• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Pilgrim safety on roads in Galicia

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
I wasn't sure where to put this...
http://www.farodevigo.es/galicia/2016/02/16/peregrinos-llevaran-cubre-mochilas-visibles/1405886.html

Basically, they're handing pilgrims backpack covers so they're more visible on roads, to hopefully reduce the number of accidents.
Already happened to our little group on the Sanabres last Summer, the police was giving out high visibility jackets to be worn on the backpack.

They've also put new speed limits as well as lighted signals where the roads cross the camino.
There will also be 5 new underground passages in/around O Pino.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I walked the Camino de Chimayó here in the US last Fall. Because a majority of this journey entails walking on or immediately beside roadways, my wife made us a couple of safety panels consisting of safety orange fabric which we clipped onto our backpacks with short, lightweight bungee cords. We used a sheet of US legal sized paper (8.5" x 11" or approx 20 x 36 cm) as a template. We sewed two strips of reflective silver tape on the panels for low-light visibility, and punched small brass grommets into the corners to secure the bungee cords. These panels weigh less than an ounce, and fold into tiny squares for storage in a side pocket of the backpack when not in use.
Backpack Safety Panel 2.jpgBackpack Safety Panel 1.jpg

Thanks for the info

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This Gallego pilgrim safety program was driven into being by Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago (FICS), the activist group founded a year ago in Villafranca de Bierzo.
The dangerous spots along the Way have been documented for years, but nothing was done about it until people started showing up for meetings, writing letters, enumerating the "black spots" along the Way for media reports, and holding the safety officials accountable for doing their jobs.
You should see slow-down flashing lights going up at three more intersections within the next year.

When people start making noise, things get better.
Not that the politicians are mentioning that... this was all THEIR idea!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to our Original Poster and to dear Rebekah. There was a post a couple of years back (may 2013 or 2014) about two pilgrims being involved in a fatal accident and there was a recommendation then suggesting/recommending pilgrims to wear "high-viz" vests (at least on the back of their backpacks). I was always conscious of cars/trucks on the major roads in Spain, especially the section from Villafranca del Bierzo to Herrerias. I gave up counting the number of pilgrims walking "all over the road" on this section. Maybe Ivar (or David) can add "high-viz" tape to the list of pilgrim resources. Safe "buen Camino"!;)

I think Ivar could sell them, as long as we were clear on the size of backpack they work with. Why have to wait to Galicia to get one?

Since we walk our caminos and long distance paths allways carry lightweight fluorescent safetyvests with us(as anyway in some European countries, you are obliged to keep them in your car) . Sometimes we wear them at the frontside when the traffic is coming towards us -happens in Portugal for some stages) aswell hanging at the backpacks. The vests are cheap and light and easy to store at the side of your pack or in your pocket.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Throughout most of Europe reflective vests are generally sold in large gas stations. Inexpensive and lightweight they are always available in stops which cater to long distance truckers such as the routiers in France....Wear them wherever you may be walking not only in Galicia.

For more on reflective vests see this earlier Forum thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/reflective-vests.38005/

Reflective pack covers are good, but if walking on the correct side of the road IMO you still need something at the front too. That is why we adapted and wear our reflective jackets on some sections plus the hanging bikers strips.
Walk safely :)

Hi-viz lightweight running gear, such as hats/caps, gloves, vests, waist packs etc. is also very useful on the Camino. I've just bought this bottle belt http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-reflective-bottle-belt-765253?colcode=76525390 - it's a slightly higher-vis version of the one I used last year. Much cheaper and more reflective than the hiking versions. I agree with @Tia Valeria - we need to be visible to the oncoming traffic. I'm always amazed by the number of pilgrims who don't seem to know or observe the basic rules of road safety.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just found a pair of hi-viz armbands that my wife bought for running some years ago. I'll fix them to my backpack, front and rear. (As well as the reflective tape on my poles, the red safety light for my backpack and headlamp for in front, and hi-viz pack cover. Safety first.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And yesterday I secured a sun hat by Outdoor Research, the Solar Roller sun hat in Laurel colour. They also have the Sun Runner Cap in Lemongrass coulour that would do the job. This last one is a baseball cap with detachable flaps to cover the neck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cue stories about ghostly pilgrims marching endlessly across the Meseta ...

Actually, it looks promising. Hopefully there's more information about it: is it waterproof, for instance, and how often does it need to be reapplied?

I'm walking the Camino Notre this April/May and knowing that there is a fair amount of road walking I've been looking at using cycle lights on my backpack, especially for those early morning starts. I've settled on a small rechargeable one (Lexyne KTV). On intermittent mode it lasts for 6 or 7 hours so should be good for several days
.20200122_175231.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back