• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim passport available in Moreira da Maia?

Laura C

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto/Moreira da Maia to Santiago 1/7/16
Hi all,

I will be flying into Porto Airport but I was thinking of going straight to Moreira da Maia as it seems closer than going all the way to Porto.

I've read that the first day walking from Porto has a lot of walking through industrial estates on the edge of town.
My only worry is that I won't be able to get a Pilgrims Passport there.

Does anyone know if I can and if I can get a bus/taxi from the airport to Moreira please?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

I will be flying into Porto Airport but I was thinking of going straight to Moreira da Maia as it seems closer than going all the way to Porto.

I've read that the first day walking from Porto has a lot of walking through industrial estates on the edge of town.

Does anyone know if I can and if I can get a bus/taxi from the airport to Moreira please?
Hi Laura, as already stated, by your passport here at the forum from Ivar.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all. I didn't realize when I posted this thread that I could buy them here. That's what I've done and they were posted today, thanks Ivar.
Thanks for all the replies
Buen Camino

Hi all,

Hello, Laura,
We are leaving to Porto in six days and planing to go straight from airport too. It is not enough time to by the passport from Ivar. So I would like to know where you got yours? How you reached Moreira? Thank you.

Hello, Laura,
We are leaving to Porto in six days and planing to go straight from airport too. It is not enough time to by the passport from Ivar. So I would like to know where you got yours? How you reached Moreira? Thank you.

Hi Nomi, Laura hasn’t returned to the forum since July last year, so she may not see your post. I doubt that you will be able to get a credencial (pilgrim passport) in Moreira.

If you want to start walking north as soon as you leave the airport, then you could get the Metro at the airport to Vilar do Pinheiro (the next stop after Pedra Rubras) and pick up the waymarked route in Mosteiro. (Detailed instructions in the Brierley guide – let me know if you’d like them.)

You could get your stamps on bits of paper to begin with if you have no credencial. Then when you get to an albergue that sells credentials, you can stick your stamps in it. The important thing is to have the credencial before you leave Tui, so any stamps in it after the 100km mark qualify for the compostela.

However, if you have the time, it would be much better to go from the airport into Porto and spend one night there. You can get your credencial at the cathedral and experience this wonderful city. You can still get the Metro out of the city again the next day if you’d rather not walk, or to make up some time.
Bom caminho!
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Nomi, Laura hasn’t returned to the forum since July last year, so she may not see your post. I doubt that you will be able to get a credencial (pilgrim passport) in Moreira.

If you want to start walking north as soon as you leave the airport, then you could get the Metro at the airport to Vilar do Pinheiro (the next stop after Pedra Rubras) and pick up the waymarked route in Mosteiro. (Detailed instructions in the Brierley guide – let me know if you’d like them.)

You could get your stamps on bits of paper to begin with if you have no credencial. Then when you get to an albergue that sells credentials, you can stick your stamps in it. The important thing is to have the credencial before you leave Tui, so any stamps in it after the 100km mark qualify for the compostela.

However, if you have the time, it would be much better to go from the airport into Porto and spend one night there. You can get your credencial at the cathedral and experience this wonderful city. You can still get the Metro out of the city again the next day if you’d rather not walk, or to make up some time.
Bom caminho!
Jill
Thank you, Jill. I'll use your advice and we'll come back to Porto for one night to check the city. It will be my birthday gift :)
Few more things I would like to ask:
My both knees are after surgery, so I decided to walk from Rubiaes to Santiago. It will be 141km for me as a first try. Could you recommend the best way to reach Rubiaes from Porto?
Do I have to book Albergues ahead of time during this season?
Is the mass at Catedrall are only on Sunday? If it is, when we'll miss it because our plain is back to America on Sunday at 2pm...
What is the best way to come back from Santiago to Porto?
Thank you very much for all the comments and answers. This forum is the life saver for me.
Nomeda

Hi Nomeda
Rome to Rio is a good website for checking travel between two places:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Porto/Rubi%C3%A3es

You might find it easier to start in Valenca:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Porto/Valen%C3%A7a-Portugal

There is no need to book albergues ahead in March.

There is a pilgrim mass every day in the cathedral in Santiago at 12 noon and 7:30pm.

I usually get the bus from Santiago to Porto, but others prefer the train. Again, look at Rome to Rio:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Santiago-de-Compostela/Porto

If you have a specific question you are still unsure about, then don’t be afraid to start a new thread. When you do that other people will see your query and may be able to assist better than I can. They may not see your queries, which are hidden in this thread.
Jill

Hi Nomeda
Rome to Rio is a good website for checking travel between two places:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Porto/Rubi%C3%A3es

You might find it easier to start in Valenca:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Porto/Valen%C3%A7a-Portugal

There is no need to book albergues ahead in March.

There is a pilgrim mass every day in the cathedral in Santiago at 12 noon and 7:30pm.

I usually get the bus from Santiago to Porto, but others prefer the train. Again, look at Rome to Rio:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Santiago-de-Compostela/Porto

If you have a specific question you are still unsure about, then don’t be afraid to start a new thread. When you do that other people will see your query and may be able to assist better than I can. They may not see your queries, which are hidden in this thread.
Jill
Oh, I would love to give you 100 hugs for your advises and one Lithuanian „ačiū“ (thank you)!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back