A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Pilgrim Report

DowtyCamino

Camino(s) past & future
May-July (2014),
May-July (2017)
Just checking in to report. SJPdP to Burgos

Crowds: Same volume on the Camino at any one time as 2014 with no problems with overcrowding but Albergues the often near capacity vs many open beds.
Weather: Hotter than 2014 by a large margin
Litter: Camino seems to continue to be well kept and I've seen none of the problems I'd heard about. Several Pilgrims picking up litter as they go.
Bikes: Substantially fewer than 2014
Albergues: Cleary more available and more advertisements for them.
Ice cream and veggies: Our two big unexpecteds from 2014 (no veggies and bad ice cream) seems to have been anomaly. Both in good supply so far! :)

Camino(s) past & future
2011-12-14-15-16-17-18CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
Thanks for the update. I will be walking the CF from the second half of August and into the fall, and have been thinking about a Plan B in case of overcrowding. Maybe it won't be too bad then.
Re ice cream: Magnum ice cream bars were available in Spring 2012, and probably earlier. They are hard to beat!!!

Camino(s) past & future
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
I'm approaching Sarias and can echo your observations mostly. Have been largely avoiding the crowds by sticking to smaller hamlets and offsetting Brierley's daily plan.

The Camino does seem to be somewhat self cleaning, compared to American city streets for example.

Alas, Cannot share your opinion in ice cream though. The only hope is gelato in the larger cities.

Buen Camino,
- jgp

DowtyCamino

Camino(s) past & future
May-July (2014),
May-July (2017)
and on a separate bit similar vein, what was that magical elixir of golden spirit that I'd intended on trying on Camino??

Camino(s) past & future
I will be walking the Camino starting August 26, 2016 from St Jean.
Just checking in to report. SJPdP to Burgos

Crowds: Same volume on the Camino at any one time as 2014 with no problems with overcrowding but Albergues the often near capacity vs many open beds.
Weather: Hotter than 2014 by a large margin
Litter: Camino seems to continue to be well kept and I've seen none of the problems I'd heard about. Several Pilgrims picking up litter as they go.
Bikes: Substantially fewer than 2014
Albergues: Cleary more available and more advertisements for them.
Ice cream and veggies: Our two big unexpecteds from 2014 (no veggies and bad ice cream) seems to have been anomaly. Both in good supply so far! :)
Forget the ice cream (can't have it) bring on the melons. I was lucky and was given slices of melon instead. To me they were better than American melons. The other walkers saw they got the short end of the deal.

kdespot

Camino(s) past & future
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
Veggies??? You mean like on the plate, right? Not just walking by fields of them? Wow. Details, please... do tell!

DowtyCamino

Camino(s) past & future
May-July (2014),
May-July (2017)
Veggies??? You mean like on the plate, right? Not just walking by fields of them? Wow. Details, please... do tell!
Yes. On plates. In fact a full plate of veggies. As a starter we've had Judias verde (green beans). We had tons of asparagus and peas as well. GO figure...in2014 nothing...now, an abundance.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%