• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Police

Vonnie

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way - 2015
Hello All

Back from another wonderful camino walking trip. Would anyone know the instagram handle for the Camino Pilgrim police?

thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@guardiacivil062

A friend, looking over my shoulder at the photos of members of the guardia, assured me that they were all very hot. I'm not sure if that information is of any use to pilgrims.

PS Their cavalry squad has its own tag, for horse-lovers - https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/escuadróndecaballería/

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well their official description of the unit is ‘Guardia Civil Attencion al Peregrino’; that may get you a step closer.

They have their own sello; which I managed to get once.

I wish I'd known that, I was chatting to one of them on a quad last year on the Primitivo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What Pilgrim police??
A detachment of the Guardia Civil who are tasked with ‘looking after’ (in a nice way) Peregrinos on the Frances and the Spanish section of the Portuguese. Very friendly and approachable. There aren’t that many of them and you’ll possibly come across them issuing safety advice. If they have a marked car with them they carry a sello in it.

If I saw the police stopping at every pilgrim and asking them if everything was fine, I'd conclude that there had been some type of incident reported in the vicinity.

If I saw the police stopping at every pilgrim and asking them if everything was fine, I'd conclude that there had been some type of incident reported in the vicinity.
You would be wrong.
These are old-fashioned "community policing" cops, walking the beat.
We have a patrol in our area. They routinely stop and just greet people. They even come to our house and say hello, and inquire about how it's going hospitalero-wise. (they occasionally bring pilgrims to our house, when everything else is packed-out, or a big storm is coming. They also bring us stray dogs!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You would be wrong.
These are old-fashioned "community policing" cops, walking the beat.
We have a patrol in our area. They routinely stop and just greet people. They even come to our house and say hello, and inquire about how it's going hospitalero-wise. (they occasionally bring pilgrims to our house, when everything else is packed-out, or a big storm is coming. They also bring us stray dogs!)
Good to find this out. Thanks for the info.
I've walked lots of Caminos over the years but have not encountered them yet. Having read from the opening chapters of your book how much stray dogs enjoy their time with you, these community police officers clearly do indeed provide an important service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good to find this out. Thanks for the info.
I've walked lots of Caminos over the years but have not encountered them yet. Having read from the opening chapters of your book how much stray dogs enjoy their time with you, these community police officers clearly do indeed provide an important service.
I encountered them last summer when they were checking that people were OK and had water. Definitely looking after us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I encountered them last summer when they were checking that people were OK and had water. Definitely looking after us.
They sound like the modern day version of the Knight's Templar / Hospitaller.
Can't believe I've missed noticing them so far.

Just finished Burgos to Sarria. Not a day went by without seeing one of their patrol cars going up and down the route, or just parked under a tree. As a woman on her own, I have never, ever, felt unsafe walking the Camino.

I don't use Instagram, so can't help you there.

However, I found some contact information on this webpage:
https://www.guardiacivil.es/es/prensa/noticias/7072.html

Here is a quick translation (with original Spanish following):
In the event of any incident that may arise during your pilgrimage, contact the emergency telephone number 112 or the Civil Guard 062, or through the free ALERTCOPS app, especially through the "Guardian Benemérito" functionality that allows you to geolocate the pilgrim who activates it on a voluntary basis, allowing the sharing of their last 10 positions -sent and registered automatically by the App- in a specific operational center for coordination and monitoring of the Civil Guard, active 24 hours/7 days. In addition, an informative message is sent to those pilgrims using Alercotcops, with the telephone contact of the Civil Guard (062) accompanied by a message with safety advice. Instructions for using this application at the link www.guardiacivil.es/es/servicios/consejos and at the link https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/miarertcops/

Ante cualquier incidencia que le pueda surgir durante su peregrinación contacte con el teléfono de emergencias 112 o de la Guardia Civil 062, o a través de la app gratuita ALERTCOPS, especialmente a través de la funcionalidad “Guardián Benemérito” que permite geolocalizar al peregrino que la active de forma voluntaria, permitiendo compartir sus 10 últimas posiciones –enviadas y registradas de manera automática por la App- en un centro operativo específico de coordinación y seguimiento de la Guardia Civil, activo en modo 24 horas/7 días. Además se envía un mensaje informativo a aquellos peregrinos usuarios de Alercotcops, con el contacto telefónico de la Guardia Civil (062) acompañado de un mensaje con consejos de seguridad. Instrucciones de uso de esta aplicación en el enlace www.guardiacivil.es/es/servicios/consejos y en el enlace https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/miarertcops/

When I was 18 years old (it couldn't have been that long ago, although Franco was still in power...), I hitchhiked all around Spain. Once I got picked up by a small car with four Guardia Civiles, wearing those strange tricornio hats. I sat between two of them in the back seat, who were drumming on their machine guns on their laps, along with the music on the radio. I was sure I would be riddled with bullets at some point. They couldn't have been more than 17 years old.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Way back in 2019, we were walking between Navarette and Najera and had opted not to take the route via Ventosa, which most pilgrims took. It meant following a (Camino marked) country road along side the motorway for a short way, 3-4kms from memory but saved a couple of km by the time the two paths rejoined.

About half way along, we were approached by an oncoming police car, who said that they were just checking that we were okay and knew where we were going, which we did. We thought that it was odd that they were checking. After they left us they drove on and stopped at a group of 4 or 5 pilgrims a few hundred metres behind us.

Wish I had thought to ask for a sello!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back