• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Playlists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiff

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino Frances July-August 2014
Thought it might be a nice idea for past and future pilgrims to share the music they listened to/plan to listen to on the Camino. Were there any particular songs that really spoke to you on the Way? Was there a song that helped you to keep going when things got tough?
I start my first Camino in 4 weeks so I'm doing my final prep, including creating a playlist for the Way :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thought it might be a nice idea for past and future pilgrims to share the music they listened to/plan to listen to on the Camino. Were there any particular songs that really spoke to you on the Way? Was there a song that helped you to keep going when things got tough?
I start my first Camino in 4 weeks so I'm doing my final prep, including creating a playlist for the Way :)
Like you, I updated my music collection and created playlists prior of my walk last fall, only to realise that, by mistake, I stored my entire music folder with 1200 songs in the cloud. At first I frantically looked for a fast 'Wee-Fee' connection to download it to my iPhone again.....but then, you know what? As the first days passed I cared less and lesser; 'listening the sounds of the Camino' was so much more interesting, especially the overwhelming silence of the Meseta was mind-blowing. Don't deny yourself the experience of hearing only your own steps!
Wearing your earplugs will cast yourself out of the company of– and the chatter with fellow-peregrinos too. Give your ears and your mind a well deserved holiday. Buen Camino.

Remember that this need not be an either/or situation. A 64GB microSD weighs all of 2 grams, so the real question comes down to listening to your own needs. If you find you need the silence, great. If you find you need some background distraction, great.

I took music (mostly classical, choral, or Gregorian chant) with me on my smartphone, but I never listened to it.

What I found most profitable was something I didn't plan. My plan was to read and reflect on the writings of the Spanish mystic, St. Teresa of Avila, so I had her books downloaded in my Kindle app. However, by end of day, I was either tired, busy with showers and laundry, heading off to Mass, shopping to make dinner or going out to eat, etc. A week in, and I hadn't read more than a few pages. Therefore, I downloaded the Audible recordings of her writings instead, and listened to those as I walked. I stopped playback to reflect when I wanted, or to listen to the sounds of the Camino (which I did often), or to engage in conversation with fellow pilgrims, to grab second breakfast, etc. After arriving at the albergue, I almost never listened to the audiobooks again until walking the next day.

My son, on the other hand, listened regularly to his iPod as we walked. He is in honor's choir in his high school, so it was mostly soundtracks of movies and musicals. He would sometimes sing along to the amusement of other pilgrims (I tried to keep that to minimal doses, lest it lead to the annoyance of other pilgrims!). Unlike me, he had no problem with reading on his Kindle app. I think he put down a half dozen Ian Flemming novels.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't listen to any music last time and didn't miss it as there were so many other great sounds and experiences. However, I've made a playlist for my next Camino journey (just 4 days to go!) which I'll probably listen to on the plane and bus journeys. This is the Spotify link: Camino (but I've no idea how to share spotify music, so it may not work!). I particularly like the tracks from the movie Into the Wild (Eddie Vedder) - they feel very relevant to the Camino.

I definitely don't intend to stay constantly 'plugged in', it's more for when I'm trying to fall asleep or as a polite way to say to people that I wish to be left to my thoughts for a while. The idea of taking audio books is an interesting one. I've never listened to an audio book as it seems like it would be harder to immerse your self in the writing, but if there will be little opportunity to read in the evenings I may give it a go.
NualaOC, I like your playlist, I'll definitely be including some of the tracks, especially the 'Into the Wild' album :)

Glad you were able to see it Tiff and I hope you enjoy compiling your playlist. Your post prompted me to play mine - it's on in the background while I work! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too brought my favourite music on my phone on the Camino in 2012 but did not listen to one single tune and like PANO enjoyed the sounds of the Camino instead. When we reached Sarria I was shocked to see nearly all of the new pilgrims plugged in to their phones/mp3 players and with not even a reply to a Buen Camino. Each to their own, but being plugged in and tuned out is not for me.

I opted out of music for the most part, but discovered Oliver Schroer's album "Camino" along the way and when I did want a bit of music, it was just perfect:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jake Bugg was my choice but I'd often listen to him in bed rather than on the walk. Quiet enough so it wouldn't annoy anyone but loud enough to drown out the snorers. My camino tune would have to be jake Bugg- simple as this. Described a lot of my feelings and future on the camino!

FUN - Carry on. When this is playing on my speaker, the volume goes up Up UP. Great camino song.

Like you, I updated my music collection and created playlists prior of my walk last fall, only to realise that, by mistake, I stored my entire music folder with 1200 songs in the cloud. At first I frantically looked for a fast 'Wee-Fee' connection to download it to my iPhone again.....but then, you know what? As the first days passed I cared less and lesser; 'listening the sounds of the Camino' was so much more interesting, especially the overwhelming silence of the Meseta was mind-blowing. Don't deny yourself the experience of hearing only your own steps!
Wearing your earplugs will cast yourself out of the company of– and the chatter with fellow-peregrinos too. Give your ears and your mind a well deserved holiday. Buen Camino.

I don't watch TV so I have music on all day, all night, all the time, I usually go to a couple of concerts a week, I love music. But you are dead right, I never listened to anything on either of my Caminos and never noticed it at all. The sound of nature was wonderful.

I found myself not talking to people I passed wearing earphones, I figured they didn't want to talk.

Have to admit, the one Camino sound I absolutely hated was the clack-clack of walking poles. I would happily have drowned that out with some Queens of the Stone Age if I'd had any...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did not take any music on any of my caminos, but if I had taken music on the Camino it would only be Oliver Schroer's. :)
I also chose not to take a novel so that I could stay 'in' the Camino experience instead of bouncing in and out of someone else's story. I always read a lot and always before going to sleep, so I wasn't sure my plan would work - but it did. The natural sounds of the Camino were the perfect accompaniment to my walk.

I had great plans for putting songs on my iPhone in case I needed them, but as usual, best laid plans....But I did get the Chieftans' album Santiago on there, as well as the soundtrack to Monty Python's Spamalot. Put them on random play I think 3 times when I was really dragging and no one was around. They helped. But 99.999% of the time I just enjoyed the silence/chatter of the Camino.

I brought some music on my last Camino, but didn't listen while I was walking. But on occasion I listened to it in the evenings when I was in my own room in a hostal or small hotel. My favorite was the music of Taize. Several of their pieces eventually became my mantras when going up inclines. Since then I have put together several playlists from various sources (including some from Radio Buen Camino!) that seem to remind me a lot of the Camino - and I play them almost every day at home. Will I take them on my next walk? I doubt it - but who knows. But I'm pretty certain I won't play anything while I'm walking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I made sure that I had all my regular favorite songs on my iPhone before I left. As it turned out, I ended up listening to beautiful music the entire walk and while I was in the albergues. I loved the sounds of the birds, the wind, the harvest, the trucks, the dogs, the bagpipes in the distance, even the snoring but, most of all, the "Buen Camino's", the laughter of other pilgrims and the chatter over meals. I saw only one pilgrim walking with the earphones in although there were a few at the albergues. To each their own but I'm not taking the earphones this year.

I find music works well as a painkiller, so always have a playlist on my smartphone. My old bones sometimes protest at night and I'd rather have a dose of music than an analgesic. It may not be needed but it is part of my "first aid" kit, along with the odd glass of red wine.

My favorite was the music of Taize. Several of their pieces eventually became my mantras when going up inclines.
Taize chant is extraordinarily well suited to fostering the walking prayerfulness, not unlike the Jesus prayer in The Way of the Pilgrim. I often listen to it when backpacking. Although I didn't listen to any music on the Camino itself, there were long stretches where I was softly (or even just mentally) chanting as I walked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find music works well as a painkiller, so always have a playlist on my smartphone. My old bones sometimes protest at night and I'd rather have a dose of music than an analgesic. It may not be needed but it is part of my "first aid" kit, along with the odd glass of red wine.
The "odd glass of wine" . . . would that be three? five? seven? I know my vote!

I didn't listen to any music last time and didn't miss it as there were so many other great sounds and experiences. However, I've made a playlist for my next Camino journey (just 4 days to go!) which I'll probably listen to on the plane and bus journeys. This is the Spotify link: Camino (but I've no idea how to share spotify music, so it may not work!). I particularly like the tracks from the movie Into the Wild (Eddie Vedder) - they feel very relevant to the Camino.
Good one Nuala
I'm going to save your idea.
Annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My favorites were: the sounds of nature, voices in many languages, the occasional silence.. and, when in the mood, a song that I belted out or hummed to myself, like Here Comes the Sun, Hit the Road Jack or whatever else little ditty that suddenly popped up! Playlist or not, may you enjoy the varied sounds along the way.. buen camino!

I took my fully loaded I pod nano, used it only on a very few occasions....soothing meditation sounds of waves to block the snoring at night, a couple of opera tunes to connect me to my fella back home & some selected tunes on the buses, trains heading home....otherwise the sounds of the walk itself were just perfect :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have listened to some podcasts at night ( mostly dharma talks)

Also, on the Meseta today there were very few people. I listened to favorite albums - Shawn Colvin, Ebba Forsberg, Mary Black, James Taylor. During a 40 km day I loved it- I was dancing.

Take earplugs out when meeting people.

I definitely don't intend to stay constantly 'plugged in', it's more for when I'm trying to fall asleep or as a polite way to say to people that I wish to be left to my thoughts for a while. The idea of taking audio books is an interesting one. I've never listened to an audio book as it seems like it would be harder to immerse your self in the writing, but if there will be little opportunity to read in the evenings I may give it a go.
NualaOC, I like your playlist, I'll definitely be including some of the tracks, especially the 'Into the Wild' album :)
I would find it very hard not to have some of my music with me on my upcoming trip. I love the sound of 'nothing' as well...it's whatever works for you. I will be listening (occasionally ) to Arvo Part, John Adams, John Tavener, Deuter and so on. Quite a lot of miserable music and I love it. May I suggest some Brian Eno and harold budd as well. Best, Tom O

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of my 2012 Camino walking-mates and I (half-jokingly) talked about making a Sounds Of The Camino CD - the birdsong, footsteps on the path, wind and rain, village water fountains, the tapping of walking sticks, church bells, creaky doors, rustling plastic bags, the long zzzzzzzipping of sleeping bags, snores and coughs, the occasional fart, the packing-up sounds, shoelaces being tied, the snapping of backpack clips and the tightening of straps, the cafe con leche machine, lots of laughter, many 'Buen Camino!'s. We thought it might be helpful to play the CD after the Camino to slowly adjust to getting back into Real Life, instead of going cold-turkey. I can re-experience the Camino through my photos, but I missed the smells and the sounds. For me, the hardest thing to get used to after each camino was waking up to silence on the first morning after my return and knowing I was totally alone. I missed my walking-mates and the Camino community--and the sounds they made.

I have made a playlist at Spotify that I can use in flightmode. 193 tracks... Everyone one the walkin' theme or legs and so on! But, I don't expect to listen very much. It's for fun! I'll start my first camino form Pamplona next monday! Wohoooo!!!!
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402860410.177774.jpg

MaryLynn! :) Your post reminded me of recording the frogs one morning. They were chirping and shrieking so loudly. (I had totally forgotten about that and now have to go in search of the recordings I made!) I loved the sounds of the Camino but admit, on some tough days, a little Black Eyed Peas and Playing for Change got me through. And of course, some soft music for those long nights when the snoring was just too loud.

XO
Renee

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a song by Watershed, a South African band called "Don't give up" . I love it and it can definitely become my camino theme song.

Last edited:
I don't care to listen to a music player while walking as I like to listen to nature and be aware of my surroundings. I do however, love music and hope to find some sing-alongs in the the evenings. I really love the old sad folk music from Ireland and the US. (I don't have a good voice but it is loud which encourages other people to sing along if only to drown me out.) :D

I opted out of music for the most part, but discovered Oliver Schroer's album "Camino" along the way and when I did want a bit of music, it was just perfect:

Reminded of Yeats poem, The Fiddler of Dooney.
WHEN I play on my fiddle in Dooney,
Folk dance like a wave of the sea;
My cousin is priest in Kilvarnet,
My brother in Moharabuiee.
I passed my brother and cousin: 5
They read in their books of prayer;
I read in my book of songs
I bought at the Sligo fair.
When we come at the end of time,
To Peter sitting in state, 10
He will smile on the three old spirits,
But call me first through the gate;
For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle 15
And the merry love to dance:
And when the folk there spy me,
They will all come up to me,
With ‘Here is the fiddler of Dooney!’
And dance like a wave of the sea. 20

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Soundtrack The Way!
If you like angel like chants: Anonymous4

If you want to, just take the music you like, perhaps make different categories for fifferent moods.

As I was afraid to encounter times of boredom, mp3 player had to go with me.
Surprise! Not used at all!

Not one mentioned the sound track from The Way. Hmmm. That will be played at least once for me.

I had a huge playlist largely consisting of Bob Dylan and Gillian Welch all planned out......then I decided to not take any electronics and went without music.

This is an engaging discussion! I didn't make a playlist before my Camino, and like many posters I found for the most part that I liked the natural sounds or silence while I walked. Having said that, I did dial up iTunes once in a while, mostly when I was either struggling to get moving or felt like singing. Most played artists for me:

Indigo Girls - great for rhythmic walking

Alanis Morrisette - when I felt 'that way' you know, a little anger & angst

Ethan Hanson - for totally 'feel good' inspiration

James Taylor - for homesickness Carolina in My Mind
:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just came back from three and a half weeks on the Le Puy route. Would never consider using any music playing device on any Camino. But alone on long days some tunes stick in your head. For 3 + weeks I could not get Kevin Jonhson "Rock n Roll I gave you the best years" out of my head, it followed me to a hundred Gites. OTT nostalgic, but a nice tune.
Dermot

I do have a funny memory of last October somewhere in Galicia of a young man with headphones in walking down a lane in front of us blithely unaware of the tractor behind him blowing his horn. :)

So whatever your music - take care with it!

This is an engaging discussion! I didn't make a playlist before my Camino, and like many posters I found for the most part that I liked the natural sounds or silence while I walked. Having said that, I did dial up iTunes once in a while, mostly when I was either struggling to get moving or felt like singing. Most played artists for me:

Indigo Girls - great for rhythmic walking

Alanis Morrisette - when I felt 'that way' you know, a little anger & angst

Ethan Hanson - for totally 'feel good' inspiration

James Taylor - for homesickness Carolina in My Mind
:)
Gotta agree Alanis Morrisette's song played in my head often...it was always when I had picked up a stick and wanted to start throwing it in the air as if in a Marching Band...:)
It never would have played in my mind had I not seen the movie though...
We must live near each other if James Taylor calls you home:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am tired of most music to begin with so for me I have never taken music with me on the Camino or any of my hikes. Why would you want to miss the sounds of the cuckoo birds or the complete quiet of the meseta, or the winds on O' Cebreiro or Cruz de Ferro or maybe miss the opportunity to have a conversation with a person that comes up behind you?

If I need tunes I whistle. ;)

Gotta agree Alanis Morrisette's song played in my head often...it was always when I had picked up a stick and wanted to start throwing it in the air as if in a Marching Band...:)
It never would have played in my mind had I not seen the movie though...
We must live near each other if James Taylor calls you home:)
I'm closer to Pinehurst than Chapel Hill, but I call NC HOME ❤️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I listened to music most every day on the Camino. I had playlists I'd culled, artists who spoke to me, and loved walking and listening. As I listen to some of that music now I literally walk in my head and can re-experience The Camino as I listen. I loved all of Leonard Cohen though one song in particular, not one of his, moved me deeply. The Touch of God's Hand from the album Good News by Robin and Linda Williams (with a few words changed) could have been written by a pilgrim.

The morning sun sends down its rays.
To warm my heart through every day.
The starlight beams that guide my way,
Are just the touch of God's hand.

The scattered pearls of morning dew,
The rainbow mist on hills of blue,
The silver veil of moonbeams too.

The soft warm breeze that brushed my hair,
The leaf that feel from who knows where,
The scent of wildflowers in the air,

The night wind's call that fills the sky,
The hum of wild wings sailing by,
The warm earth here on which I lie,

The mountain yields a water pool
Where pilgrims meet their feet to cool,
And I'm a carefree happy fool 'cause
I know the touch of God's hand.

The rain that falls I love so dear,
And joy is mine for walking here
I know that God is standing near,
I've felt the touch of God's hand.

Just came back from three and a half weeks on the Le Puy route. Would never consider using any music playing device on any Camino. But alone on long days some tunes stick in your head. For 3 + weeks I could not get Kevin Jonhson "Rock n Roll I gave you the best years" out of my head, it followed me to a hundred Gites. OTT nostalgic, but a nice tune.
Dermot
Agree. The day before and after Portomarin we were all thinking about Old Crow Medicine Show's "half mile down", about the intentional flooding of appalachian valleys in the USA. Very different cultural moment from Portomarin, but couldn't help but make the connection and think (hum?) of the song all day long.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Camino song was "The Suthern Cross" by Cosby, Stills and Nash with some adaptations:

Think about...
Think about how many times I have fallen
Spirits are using me larger voices callin'
What Heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten

I have been around the world
(Lookin' for...) Lookin' for Santiago's Cross
(I know I'm tired) I'm tired but I can endure
And I know I will
I know I will.

When you see the Santiagos Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a comin' day

Think about...

...I do however, love music and hope to find some sing-alongs in the the evenings. I really love the old sad folk music from Ireland and the US. (I don't have a good voice but it is loud which encourages other people to sing along if only to drown me out.) :D
In that case, if you're walking the Camino Frances, try to spend one evening in Carrion de los Condes which has an albergue run by an order of nuns that do a communal sing-along every evening before they prep a communal dinner. The sing-along happens in their albergue (not the church, which was confusing for a few of us pilgrims) and you don't have to be staying at their albergue to join in. They lead the singing of a few different songs off a song sheet they pass out and then ask for volunteers from different parts of the world to lead/sing songs from their countries. It was very fun!

In that case, if you're walking the Camino Frances, try to spend one evening in Carrion de los Condes which has an albergue run by an order of nuns that do a communal sing-along every evening before they prep a communal dinner. The sing-along happens in their albergue (not the church, which was confusing for a few of us pilgrims) and you don't have to be staying at their albergue to join in. They lead the singing of a few different songs off a song sheet they pass out and then ask for volunteers from different parts of the world to lead/sing songs from their countries. It was very fun!

That does sound like fun. Thank you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I listened to my nano whenever I was walking along roads or walking alone, and I absolutely love the soundtrack to The Way. Whilst I didn't listen to audiobooks on the camino, I have since then and Bill Bryson narrates his own books. He has a terrific sense of humour and I love listening to his books and smiling (and probably look crazy to the locals!) as I walk. I've listened to A Walk in the Woods (about the Appalachian Trail), In A Sunburned Country (about Australia), & At Home. I thoroughly enjoy them and look forward to getting my hands on a few more of his audiobooks.

Buen Camino!
Kat

I also enjoyed his book A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I just finished our Camino. While we were at A Parada Das Bestas near Palas De Rei I caught the Lana Del Rey version of "Once Upon A Dream." It instantly became our Camino song: "I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...." Aside from the music, this video reminds me of the Camino castles, knights and it even has three Galician witches. If it's a little cheesy it's because that definitely the Camino too.

The other song that frequented my mind while walking was the old Eurythmics song "Love is a Stranger." With the Camino as the Stranger: "Love is stranger in an open car that tempts in you and takes you far away...."

While getting ready for the Camino it was just an adventure. As we started walking it took us over like a tsunami and I don't think we will ever escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.