• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage #5: The Italian Caper

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
I never realized when we did our first Camino ten years ago how many doors we were opening.

We're off in a few weeks, this time from Nice to Rome, taking the via della Costa to the via Francigena.

We'll be on mountain bikes. Maybe we'll see some of you on the trail!

Ultreya!

Newf

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
newfydog said:
I never realized when we did our first Camino ten years ago how many doors we were opening.

We're off in a few weeks, this time from Nice to Rome, taking the via della Costa to the via Francigena.

Ultreya!

Newf

Look forward to reading your stories

Neville
An Italian Odyssey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Neville,

I enjoyed reading your book last week. We'll have a bit of an advantage, in that we have a good GPS track to follow and won't have the as many frustrations in route finding. Unfortunately, we don't have your skills in the Italian language, so we won't take in as much local color.

I need to sort through your book and pick out a few special places to stay. We'll give them your best regards.

-Newf

newfydog said:
Hi Neville,

I enjoyed reading your book last week. We'll have a bit of an advantage, in that we have a good GPS track to follow and won't have the as many frustrations in route finding. Unfortunately, we don't have your skills in the Italian language, so we won't take in as much local color.

I need to sort through your book and pick out a few special places to stay. We'll give them your best regards.

-Newf

Hi Newf

Glad you enjoyed our book. There has been many changes and improvements to the Via Francigena since we walked it back in 2008. So I think you will have a grand time as you head south towards Rome. Don't forget to time out to enjoy the fine food and wine along the way too!

Cheers

Neville
PS Some photos from the walk to inspire others to follow in your footsteps
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=982628

newfydog said:

Ultreya!

Newf

I write this from Sydney airport. Tomorrow I arrive Rome and Sunday start walking towards Santiago. Via Francigena to Sarzana, Via della Costa to French Border.....

Maybe we'll meet!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking the Via Francigena early May. Any and all advice needed. Need to fly from Barcelona to London first. Then...how to get to Canterbury and where to stay there.
Thank you
Lillian

MermaidLilli said:
I am walking the Via Francigena early May. Any and all advice needed. Need to fly from Barcelona to London first. Then...how to get to Canterbury and where to stay there.
Thank you
Lillian

We will do the northern part of the Francigena later, maybe this fall. I've found a few good mountain bike routes on Garmin connect with nice trails from Heathrow to Canterbury, so we'll do that by trail to see a bit more of England.

Well, after 1000 kilometers, four flat tires, three broken spokes, crashes into hay, mud and nettles,we are in Rome. quite a trip, with some of the best and some of the less than best of the pilgrimage trails we've seen. The mud and nettles are the fun parts, the traffic in Genoa, well, a bus would be a good idea. I'll put a summary together sometime when we return. We now are only missing a short segment near Toulouse to complete Santiago to Rome.

We only saw a few pellegrinis, A few walking every day, and only four bikers the entire trip. Italian drivers, dogs, restaurant owners and passerbys are all very kind.

From here we have a unique route back......car to Livorno, ferry to Corsica, ferry to Nice, the town we flew into. Paid the British airway extortion so that we don,t get two middle seats again.

now, what to do next?

Newf

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The son of a friend bicycled with two friends from London to Istanbul mostly camping. The only "disaster" was at a fork in the road. Literally. One of them ran into a (pitch)fork in the road, which tangled the spokes, destroyed the wheel, and caused a fair number of abrasions to the cyclist.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.