• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pilgrim passport

carlbiston

Time of past OR future Camino
walking from st jean de port to santiago then to finiterre then to muxia then back to santiago on march 15th 2015
I am walking from st jean de port to santiago then to finerterre then to muxia and back to santiago. i have bought one pilgrim passport will that be enough for stamps for the distance i am walking?

many thanks

carl biston

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It will be enough for one per day plus two per day in the last 100km. If you run out of space, just add a blank sheet of paper. Buen camino!

do i need to get two stamps the last 100km? if so where can i get the second stamp?
thanks for you help......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can get a stamp almost anywhere, shops, bars, as well as churches, town halls, police stations, albergues, hostals, etc. Trust me it won't be a problem.

do i need to get two stamps the last 100km? if so where can i get the second stamp?
Yes, you need two only in the last 100km, and you can get the second one almost anywhere -- bars, churches, ayuntamientos, restaurants.

My understanding is that if you walk from St Jean you don't need two stamps per day from Sarria. If you are worried about space just get a pen and divide the space for the stamps into two, I did this in 2012 as I wanted to collect any nice stamps I saw along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
izquierdo.jpg

To be awarded the Compostela:

• You need to have made the pilgrimage for religious reasons or for a similar motivation such as a vow.
  • You need to have walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms, or cycled the last 200kms, to arrive at the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
  • You should collect at least two sellos (stamps) each day on your credencial. This will usually be where you sleep and one other place such as a Church, ayuntamiento, café etc. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.

My understanding is that if you walk from St Jean you don't need two stamps per day from Sarria. If you are worried about space just get a pen and divide the space for the stamps into two, I did this in 2012 as I wanted to collect any nice stamps I saw along the way.

There has been some confusion on this. I thought the same thing too, but someone else on here informed me you didn't need 2 during the last 100km.

Here's what my pilgrim's passport from American Pilgrims on the Camino says:
"Two stamps per day are required in Galicia. On the final day, pilgrims must obtain two stamps before entering the city of Santiago."

izquierdo.jpg

To be awarded the Compostela:

• You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.
What falcon says is also my understanding.
at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In my experience, the rules as written are different from the rules on the ground. I wrote compostelas for two weeks last May and there were many long distance pilgrims who got theirs without having two stamps a day at the end. But if you know the rules and have the space in your credencial, why not just get the two stamps? It's easy, as others have said, every bar along the way in those last 100 km has one!

You can always get a second credencial on the way when you run out of space because you collected too many lovely stamps ;-) Most of the bigger refugios have them! Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My preference is to ignore the rules as written, then spend some time arguing with the counter personnel in the Pilgrim Office.;););)
I didn't argue but I had to be a little insistent with the person issuing my 2013 credential. I knew from here in the forum that I could get it annotated in memory of a dear departed but said person thought otherwise. My persuasive Spanish eventually prompted him to make a little stroll and discover what he had to do. Sorted!

I think that two stamp a day thing is a myth. I didn't do it on my first Camino and got my compostela with no problems. My second Camino I brought two passports with me just to collect stamps. I got the second passport at the tourist office in St. Jean Pied de Port.
Either way, it's easy to get two stamps a day....albergues, hotels, pension houses, hostels, bars, cafes, churches, tourist offices.
credentials 001.jpg 167.JPG
I would notice from time to time a bit of "passport envy" from pilgrims only doing the last 100 km....ha ha ;)

I must say that of all the different credentials I have I personally think the nicest is the one from SJPdP. And the worst? Well, while it is a precious memory of my first Camino the A4 sheet of paper from the Tourist Office in Ferrol is easily the least pretty! :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my experience, including time spent in 2014 as a volunteer Amigo at the Pilgrim Office, if you clearly demonstrate that you walked all the way from St. Jean (they can tell by the credential, your appearance and manner) you SHOULD have no problem. I have had some days where I only obtained one stamp in the last 100 Km. However the rest of the credential clearly showed a timely progress across northern Spain from St. Jean Pied de Port. Context is everything.

The two-stamps per day for the last 111 km (from Sarria) in Galicia is intended to weed out the day trippers who leap-frog even the last 100 Km then show up demanding a Compostela. It sort of cheapens the entire experience for all.

I recommend obtaining one stamp per day, until you reach Sarria, then try to get two per day. If you obtain one where you sleep and one other at a cafe along the way during the day (this is easy) you should have no problem. Most credentials have enough space for this.

However, in 2013 I walked on and off with a fellow who was doing his pilgrimage for his wife's fifth grade class back in the States. So he stopped EVERYWHERE to collect as many stamps as he could. His credential was full by the time he reached Burgos.

So, he went to a pilgrim office in that city (you can do this elsewhere) and asked for an additional blank page for his credential. The office pasted a nice folding page with individual blocks into his credential much in the same way a country adds additional pages to a national passport when you run short of space. Buy the time he reached Santiago, "Colonel Nick" had two additional pages added to his base credential. I think he obtained one at Astorga as well. All the space was full of stamps he had gathered along the entire Camino Frances.

However, I suppose a plain piece of A4 paper will work just as well...

I hope this helps.

I didn't argue but I had to be a little insistent with the person issuing my 2013 credential. I knew from here in the forum that I could get it annotated in memory of a dear departed but said person thought otherwise. My persuasive Spanish eventually prompted him to make a little stroll and discover what he had to do. Sorted!
This is interesting. As far as I know, doing the pilgrimage for another person is a time honored tradition. I believe there is even a Latin expression for that (maybe "per delegationem"?) It may have been because the love for a dear one, a personal disability or impossibility of the beneficiary, a clause in a relative's will , or more materially, because some person wanted the indulgences (or serve a canonical sentence) without the hassle and the effort of walking so many miles (some kind of medieval "rent-a-pilgrim"). It may be nowadays a semi-forgotten tradition, but I vaguely remember reading about another pilgrim doing the walk for somebody else. Maybe the interested pilgrim should express her/his intention when asking for the credential?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is interesting. As far as I know, doing the pilgrimage for another person is a time honored tradition. I believe there is even a Latin expression for that (maybe "per delegationem"?) It may have been because the love for a dear one, a personal disability or impossibility of the beneficiary, a clause in a relative's will , or more materially, because some person wanted the indulgences (or serve a canonical sentence) without the hassle and the effort of walking so many miles (some kind of medieval "rent-a-pilgrim"). It may be nowadays a semi-forgotten tradition, but I vaguely remember reading about another pilgrim doing the walk for somebody else. Maybe the interested pilgrim should express her/his intention when asking for the credential?
I've heard for this medieval tradition of rent-a-pilgrim, but never thought of it as a present to someone as @falcon269 suggested. I wouldn't "rent" or sell my Compostela of course (although it means close to nothing to me and for that reason I collected only the first one), but I do know some older and/or disabled folks that would be really very honoured to get one. Thanks for the idea ;)

How many stamps in credencial? I have never heard that long distance pilgrims had any problems gaining compostela with just one sello per day. I believe it's different for last 100kms.

Maybe the interested pilgrim should express her/his intention when asking for the credential
I did on arrival at the desk Filipe but I think he was a newbie who just didn't realise it was possible. Still in the end my daughter has a memento of her stillborn son Jakob walking with me.

The credential must be in the name of the pilgrim, and the Compostela is issued to the name on the credential. However, a "dedicated to" can be added by the Pilgrim Office.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There has been some confusion on this. I thought the same thing too, but someone else on here informed me you didn't need 2 during the last 100km.
Here's what my pilgrim's passport from American Pilgrims on the Camino says:
"Two stamps per day are required in Galicia. On the final day, pilgrims must obtain two stamps before entering the city of Santiago."

I arrived as pilgrim in Santiago twice, in 2002 and 2011. Both times I got one stamp per day all the way, obtained in the places where I spent the night. This way I got a record of my pilgrimages. Getting my Compostela was no problem both times. I doubt that you need to two stamps on your last day if you start in Monte de Gozo, as quite a lot of people do.

I did not have two stamps per day from Sarria onwards as I did not have enough room left in my Irish booklet credential. I asked at the office about it and they just said 'not necessary' and gave me my compostela. My attitude was that if they refuse me who cares, I knew how far I had walked, my friends and family knew and most important, God knew. My Dutch friend who was walking with me also did not get two per day

I did not have two stamps per day from Sarria onwards as I did not have enough room left in my Irish booklet credential. I asked at the office about it and they just said 'not necessary' and gave me my compostela. My attitude was that if they refuse me who cares, I knew how far I had walked, my friends and family knew and most important, God knew. My Dutch friend who was walking with me also did not get two per day
Very true. After all, a compostela is just a sheet of paper.
There were a couple of peregrinos I met on my second Camino that had no interest at all in receiving a compostela, and didn't even go to the office in Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Yes you do, and you get them at any local bar, church (wow, that sounds strange). Plus, if you run out of pages, just get another credencial: available in churches (but not bars!) and albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back