• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage to Guadalupe

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
I recently walked from Almería to Guadalupe in Extremadura, visiting the ancient monastery there with its black virgin, "Reina de la Hispanidad". At one time it was almost as popular a pilgrimage as Santiago, but has obviously been eclipsed by the huge increase in numbers heading for SdC in the last 20 years or so. They are trying to increase the numbers, and there are many routes that can be taken, several of which leave well marked Jacobeo routes (www.caminosaguadalupe.com). I followed the Camino Mozárabe and had the reassurance of yellow arrows (and frequent albergues) up until 3 days from Guadalupe, while other routes leave from the Vía de la Plata and from the Camino de Levante.

Anyone taking this path is following in illustrious footsteps, as Los Reyes Católicos came here over 20 times between them (and Ferdinand was a couple of days away from a return when he died). Columbus came four times, before and after his trans-Atlantic trips, once bringing a couple of people from the New World to be baptised in what is now the fountain in front of the monastery. Cervantes, kings, queens, saints, emperors and popes are among other pilgrims.

The statue of the virgin looks out over the high altar, or is turned round to face you at eye level in the Camarin de la Virgen, where a monk gives you a medal to kiss as you approach her. The treasures of the monastery are another reason to visit - the largest collection of Zurbaráns in the world, three el Grecos, a couple of Rubens, a Goya, manuscripts, paintings, sculptures and vestments dating back nearly a thousand years.

The hospederia of the monastery is a very decent two star hotel, costing 50€ for a single room, which seemed excellent value to me (although if you try to book online the price jumps 30% or more, so ring them direct). I don't think I've ever slept in a World Heritage Centre before.

The setting is yet another reason to stay. The monastery is in its own secret valley, surrounded by mountains and forests, including some huge ancient chestnuts (one, the Castaño Abuelo, is apparently 800 years old or more). Unamuno, after his visit in 1910, wrote:

“Hermosísimo es, sin duda, cuanto el arte humano puede aún ofrecernos en Guadalupe; más es más hermoso aún lo que allí la Naturaleza nos ofrece... Jamás vi castaños más gigantescos y más tupidos. Y nogales, álamos, alcornoques, robles, quejigos, encinas, fresnos, almendros, alisos junto al regato, y todo ello embalsamado por el olor de perfumadas matas”.

I loved it. Another time I would aim to arrive mid week, as it gets very full at weekends, but the packed pilgrim mass on Sunday was an experience, especially when, in the list of recent arrivals, there was mention of "uno del Reino Unido, desde Almería".

Attachments

• DSC_0775.jpg
    DSC_0775.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 15
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, Alan, this is so stunning. I have been to Guadalupe, but walking in would change the perspective and the feeling dramatically. I'm glad I have more than a year to figure out how I'm going to walk from Almería. You just keep placing too much temptation on my plate. Buen camino, soon you will be on familiar ground, no? Are you planning to walk the Camino de Torres or stick with the Vdlp/Sanabrés? More temptations!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved Guadalupe. Years ago we stayed too in that beautiful hotel! Bought the cookbook by the Fray Cook.
Best experience though is that my partner then and I met a German priest who was travelling the area.
Seeing he had to perform a Mass regularly we had the unexpected joy to attend his private Mass in front of the High Altar. Just the three of us.
I will treasure this the rest of my life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you planning to walk the Camino de Torres or stick with the Vdlp/Sanabrés? More temptations!!!

I don't know, I would like to try the Torres, but I speak 3 words of Portuguese and am nervous that many places might be shut at this time of year, and I won't be able to communicate by telephone, or indeed at all if the average Portuguese is as monoglot as the average rural Spaniard.

Don't have to decide until Salamanca early next week.

it looks great, do you know anything about housing on the routes?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back