• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Tips and Packing List Camino Book

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thx. I'll make sure to download it tomorrow. Looking forward to it and Thx. :cool:

jnoval said:
Thx. I'll make sure to download it tomorrow. Looking forward to it and Thx. :cool:

You are welcome!Hope you like it ;-) SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you very much for the free download . I am sure it will be full of sound advise which I will put in good use in Sept13. Thanks again.

Thankyou so much for the free download that is now securely on my kindle :grin:
I was amazed by the fact proclaimed in the 2nd paragraph- that around a third of all starters give up in the first few days.
I am currently planning my camino for 2014 and I haven't even thought of the possibility of not completing my walk. I am trying to do all the right things and reading all opinions on all the varied topics on the forums but my naivity has denied me future failures. I am hoping that with the right amount of planning and positivity, Santiago will be reached.
Again thankyou so much for sharing your knowledge, thoughts and wisdom-and all for free!

I just downloaded your book. Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to reading it. (And hopefully it will help me gather supplies :D)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just downloaded to my phone and I can't wait to get off work to take a peek. Thx again for making it available. :smile:

Thank you for the heads-up. I look forward to reading your book. The more info I can gather, the better!

Thank you all for your kind words! Please feel free to share the link to the free book with anybody that is interested in walking the Camino ;-) SY

I downloaded and read your book immediately. It eas well done and I appreciate the info provided and l8ved the anecdotes. My husband and I will be leavi g June 20, first for some sightseeing, a visit to Fatima then on the 25th we will vegin our walk from Valenca. One day I hope to do the Frances. God will make a way. Peace and thanis for the free download.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Got it...Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A great book, we downloaded it on Saturday.
We are one of your oddities - we had to buy extra (thick) fleeces 3 years ago due to unseasonably cold weather :) Even the locals were complaining.
How much will the book be for those who missed your free offer?

Hi, thanks for all your kind comments! The book is now back to the paid version. Sorry, Amazon doesn't allow me more than 5 free days any 90 days period ;-( The price is back to $4.99 for the US Kindle version. The price in other countries varies depending on where you actually live. That is something Amazon does and I can't influence, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Update available!

It seems that the book doesn't display nicely on all devices :shock: and that there were some formatting problems (font-size / TOC). If that is your case, there is good news: Since yesterday is a new version available and hopefully we have now killed all formatting gremlins and you can enjoy the book without problems! Unfortunately Amazon doesn't show it yet as "update available", but there is a workaround:

Go to "Your Account > Manage Your Kindle"
Find the book and select "Deliver to my ..." from the actions drop-down menu at the right.
Select device and click "deliver" and the book will be updated on your device.

That is all, and yes, these kind of updates are free. One of the joys of e-publishing ;-) SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shoot! Missed it. Please give Link (if they´ll let you). Or better, PM me. Tracy

Priscillian said:
Shoot! Missed it. Please give Link (if they´ll let you). Or better, PM me. Tracy

Hi Tracy, the link to my book is in my signature here ;-) But if you, or anybody else, has a Camino / travel / hiking related website and would like a free review copy I am happy to send them out! Just pm me your email address, the url of your website and which format (mobi for Kindle or PDF) you would like your review copy in and I send you one. SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
http://fwscanlan.wix.com/caminobambino

Hi,
Having walked two major routes, the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata, and bits of others taking my total to well over 2,000 kilometres I was very disappointed not to have met a single fellow Scot in all my wanderings.
To bring the beauty and uniqueness of the Camino to their attention, I wrote a crime thriller, "Death on the Camino" describing the adventures of two young Scots attempting the Camino Frances for the first time. They experience the highs and lows of the Camino and some unexpected elements: two warring TV channels, one attempting a reality television extravaganza with 'celebrities' walking part of the route, the other intent on disrupting this; a murderous group of religious fanatics shadowing the unsuspecting Scots with murderous intent, to say nothing a supernatural thread, an irreverent spoof of Da Vinci Code - Leonardo Zip?
The book is FREE till the 11th of June, so check it out on Kindle, visit the web page listed above for practical advice for first-time pilgrims. Find me, Willie Scanlan, on Facebook to get you there. Cheers!

Willie Scanlan said:

Hi,
Having walked two major routes, the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata, and bits of others taking my total to well over 2,000 kilometres I was very disappointed not to have met a single fellow Scot in all my wanderings.
To bring the beauty and uniqueness of the Camino to their attention, I wrote a crime thriller, "Death on the Camino" describing the adventures of two young Scots attempting the Camino Frances for the first time. They experience the highs and lows of the Camino and some unexpected elements: two warring TV channels, one attempting a reality television extravaganza with 'celebrities' walking part of the route, the other intent on disrupting this; a murderous group of religious fanatics shadowing the unsuspecting Scots with murderous intent, to say nothing a supernatural thread, an irreverent spoof of Da Vinci Code - Leonardo Zip?
The book is FREE till the 11th of June, so check it out on Kindle, visit the web page listed above for practical advice for first-time pilgrims. Find me, Willie Scanlan, on Facebook to get you there. Cheers!

The Amazon Kindle site is not showing your new book as "free" as of this morning (6 June )

€83,-
The OP says it was free for 5 days - in April and also (later) that only 5 free days in 90 days is allowed by Amazon. Maybe it will come up free again (?), but it would be worth paying for any way. We were fortunate enough to see the notice and get a free copy.

Tia Valeria said:
The OP says it was free for 5 days - in April and also (later) that only 5 free days in 90 days is allowed by Amazon. Maybe it will come up free again (?), but it would be worth paying for any way. We were fortunate enough to see the notice and get a free copy.

Actually, I was responding to Willie Scanlan (who I quoted) who wrote that his book was available free until 11 June.

grayland said:
Willie Scanlan said:

Hi,

The Amazon Kindle site is not showing your new book as "free" as of this morning (6 June )
Added: In reply to Willie Scanlan...not the OP

@Willie Scanlan

Wouldn't it have been better if you had started your own thread about your book? As you can see it is confusing for people to know which book is free at the moment. SY

Hi, me again, my book (Kindle version) is now also available for a reduced price (Count Down Deal starting at $0.99) on Amazon.com. Starting today until 20th February. Feel free to share http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCQ4YLG/?tag=casaivar02-20 Thanks, SY

Manual update posted with Ivar's permission. Thanks Ivar! SY

Bought the book.......it will bee a great help in getting ready for my upcoming Camino! Thanks got putting together such a great resource.

Hi Monk Moses and very sorry for the late reply! I simply didn't get the notification email for it. I am glad that my book is useful for you. Buen Camino, SY

Hi everybody, book is now free again for a few days!

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk

For all other Amazons, where it is also free, just search for the title.
Enjoy! SY

PS Feel free to tell others about this free download ;-)

Just bought your book :) I missed the freebie but it's showing as discounted to 4.99 so that's a great deal!

I'm excited to read it and benefit from your knowledge. Thank you!

You are welcome AngelM, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Buen Camino! SY

SYates -- I purchased your book before we walked in 2013 and found it helpful then. This string reminded me of it and I recently re-read it! Thanks. What a gold mine of information. And always presented as advice and not dictates. I didn't do everything you advised and sometimes I regretted it, other not. But you provided lots of food for thought and ideas for planning! Thanks again. Liz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Liz for your kind words! I am very glad that you found the book helpful and even more glad that you took it as 'food for thought' and not as an absolute that was exactly the approach I had in mind whilst writing it. Buen Camino! SY

Wow! I was just on Amazon debating if I needed to buy this book or if I would have access to the same information on this forum. I even have access to the author! The fact that you try to give it away is even a greater testimony to the spirit of the pilgrim that you try to live. Feel free to comment on any of my posts.

Thank you.

You are welcome Papist Giant ;-) I will keep an eye out for your posts and if you have any specific questions you don't want to ask publicly feel free to send me a PM. Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, a little post-Christmas New Year gift for you, the Kindle version (link is in my signature) is available for free at the moment on all Amazons. Enjoy, happy reading and Buen Camino, SY
PS Feel free to share this also with other Camino groups you are part of.

Last edited:

€83,-
Thank you SY!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, a little post-Christmas New Year gift for you, the Kindle version (link is in my signature) is available for free at the moment on all Amazons. Enjoy, happy reading and Buen Camino, SY
PS Feel free to share this also with other Camino groups you are part of.
My apologies guess not all that tech savy cant find the link

Glad you got it, enjoy reading it and when you have your own book ready feel free to contact me about some publishing tips! Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad you got it, enjoy reading it and when you have your own book ready feel free to contact me about some publishing tips! Buen Camino, SY

Really, wow thanks. ..i will take you up on that. ..i will need all the help i can get! ! :)

Really, wow thanks. ..i will take you up on that. ..i will need all the help i can get! ! :)

Just ask for help and it will be given to you, here on the forum and on the Camino. The hardest part is sometimes to accept help, especially for those like us that are so used to help others first. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
IMHO this is an excellent resource. A "must read" for anyone preparing for the Camino.

I am blushing right now! Thanks for your kind words! Please feel free (everybody!) to share the link with other Camino groups you are part of, the more the merrier, and I really enjoy gifting it to other pilgrims - my little way to give back what I have received so abundantly. Buen Camino, SY

The link is in my signature just below the post, but here it is again My Book (Free at the Moment!): Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago just for you ;-) Click the blue text and make sure to chose the (free) Kindle version and not the paid paperback. Happy reading, SY
Thanks very much,
It was a challenge to get this book at Amazon.ca, as I was only able to get the sample and could not find any way to order it, free or otherwise. However, by using the your link to Amazon.com, I was able to transfer to Amazon.ca and download it for free. I appreciate your generosity and am looking forward to reading the book.

To find the book on your local amazon:

Open your local amazon website.
Copy the following text in the search bar: Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago: What you need to know beforehand, what you need to take, and what you can leave at home
Hit enter.
Click on the first result.
Make sure that Kindle version is selected and that it is still free.
Click buy now.
Check email to make double sure that you downloaded it for free.

If you don't have a Kindle download the free Kindle App for phone, tablet or computer to read this book and many others.

Hope the steps above are fool proof, tell me if you run into any problems on the Amazon Camino ;-) SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just ask for help and it will be given to you, here on the forum and on the Camino. The hardest part is sometimes to accept help, especially for those like us that are so used to help others first. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, extremely difficult for me. ..I rather stands in the rain even when I am offered am umbrella. Ive only been on the forum for a few days and it feels like I found friends and family already! ! ;)

You will learn to accept help when walking the camino, I am sure of that! Hugs, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
'Only' and 'Camino' never belong in the same sentence for me ;-)

@MaggieFitz I hope your camino becomes reality very soon! SY
Thanks, SY. I have family obligations to sort (son w/disability growing to independence) before I can do it as I'd like to. In the meantime, I am a grateful receiver of the insights that you all have shared from your journeys.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everybody, the free promo will end soon, so get it whilst you can ;-) Amazon only allows authors to set their Kindle books for free 5 in every 90 days .... Buen Camino, SY

PS Please do feel free to share this with anybody that might be interested, either individuals or Camino groups. The more the merrier!

Hi @SYates - Is the promo over? I clicked the link, and the Kindle version is showing up at $3.99, so perhaps the it is over. Anyway, I'm a long-time lurker. My wife and I have been planning to do the Camino Frances for several years now. Then, in the last few weeks, it all just came together - my wife got approved for her vacation and last night, we bought our plane tickets! Our trip is scheduled April 28-June 30. We are planning to spend ~6 weeks on the Camino Frances and then use the rest of the time to visit other places (Lourdes, Fatima, Paris...).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes it is, forgot to edit the thread title, just did it. Sorry for the confusion :oops: Glad that all came together for you and your wife, I am sure you will have the journey of a lifetime. Enjoy every single step! Buen Camino, SY

Kindle version now available for $0.99 (and equivalent in your local currency) - Happy reading and Buen Camino, SY

Hola SY - I have just made the decision to purchase both versions of your great book. I think from what you have advised above there are "updates" available. I will (when time permits) review the above & come back if I have questions. Thanks to you and Daphne for writing this book. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Saint Mike II
The book is really meant for new pilgrims without previous Camino experience, I fear you might know most of it already! But I am always thankful for feedback from experienced pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

@Saint Mike II
The book is really meant for new pilgrims without previous Camino experience, I fear you might know most of it already! But I am always thankful for feedback from experienced pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY
Hi SY - you are probably right about my level of knowledge - but I like to support Camino "Friends" - and I have a motto - you can always learn something knew. Besides - some of the stories give me a laugh. Cheers

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.