• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim passport full

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
What do I do when I run out of spots for new stamps in my pilgrim passport?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most people correct several -- the more sophisticated version of that, practised by a few obsessed old-timers like myself, is to stick several of them together with glue to make a much bigger one.

But most people are happy simply to collect several and to keep them separate.

Hola @Doughnut NZ . G'day Bro. What you have discovered is something that is happening with increased regularlity. You should be able to get one at most larger Albergue or the cathedral shops in Leon or Astorga. You did not mention where you are!!

For advice to others, intending pilgrims what I did was get two new pilgrim passports (Ivar usually includes one or two with any purchase) and did some cutting and pasting. This gave be room for about 50 (or 60) stamps. As I started in St Jean I usually collected 10 stamps per 7 days. Given my starting point I was not too fussed about the two stamps per day from Sarria, I think I ended up with about 10 for this last section. There were no questions from the Pilgrim Office. Buen Camino;):cool:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sadly the new 'official' pilgrim passport does not really have enough stamp spaces for a Camino of any length.
One half is taken up with some rather useless maps :rolleyes:
Thankfully the ones issued by the office in SJpdP still have lots more space in them.

Sticking 2 together sounds like a good plan ;)

I recall a guy in the church at Palas De Rei sticking another page into mine for me.

Sadly the new 'official' pilgrim passport does not really have enough stamp spaces for a Camino of any length.
One half is taken up with some rather useless maps :rolleyes:
Thankfully the ones issued by the office in SJpdP still have lots more space in them.

Sticking 2 together sounds like a good plan ;)

I recall a guy in the church at Palas De Rei sticking another page into mine for me.
Thank you for the replies. I am in Astorga today and I decided to buy another one and get it stamped at the Albergue de Peregrinos de Siervas de Maria so that it is a bit more official.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Working in the Pilgrim Office just now... the two stamps a day rule applies to all pilgrims not just those walking the last 100km. In reality, some allowance is (unofficially) allowed for where clearly the pilgrim has stamps for a longer journey - but please you make the lives of the workers and volunteers SO MUCH EASIER if you have 2 stamps a day at the very least for the last 100 kms... and of course have your names and starting point clearly written/printed at the opening page. Thanks!!!

Hello :))
I just had people put stamps over the maps - they did not cause me any issues at the Pilgrim office - you can see a little video of the stamps over my maps here on my blog if you are interested!

Last edited:
Working in the Pilgrim Office just now... the two stamps a day rule applies to all pilgrims not just those walking the last 100km. In reality, some allowance is (unofficially) allowed for where clearly the pilgrim has stamps for a longer journey - but please you make the lives of the workers and volunteers SO MUCH EASIER if you have 2 stamps a day at the very least for the last 100 kms... and of course have your names and starting point clearly written/printed at the opening page. Thanks!!!

Wow, is that a new rule?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, it's been the rule for a while.

For the last 100 kms Yes. But for the whole journey? I just can't find any reference to it.........
Only for the last 100 kms.......
Can someone provide a reference?'
Just keen to know for next time, as it will require an extra credencial and remembering to collect 2 per day from the start.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Breathe, @Robo, nothing has changed. ;)
What @SioCamino means is that everyone is subject to the 2 stamps/day, regardless of where they started.

So if you start in St Jean, you need 2 per day all the way to Santiago?
Not according to the 'official' website.........

I think most people take it to mean, as stated, that 2 per day are required only for the last 100 kms.

Ah........ OK.
The penny has dropped!
Regardless of where you start.........you need 2 per day in the last 100 kms.
OK. Nothing has changed. :)

Start a second one. When I was walking with my son in 2016, it was clear by the time we got to Leon that our credencials were going to fill up well before Santiago. So I went to one of the albergues that was selling them and got a couple so we would each be ready. Sure enough, a little while later our credencials were full and we ended up each filling two. He got his last stamp to complete his second credencial at the lighthouse in Finisterre. I completed mine after we were back in Santiago at the Pilgrim House.

If you are posting this with a full passport and don't have the opportunity to acquire another before needing to get stamps, you can get stamps added to the back of your existing credencial, or cut out some paper and staple it to the credencial as extra pages.

Remember that all that is really important to the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, credencial-wise, is the last 100 km. So if you end up missing some stamps before Sarria, it's not the end of the world, but if you are after Sarria when your credencial fills, you'll want to be sure to collect two stamps a day somehow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, is that a new rule?
I think it is an older rule that has been replaced by the current rule.

My 2010 credential from the SJPP pilgrim office doesn't have any guidance on this. In 2016, the credencial I obtained from Ivar includes the statement AL MENO DOS POR DIA on the sellos pages. I cannot find any reference to that being only for the last 100 km for walkers or 200 km for cyclists.

I didn't consistently collect two stamps each day at the start, but overall, I did collect over 100 stamps from SJPP to Santiago. I 'extended' my credencial twice along the way.

Take a notebook with you. One of those hardback ones with about 60 - 100 pages.

Use a new page for every day and then add notes of what happened that day. Becomes a wonderful reminder of your Camino and is completely acceptable for a Compostela in Santiago.

Please be aware that if you want a fancy passport you can have a few of them as well as an 'add-on' to show them all off in one document.

My 2010 credential from the SJPP pilgrim office doesn't have any guidance on this. In 2016, the credencial I obtained from Ivar includes the statement AL MENO DOS POR DIA on the sellos pages. I cannot find any reference to that being only for the last 100 km for walkers or 200 km for cyclists.

That surprises me, as I've not seen an "official" Spanish credencial not mention the 100K/200K thing since the 1990s ... my current one certainly does suggest it explicitly on the inside front cover !!

But isn't 2010 about the period when various pseudo-official credenciales were appearing, not contributing towards the upkeep of the Cathedral and the Pilgrim Office ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Take a notebook with you. One of those hardback ones with about 60 - 100 pages.

Use a new page for every day and then add notes of what happened that day. Becomes a wonderful reminder of your Camino and is completely acceptable for a Compostela in Santiago.

Please be aware that if you want a fancy passport you can have a few of them as well as an 'add-on' to show them all off in one document.
Im not sure I would say it’s completely acceptable- an official credential is needed and if you only use a notebook you may be refused a Compostela (the strict rule is that without an official credential you are not eligible for a Compostela - but the staff may make an exception).

That surprises me, as I've not seen an "official" Spanish credencial not mention the 100K/200K thing since the 1990s ... my current one certainly does suggest it explicitly on the inside front cover !!

But isn't 2010 about the period when various pseudo-official credenciales were appearing, not contributing towards the upkeep of the Cathedral and the Pilgrim Office ?
Others might be able to answer your question here, I can't. I have no idea what formal arrangements existed between the Cathedral in Santiago and the Pilgrim Office in SJPP when I obtained this credencial.

Im not sure I would say it’s completely acceptable- an official credential is needed and if you only use a notebook you may be refused a Compostela (the strict rule is that without an official credential you are not eligible for a Compostela - but the staff may make an exception).

I have received a Compostela that way and know of others as well. But, as you say, it may be compliant or forgiving staff at the office.

€149,-
I think I made this comment about 5 years ago when the Cathedral & Pilgrim Offices started this 100km / 2 stamp rules. Just another example of bureaucracy gone crazy! One closing point - does this rule also apply on the Porto? If so might have to ensure I have a larger passport for next year. Cheers

I think I made this comment about 5 years ago when the Cathedral & Pilgrim Offices started this 100km / 2 stamp rules. Just another example of bureaucracy gone crazy! One closing point - does this rule also apply on the Porto? If so might have to ensure I have a larger passport for next year. Cheers
This rule applies on all routes.

Hi Doughnut NZ, just get a new one. In 2017 when I did my longest camino (Proceno, Rome,Santiago,Fisterre,Muxia 3.300 Km ) I used 4 credential book.
Buen camino
Ernesto X X

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to everyone for their advice and input on this thread. It seems I was a little premature, I still have my back page empty but I won't get a chance to to fill it out as I am currently in Lugo's Hospital Lucus Agosti with pnuemonia and will be here for at least 5 days being treated. After resting, I am not sure if I will have time to complete the Camino this time around.

Sitting in the emergency department yesterday, one nurse kept smiling and calling me crazy each time she walked passed. It seems that they were a bit amazed that someone would keep walking for 7 days while suffering from pnuemonia. I am sure that they are right, we probably are all a bit crazy to be so fixed on completing. I sure wanted to complete this thing I have grown to love.

I also want to acknowledge the Spanish Camino couple who saw me struggling up a tiny incline, not worth calling a hill and who then saw me again in the tiny village of Hospital da Condesa and called in medical assistance with the help of the bar owners there. The medics examined me and called an ambulance. So if you saw an ambulance zooming passed you on the Camino yesterday it was probably me and I was waving to you.

Spanish hospitals or at least this one is/are great. I am sure enjoying the great care from the professional and friendly staff and, hopefully, I am on the mend to walk another day.

Keep your credencial. When you walk again, you can start up from where you left off. Just get it stamped again in the same place where it was last stamped on this Camino. There is no rule that the Camino has to be completed in one trip. Many walk successive stages year after year to complete theirs.

If there is only a little left and you want to walk farther next time, you can always tack on another Camino afterwards: the Finisterre if you only want a few days more, the Ingles for a little longer, or the Primitivo or the Portugues.

I only did the last 100 on the Frances and I filled two credenciales. I loved doing it. I calculated that if I only got two stamps per day I wouldn't even fill half of the passport. It wouldn't look "right" to me. So on day one I got it stamped as many times as I could manage. By the time I got to day three, it was full and I didn't have another credencial to use. I had to purchase another in Arzua, which thankfully had them for sale in a shop called Antoxos. So just get another one or use your journal or book until you can obtain another passport. I was thankful I was in Arzua and they sold it at that shop, because I asked at several cities prior to Arzua and nobody had them. They told me to go to Arzua to get one. If I do the Camino again, I will plan on carrying two (just in case). I also used the backside of my credencial, when I ran out of space.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back