• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Tradition No More

Adrianne

Hello Fellow Perrigrinos:

I may have been one of the last pilgrims to partake in the centuries old tradition of placing one's hand in the time worn print of other pilgrims, and touched my head upon "St. Bump" to gain his knowledge.

I arrived in Santiago late in the afternoon of May 30. Had the privilege and opportunity to partake of thse time-honored traditions. Only to have my travelling companion told by a guard that they could look, but not touch! The next day, the tree of knowledge was barred off, enabling you to look, but dare not touch.

Want all my fellow pilgrims to know about this most recent change. I would have been heartbroken to arrive in Santiago, expecting to take part in a nearly thousand year old tradition, only to learn that the tradition is no more!

Adrianne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La Voz de Galicia today has an article were the headline says something like "The biggest restoration project since its creation starts", referring to the portico de la gloria. It mentions that it will be done for the holy year in 2010.

It has been closed off by a metal fence for a while now, making it not possible to touch the column. But that fence might have been taken down for this new remodeling? Not sure...

[added later: Here is a link to El Correo Gallego with more on this.]

Saludos,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was certainly cordoned off when we arrived on the 29th of May.

Mind you, the rain that day was almost apocalyptical, so we were too saturated to hang around.

When I was there in May, it was blocked off.

However, one of my traveling companions is blind and when the security personnel saw him standing by the pillar, they offered to let him touch it. We were quite pleased that he was given the opportunity as the Camino was obviously a very tactile and auditory experience for him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back