• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Traditions and Personal Rituals

kincaidcrigler

Hello again!

You might recognize me from the question I posted earlier on here about humor and the Camino. I'm a student from the College of William & Mary in Virginia doing research on the Camino for the next few weeks, and I'm interested in using this forum as a way to gather stories from Camino veterans for my research.

In addition to looking at the role that humour plays on the Camino, I'm also interested in what people on here think about both established pilgrim traditions (seeing the botafumeiro swing and hugging the apostle in Santiago to stacking stones by the side of the trail) and the little rituals that pilgrims find themselves performing as they go (brushing your teeth a certain way, writing in a journal or making sketches in your spare time) Do you have a Camino tradition or personal ritual that's meaningful to you? You don't have to have made multiple Caminos, I'm looking for either your reaction to something lots of pilgrims "do" or to hear about something you found yourself doing regularly when walking.
A bit of background about your Camino experience would be much appreciated as well.

Have you ever been surprised by your reaction to a Camino tradition? If so, in what way?
Did you feel yourself to be a more or less creative person while on the Camino?

I will not write down your name or any other identifying information in my notes, or in any public talks or publications that result from my research. Feel free to contact me with questions.

My own Camino begins on the first of June. Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Camino Rituals

I am not sure if I have ever heard anyone who had what would be considered a "ritual".

Most people do the Camino once and really don't have time to build up rituals. Those of us who don't seem to be able to stay away seem (for the most part) to try to get a different experience with each Camino..thus no much in the way of "rutuals" that I am aware of.

Unless you are talking about eating live chickens on the 23rd hour of the 23rd day of walking.

Re: Camino Activities and Rituals

Thanks for your feedback. I changed my explanation a little bit which I hope will better capture my meaning. Traditions is probably a better word to describe what I'm looking for: people who had strong reactions to both established the pilgrim traditions along their route (like hugging Santiago) or the little habits/traditions/rituals that pilgrims find themselves falling into on the trail, like writing in a journal after dinner.

They can be anything, really. I just want to know whether things like that are important to people's internal experience on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Traditions have changed over the years.

Wearing the scallop shell on the way home was a tradition which changed in the modern era when pilgrims started wearing their shells on the way to Santiago - the majority don't wear it after they have reached the city.

One reads of the tradition of planting a cross in memory of Roland's soldiers at the foot of the Pass when crossing from France into Spain.

I have never read about the placing a stone at the base of the Cruz de Ferro being a medieval tradition (besides the usual adding of a stone to mark the way) but it has become a modern one.

Carrying pieces of limestone from Triacastela to the lime kilns in Castañeda to be processed to help build the Cathedral was a tradition in the 12th C.

Laying your hand on the tree of Jesse in the Portico de la Gloria was an old tradition that was stopped a few years ago due to the damage it has done to the pillar.

Catherine Gasquoine quotes Molina who wrote that "the head of the Glorious apostle is carried around the cathedral on feast days... " (Thank heavens that is no longer a tradition!)

Changing clothes for new cleaner garments used to take place on the roof of the cathedral at the Cruz de Farrapos (Cross of the Clothes) but that died when the Camino died 400 years ago.

Burning clothes at Fistera was a tradition but now - just very recently - pilgrims are no longer allowed to burn clothes at the lighthouse at Finisterre.

My own personal ritual - before leaving the Albergue in the morning check your pack, check under your bunk, check the washrooms, kitchen, common room and drying room, and your pack again. And only when you are certain you have got all your gear start walking.

This ritual arose after I had completed the first couple of k's out of Najera, up and over the little hill through the Zona Natural and found myself wondering why the pilgrim in front was wearing water-proof trousers on a fine morning. Then I wondered where my waterproof trousers were. And then I had a clear vision of the drying room of the municipal Albergue in Najera, third hook from the end ...

The Zona Natural was, possibly, even prettier the second and third times that morning.

Every day on the Camino is like the guy who jumped off of a 200 floor building.
As he passed each floor he was heard saying "So far so good"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My only ritual is on arrival in Santiago. On my first Camino on leaving the cathedral I bumped into 2 Canadian peregrinas who I'd met and lost along the way. They took me to a bar and sat me down with a beer. After we'd split up and I'd gone to get my Compostela I found another bar and sat down alone to think about what it all meant.

I've gone back to the same 2 places in the same order on both subsequent arrivals, and try to sit as close as possible to where I sat the first time. I don't know why really, maybe just a way of linking the experiences and the excitement of arrival.

Buen Camino!

My personal rituals are two. Pausing at the end of each camino day to give thanks for the comfort of a simple albergue shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk), a working toilet, a hot shower, something to eat and, if possible, the warm companionship of fellow pilgrims. Similarly pausing at dawn thankful for continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of living another camino day.

Carpe diem!

Margaret

I'm such a dis-organized person, there is no way I have any rituals, but then I do put on my right boot on first, & I do put my right leg thru' my knickers first too :lol: ; I'm probably mad! :lol:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
mspath said:
My personal rituals are two. Pausing at the end of each camino day to give thanks for the comfort of a simple albergue shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk), a working toilet, a hot shower, something to eat and, if possible, the warm companionship of fellow pilgrims. Similarly pausing at dawn thankful for continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of living another camino day.

Carpe diem!

Margaret

What a wonderful ritual to adopt, Margaret. I give thanks from time to time, but not as a ritual. I will adopt this when I walk in September.

mspath said:

Carpe diem!

Margaret

Alas, a pilgrim after my own heart. Even on the Camino we can get too wrapped up or too tuckered out to take the time to thank, to be grateful, and to begin the day with joy.

These are wonderful, folks. It's been wonderful learning about the little things people do that make their camino experience that much more personal and meaningful. Keep it up, buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.