• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Passport

EmoJohnson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
I walked Porto to Santiago last year in May/June. I am planning for another trip, first time on Camino Frances (starting in SJPP), late in May this year. Can I reuse my stamped pilgrim passport as I have plenty space on my 2017 one? Thank you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked Porto to Santiago last year in May/June. I am planning for another trip, first time on Camino Frances (starting in SJPP), late in May this year. Can I reuse my stamped pilgrim passport as I have plenty space on my 2016 one? Thank you!
Yes you can , but why not obtain a new one at the Pilgrimsoffice in SJPdP.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, but you will run out of room for stamps by Leon or sooner. And you will probably cause some confusion as very few pilgrims start the Camino Frances in Porto ;)
Haha! Good point! I cause enough confusion as it is.
1 stamp required per day until a closer to Santiago point, right? I'm only walking 15 days of the CF, stopping wherever that gets me.

1 stamp required per day to demonstrate that you have walked from your previous stop, have stayed in an Albergue previously and are not a member of a BBC television crew.... ;)

And, as you seem to know, you can take as many years as you like to walk to Santiago but if you want to claim a compostella then you need to be able to demonstrate that you have walked the last 100km of whatever route - so two stamps per day on that final stretch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Porto to Santiago last year in May/June. I am planning for another trip, first time on Camino Frances (starting in SJPP), late in May this year. Can I reuse my stamped pilgrim passport as I have plenty space on my 2017 one? Thank you!
If the passport has already been stamped by the Pilgrims' Office then it would IMO be better to get a new one. This one could be seen as 'finished' by albergues and also by the Pilgrims' Office when you reach Santiago again. If it is not stamped by them then it is a 'follow-on' and can be used until such time as you reach Santiago.

"if you want to claim a compostella then you need to be able to demonstrate that you have walked the last 100km of whatever route - so two stamps per day on that final stretch."

Can anyone explain how two stamps per day proves walking the last 100 km, anymore than one stamp a day....

If one were to be cheating a tad, say by driving, as long as one stopped for two stamps, per day, the compostela would still be given?

"if you want to claim a compostella then you need to be able to demonstrate that you have walked the last 100km of whatever route - so two stamps per day on that final stretch."

Can anyone explain how two stamps per day proves walking the last 100 km, anymore than one stamp a day....

If one were to be cheating a tad, say by driving, as long as one stopped for two stamps, per day, the compostela would still be given?

I agree LesR, it's all a bit ridiculous but I guess they have to at least try and keep people honest. Though in the end, as is so often the case, the only person the cheats are really fooling is themselves.

The rule seems particularly ridiculous for those who have been collecting stamps daily for about a month.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Maybe, but probably it would be best not to IMO.

Symbolically, you finished your previous Camino, and this is a new one, so it would be I think preferable to start with a new credencial

A credencial is also more than just a little booklet to put stamps in along the Way, it's actually your passport and travel document for the purposes of your pilgrimage, for your way there and your way back -- so that technically, its validity may only cover one pilgrimage -- though that might involve several stages over several years using the same credencial, and someone could undoubtedly re-use his credencial to return in a following year to do a "reverse Camino", as it would still technically be the same pilgrimage. Yours however is a new pilgrimage.

Finally, it might be worth considering that a credencial is actually a Church document, so that its usage is likely governed by the Canon Law and the local diocesan decisions as well as by the civil jurisdiction and laws and the internal rules and regulations of the Camino infrastructures themselves. But it would be wisest IMO to treat the question of whether a new credencial is needed, or to keep on using an old one, as a religious question to be answered from a religious point of view. But I don't think you could re-use an old marriage certificate, or re-use a child's baptism certificate for a second child. So I'd say, don't re-use your credencial.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back