• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim scallop shell

S

sjf

I'll be walking next month and I've read a number of things that talk about how every pilgrim has a scallop shell. Is this something you took? If so, what kind (real shell, patch, something else)? Where did you get it, and how did you carry it - on your backpack, on you, or???

I don't have a lot of access to Camino scallop shells in my daily life and and wondering: is this a real thing? And do I need one?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, not everyone has one. I am sure someone will enlighten you of their history, but it's not mandatory. Many of us develop quite a fondness for this pilgrim symbol, some of us even end up tattooing them on our bodies. If you are interested, you'll find it pretty easy to buy a scallop shell when you are on the way...

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On my first pilgrimage I decided not to carry a shell until I had reached Santiago - my understanding being that it was traditionally a badge for those who had completed the journey. Many people now carry one from the start. I have a small metal shell badge on my hat these days. It is entirely up to you how and when you wear a shell.

Really up to you. I had a shell on my first Camino (bought it in Roncevalles). Now it's just two small pins on the hat (yellow arrow and shell) and a small shell pin on the backpack.

How, where and if you want to wear a shell is up to you. We got our shells from an appetizer sold by our local grocery store, and we're not closer than 1.5k miles from the ocean. We decorated ours with a version of our state flag. Many people recognized our flag and it was a way to start a conversation.

Attachments

• DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 45
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Almost every shop along the Camino sells scalops shells.
Some walkers carry every Camino trinket (there are plenty) imaginable; you can buy some in this forum. Others don't. It is up to you.
I personally prefer a sober look, but I have hung a shell from my backpack when I do less trodden and known Caminos, where local people could start wondering what exactly is doing an unknown person walking by their villages.

In June 2010 I was in Burgos (travelling by car) when I saw people with back packs asking directions very early one Saturday morning. By the Sunday night I had got my shell (hving asked what the custom was) and was in Sarria.

When I started from Le Puy in April 2016 I had that shell and a Paua (North America = abalone) on my pack. These showed where I was coming from and where I was headed. And formed a conversation starter at times.

Telling a friend they were both quite heavy I was absolutely chuffed when she found a very small scallop shell a few days ago.

So, when I restart from Estella-Lizarra in a little four weeks I willl have toekn symbols on my pack.

Just don't aks me to scoop water out of a stream with either.

It is my understand that, originally, the scallop shell was presented by authorities at Santiago as a sign that the holder completed their pilgrimage. It was more durable and wearable than a parchment Compostela.

Indeed, some European pilgrims were buried wearing their conchas. Back in the day, having completed and survived the Camino, and returned home to tell about it was a HUGE accomplishment. When living in Belgium for a few years, I even saw gravestones engraved with conchas. One presumes they wanted all to know that 'here lies a pilgrim." Others may know more about this.

However, and again, way back when, unscrupulous vendors along the Camino began to offer these shells to anyone who paid their asking price. Over time, the scallop shell then became a useful badge to identify one as a pilgrim enroute to Santiago, instead of one who had completed a Camino. Over the years, the latter context has become the default context. You wear a shell, people recognize you as a pilgrim on The Way.

Along the way, the shell might also have been helpful as a drinking cup, spoon type device for eating from a communal pot, a musical instrument (when two are rubbed together back-to-back), or a tool for use where some sort of scraping action was needed. It served as sort of a multi-tool of the time.

For reference, and unless something has changed, the shells offered at St. Jean Pied de Port are of the plain, unstenciled variety. I was told they are obtained from local restaurants that offer Coquille St. Jacques on their menu. Now, you know where the name of this popular French entré comes from.

These shells do not have the red, painted-on with a stencil, Cross of Santiago. At, the Pilgrim Office, this is one way I use to identify someone who has walked from StJPdP. Most all other shells obtained at any other place, including the Pilgrim Office, are obtained from commercial vendors who pre-apply the Cross of Santiago, using a stencil. This is only suggestive, not categorical. But, it gives me an opening for a polite chat about their Camino while they are waiting on line.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quick drying and light tech clothes, together with a backpack and suntan on the left side of your body are all good hints that you are walking to Santiago.

I find the painted shell sold in tourist shops to be just that, a tourist gimmik anyone can purchase.

I am old school and believe one earns a shell by walking into Santiago.

I have two shells. One from my first Camino, from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP. The other was given to me by a hospy in VDLP. Both are natural shells. I have never worn them. Never will. But they both adorn a part of my house as they are important momentos of my time of the Caminos.

Saw beautiful natural shells in the one shop in Hornillos, or Hontanas, which ever tiny town with the muni in the townhall itself by the church is. Beautiful shades of pinks and sand colour..

For a bit of fun I have started collecting patches for my backpack, but have yet to sew them on. Patches are of where the pack has been to. And never shall it have a flag from home. That just irks me as I cannot help but see it as flagwaving.

I also have bought pins and ribbons of the Camino for my hat. Problem is that I never wear the hat as I don't like wearing hats, but it is quite striking. Well, it is high viz yellow after all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It comes from me anecdotally. However, it came TO me accumulated over years of hearing or reading one version or another of how the concha thing got started. I merely synthesized it into something that makes logical sense. But, all the essential elements are well-documented.

Then, there is the ongoing discussion of the symbology behind the scallop shell, all paths leading to Santiago, etc.

This is followed closely by a discussion of whether, for directional signage, the "hinge end" of the scallop shell should be pointed in the direction of Santiago, as all the veins or ribs on the shell proper converge at that point. Some folks maintain it should be the opposite, though I forget the reason for that.

Ask three pilgrims and you will get five opinions. I am in the former camp, the hinge side points towards Santiago. But, whatever...

Camino one: Scallop shell from Pilgrim Office in SJPdP got blown away in a storm on day two. :( Camino two: Yellow arrow from church at Estella on my hat turned out to be made of paper and disintegrated in the rain. :( I however, did not get blown away and nor did I melt in the rain. :p:p:p Did see several pilgrims using their scallop shells to drink wine from the Fuente de Vino. ;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I use a small version of the big white shells they offer at the Pilgrim office in SJPdP. Mine is white with pinkish speckles, but shaped the same. I found it on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico while on vacation. If weight is everything on the Camino, then this small shell really helps me out! :)

I got mine here in Pittsburgh from a fish market. I had a friend paint the cross of St. James on it and drilled two holes on it to put on my back pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino one: Scallop shell from Pilgrim Office in SJPdP got blown away in a storm on day two. :( Camino two: Yellow arrow from church at Estella on my hat turned out to be made of paper and disintegrated in the r:rolleyes:ain. :( I however, did not get blown away and nor did I melt in the rain. :p:p:p Did see several pilgrims using their scallop shells to drink wine from the Fuente de Vino. ;)
Off topic, HedaP, but is your new avatar a picture of your dual purpose Camino shower shoes/evening sandals? Very similar to mine and I usually wear them with socks on my spring caminos. I'll have to get used to seeing your new photo, I always recognized your posts quickly by your turquoise shoelaces. :rolleyes:

Off topic, HedaP, but is your new avatar a picture of your dual purpose Camino shower shoes/evening sandals? Very similar to mine and I usually wear them with socks on my spring caminos. I'll have to get used to seeing your new photo, I always recognized your posts quickly by your turquoise shoelaces. :rolleyes:
Yep, they are. I miss my old avatar too. :( But I liked it so much I used it as my identity on other sites so based on yet another piece of useful advice from this forum, I had to make a few changes.

I went to our local Morrisons (supermarket here in UK), bought two scallops; shells and all. Cooked the scallops with chorizo and served to Peregrino Tez with a salad!

After drilling a hole and adding some string the shells have now completed two caminos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carry mine on my backpack - I got it from the Confraternity in London before my first Camino in 2013. I write in indelible ink the start and end point of every camino along the ridges inside the shell as a reminder of camino miles walked.
I was told later that one shouldn't carry a shell until after you arrive in Santiago for the first time as a symbol of completion but I think it's really a matter of how you feel ! My shell means rather a lot to me now.....:)

Last edited:
Presently, ie September 2018, all who desire scallops are not necessarily pilgrims. Read more about the controversial fishing rights to Coquilles Saint Jacques in the waters between France and Britain here.

my smallish scallop becomes the rucksack from which is is never removed.
I happened to have an anorak string that resembles the blue one on the signs...
20180818_194357 (1).jpg

on my day pack I have my scallop bell, and when I am on Camino this gets on my neck bag..
my good luck charm too...

20180804_194531.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.