• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - kindle/paper?

AngelM

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Is the "Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" a book that I should really get in paperback? Like, will j be madly scribbling notes inside? Adding it to my pack for the walk? Using it as a coffee table book?

Or is this something I should get for my kindle to read while I'm awake and dreaming of hikes to come in the wee hours of the night?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is the "Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" a book that I should really get in paperback? Like, will j be madly scribbling notes inside? Adding it to my pack for the walk? Using it as a coffee table book?

Or is this something I should get for my kindle to read while I'm awake and dreaming of hikes to come in the wee hours of the night?
Excellent Book.
But I think it is much too large to carry with you (without a Sherpa)
But it is available as a Kindle book.
Buen Camino
Colin

Is the "Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" a book that I should really get in paperback? Like, will j be madly scribbling notes inside? Adding it to my pack for the walk? Using it as a coffee table book? Or is this something I should get for my kindle to read while I'm awake and dreaming of hikes to come in the wee hours of the night?

No idea what this book is. Sorry. But perhaps that tells you what you need to know. If you want to bring material, and have a cell phone, think about taking pictures of the pages of interest and carry less weight. For example, I was walking Del Norte where there are many large cities with some of the best restaurants and museums in the world, things you did not want to miss while resting in the afternoon and evening: I took pictures of the travel guides with adresses, maps and opening hours on my cell and deleted as I went.

If I invested in carrying something with me, it would be regarding the history and architecture of the places I was walking through, rather than just aiming for a specific distance.

You will enjoy yourself no matter what you chose to do. It's not complicated: just let go and enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
: I took pictures of the travel guides with adresses, maps and opening hours on my cell and deleted as I went.

This is a great idea!

Interestingly enough, from what I undertand, that's what this book is too :) it's full of info about the history, and art/architecural stuff. It's not a "hiking guide" it's more like a tour book with information about the places and sites that you pass through. I think it includes all of the various paths too, not just the popular France way.

This is a great idea!

Interestingly enough, from what I undertand, that's what this book is too :) it's full of info about the history, and art/architecural stuff. It's not a "hiking guide" it's more like a tour book with information about the places and sites that you pass through. I think it includes all of the various paths too, not just the popular France way.
I've googled the title but can't find a reference to this book. Who is the author, the editor?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've googled the title but can't find a reference to this book. Who is the author, the editor?
If you search the message board here for it you can find where people recommend it. That's how I heard about it. Someone said it is illustrated or has pictures or something. I can't remember now. My head is swimming in information, lol

I just downloaded the "sample" to my kindle. So I will update with my thoughts in a day or so!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Had never heard of it, but if you tell me it has lots of relevant historical and architectural info, I will take a solid look at it! Thank you for this tip!
400+ pages of historical & architectural information. I enjoyed reading it prior to walking but way to much uni formation to fully absorb/memorise. However, still great to have a paper copy if you're into books.
I think the Kindle edition would be good to have on a phone or reader. I'll probably take one on my next walk.
Buen Camino
Colin

Way too heavy to carry. I have it as a coffee table book. If you are rich you could get the kindle edition too? For me it was something I purchased after my twice walking the Frances so now when I read it at home it enhances my memories and hopefully I remember things when walking.

I have hard copy to read at home but have since also downloaded to my kindle. I will have it at my fingertips when I walk the Camino again. It is far too heavy to carry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this book and use it as a reference quite frequently for my writing projects. I actually carried it on my first Camino trek ... for about 5 days before I sent it via postal service to Santiago where I retrieved it later on. http://spiritualwalkingguides.wordpress.com/about/

Hi AngelM -
The Kindle version's definitely the way to go - at least in the first instance due to the weight of the book. It's a GREAT book. I picked up a second-hand copy on Amazon for about $6 US. It's in really good condition and I like the fact that another pilgrim who will always remain unknown to me, once owned the book and had probably planned their Camino using this book as a fantastic reference tool. The book itself was a bargain but the postage to Australia was a killer - $24! Still, it's worth it!
Cheers and Happy Reading!

I bought this book in Malaga airport last year and if you are doing more than three days I would leave it on the coffee table. e readers are excellent on the camino, with early starts and finishes you can have a lot of down time so more than one book may be needed, even allowing for exploration time, I usually go through two to three on the Frances. A lightweight note book should do well for your notes and you will be tempted to write much more. Travel light and you will enjoy the journey much more.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My used copy from Amazon arrived today. IIRC, it was pricey both new and in Kindle so I quickly bought this one. ($3.99 + $3.99)

I see now that it covers the CF starting from Roncesvalles and two routes from Sallent. The authors DO say that this should be the second book in your pack. It's listed as 1.1 lbs.

Prices are now $18 new, $13 Kindle, used starting at $4.37 (+ $3.99 shipping).

Weight wise Kindle is the way to go, but if you have plenty of time (and are not just knocking off the miles), the paper version is nice for those of us who like the feel and ease of using a "real" book.

It's a thick paperback. I wouldn't call it a coffee table book.

It is the kind of book that is too dense to read - at least for me - except for dipping in and out. A bit like an encyclopaedia. I had the hard copy version for many years but did not get the most out of it until I had the Kindle version. I found the hard copy too heavy to justify carrying.

The Kindle version is now on the Kindle app in my smartphone and it is fabulous for on the trail when I can read about places as I come to them, and stand in front of retablos and know what I am looking at.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.