• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Routes within UK and Ireland

AcrossTheWater3008

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 2 2016, 17
CdM
Hi

I am interested in doing some pilgrimages within the UK and Ireland in the future. I have walked some routes around Canterbury.

If anyone know of any good guide books of these routes, or easy (dont understand ordinance maps) maps, or point me to websites, walking groups etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers G

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@bunnymac

Hey looks good! Fantastic scenery .... Hv you done the walk?

Cheers G

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The UK is not very well supplied with dedicated pilgrimage routes complete with guide books. For non-religious long distance walks along signposted routes, complete with detailed guides, you could try the various National Trails: http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ Or if you fancy walking for a whole week before Easter with a group of friendly nutters carrying a large cross, singing, praying and laughing quite a lot you might want to look at Student Cross (walking to Walsingham), Northern Cross (going to Lindisfarne) or Scottish Cross (heading for Iona).

http://www.studentcross.org.uk/
http://www.northerncross.co.uk/
http://www.scottishcross.org.uk/whatis.php

Personally I like to choose my own pilgrimage destinations and then make my own route there. That does involve map-reading skills. I know you say that you do not understand OS maps. There is probably nothing that would make life easier and more pleasant for you as a walker in the UK than spending a bit of time in getting to grips with them - preferably with a knowledgeable friend to help you. They are a fantastic resource once you get the hang of them.

Hey @Bradypus

Fantastic information, thanks!! I will get a friend to teach me those map skills. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Noooo... walking with "nutters" not my idea of fun.

Cheers G

There is a resurgence of interest in pilgrim routes in Ireland at the moment.
Two good books:
Tochar by Darach MacDonald (very cheap on Kindle) and
Pilgrim paths in Ireland by John G O'Dwyer
The first is more narrative, the second is more of a practical walking guide, that you would carry with you as a guide, though also an entertaining read. The books are quite different in style and very complementary.
And do explore this website www.pilgrimpath.ie which gives up to date information.
and a Facebook page.
Most of the walks described are do-able in one day, and remember Ireland is only small ;) so you could do several in a week!
Tim

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or if you fancy walking for a whole week before Easter with a group of friendly nutters carrying a large cross, singing, praying and laughing quite a lot you might want to look at Student Cross (walking to Walsingham), Northern Cross (going to Lindisfarne) or Scottish Cross (heading for Iona).
That description really made me laugh and made me want to sign up now for next Easter! I have never done Student Cross though I know a good number of people who have in the past, all of them people I would quite happily walk with for a week or more! But I am a priest and as they say, "Easter is our busy time!":)

Hi
Try http://britishpilgrimage.co.uk/
Lots of options in UK but not all advertised / signed so well
Not sure where in UK you are?
I'm doing the Peak Pilgrimage next month
See http://www.peakpilgrimage.org.uk/
I've done St Cuthbert's Way
I've walked Winchester to Canterbury
The LDWA has lots of long walks and some of them have "history"
Where are you based?
Ned

Two good books:
The first is more narrative, the second is more of a practical walking guide, that you would carry with you as a guide, though also an entertaining read. The books are quite different in style and very complementary.
And do explore this website www.pilgrimpath.ie which gives up to date information.
and a Facebook page.
Most of the walks described are do-able in one day, and remember Ireland is only small ;) so you could do several in a week!
Tim

I obtained both of these excellent books earlier this year (or maybe last) when researching the possibility of a long pilgrimage in Ireland. The Irish heritage website is also good.

The problem is taht these are all short walks, some of which are not accessible by public transport, so if you are a visitor, alone and don't have a car, forget it. A pity because these are important places of pilgrimage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you fancy a pilgrimage route a little longer in the tooth than the blessed Frances try the Ridgeway http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway. A prehistoric camino to the greatest neolithic temple complex in the known world ;). Non-pagans welcome....

Edit: Frankly I think most of the 'information' on the National Trails website is inaccurate and appallingly presented but there are good resources for anyone seriously interested in this ancient way.

Hi

I am interested in doing some pilgrimages within the UK and Ireland in the future. I have walked some routes around Canterbury.

If anyone know of any good guide books of these routes, or easy (dont understand ordinance maps) maps, or point me to websites, walking groups etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers G

Not a pilgrimage but hiked England's Coast to Coast last year and had a great time. After struggling with less than perfect maps, found the AZ Adventure Series with 1:25,000 scale map booklets (which means they are blown up quite a bit larger). The trails were marked in beautiful red dots so it was just walking dot to dot! They do have accurate topography, roads, landmarks and such, too. I love maps and use them more than a GPS. This was the most user friendly I've ever seen.

It looks like they have the Lake District, Brecon Beacons, North York Moors, SW Coast Path, Peak District and the Ridgeway. I have no idea if there are pilgrimages in any of these areas but if so, I would use these maps. Looks like Amazon has at least the Coast to Coast one. If you click on the image, it will blow up so you can see the trail's red dots.
Helvellyn.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Right now one of the forum members, Andy, is walking the Cistercian Way in Wales. He started last Sunday and will walk (I think) 700 miles in 6-7 weeks. He's also a priest, and posting a blog...
https://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/

I think the Confraternity of Saint James has some information on British pilgrimages, and as mentioned above, the British pilgrimage website.

Right now one of the forum members, Andy, is walking the Cistercian Way in Wales.

Andy spent the past couple of nights at my house and we walked together for 3 days. Worth pointing out that the Cistercian Way is still being developed and as yet does not really exist as a way marked route on the ground. A lot of work is going into devising safe and practical links between the abbeys that form the loop. Andy's experience will be fed back into the process. Still a lot of mapwork and careful route selection along the way. Not a route for the inexperienced at the moment in my opinion.

This isn't about a pilgrimage, but I'm thinking about walking the Thames Path beginning about 10 April next year, then to the Frances again as long as I'm "in the area" (it's a long way from Seattle). Any current info you can share would be interesting - about the Thames path as well as getting from UK to Spain (or SW France) as inexpensively as possible.
Thanks! Buen Camino! Terry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@AcrossTheWater3008 -

For Ireland, here is a site for the better known Holy Walks: http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/landscape/initiatives/the-pilgrim-paths/tochar-phadraig/

My wife and I have climbed the Croagh Patrick; no time time to do the walk from Ballintubber then but will pick it up later. (Those of you who remember the walk from Cruz de Ferro down to Acebo might not believe that climbing up and down the Croagh is an order of magnitude worse. Seriously!)

Not holy walks but still quite enjoyable are the Dingle Way (coming to be known as the "Kerry Camino") and any of the day hikes around the English Lake District.

I would get the OS maps for the Dingle Way from here: http://www.dingleway.com/trail-maps/index.php

The guide book sold from the site is pretty well dated. Good for overall briefing on what is there, the instructions for walking not so much. But, have no fear, the path is extremely well marked.

For updated information on any of the Irish walks, there seem to be lots of regional walking clubs that you could consult for information via the web. (Wish that I had known before going.:()

The walks are beautiful, the local food and brews excel but the best memory for the beloved and I were just how great the people were. Good heavens - the friendliness, humor and helpfulness were off the charts!

I highly recommend!

B

Any current info you can share would be interesting - about the Thames path

@OTH86 , hi.

I had to retire hurt (as they say in cricket), with pulled leg muscles, at Estella-Lizara in early May this year and stayed in the area = London in my case. As the walking improved I started Thames Path doing day trips (down stream) that I could easily get to and from my temporary London home. When things were easier I started a nine trip from Thames Head to Windsor, using my very lightweight tent most nights. And then went to the eastern end (Woolwich) and walked back up stream over three days to the end of my last day trip: for this segment I stayed in hostels, much as I would in France and Spain.

I used three aids. In no particular order:
Thames Path in the country - Source to Hampton Court - Official National Trail; and
Thames Path in London - Hampton Court to Woolwich (or Crayford Ness) - Official National Trail
Thames Path - Thames Head to Thames Barrier (just before Woolwich - Joel Newton

For these, and other possibles, I suggest you head to Stanfords, 12-14 Long Acre, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9LP or http://www.stanfords.co.uk/ This is a three floor shop in Central London dedicated to maps and related pursuits.

The third aid was OSMand+. This is an offline (in the field) map app for Android and works best on tablets. Turn on walking routes and you will see Thames Path and others that have been logged.

Being not unfamiliar with the country scene I found Thames Path very repetitive. Once I had walked through two or three fields that had no difference from the last ... So, wherever possible I would walk on roads going through towns and villages that are not on the formal pathway. Even more interesting way to meet people and see the country.

On the ground I found signage was confusing at times. In many cases very limited indications at intersections (paths or roads). There were just too many cases in the first three days of the step up to of down from a bridge being around 600 mm (2 foot): almost impossibly too much for those with good fitness but lessened agility. Another issue, directly related to the time of year, was thick oozy mud in many places from Thames Head to Putney when I first walked from mid June to late July. I re-walked one such section (Kinsgton to Kew Bridge) on the last Saturday in August (late Summer) and no mud so a very fast trip.

In London I took the opportunity to visit the two Monopoly (board game) stations (Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street) that I had not seen before (and other stuff). But you will have different interests.

Kia kaha (be strong, have courage, get going)

Last edited:
Whist not a pilgrimage route per se, the Thames path can be if you have a good imagination.
I did a three day walk a few years ago from Hampton Court Palace to the Tower of London
and then onto Greenwich. I reflected on the lives of Cardinal Wolsey and St. Thomas More
as we walked along. Meanwhile my walking companions worshipped at The Tate and anywhere
that sold Fullers. Each to their own.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two good books:
and a Facebook page.
Tim

Hi @timr

Brilliant information, thanks..! :) I will get those books... looks like they are available on Amazon. Will definitely explore the website in detail.... hmmmm... I might group those day walks together into a week/fortnight programme of walks.

Cheers G

Hi
Try http://britishpilgrimage.co.uk/
Lots of options in UK but not all advertised / signed so well
Not sure where in UK you are?
I'm doing the Peak Pilgrimage next month
See http://www.peakpilgrimage.org.uk/
I've done St Cuthbert's Way
I've walked Winchester to Canterbury
The LDWA has lots of long walks and some of them have "history"
Where are you based?
Ned

Hi @nedspencer, thanks and I am in London..... Wow.....! that peak pilgrimage will be something I would love to do! :) I belong to several walking groups but we do not do religious walks although we do walks that might merge with pilgrims paths. So, yes, I have done some of those paths.... thanks for the websites, I did google but the peak pilgrimage did not come up. I will be in the peak district beginning of October for a weekend before I go away but we will be doing the peak walks,

Have fun and thanks again! Cheers G

€46,-
I obtained both of these excellent books earlier this year (or maybe last) when researching the possibility of a long pilgrimage in Ireland. The Irish heritage website is also good.

The problem is taht these are all short walks, some of which are not accessible by public transport, so if you are a visitor, alone and don't have a car, forget it. A pity because these are important places of pilgrimage.

Hi @AJ, yes, I have heard before they were mainly short walks.... maybe there are some walking festival weeks in Ireland that one could attend and do those walks with like minded people. Such a shame if these routes are only accessible by car only.... :(

If you fancy a pilgrimage route a little longer in the tooth than the blessed Frances try the Ridgeway http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway. A prehistoric camino to the greatest neolithic temple complex in the known world ;). Non-pagans welcome....

Edit: Frankly I think most of the 'information' on the National Trails website is inaccurate and appallingly presented but there are good resources for anyone seriously interested in this ancient way.

Hi @Tincatinker

Thanks.... yes, I have done parts of the Ridgeway several times around Avebury as well as the Ivinghoe Beacon in Tring... but I would love to do the whole 85 mile stretch in one go! I love those walks too and we even lunched at Wayland's Smithy! But we didnt have horses nor did we camp overnight! Yes, would love to do that ancient route in 1 go!
Cheers G

Not a pilgrimage but hiked England's Coast to Coast last year and had a great time. After struggling with less than perfect maps, found the AZ Adventure Series with 1:25,000 scale map booklets (which means they are blown up quite a bit larger). The trails were marked in beautiful red dots so it was just walking dot to dot! They do have accurate topography, roads, landmarks and such, too. I love maps and use them more than a GPS. This was the most user friendly I've ever seen.

It looks like they have the Lake District, Brecon Beacons, North York Moors, SW Coast Path, Peak District and the Ridgeway. I have no idea if there are pilgrimages in any of these areas but if so, I would use these maps. Looks like Amazon has at least the Coast to Coast one. If you click on the image, it will blow up so you can see the trail's red dots.
View attachment 28932

Hi @Purple Backpack,

Coast to Coast is on my top list to do... have wanted to do this for a few months now, so will walk it, hopefully, soon. Yes, in the UK we have lots of beautiful places to walk..... we are extremely lucky!! :) Thanks, will be getting that book from Amazon!

Cheers G

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Right now one of the forum members, Andy, is walking the Cistercian Way in Wales. He started last Sunday and will walk (I think) 700 miles in 6-7 weeks. He's also a priest, and posting a blog...
https://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/

I think the Confraternity of Saint James has some information on British pilgrimages, and as mentioned above, the British pilgrimage website.

Thanks @julia-t , will contact the Confraternity of St James too

Cheers G

Hi @OTH86

I did the Thames Path quite a few years ago with one of the London walking groups - we walked it over a few weeks as we were all employed and in stressful jobs! I thinks we started off with about 70 walkers and we finished with half the number of original walkers - 15 of us completed the path and we awarded a gold medal! The rest had silver and bronze...

Thames Path is a level (flat) walk, no hills and is not strenous at all..... it is about 190 miles as we started from Gravesend and walked to the Source of the Thames in Gloucestershire. It is an easy walk, and one gets to see beautiful and parts of luxurious London! It is not exactly a pilgrimage but walking through London is quite an eye opener... with its rich history. You also pass other big cities too like Oxford, Windsor, Reading ...

We stayed in hotels along the way, and the towns are all accessible by train. It is fun, and I fully recommend it!

@AcrossTheWater3008 -

For Ireland, here is a site for the better known Holy Walks: http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/landscape/initiatives/the-pilgrim-paths/tochar-phadraig/

My wife and I have climbed the Croagh Patrick; no time time to do the walk from Ballintubber then but will pick it up later. (Those of you who remember the walk from Cruz de Ferro down to Acebo might not believe that climbing up and down the Croagh is an order of magnitude worse. Seriously!)

Not holy walks but still quite enjoyable are the Dingle Way (coming to be known as the "Kerry Camino") and any of the day hikes around the English Lake District.

I would get the OS maps for the Dingle Way from here: http://www.dingleway.com/trail-maps/index.php

The guide book sold from the site is pretty well dated. Good for overall briefing on what is there, the instructions for walking not so much. But, have no fear, the path is extremely well marked.

For updated information on any of the Irish walks, there seem to be lots of regional walking clubs that you could consult for information via the web. (Wish that I had known before going.:()

The walks are beautiful, the local food and brews excel but the best memory for the beloved and I were just how great the people were. Good heavens - the friendliness, humor and helpfulness were off the charts!

I highly recommend!

B

Hi @simply B

Thanks for great information and wonderful endorsement! Will definitely consult the walking clubs when I plan to go!

Cheers G

€60,-
I have 2 guide books on pilgrimages in England by Revd. John N. Merrill:
London to Canterbury
London to Walsingham.
He has written lots of others, have a look :)

http://m.johnmerrillwalkguides.co.uk

PS I have only walked to Canterbury, not yet to Walsingham!

Hi Dominique

Thanks!! Great information.... what I was looking for! Hoping to walk from Saltwood Castle to Canterbury this weekend... :)

Cheers G

The replies above make fascinating and almost mirror a certain political event in the UK a little over two months ago.

With roots in the up lands (and capital) of Scotland as well as northern Devon I am left with the impression, reading the posts above, that Christianity (and related pilgrimages) has no existence in those places.

Can someone, with knowledge, please redress the balance so far as walking pilgrimages are concerned?

Not at all a pilgrim path - but we walked from Newcastle to Cardiff along Hadrian's Wall a few years ago and loved it. There are companies that set you up with hotels, B&Bs etc, that was rather useful.

I suppose it COULD be a pilgrim path if you're a worshipper of the old Roman gods - there were lots and lots of Roman forts, complete with temples, on the way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

Cheers G
Te Wicklow way outside Dublin is good, the Sheepshead Peninsula in Cork is good too, not sure if you could call them pilgrim routes but they are spectacular.

@HeidiL thank you... I am very interested in doing the Hadrian s Wall... we did discussed it in a cafe in Santiago but the people I was with were interested in pilgrimages or Scotland s West Highlands...

Hadrian s Wall and Coast to Coast have been on my list for quite a while now!! :(

@Pato777 ... will explore that option too when I plan my Ireland pilgrim walks... enjoy Dublin s culinary and brewery delights too - will be something to think about ... what a combination to look forward to! :)

The other walk (?pilgrimage) I know about is an 830 mile walk by Ajahn Amaro, Theravadian Buddhist monk, currently the abbot of Amaravati Monastery.... in 1983, he walked the Long Road with a companion from Cithhurst monastery in Sussex to Harnham Vihara in Nortumberland. He documented the walk, with maps etc in his book Tudong - The Long Walk North.. if anybody is interested..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The problem is that these are all short walks, some of which are not accessible by public transport, so if you are a visitor, alone and don't have a car, forget it. A pity because these are important places of pilgrimage.
Yes, I am sorry to say that is true. I live, by appointment, not by choice, in very rural Ireland, in an area of outstanding natural beauty. I am originally from Liverpool and a "city person." I often find myself longing for the whiff of diesel, the scream of a police siren, the bustle of a crowded pavement and the beautiful sound of the bin lorry. (This is a minority view.) What I have is green fields, purple mountains, foxes, pheasants and deer. Oh dear!
I would be constitutionally a committed user of public transport, and subscribe to the dictum "use it or lose it." But there is virtually none here to use. This I am sure must be true of other rural areas in other countries. I am fortunate to have the use of a car, but look forward to giving up my car and job one day. At present I would have to drive five miles to get a very sporadic slow bus to Dublin, from where I would then have to 'start again' to get anywhere else. I sometimes make a round trip of 40+ km to buy the Guardian on a Saturday.
It is immensely sad that while the pilgrimpath.ie group are making efforts to delineate, mark and promote a series of paths and have a 'credencial' and even award a 'compostela' for those who do them all, the most difficult part of the pilgrimage is getting to each of the sites.
Sorry to be gloomy. I am off to Glendalough (32km) to walk today, but by car:(

Last edited:
UK has a wonderful network of public transport but there are pockets of places that are difficult to get to for walks... I suppose one could get to the nearest town and then take a cab to the walking spot, or walk... or hitch a ride, which I have done, in the past.

Last edited:
The other walk (?pilgrimage) I know about is an 830 mile walk by Ajahn Amaro, Theravadian Buddhist monk, currently the abbot of Amaravati Monastery.... in 1983, he walked the Long Road with a companion from Cithhurst monastery in Sussex to Harnham Vihara in Nortumberland. He documented the walk, with maps etc in his book Tudong - The Long Walk North.. if anybody is interested..

There was some discussion on this particular Buddhist form of pilgrimage a couple of months ago - including an account of a shorter walk along the Cotswold Way, as well as a very long journey through India. The book you mention and some others are available as free downloads and well worth reading for a different perspective on pilgrimage. Links and discussion in this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...blog-on-walking-in-england.41069/#post-416969

Hi @nedspencer, thanks and I am in London..... Wow.....! that peak pilgrimage will be something I would love to do! :) I belong to several walking groups but we do not do religious walks although we do walks that might merge with pilgrims paths. So, yes, I have done some of those paths.... thanks for the websites, I did google but the peak pilgrimage did not come up. I will be in the peak district beginning of October for a weekend before I go away but we will be doing the peak walks,

If you google peak pilgrimage it should come up???
http://www.peakpilgrimage.org.uk/

@Bradypus

Thanks for the link! Brilliant! I met Ajahn Manapo whilst I was at a retreat at Forest Hermitage a few years ago - such a soft spoken and kind man! I understand he returned from Thailand a couple of years ago..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@OTH86

Hi Terry, if you are walking the Thames Path, you could get to Biarritz from Stansted quite cheaply (I think it was £19 if nabbed early!) by Ryanair... or you could fly from Gatwick too... I paid £74 one way, as it was easier for me to get to Gatwick, but if you got the ticket early, Gatwick to Biarritz could be about £60 ny Easyjet. Alternatively you could take the Eurotunnel shuttle to Paris and onwards...

I would say your biggest expense whilst in London would be food, accommodation and train fares within UK itself...

Do let me know if you need further information.. G

we even lunched at Wayland's Smithy! But we didn't have horses nor did we camp overnight!
I have slept the night at Waylands Smithy - well I guess 'slept' is using the term a little loosely but it was an interesting night. I've rough-camped the Ridgeway a few times - easily enough done - though there is plenty of B&B & pub accommodation not far off-route.

I've also tried to link the Peddars Way (Pedlar's Way - as in salt pedlars) to the Ridgeway. Not entirely successfully but I am convinced that their were trade and pilgrimage routes from the North Sea coasts down to Avebury, Silbury, Stonehenge et al. It just needs all that time I never quite seem to have to cover the ground and find the natural lines of passage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apart from the link to the glorious account of the young Buddhist monk walking the Cotswold Way, there has been no mention of this 100mile walk, probably because it is considered relatively new.
But part of it follows an ancient (prehistoric?) route linking Iron Age hill fortresses, from Leckhampton to Haresfield.
There is an old pilgrimage route on some maps from Droitwich to Bristol - the old Roman Saltway. This 'ridgeway' crosses the Cotswold Way - perhaps at Saltridge Hill near Sheepscombe.
And not far away from the Cotswold Way is Laurie Lee's village of Slad. Last week I walked an ancient hollow-way named King Charles's Way; the threatened king rode along it during the Civil War while travelling to Painswick (a small market town through which the Cotswold Way passes) - the church tower still bears the cannon-ball scars.
The Cotswold Way may not be a pilgrimage, but it is certainly worth considering if you want a challenging walk: so many steep hills!

@Tincatinker , @julia-t .... I love the Ridgeway and, the Cotswolds.... I think I must have walked most of Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire........ , the beauty and the history is staggering.... I think, maybe we should form a UK pilgrimage club (dont think there is such a club!) and pool together to do these wonderful walks.... sigh........soooo many walks but soooo little time!

Last year, there was a London to Glastonbury Peace Pilgrimage to celebrate HH the Dalai Lama s 80 th birthday which I didn't attend as I was dealing with a deadline at work!

@Dael thanks for that info....! It goes into my action file!

Cheers, Ginette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Dael, thank you

I've just read an online review of Yeoman's book. And I am in the process of ordering one from Amazon UK.

Conscious that Caledonia got (the Christian) faith long before those a bit further south, I googled "pilgrimage in Scotland". The three links below are from the first page of what was found. And the first link below seems most relevant to walking today.

http://www.scotlandspilgrimjourneys.com/

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/04/09/researchers-trace-medieval-pilgrimage-route-scotland/

http://www.scottishheritagehub.com/content/443-pilgrimage-medieval-scotland

From a brief scan:
  • A pilgrimage from Edinburgh to Whithorn and S Ninian's monastery; and
  • A pilgrimage from Melrose Abbey to Lindisfarne and from thence to Durham to the final resting place of the Scot S Cuthbert (who was very much taken to heart by the northern English);
both look distinct possibilities.

@Dael, thank you

I've just read an online review of Yeoman's book. And I am in the process of ordering one from Amazon UK.

Conscious that Caledonia got (the Christian) faith long before those a bit further south, I googled "pilgrimage in Scotland". The three links below are from the first page of what was found. And the first link below seems most relevant to walking today.

http://www.scotlandspilgrimjourneys.com/

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/04/09/researchers-trace-medieval-pilgrimage-route-scotland/

http://www.scottishheritagehub.com/content/443-pilgrimage-medieval-scotland

From a brief scan:
  • A pilgrimage from Edinburgh to Whithorn and S Ninian's monastery; and
  • A pilgrimage from Melrose Abbey to Lindisfarne and from thence to Durham to the final resting place of the Scot S Cuthbert (who was very much taken to heart by the northern English);
both look distinct possibilities.

@AlwynWellington

Such brilliant information! Thank you! Will have a good look when I do my Scotland pilgrimages!

Cheers G

An interesting walk I did was from Hampton Court to Canterbury. Thames Path in two days to Erith. Then Darent Valley Walk to Sevenoaks (The ferry to Dartford closed in c 1200)! Then Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury in three days. Info at www.ldwa.org.uk.
If you prefer the wind ( and some rain) try the Llyn Peninsular Walk www.llyn.info/info/walking. Stunning cliff top views of Bardsey Island, Ynys Enlli in Welsh, the legendary "Island of 20,000 saints".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"...If you prefer the wind ( and some rain) try the Llyn Peninsular Walk www.llyn.info/info/walking. Stunning cliff top views of Bardsey Island, Ynys Enlli in Welsh, the legendary "Island of 20,000 saints"...

Or perhaps the North Wales Pilgrim Way which runs from Holywell to Ynys Enlli? (or at least to Aberdaron which is about as close as you get without a boat or swimming :) )
http://www.pilgrims-way-north-wales.org/

Last edited:
Hi

Cheers G

Good Morning!

I am a pilgrim. I also dabble in genaealogy. Sometime in the not too distant future I will combine the 2 endeavours.

I have been able to trace both sides of my family to England with birth, death, marriage, baptismal certificates and various other govt documents such as military, immigration, emigration and census records.

The results of my investigations have led to a vast number of addresses, churches, graveyards, villages, businesses, ports and other locations.

I am currently working through this rather large list to determine routes. These routes to include as many significant locations as possible.

The skeleton of my family pilgrimage so far looks like this
Preston to Liverpool to Sheffield (Trans Pennine)
I will then take the train to Winchester and walk the North Downs Way to Canterbury with numerous side trips eg Tunbridge Wells and numerous Greater London locations. Once at Canterbury I will go to Dovet to join the South Downs Way back to Winchester.

Due to its nature this will not be a continuous walk and it will involve several multiple night stays.

Planning is in the very early stages as my lack of English geographical knowledge and the village name changes over time are causing me fits.

All of the above to say that pilgrimages can be made for reasons other than religion and needn't be defined as a recognizable route on a map, have standard time restraints, singular purpose, shelter limitations etc.

There are numerous on line resources to provide huge amounts of information about any line between 2 places. This forum provides the voices of experience as an adjunct to the many other sources of information available and IMHO should not be seen as the definitive answer to any pilgrimage question.

Did I ramble?

Cheers
Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Books that might inspire you -
Pilgrim Paths In Ireland - John G O'Dwyer
Donegal, Sligo & Leitrim Walking Guide - Adrian Hendroff
East of Ireland Walks - Lenny Antonelli
Connemara & Mayo Walking Guide - Paul Phelan
Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way - Helen Fairbairn

All these books have been published by The Collins Press
Enquiries - enquiries@collinspress.ie
or by post to
The Collins Press, West Link Park, Doughcloyne, Wilton, Cork. T12 N5EF. Republic of Ireland

Wow...! Lots of information.... I have been looking at all the websites cited above, and am most impressed!! As I will be in Derbyshire walking soon, I might do the Peak Pilgrimage too!! Really excited - I had not realised there were soooo many routes in the UK/Ireland!

Thanks, folks!

@Jacobus, that is fascinating! Let us know how it goes! Reminds me of the TV programme "Who do you think you are" as it traces participants roots.... very interesting!

Cheers, G

As preparation for the Camino Frances next week I did the Way of St Andrews, a newish pilgrims route of 100km from Edinburgh, my home town, to St Andrews. I did it in stages on days off work by public transport. It has some rather lovely coastal scenery http://www.thewayofstandrews.com/ In part it uses existing coastal paths and the last 26km section was not particularly well marked.
There is also information about 5 other pilgrims ways in Scotland http://www.thewayofstandrews.com/route/routes-and-photos/
The St Cuthberts Way, also 100km, links Melrose with its famous abbey and Holy island in Northumberland. A truly beautiful walk. http://stcuthbertsway.info/
There is general information about Scottish pilgrims routes here as Alwyn mentioned http://www.scotlandspilgrimjourneys.com/pilgrim-journeys/ I have walked most of the Lothian and Lammermuir walk. It has some stunning coastal scenery especially in the Berwickshire section. It uses paths of the John Muir Way and Berwickshire coastal trail

Last edited:
There is a summer pilgrimage from Winchester cathedral to Canterbury cathedral on 12 August 2017 ending on the August bank holiday. It is, I understand, organised by the Dorking group in the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton. The cost, I have been told will be about 250£, but am unsure what is included. Please contact me if you wish to hv the contact details. There is a weekend reunion of past, present and future pilgrims 21 - 23 October 16 wt a 12 mile walk on saturday. The website is www.thepilgrims.org.uk

Thank you all for those inspirational posts. I am very interested in the South Downs Pilgrimage as this is my usual stomping ground. I will be in contact with them and see if I can help. Get´s the boots on and walks to Ditchling Beacon to enjoy the views.

Cicerone publish a guide to the Ridgeway. And don't forget the Icknield Way. There is an "Icknield Way Association" which publishes a guide to this route.

The Mary Michael Pilgrimage includes sections of both the Ridgeway and the Icknield Way. I walked this one in 2015.

"...If you prefer the wind ( and some rain) try the Llyn Peninsular Walk www.llyn.info/info/walking. Stunning cliff top views of Bardsey Island, Ynys Enlli in Welsh, the legendary "Island of 20,000 saints"...

Or perhaps the North Wales Pilgrim Way which runs from Holywell to Ynys Enlli? (or at least to Aberdaron which is about as close as you get without a boat or swimming :) )
http://www.pilgrims-way-north-wales.org/
North Wales Pilgrims Way is a beautiful little camino. Little in terms of not taking many days; however, not in terms of the difficulty of the terrain or navigation. Lovely churches along the route and met some local residents who were very supportive of this Pilgrims Trail and some working hard to promote it.

Here is link
http://www.peakpilgrimage.org.uk/

€46,-
North Wales Pilgrims Way is a beautiful little camino. Little in terms of not taking many days; however, not in terms of the difficulty of the terrain or navigation. Lovely churches along the route and met some local residents who were very supportive of this Pilgrims Trail and some working hard to promote it.

Hi Lucy

I was hiking with The Ecumenical Hiking Group in North Wales in Aiugust for 2 weeks this year ... unforutnately I had to leave after a few days due to a family emergency . We slept in church halls, community centres etc and it was beautiful countryside the few days that I was with the group.

We started in Bangor via Holyhead to Bangor and then to Holywell - a total of 192 miles (but unfortunately I had to leave at Holyhead :(

Wonderful, beautiful country!

Hi Lucy

I was hiking with The Ecumenical Hiking Group in North Wales in Aiugust for 2 weeks this year ... unforutnately I had to leave after a few days due to a family emergency . We slept in church halls, community centres etc and it was beautiful countryside the few days that I was with the group.

We started in Bangor via Holyhead to Bangor and then to Holywell - a total of 192 miles (but unfortunately I had to leave at Holyhead :(

Wonderful, beautiful country!
Hello
What a shame you had to leave early! It sounds like you were having a lovely walk. We have also walked some parts of the coastal path and North Wales Path in Wales from Caernarfon to Conwy earlier this year which was nice. We walked the Anglesey Coastal path too a few years ago and enjoyed that too. Wales is a lovely place to walk.

What a feast of information! When I clear the desk I will have plenty to look up and enjoy, virtually, this winter. When I clear the desk... well, I can shove aside some of the junk, have a cup of tea and work my way through the links in this thread. If I clear the desk I will have no excuse for not dusting...

To add to the mix - I recently ‘found’ the "British Pilgrimage Trust". Their website contains masses of information on British pilgrimage routes and, if required, downloadable GPS tracks (with info on how to download). I am aiming to walk St. Columba’s Way from Iona to St Andrews later this year.
A new dedicated path opens this Spring from Culross/North Queensfeery to St. Andrews.

There is a St James Way which covers 112k between Reading and Southampton. CSJ has the guidebook. I will be walking this at the end of May.

Apart from the link to the glorious account of the young Buddhist monk walking the Cotswold Way, there has been no mention of this 100mile walk, probably because it is considered relatively new.
But part of it follows an ancient (prehistoric?) route linking Iron Age hill fortresses, from Leckhampton to Haresfield.
There is an old pilgrimage route on some maps from Droitwich to Bristol - the old Roman Saltway. This 'ridgeway' crosses the Cotswold Way - perhaps at Saltridge Hill near Sheepscombe.
And not far away from the Cotswold Way is Laurie Lee's village of Slad. Last week I walked an ancient hollow-way named King Charles's Way; the threatened king rode along it during the Civil War while travelling to Painswick (a small market town through which the Cotswold Way passes) - the church tower still bears the cannon-ball scars.
The Cotswold Way may not be a pilgrimage, but it is certainly worth considering if you want a challenging walk: so many steep hills!
I know this post is a few years old but I was so happy to find it. We are heading out at the end of this month to do the Cotswold Way. We did the Coast to Coast last August; the result was my newfound love for long distance walking (hiking) with a goal to do the CF in 2020. I think England is an excellent training country for the Camino - all those amazing walking paths and areas of outstanding natural beauty (AONB).

The replies above make fascinating and almost mirror a certain political event in the UK a little over two months ago.

With roots in the up lands (and capital) of Scotland as well as northern Devon I am left with the impression, reading the posts above, that Christianity (and related pilgrimages) has no existence in those places.

Can someone, with knowledge, please redress the balance so far as walking pilgrimages are concerned?

Hi there, not too sure if its been mentioned already but there is a route called the Mary Michael which starts at lands end and winds up on the Norfolk coast. Its been a few years in the making and I walked the middle section. I believe its now been signed all along the way. They have done their best to take it past YHA accommodation, campsites, wild camping on Dartmoor and small hotels. There is plenty of bus and train access too. Its an interesting route along ley lines etc.
Worth looking up. They do a guidebook as well, I believe or at least they did for the middle section going towards Glastonbury.

Good luck,

The Malingerer

PS pretty sure they are on line.

I am very excited to see this thread, as I have recently decided to spend some time in Ireland in 2021, before going to Spain. I plan on flying to Ireland in September, for the 50th anniversary of my completion of my MA at UCD. I missed the convocation, which would have required a return flight from Edmonton. But I never saw much of Ireland 48 years ago: too poor and too busy with my studies. I would like to spend some time walking in Ireland, preferably a pilgrim route. But it would have to be accessible by public transport, though I suppose that a bus stop 30 km or so from when my walk starts would be possible, and Ireland is very small (from a Canadian point of view). My family, on both sides, mostly came from Ireland. If anyone knows of any medium distance walks easily accessible from Dublin, I would like to know. One of these days, I would also like to walk the Ridgeway, which has been on my bucket list for many years. I have resisted walking in Britain so far, since as a low income senior I cannot afford to do so. Any route that includes hostels and camping and is preferably a pilgrim route would be welcome. But Ireland is next in my plans. This should put me into Spain late enough in the year for the rush of 2021 to be largely over (I hope) and I shall look for a less busy route in Spain to walk that year.

I know this post is a few years old but I was so happy to find it. We are heading out at the end of this month to do the Cotswold Way. We did the Coast to Coast last August; the result was my newfound love for long distance walking (hiking) with a goal to do the CF in 2020. I think England is an excellent training country for the Camino - all those amazing walking paths and areas of outstanding natural beauty (AONB).
If you are stopping over in Painswick (approx mid-way point on the Cotswold Way) or nearby - let me know - maybe we could meet for a drink and talk all things Camino! I've walked the Frances, Kumano Kodo, and part of the Portuguese. And you are right - the hills in this part of England are excellent training for the Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are stopping over in Painswick (approx mid-way point on the Cotswold Way) or nearby - let me know - maybe we could meet for a drink and talk all things Camino! I've walked the Frances, Kumano Kodo, and part of the Portuguese. And you are right - the hills in this part of England are excellent training for the Camino!
That sounds wonderful! We are scheduled to stay in Painswick on Saturday, the 3rd of August. Are you on WhatsApp by chance? Maybe we could get in touch that way

The Wicklow Way may be an option.

@Marc S.
I had a quick look at the information for both ends of this trail. One end of this trail is in a suburb of Dublin and is easily doable. It looks like bus transport to near the opposite end of the trail in Clonegal (to 3 km away) is possible, which puts this walking route at the top of my list for the moment. Thank you for the link.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That sounds wonderful! We are scheduled to stay in Painswick on Saturday, the 3rd of August. Are you on WhatsApp by chance? Maybe we could get in touch that way
Hi
Yes, I use WhatsApp. I don't want to post my phone number here, so will try to send you a direct message here.
The 3rd will be great. Look forward to meeting you.

I am very excited to see this thread, as I have recently decided to spend some time in Ireland in 2021, before going to Spain. I plan on flying to Ireland in September, for the 50th anniversary of my completion of my MA at UCD. I missed the convocation, which would have required a return flight from Edmonton. But I never saw much of Ireland 48 years ago: too poor and too busy with my studies. I would like to spend some time walking in Ireland, preferably a pilgrim route. But it would have to be accessible by public transport, though I suppose that a bus stop 30 km or so from when my walk starts would be possible, and Ireland is very small (from a Canadian point of view). My family, on both sides, mostly came from Ireland. If anyone knows of any medium distance walks easily accessible from Dublin, I would like to know. One of these days, I would also like to walk the Ridgeway, which has been on my bucket list for many years. I have resisted walking in Britain so far, since as a low income senior I cannot afford to do so. Any route that includes hostels and camping and is preferably a pilgrim route would be welcome. But Ireland is next in my plans. This should put me into Spain late enough in the year for the rush of 2021 to be largely over (I hope) and I shall look for a less busy route in Spain to walk that year.
Greetings @Albertagirl . You have picked up on the most significant difficulty for pilgrim walkers in Ireland which is, sadly, getting there. Public transport is very, very, very, very, limited in Ireland. I was living there for the past 7 years, but as I was living in a very rural area, had to leave the country when I (chose) no longer to have a car. So I have come to live in London with quite exceptional public transport. Rant over! :)

Check out Pilgrim Paths website for great information. I have done three or four of these paths - most are one day. There is a pilgrim paths week each year over the Easter period, but the paths can be done year around.
And the best commercial guide is this - which is available on Kindle quite cheaply. It is VERY good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1848893159/?tag=casaivar-21
Other problem with Ireland is that it is NOT cheap. But very hospitable.

Last edited:
Greetings @Albertagirl . You have picked up on the most significant difficulty for pilgrim walkers in Ireland which is, sadly, getting there. Public transport is very, very, very, very, limited in Ireland. I was living there for the past 7 years, but as I was living in a very rural area, had to leave the country when I (chose) no longer to have a car. So I have come to live in London with quite exceptional public transport. Rant over! :)

Check out Pilgrim Paths website for great information. I have done three or four of these paths - most are one day. There is a pilgrim paths week each year over the Easter period, but the paths can be done year around.
And the best commercial guide is this - which is available on Kindle quite cheaply. It is VERY good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1848893159/?tag=casaivar-21
Other problem with Ireland is that it is NOT cheap. But very hospitable.
Thanks, @timr
In my post#75 just above I have expressed my hope that the Wicklow Way may be a possibility for me to spend some time walking in Ireland. I looked at the online information for access to this route at both ends, and there are currently buses to and from Dublin, in town at one end and within 3 kms of the other end. I would probably take the bus out from Dublin and walk back. I am remembering an excursion to the Wicklow Hills which I took with friends on April 11, 1971, which was both my birthday and Easter Sunday. That afternoon, for the first time, I heard a lark sing. I would like to return to Ireland and 2021 seems an appropriate date. The website for the Wicklow Way states that the route is a one week walk. I have lots of time to look into accommodation and costs, but I expect that one week would be within my budget. And I may camp, if that is permitted. This may be an unusual prelude to walking another camino in Spain, but I shall try to fit it in around whatever celebrations are going on for homecoming during the 50th anniversary of completing my MA at UCD. It is the coincidence of that occasion with the busy Holy Year camino that encourages me to fit the two together and start walking in Spain, and probably volunteering, a little later than usual. I am also walking this fall: Madrid to Frances to Invierno, and I expect that I shall walk again next year, although I currently have no route in mind. There seems to be lots of time to plan, but I am spending masses of time putting together my walk this fall, so no doubt the two years will pass quickly. Thanks again,
Mary Louise

€149,-
Hello again @Albertagirl Mary Louise, it is always interesting to learn of your plans. Where I lived for the seven years recently was just a short walk from the Wicklow Way, around the middle, but I have to say I have never done it! Glendalough was about 40 minutes drive away and a frequent trip for a day's walk. You will see it listed in the Pilgrim Path routes.
You can get your credencial stamped for 25km on some of the pilgrim paths and add that quite officially to the Camino Ingles 75km and qualify for a Compostela that way, but I am sure you have something much longer planned.
I walked CdM a few years ago - indeed it was just after that when we met. It is still a favourite route of mine, and I have the Invierno rising rapidly up my list of things to do next, although I am distracted at the moment with trying to get to Jerusalem.
Buen camino and very happy planning. And jubilee congratulations in advance! Tim

@timr
I am totally discouraged about walking the Wicklow Way and about walking in Ireland in general. There is one youth hostel at the end of the first day's walk and otherwise accommodation is generally quite distant from the route, and very expensive. Every possible way to get more cash from the walker has been employed and the charges for everything are large. The route itself looks well worth walking and transportation is available, but my general feeling about the services is not favourable. I could sum it up by the title of an article in an Irish newspaper which refers to the proliferation of country walks as a way to provide cash for the countryside. But the places which are getting the cash are not even close to the actual route, and are getting even more cash by requiring potential guests to book and pay for transport to their accommodation: definitely not for me. When I walk, I walk. Fortunately, there are lots of places in Spain to do so. I shall still go to Dublin in the fall of 2021, but at the moment it looks like I shall stay in the city until I am ready to leave for Spain. I may take a day to wander in the Wicklow Hills and remember my youth.

I am totally discouraged about walking the Wicklow Way and about walking in Ireland in general. There is one youth hostel at the end of the first day's walk and otherwise accommodation is generally quite distant from the route, and very expensive.

I agree, @Albertagirl.

I’ve sometimes wondered if there was any way to make a network of Camino pilgrims from Ireland/NI who might be interested in offering affordable, albergue type accommodation at their homes to fellow pilgrims who want to walk here.

@Albertagirl Mary Louise I share your disappointment. Ireland has very little public transport and Ireland is exorbitantly expensive. These two realities detract from the many wonderful aspects of life there. Tourism is strongly focussed on comfortable tourists in comfortable tour buses. From faraway lands....
All the more wonderful then to see groups like Knockmealdown Active, an extraordinary group of volunteers who have promoted St Declan's Way
The volunteers at Glendalough, the Friends of St Kevin's Way are similarly devoted
And equally the wonderful team at Ballinutbber
But the overwhelming problem remains. How do you get there? Where do you stay?
Sad.
Tim

€46,-
Thank you for the suggestion. This link does not work for me.

Sorry about that, but it works for me. If you google Louise Nugent archaeologist you should be directed to her site.

€46,-
Hi @OTH86

I did the Thames Path quite a few years ago with one of the London walking groups - we walked it over a few weeks as we were all employed and in stressful jobs! I thinks we started off with about 70 walkers and we finished with half the number of original walkers - 15 of us completed the path and we awarded a gold medal! The rest had silver and bronze...

Thames Path is a level (flat) walk, no hills and is not strenous at all..... it is about 190 miles as we started from Gravesend and walked to the Source of the Thames in Gloucestershire. It is an easy walk, and one gets to see beautiful and parts of luxurious London! It is not exactly a pilgrimage but walking through London is quite an eye opener... with its rich history. You also pass other big cities too like Oxford, Windsor, Reading ...

We stayed in hotels along the way, and the towns are all accessible by train. It is fun, and I fully recommend it!
Hi,
I know that your post is old by now but I wonder if you have done a doc about your walk. I am interested in the list of the hotels/inns along the path, logistics in general and of course the cost.
Is there any pilgrim passport or possibility to get stamps at all as I like to frame those.
Thank you
Regards from Croatia
Zoran

@Zoran K. try here: https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/thames-path/ for most answers to your questions. There is no equivalent to the Credencial that I am aware of. There is certainly no inexpensive pilgrim accommodations :( Budget about £150 per day unless you are planning to free-camp.

If you design your own Passport most businesses, post-offices, Town Halls and Museums and Places-of-interest will have a stamp or seal but they may not understand your request.

OMG £150 per day, ouch.
Well I did VF (Lucca to Rome) in August 2020 and it was about 120-150€ per day.
Well I can take Camino passport and use it but I am aware of the fact that they will not understand my request for stamps.
I presume there is no "compostela" of some kind either :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another option is St Magnus Way on Orkney in Northern Scotland.
www.stmagnusway.com

It's about 58 miles long and rustic. Then again, it is Orkney! The trail is very basic though well marked. The path along the sea can be very slippery when you start out. I fell numerous times and am lucky I didn't break anything. As the Way negotiates along the coast there is very little room for error as the path is bordered by farm fences on one side and sheer drop offs down the cliff on the other and steep ravines . Stinging Nettles are in great abundance and painful once scratched. The Way is only a few years old and there is no infrastructure to speak of. I stayed at the Mill of Eyrland and my hosts dropped me off each day and, if needed, picked me up. You see a lot of the island, along the coast North Sea, Scapa Flow in the south and many small hamlets until you reach Kirkwall and St Magnus Cathedral where the Saint bones are encased in one of the large pillars near the altar. I didn't meet any other walkers (August 2019) but a lot of sheep and cows.
Worth a look.

Thanks!
I plan to walk Cumbria in 2022 so I might continue to Scotland.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This link may be of help for info on pilgrim paths in Ireland.

@timr
I am totally discouraged about walking the Wicklow Way and about walking in Ireland in general. There is one youth hostel at the end of the first day's walk and otherwise accommodation is generally quite distant from the route, and very expensive. Every possible way to get more cash from the walker has been employed and the charges for everything are large. The route itself looks well worth walking and transportation is available, but my general feeling about the services is not favourable. I could sum it up by the title of an article in an Irish newspaper which refers to the proliferation of country walks as a way to provide cash for the countryside. But the places which are getting the cash are not even close to the actual route, and are getting even more cash by requiring potential guests to book and pay for transport to their accommodation: definitely not for me. When I walk, I walk. Fortunately, there are lots of places in Spain to do so. I shall still go to Dublin in the fall of 2021, but at the moment it looks like I shall stay in the city until I am ready to leave for Spain. I may take a day to wander in the Wicklow Hills and remember my youth.
This may be a moot point in the present circumstances but....

I'm just now, looking back over this thread and I'm sorry that your impression of walking in Ireland, and in particular the Wicklow Way, is less than positive. I've walked it a number of times over the years and in all weathers, alone and with visiting camino friends. It's short at just 130km, but can be quite challenging...it's also remote and breathtakingly beautiful in parts.... ok, I'm a little biased, I live just a few km from the northern end. But if I could make just a couple of observations for anyone considering it:

Yes accomodation is limited; there are just two 'albergues' along the way, one at Knockree at about 20km, the second at Glendalough about 30km further along (walking south). Both these places are affordable at around €20 for a dorm bed with full use of really decent facilities for cooking and relaxing. In addition, there are a couple of free basic shelters in the mountains for campers. Many people camp wild, and as long as you're respectful and discreet, it shouldn't be a problem. There are other private accomodation options on or close to the way, at least 10 that I know of, easy to find and book online.

In my view, the first 50km of the Wicklow Way walking south is by far the most scenic and interesting, and there is public transport by bus to and from both locations (Marley Park and Glendalough). Further south it levels out and there is more asphalt, and it's less accessible without your own transport.

Yes, Ireland like the rest of Northern Europe is expensive, especially for tourists, and more especially if you compare it to Spain or Portugal, but please don't dismiss it as a rip off (bear in mind that Glendalough, as well as an important historical site is a major tourist attraction). People are warm and friendly and will often go out of their way to help you.

As I said, the Wicklow Way is probably more challenging than any of the Spanish caminos and you need a little forward planning, food supplies and good clothing (you can get four seasons in an afternoon in the Wicklow mountains!)

If you do consider it in the future, let me know if you want any help with planning or info, I would be happy to help...

Last edited:
I've recently come across an Irish pilgrim tradition (below) and wondered if it is true or another one of the gentle stories you find there. If it is true, then there is no need to follow any route

In the tradition of Celtic monasticism, a very unique practice of pilgrimage arose called peregrinatio. The Irish monks would set sail in a small boat called a coracle, without oar or rudder, and let the winds and current of divine love carry them to the "place of their resurrection." The river or sea would bring them to a place of rest that they had not chosen themselves. The impulse for the journey was always love. It was a practice of profound trust in the One who guides and shepherds us to the place of new life.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(bear in mind that Glendalough, as well as an important historical site is a major tourist attraction).
I have spent two weeks touring in Ireland a few years ago as a tourist and fell in love with your country. I thought Glendalough was a lovely, impressive stop and you have reminded me of my memory...being a tourist isn't "all bad".😃

I've recently come across an Irish pilgrim tradition (below) and wondered if it is true or another one of the gentle stories you find there. If it is true, then there is no need to follow any route
Yes, the idea was borne out of waiting 2 hours for a bus in mid winter in torrential rain, dreaming of being magically transported to your bed while wondering if you'll ever actually get home when all of a sudden 4 buses arrive together..

Yes, the idea was borne out of waiting 2 hours for a bus in mid winter in torrential rain, dreaming of being magically transported to your bed while wondering if you'll ever actually get home when all of a sudden 4 buses arrive together..
It seems as if bus drivers everywhere get lonely or scared when driving by themselves and prefer to travel in packs.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back