• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Pilgrimage back home from Santiago

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
One every year since 2007
Next year (2018) I'll be 80 young and after many Caminos since 2007 I think it to be time and return "home" from a last pilgrimage. I should fly to Santiago de Compostela, walk to Pamplona, from where to fly back home. I hope to still be very fit for walking, but the transatlantic flights to/from Spain are becoming a burden, not to speak of the expense, thus excluding future Caminos.
I would start from mid May. Having already done once the backtrack from Santiago to Sarria, when I missed the trail at one stage (without serious troubles to get back on the track), I suppose that it may happen again: the yellow arrows pointing towards Santiago cannot be seen (obviously) from "ahead" (the wrong way in this case).
Supposedly I can stay in pilgrims' albergues (beds permitting) without too much "convincing", and since I will be on familiar grounds, this "return pilgrimage" could be a wonderful thank you to Santiago for all past blessings received.
Still a year to go, but planning is fun. Anyone wants to join?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Next year (2018) I'll be 80 young and after many Caminos since 2007 I think it to be time and return "home" from a last pilgrimage. I should fly to Santiago de Compostela, walk to Pamplona, from where to fly back home. I hope to still be very fit for walking, but the transatlantic flights to/from Spain are becoming a burden, not to speak of the expense, thus excluding future Caminos.
I would start from mid May. Having already done once the backtrack from Santiago to Sarria, when I missed the trail at one stage (without serious troubles to get back on the track), I suppose that it may happen again: the yellow arrows pointing towards Santiago cannot be seen (obviously) from "ahead" (the wrong way in this case).
Supposedly I can stay in pilgrims' albergues (beds permitting) without too much "convincing", and since I will be on familiar grounds, this "return pilgrimage" could be a wonderful thank you to Santiago for all past blessings received.
Still a year to go, but planning is fun. Anyone wants to join?

Hi Fraluchi! I have walked 'backwards' down the Frances twice now (last year in winter) and both times was an 'experience'! Be prepared to be told 20 times a day that you are going 'the wrong way', and that locals are likely to chase you to tell you so! One thing I found interesting was the reaction from other pilgrims, some will be interested and chat about what you are doing, some will be almost hostile (I was ignored in a few albergues by the pilgrims there on a few occasions, and called a freak to my face on one occasion too). Some pilgrims just don't 'get it'.

Wayfinding is problematic, but most of the time you can see pilgrims coming towards you and head that way. Or ask 'which way is France?'! I had to resort to maps.me with the route outlined on my mobile on a few occasions, but overall it is fine.

You will have no problems with albergues, the one group of people who will understand what you are doing completely are the albergue hospitalero's, they see people walking back often. You wont be turned away at all, in fact in some albergues you will have priority over those heading towards Santiago (apart from the ill of course).

You will pass every pilgrim every day, (you may get tired of all the Buen Camino's!), and you will only meet pilgrims to chat to in albergues and in cafe's. It can be a lonely experience, but if you are happy with that it is worthwhile.

I would like to walk back from Santiago again one year, preferably in winter again, it was an amazing experience!

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Davey

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We made our return from Santiago into a 'return home' in a different way. Our credenciales were stamped in Santiago, then we turned the page and as we worked our slow way home had it stamped where we stayed and at the places we visited. First stamp was from Nate and Faith at Pilgrim House and the final one back at Exeter in the Cathedral again. It made a real difference to our feeling of completion as we had already said that 2015 was our last actual Camino.
Trust that it is all that you hope for @fraluchi and as you continue as a pilgrim through life at home.

You only have to walk backwards to see the arrows!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was 79 when I walked my first camino and at the end I said 'not again'. After three more caminos I want to back again. So never say 'never again'

Dear David, this is one of my favourite stories about you to share with new pilgrim friends! :) (Please send me a private message on here when you see this!)

Rachel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Back