• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage is the art of ancient travel....

voyagermoon

Pilgrimage is the art of ancient travel. Pilgrimage harks back to forever, when human beings set out on journeys from which they might not return, journeys they knew would transform the rest of their lives – journeys that were worth every risk because, live or die, to deny the call was to close the door on life and that meant certain death anyway: death to the spirit.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pilgrimage harks back to forever, when human beings set out on journeys from which they might not return, journeys they knew would transform the rest of their lives – journeys that were worth every risk because, live or die, to deny the call was to close the door on life and that meant certain death anyway: death to the spirit.
I don't think we can say "forever." Pilgrimage is a post-agriculture activity, maybe even a post-Jesus activity. For five million years before that, we wandered in search of food, water, and climate, not a holy destination. Even in the last thousand years, I am not sure that the door on life was closed absent a pilgrimage. Disease and death may have been more prevalent on a pilgrimage than at home, given cholera, small pox, and bandits, thus a bit more of a door-closing than a door-opening. Billions on earth right now have never heard of a pilgrimage, and I doubt that most of them think that the door on life has been closed to them. To themselves, their spirit is quite alive. As much as many of us love the Caminos, if kept in perspective, it is a bit of a self-indulgence (poetry aside). I am quite proud of my achievement, but I sincerely doubt that any transformation elevates me above anyone else.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
African Animists trekked to sacred places long before Christendom. Aboriginal animists certainly made 'pilgrimages' to holy rocks and places in Australia too.
Pilgrimage is not the preserve of Christians, Hindus started building temples over 4000 years ago and I'm sure many thousands of pilgrims trekked to see them.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back