• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Send-off with Prayers and Blessing

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
I am an Episcopal priest who will be walking the Camino as part of my sabbatical time. It will be a time of intentional discernment, prayer and openness to the grace of God. I am planning a Pilgrim Send-off and Blessing on my last Sunday before I leave. Has anyone on this forum had such a liturgy and if so, what prayers, etc. were used? I am thinking especially of Terry B. in England (an Anglican priest) but there may be others who are clergy who desired the prayers and blessing for the sending forth from their congregations for this time apart. So often we clergy are the ones who offer blessing and God-speed. In this case, I am the one asking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Portia 1,
I saw my name was mentioned! The prayers used by Bishop John of Plymouth were adaped from
miscellaneous-topics/topic3723.html#p20131
The context was just before the final Blessing at an early morning Holy Communion at Exeter Cathedral.
In my case Bishop John volunteered to drive the 40 miles or so to Exeter from Plymouth for an 8.00 a.m. service. I was deeply moved by his generosity and spiritual care for me.
Enjoy your Sabbatical as well as your Pilgrimage!

Every Blessing and Buen Camino
Terry

We had a blessing in our church last September (including the bikes - neither they nor we are ordained but even so...) and like Terry we and our vicar adapted something we had found on here. And after some searching in my email inbox I have found the following - I think we tweaked it a little but .... (photos of the bikes and Peter and I and the priest in church are on our blog - Sept 08)

C: Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R: Who made heaven and earth.

C: The Lord be with you.
R: And also with you.

Let us pray.
O Lord whose word makes all things holy, bless we beseech you these emblems, rucksacks and bikes to be used on this pilgrimage. May all those who use them arrive safely at the shrine of St. James the Apostle, the objective of their journey. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

PRAYER
All-powerful God, you always show mercy toward those who you love and you are never far away for those who seek you. Be with your servants on this pilgrimage and guide their way in accord with your will. Be a companion for them along their journey, a guide at crossroads, strength in their weariness, defence before dangers, shelter on the way, shade against the heat, light in the darkness, a comforter in their discouragements, and firmness in their intentions, in order that, through your guidance, they might arrive unscathed at the end of their journey and, enriched with graces and virtues, they might return safely home; through Jesus Christ Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

BLESSING AT THE BEGINNING OF A JOURNEY
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always on your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields and,
until your journey’s end,
May God hold you safely in the palm of his hand.

May the blessing of Almighty God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, descend on you.

Amen.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Terry and Bridget! Exactly the kind of information I was seeking. We are having one service that Sunday so that everyone can be present together. At the end, we'll gather for an ice cream social and an opportunity for the interested to ask further questions, look everything over one more time, etc. The Bishop is meeting me when I return so there will be a great thanksgiving at that time!

Five weeks from today -- and this very hour, I will be airborne and on my way to Spain. So much to get done! That's why I'm trying to get this bulletin together as soon as possible so the "last minute didn't anticipate"s will have the time they require. Thank you for your assistance. If anyone else has suggestions, please post them as well. When it is done, I will post it so that if there are others interested, it will be here.

Here is a Blessing I wrote down to go with knotted rosaries/chaplets I am making to sell along the Camino or exchange for food/bed. These are made from cording and are very lightweight. They hang nicely from my backpack and are a wonderful meditation each morning before walking. I thought I'd ask maybe 5 Euros each for them. What do you think?

They have either a St. James cross or a St. James medal on them. The medals have a slightly different prayer. I borrowed portions of the prayers from various ones I found on the internet:

Crucifix: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.

Large Knot: Blessed be the Lord, who has called me to this challenge of Pilgrimage.

Three Small Knots: May Hope, Faith, and Charity guide my steps.

Large Knot: Santiago, as I journey to your city in the love of your name, please bless my Camino.

10 Small Knots:
Thank you for being my constant companion,
My guide at the crossroads,
My breath when I'm weary,
My food when I'm hungry,
My water when I'm thirsty,
My protection in danger,
My shade in the heat,
My shelter in the rain,
My light in the darkness,
and my comfort when I'm discouraged.

Large Knot:
May our Lady of Roncevalles grant me her motherly protection.

10 Small Knots:
Help me to be honest
Taking every opportunity to help others,
To be patient and kind,
To give generously, and put the needs of others first,
To persevere in the face of adversity,
To practice self-control in thought, word, and deed,
To keep my sense of humor in all situations,
To be humble and appreciate what is given me,
To treat others as I would have them treat me,
To quietly bear pain and hardship.

Large Knot: May St. Raphael the Archangel protect me throughout my journey.
Large Knot: And may God bless me as I walk

Small Knot: Under the bright, blessed stars of the Milky Way,
Small Knot: My goal ever before me,
Small Knot: the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela.

Crucifix: In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen.

AnnieSantiago - how sweet those are ... if you make them at refuges, so other pilgrims see you doing it, you will find it much easier to sell them as they will come to you - (I would like one - will pm you).

Yes, who will bless those who bless?

"As you follow the Way
May God bless you with discomfort at your own easy answers, half truths, superficial relationships, so that you will learn to live deep within your heart.

As you walk
May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people so that you will fill your heart with the desire for justice, equality and peace.

As you carry your load
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that you will reach out your hand to comfort them and change their pain into joy.

As you enter the Cathedral at Santiago
May God bless you with the foolishness to think that you can make a difference in the world, so that when you return home you will do the things which others tell you cannot be done."

and may the Good God bless you Portia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was looking for prayers and blessings for the Camino, and thank the Lord they're here! Annie, I'd be interested in helping with your chaplets, it sounds like a worthy cause.
Buen Camino <----ANOTHER BLESSING :)
8) WanderingChristian :arrow:

WanderingChristian said:
I was looking for prayers and blessings for the Camino, and thank the Lord they're here! Annie, I'd be interested in helping with your chaplets, it sounds like a worthy cause.

There is a medieval blessing of scrip and staff for a pilgrim's departure. My vicar kindly used it in 2011, prior to my departure for the camino Portuguese. Send me a PM to pilgrim@calig.co.uk if you'd like a copy.

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

WanderingChristian said:

Your signature isn't from the Blessed Fr. Mychal Judge who died with his beloved firefighters on 9/11, is it?

FooteK said:
WanderingChristian said:

Your signature isn't from the Blessed Fr. Mychal Judge who died with his beloved firefighters on 9/11, is it?

It is, actually :D . I have always had a special place in my heart for the Franciscan Order. I was watching the documentary that Netflix did about Father Mychal called The Saint of 9/11, and it was very moving. When they were talking about how he held an AIDS patient in his arms and rocked him to sleep, I was in tears. As Christians, we are called to love all humanity unconditionally, just as the Father loves us. IMNSHO, that love is perfectly embodied in the brown robe and sandals of a Franciscan friar.

I just saw this post!
The chaplets were a wonderful part of my Camino and I had at least one or two "Camino Miracles" as a result of them.

That was 4 years ago, in 2009.
Last year, I made them for the people in my walking group.
I had several people stop and ask where I got mine.
I wish I had carried more!

Dear All,
My Camino blessings have already started to arrive.
From some of the posts I was concerned I would have difficulty finding a scallop shell on my part of the Camino (starting in Logrono). I found Pilgrim Supplies in a section of e-bay and ordered one for myself and my walking partner. They arrived in very good time considering they were shipped from England (I am USA). Not only the shells, but two sets of earplugs and two small packets of seeds to plant along the Camino. What other blessings await me?
I am fortunate to be a member of a Baptist congregation which is very liturgical and they are anxious to give me a blessing prior to my leaving home. I am touched and humbled they are doing this for me. Future Pilgrims, ask your pastor or priest if they will do this for you. Also, if your church has a stamp (even those simple informational types) let that be your first Credencial stamp.
Peace to you all,
Deborah

...Not only the shells, but two sets of earplugs and two small packets of seeds to plant along the Camino. ...Deborah

Please DO NOT plant seeds that are not indigenous to the region as they could be harmful to other plants.

I understand your concerns. These are marigold seeds the product of those brought from the New World to Spain in the early 1500's and which are now considered native to all of Europe. The seeds I have were packaged by the Society of Pilgrim Friars and I feel it is safe to plant them along the Camino. Again, thank you for your concern. As a Southerner in the US I understand the danger of species transplant: We loose hundreds of acres to kudzu each year.
Blessings,
Deborah

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On each of my pilgrimages, the local priest has used the attached - a medieval pilgrim's blessing. If this fails to appear [!!!] send me an e-mail!
C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.gif

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back