose of doing this route and spend a month, either before or after, as a volunteer in the PO.
Great question - I had exactly the same "problem" when I arrived in Santiago back in June. Aiming to walk the Porto next (2019) and will definitely include Finisterra/Muxia - then Santiago.

Really interested in volunteering at P. O. say for 2 weeks, but maybe longer if that is the preferred time. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you!

To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

1. Write an e-mail to Sra. Montse Díaz at:

info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The cycle is from 1 - 15 of the month, and 16 - 31/30 of each month. Schedules start on Mondays.

The 'season' starts at Easter and runs through the end of September. The peak season is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do. But I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back.

You pay to get here and back, and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides lodging.

Hope to see you here next summer.

Last edited:

I wrote a general reply with the procedure above. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A local newspaper in Santiago has commented on the very large numbers of pilgrims arriving. The writer notes that the figures are even larger than in previous Holy Years and describes the record-breaking past week as "una semana de guinness" :)
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santi...ricos/idEdicion-2017-08-14/idNoticia-1068920/

As if on cue, here are some comparative numbers I obtained today at the office. They are snapshots of year-to-date pilgrims processed for Compostelas from 01 January through today, 14 August over the past five years.

Annual Comparison (UPDATED)
2017 186,471 (as of COB on 14/08)
2016 171,697
2015 162,705
2014 145,752
2013 133,461

I have not analyzed these numbers. They are just raw totals. I do not have the demographic values.

What these snapshots DO provide is a sense of the growth in the Camino over the past five years.

Remember, these ARE NOT annual totals. They are year-to-date direct comparisons using the same date.

The number for 2017 is UPDATED through close-of-business (COB) Monday, 14/08. So, it is accurate.

Of course, tomorrow is 15 August, the Catholic Feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It is also a national holiday in Spain. That could easily explain this spike.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
As if on cue, here are some comparative numbers I obtained today at the office. They are snapshots of year-to-date pilgrims processed for Compostelas from 01 January through today, 14 August over the past five years.

Annual Comparison
2017 184,757
2016 171,697
2015 162,705
2014 145,752
2013 133,461

I have not analyzed these numbers. They are just raw totals. I do not have the demographic values.

What these snapshots DO provide is a sense of the growth in the Camino over the past five years.

Remember, these ARE NOT annual totals. They are year-to-date direct comparisons using the same date.

Actually, the 2017 number is likely about 2,000 pilgrims low as I pulled the 2017 number mid-morning. If you add the reported daily total for 14 August to the 2017 number, you will be closer to the truth.

At 14:15 this afternoon, they reported having processed 1141 pilgrims today. By the close of business this number could well exceed 2,000...and it is Monday!

Of course, tomorrow is 15 August, the Catholic Feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It is also a national holiday in Spain. That could easily explain this spike.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I hope this helps.

Do you know approximately how many arrived in early May?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sorry to disappoint, but my duties here do not include regular computer work, so my access is limited.

In this case, a staffer left their screen unlocked and, well, being an intelligence analyst by training, I found what I needed quickly.

I recommend you access the Pilgrim Office web site and drill down to the statistics page. As others correctly point out, there is all sorts of interesting information there.

I hope this helps.

To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

1. Write an e-mail to Sra. Montse Díaz at:

info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The cycle is from 1 - 15 of the month, and 16 - 31/30 of each month. Schedules start on Mondays.

The 'season' starts at Easter and runs through the end of September. The peak season is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do. But I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back.

You pay to get here and back, and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides lodging.

Hope to see you here next summer.
Thank you for this. E-mail written and sent.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You inspire me.....I'll volunteer thru the Spanish association next spring wherever they send me

Be sure to offer your services as a volunteer early, before they draw up staffing plans for the summer. I recommend corresponding immediately after the winter holidays (Christmas, New Years). I posted simple instructions above.

Also, consider choosing to spend a couple of week or a month in Santiago working at the Pilgrim Office. Getting to live in a ancient, historic European city for a month, with a free room, is something few people ever get to do, especially once they "grow up" and take on adult responsibilities. Plus, the office arranges free tours of places mere civilians rarely get to see.

As a Pilgrim Office volunteer, you become an insider. In Spain, THAT is a HUGE benefit. Shopkeepers and wait persons show you additional deference once you explain why you are there...Soy un voluntario en la Oficina de Pergerinos para un mez..." You become one of the 'hospitality team' in Santiago de Compostela, instead of just another tourist customer.

Working at the Pilgrim Office is decidedly different than being a hospitalero(a). Instead of catering to pilgrims individual needs, as they seek lodging and, perhaps, a meal for the night, you help them get through the final part of the formal Camino and help them transition to life, 'after-Camino.' It can be tiring, but also very rewarding.

Some days it can be like herding cats. Just trying to get arriving pilgrims to focus on the process and maintain some sense of order in the sometimes long queue can be difficult. But that is simply a challenge. My role is to identify, isolate, adapt and overcome each challenge as it presents itself.

If my Spanish were more conversational, I might be asked to do interviews and write Compostelas. But, I am pleased to do anything that helps the process. Unfortunately, they need almost as many "jacks and janes of all trades" as they do volunteers to issue Compostelas.

Other days, when I use my "Red Nose Day" foam nose to brighten people's post-Compostela Camino photos, I derive immense satisfaction. I made them laugh, albeit at me. But, they laughed at this important time nonetheless. In future years, when they look back at the photos, they WILL remember that happy moment. I do not care if they are really laughing at the goofy American voluntario with the silver beard and red nose who looked a lot like Papa Pitufo (Papa Smurf). People come over to take photos of just me with the nose. I can imagine entire villages in Spain, Portugal and South Korea roaring with laughter...whatever it takes...

FYI, I buy about a dozen of these noses at Walgreen's each year, in May, to support the women's cancer charity. Typically, I use wear one out over a month.

Also, I usually give them away to children who just have to have my nose. Heck, at USD .99 a throw, it is VERY cheap goodwill. The parents are infinitely grateful that I made a squirming, crying, impatient or uncomfortable child laugh, especially when they are someplace where no one speaks their language. It happens every day.

I hope to see you next year in the convent, the new voluntario flat at Convento Santa Clara de Asis. It is on the highest hill in downtown Sanitago and actually overlooks the Cathedral from a distance. You can see the spires from the second floor of the flat.

The original building dates from 1260, and to me at least, most resembles a castle or fort. The walls are nearly a meter thick in places. Then again, I am just an American. We do not have anything nearly that old, or as well made.

See ya!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back